Long-term ramifications for Bombers

Talk on the national game

Long-term ramifications for Bombers

Postby TigerBoss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:58 pm

I think Essendon will pay the long-term price of keeping Sheedy as long as they have...the number of "quality" coaches that have served under Sheedy and are now involved in other clubs and doing well is staggering...take "Bomber" Thompson as a good example...Harvey should've been offered the job 2 years ago when Sheedy renewed his contract...

Sheedy's recruiting of 30+ players is quite ridiculous too...he spent the entire trade week chasing 30+ year old Crawford, and now in the PSD, he wants 30+ year old Camporeale, 26 year old Heffernan, an ex-Bomber and is considering luring 33+ year old Mark Mercuri out of retirement...ALL short-term fixes...

Not that I give a sh1t about the biggest cheating mob to have ever played the game, thanks to Sheedy's cunning coaching directives. Note Lloyd and Wanganeen, the 2 biggest divers in the history of the VFL/AFL as evidence...both students of Sheedy...

I loved nothing more than seeing Collingwood and Essendon at the foot of the ladder last season...had Port been down there with them I think I may have totally emptied my sack :shock: . I note with interest too the fixture for the 2006 draw, which STILL has Essendon and Collingwood in BLOCKBUSTER games on Friday Nights, Monday games, including ANZAC Day and Saturday Nights...critical spots in the fixtures...

Only last year Richmond, Carlton and Hawthorn were given the shaft in their fixturing for TV rights due to their shite performances in the 2004 season...that determined the TV fixturing for the 2005 season. WHY the fugg isn't this the same thing for the 2006 season?

Answer: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :evil:
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby spell_check » Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:40 pm

None of that bullshit goes in the SANFL - a reason why we love it.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 184 times

Postby Coorong » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:14 pm

Cant disagree to much with this thread TB. I have met Sheeds professionally and on a personael front Great guy, innovative, approachable and all the rest, but really not a good record over the past few years. Though I am not a rap for Bomber Thompson have heard Harves talk on many occaisions and he will oust Connelly and be successfull.

The two players you mention are the ultimate in playing for free's. Something i detest. LLloyd as captain will be a laghing stock. Simply no brains.

Some doubt over here as to Campo. Seems to have lost favour at Windy Hill and could stay at the Blues.
Coorong
League - Best 21

Been liked: 8 times

Postby TigerBoss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 5:50 pm

He told Carlton he will NOT play for them in 06...if Bombers overlook him expect Collingwood to consider picking him up...Sheedy was quoted in the press over the weekend to confirm that the Bombers Number 1 priority in the Draft is Campo...so not sure where you're getting your mail.
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby stan » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:51 pm

Also add to the fact that he might be getting rid of or has already delisted Thomas in favour of keeping a older has been palyer in the form of Murphy. Although some of us may think that hes not ready or not there at the moment, but christ i would have thought if you were going to do some rebuiliding of a side you would start with using young guys instead of has beens.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1271 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:16 am

None of that bullshit goes in the SANFL - a reason why we love it.

Have you ever heard of West Adelaide spelly?[/quote]
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7634 times
Been liked: 11100 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:25 am

spell_check wrote:None of that bullshit goes in the SANFL - a reason why we love it.

Yep. There's no such thing as a blockbuster in the SNAFL anymore and maybe (hopefully not though) TV coverage itself may become a thing of the past. With money comes bullshit.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Sinbad » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:26 pm

Yep, Sheedy tells them to dive and they do it. :roll:
I respect a side like Essendon more than Richmond who have had MANY chances to get things right over the past 10 years and haven't, their farcical heartless performances,treatment of coaches,moronic fans etc etc. I admire Essendon in the fact they havent needed to stoop to the bottom to get the draft picks yet have been consistent and still give their fans value for money. I respect that, over the other 3 so called 'big' clubs in Richmond,Collingwood and Carlton who all have been rabbles over recent seasons.
BTW, you argue that Thomas should stay, do you realise Essendon have many players in the Thomas mould?
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby stan » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:30 pm

Sinbad wrote:BTW, you argue that Thomas should stay, do you realise Essendon have many players in the Thomas mould?

No i dont realise that as i have not had a detailed look at the bombers team. All i was stating that its better long term to keep some young guys on the list instead of old has beens.
stan
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:15 pm

Feel free to name the players you speak of Sinbad...

Andrew Welsh, Aaron Henneman and Mark Bolton are perhaps slightly similar, though the Bombers can ill afford to delist defenders, considering they finished 13th in 2005 with a shite % of 92.01.

Fletcher is injury prone, Welsh was being bandied about as trade bait, Henneman and Bolton have NOT lived up to expectation and their chances to prove themselves are expiring fast,

Thomas won the Magarey Medal...you don't delist MM's after 1 season...if the Bombers don't re-select Paul Thomas in the Pre-Season Draft then I really have no respect for them.
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby Sinbad » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:41 am

TigerBoss wrote:Feel free to name the players you speak of Sinbad...

Andrew Welsh, Aaron Henneman and Mark Bolton are perhaps slightly similar, though the Bombers can ill afford to delist defenders, considering they finished 13th in 2005 with a shite % of 92.01.

Fletcher is injury prone, Welsh was being bandied about as trade bait, Henneman and Bolton have NOT lived up to expectation and their chances to prove themselves are expiring fast,

Thomas won the Magarey Medal...you don't delist MM's after 1 season...if the Bombers don't re-select Paul Thomas in the Pre-Season Draft then I really have no respect for them.

McVeigh,Lovett-Murray,McPhee,Ramanauskas and now Richard Cole can all play the running defender role. You already mentioned Bolton and Welsh also.
Unfortunately, as much as most wish to deny it, the Magarey means very little these days to AFL clubs. I mean Ryan O'Connor won one which instantly loses its credibility to Victorians.
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby stan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:16 am

Sinbad wrote:

McVeigh,Lovett-Murray,McPhee,Ramanauskas and now Richard Cole can all play the running defender role. You already mentioned Bolton and Welsh also.
Unfortunately, as much as most wish to deny it, the Magarey means very little these days to AFL clubs. I mean Ryan O'Connor won one which instantly loses its credibility to Victorians.

McVeigh = Midfield
Lovett-Murry=Midfield/Forward
Rammmmmmmmmmm = Midfield
Cole=Turn overs
McPhee=bigger sort of running defender
Only really welsh and bolten are similar type of players to thomas. Anyway back to my original point.
Is it bettter to perhaps gives Thomas another season as he may really hit his straps next season. Or Keep Murphy on the list. He pehaps has mayber another year in him?
stan
Coach

Postby Sinbad » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:48 am

stan wrote:
Sinbad wrote:

McVeigh = Midfield
Lovett-Murry=Midfield/Forward
Rammmmmmmmmmm = Midfield
Cole=Turn overs
McPhee=bigger sort of running defender
Only really welsh and bolten are similar type of players to thomas. Anyway back to my original point.
Is it bettter to perhaps gives Thomas another season as he may really hit his straps next season. Or Keep Murphy on the list. He pehaps has mayber another year in him?

Forgot to add Jay Nash who is a developing player who plays out of defence. Reality is, there are many that can play that role and therefore someone has to go.
All the players listed earlier can and have played out of defence, which unfortunately leaves Thomas as the one who may miss out. I don't think Murphy should be kept either, there are many good players up for grabs in the pre-season draft and I would be looking at one of those types, not Heffernan either.
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby TigerBoss » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:44 am

Based on those names and the types of players they are, Thomas wouldn't get a game at ANY club...sheesh it isn't all black and white.

Fine, send him over to Richmond...I'd be more than happy to see him do a Shane Tuck and burn when given the chance to prove himself...it's all he needs...

As for Ryan O'Connor...he won the MM towards the END of his career, Thomas has won one at the beginning of his...quite a big difference there. :roll:
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby stan » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:57 pm

TigerBoss wrote:Based on those names and the types of players they are, Thomas wouldn't get a game at ANY club...sheesh it isn't all black and white.

Fine, send him over to Richmond...I'd be more than happy to see him do a Shane Tuck and burn when given the chance to prove himself...it's all he needs...

As for Ryan O'Connor...he won the MM towards the END of his career, Thomas has won one at the beginning of his...quite a big difference there. :roll:

O'Conner was a good Sanfl player simply due to his size. The reason why he was no good at aFL is because he is rather lazy and doesnt really move well enough for his size.

Your right about getting rid of Murphy though. But i still think Thomas has something to offer at AFL.
stan
Coach

Postby Magpiespower » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:40 am

TigerBoss wrote:
Thomas won the Magarey Medal...you don't delist MM's after 1 season...

You do when they're 23 and only play 5 games for a club in a rebuilding year.

The Magarey Medal doesn't mean sweet fa when we're talking AFL.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby ORDoubleBlues » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:05 pm

Even by Sheedy standards, it will be a real doozy if they redraft Mark Mercuri in the upcoming pre-season draft.
ORDoubleBlues
League - Top 5

Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Macclesfield

Postby stan » Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:38 pm

I wasn't aware that it was even being considered. Then again my care factor is pretty low.
stan
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:32 am

He is being more than considered...Sheedy's publicly said that if Pies pick up Camporeale, there's a big chance the Bombers will take 33 year old Mercuri...not sure where Heffernan will be picked up but if he's still there come pick 5, expect Richmond to have a serious think about picking him up for their depleted defence...

Quite ridiculous and I hope not only do the Bombers suffer from such a plan, but Sheedy also loses his job over it when they fail to make the 8 in the next 2-3 years...for someone who proclaims to be a student of the game and someone ahead of the play so to speak, Sheedy's recruiting of older players, or attempts to lure older players is quite laughable. Short term fixes NEVER work.
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:11 am

You are right there TB. Althoguh i saying that they have got some good young players there. such as Dyson, Stanton, Monfreys etc, so its not like the squad if full of old hand bags. But I cant see Mecuri being an effective player. Maybe Camporeale will be able to have say a fair to ok 2 years but the future lies with the young players in the squad.

Anyway back to the point. Picking up Mecuri would be a shocking move.
stan
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL