Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby jackpot jim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:42 am

bennymacca wrote:
valleys07 wrote:Pretty much bang on there, Boon.

I PM'd Failed Creation after the game, basically praying for Port to drop this "daily half marathon" training method we seem to be running during pre-season, and get the effing footballs out. I can't recall ever seeing the skill level of one particular team take such a drastic drop over a season. Maybe I am overlooking it, as our run and gun game plan may have masked our poor skill level last season, coupled with teams still adjusting to being able to counteract our game plan.

Now that has been worked out, our turnovers are an absolute disgrace to watch. Ill highlight one player, in Jarman Impey. Twice against Sydney and Adelaide, he has had the ball in 10 meters of space, at least, and couldn't have laced out an opposition player better if he tried. I couldn't give a stuff how good a sidestep you can produce, or how well you can defend one on one, or how good a contested player you are, or how quick you are on the outside- Port need to take a tough stance on skill level. If you cannot hit a target over 20 meters under no pressure, GTFO. That is the difference between Hawthorn and every other side in the competition at present. We are galaxies away from Richmond in terms of skill level, let alone the Hawks.

I am sick of one other stat. Port have lost 18 games since the beginning of 2014. 11 of these losses have been by 10 points or less. Now the damning number for me would be the number of these “close losses”, where we have ****ed around for 3 quarters, then leave ourselves a near insurmountable task to win the game, only to fall a kick or 2 short. Yesterday, Carlton, 2014 Preliminary Final, Round 23 2014 are all classic examples of this. It’s a “hero” script and its rubbish. Why the **** can we not play 4 consistent quarters and steamroll sides in the last? No, instead we want the fairytale comeback, only to fall a kick short.

Now- on to my next criticism. This is in no way intended to disrespect the legacy of Phil Walsh.

A lot of what has been posted on various forums and social media highlights our supporters frustrations at becoming the competitions Mr. Nice Guy. Their criticisms for the most part, I actually agree with.

Port Adelaide build a foundation in the SANFL based on pure hatred from the opposition, but were universally respected. We were completely ruthless in pursuit of success. The club did not care what was thought of us, and it was reflected at the end of the season where the premiership would be the object when determining the success/failure of our season.

I understand Kochie’s motive, and I can’t bag him because what he has done for this club in terms of sponsorship, direction and presence far outweighs any negatives, but his comment on radio yesterday about Adelaide being his “2nd favourite team” gave me the absolute sh*ts. No way in hell would Eddie profess love for Carlton on game day radio, regardless of circumstance. He would express sympathy in light of tragedy, but 2nd favourite? Give me a break Kochie- they are and should always be, our most hated rival.

I agreed with many peoples sentiments regarding the outcome of the match being decided well before the first bounce. Whilst Boaky was interested in sympathising with the AFC during our pressers, Dangerfield declared war during his. One team wanted to win, the other team wanted to make sure that it was a game to remember, and nobodies feelings were hurt at the end of the day. Sadly- the result reflected this to a tee.

On a day where Port Adelaide had the opportunity to exploit Adelaide’s mental fragility and tear them to shreds, we pandered to the fairytale AFC win. “One for the ages”, “A showdown to remember”. Bollocks- it’s been the story of our year.

Cut the crap with the nice stuff, PAFC- it’s time we rediscovered our ability to be ruthless in pursuit of success. I don’t want the media to dub us “everyone’s 2nd favourite team”, or sit there watching media PAFC fap-sessions. I want wins, and I want premierships.

Good post

Great Post

Skill level and dumb decision making resulting in turnovers have decimated the Powers chances of winning games this season.
jackpot jim
Coach

Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 452 times

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 am

Polec's foot is going to keep him out for a long, long time.

Like Trengove from Melbourne, return is indefinite at very best.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7521 times
Been liked: 10826 times

Postby hawks21 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Booney wrote:Polec's foot is going to keep him out for a long, long time.

Its a horrible injury. Better off wrapping him in cotton wool until next year, hope the Crows do that with B Crouch who looks to have a simular injury.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:28 pm

:( :( :(

This has had a Matthew Egan feel about it, since the injury was confirmed.

Gutted for the lad, and gutted that this has happened when he looked as though he was set to become an A grade player.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:32 pm

valleys07 wrote:

Gutted for the lad, and gutted that this has happened when he looked as though he was set to become an A grade player.

You think so? After he burst on to the scene last season I thought he had bottomed out a bit. Handy player but not an A Grader IMO.
Speaking of which, how many do Port actually have?

Gray and Boak obviously, there's a lot of B+'s but I think there's a significant amount less A Graders than last season.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby MW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 pm

Sadly probably same issue with Brad Crouch. Three players in the AFL in three years. Bit of a worry.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby JK » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:54 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

You think so? After he burst on to the scene last season I thought he had bottomed out a bit. Handy player but not an A Grader IMO.

Gray and Boak obviously, there's a lot of B+'s but I think there's a significant amount less A Graders than last season.

He wasn't an A Grader last year, but he was young and relatively inexperienced and had shown enough to suggest he had the potential of becoming one I reckon. Whether he would have will very possibly never be known.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Without a doubt, mate. I said "set to become", but not yet an A grader. Had a lean patch in the middle of last season, but had an outstanding finals series. He was one player I earmarked to make big strides this season, and his Round 1 game was massive. Unfortunately his injury struck shortly after that.

Your spot on re. our lack of A grade players. Gray, Boak and Wingard are head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. About 5 or 6 have the potential to be (either still developing, or just havent taken that next step- Hartlett, Hombsch, Wines, Ebert to name a few).

It's not about having a side full of A grade players though, its about bridging the gap between a players best and worst. A fair portion of our squad have gulf sized gaps, which need to be bridged pronto for us to challenge.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:00 pm

MW wrote:Sadly probably same issue with Brad Crouch. Three players in the AFL in three years. Bit of a worry.

Is Crouch's injury the navicular?

valleys07
Coach

Postby MW » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:14 pm

valleys07 wrote:
MW wrote:Sadly probably same issue with Brad Crouch. Three players in the AFL in three years. Bit of a worry.

not sure mate
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Without a doubt, mate. I said "set to become", but not yet an A grader. Had a lean patch in the middle of last season, but had an outstanding finals series. He was one player I earmarked to make big strides this season, and his Round 1 game was massive. Unfortunately his injury struck shortly after that.

Your spot on re. our lack of A grade players. Gray, Boak and Wingard are head and shoulders above the rest of the squad. About 5 or 6 have the potential to be (either still developing, or just havent taken that next step- Hartlett, Hombsch, Wines, Ebert to name a few).

It's not about having a side full of A grade players though, its about bridging the gap between a players best and worst. A fair portion of our squad have gulf sized gaps, which need to be bridged pronto for us to challenge.

Wingard has only just got his way into that echelon in the past 5 or 6 weeks, his consistency has found a new level. I don't think Ebert will ever be an A grader but then again at 25 his best footy could well be ahead of him, he seems older and it's like he's been in the system for ages.
Wines will be the next big thing, I love everything about his game, Hartlett's been disappointing this season but he has undeniable talent and will become an A Grader.
Hombsch has been the big improver at Alberton and with some of the scalps he's conquered at 22 he has an enormous future.
What worries me is that I think Port's 15th to 30th best players are well below the standard of most rivals, their top 15 can match it with anyone though, if that makes sense.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:15 pm

valleys07 wrote:

You'd think Crouch would be back related.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:26 pm

valleys07 wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
valleys07 wrote:

Wines is an A grader already imo.

If i could pick one player from ports list to put into the crows team I reckon it would be him, then wingard (taking age into account as well)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:29 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Wines is an A grader already imo.

If i could pick one player from ports list to put into the crows team I reckon it would be him, then wingard (taking age into account as well)

Very debatable, I tend to agree.

If I was to nick a player it would probably be Wines, Wingard is a wizard but can go missing, Wines plays well every week.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:58 pm

Just about there, Benny.

I still have question marks over his disposal efficiency and decision making at times. Will become an out and out A grader once he fixes that.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:27 pm

bennymacca wrote:Wines is an A grader already imo.

Agreed. If he isn't an A grader then I'll need some assistance measuring who/what is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:29 pm

My interpretation would be in say the top 100 players in the league, that would walk into any club and most likely displace one of whoever is there.

Wines gets a starting gig in basically every midfield in the comp I would think.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:32 pm

bennymacca wrote:My interpretation would be in say the top 100 players in the league, that would walk into any club and most likely displace one of whoever is there.

Wines gets a starting gig in basically every midfield in the comp I would think.

Is it measured on ability or form?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:36 pm

The Benny A grade scale would be somewhat consistent high performance, and the ability to win games by yourself.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:My interpretation would be in say the top 100 players in the league, that would walk into any club and most likely displace one of whoever is there.

I'd think top 100, IMO, would be too wide a field. That's (+/-) 5 A Graders per team.

I think most sides would be happy with 2-3, I think the bottom 4 sides might only have 1-2 and the top few sides might have 4-5.

For instance, Hodge, Mitchell and Burgoyne, IMO, would be Hawthorns A graders with the likes of Breust, Roughead, Gibson close.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL