Adelaide Crows 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2018

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:26 am

What staggered me watching the 2nd half was the Crows bombing the ball forward to Eddie alone inside 50 with 3 GWS defenders, majority of the time Eddie was flying trying to take pack marks, not his fault as he was doing everything he could but have to question the coaching structures if they really wanted to in the game. Jenkins was obviously coming up the ground playing Lynch's role, would have been better off Eddie playing that role and Jenkins deep.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:34 am

Dutchy wrote:What staggered me watching the 2nd half was the Crows bombing the ball forward to Eddie alone inside 50 with 3 GWS defenders, majority of the time Eddie was flying trying to take pack marks, not his fault as he was doing everything he could but have to question the coaching structures if they really wanted to in the game. Jenkins was obviously coming up the ground playing Lynch's role, would have been better off Eddie playing that role and Jenkins deep.

teams have worked out how to defend against us.

if they choke up the corridor it forces us to bring the ball in wide and slow, which means we can run and gun like we have been able to in the past.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:40 am

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:What staggered me watching the 2nd half was the Crows bombing the ball forward to Eddie alone inside 50 with 3 GWS defenders, majority of the time Eddie was flying trying to take pack marks, not his fault as he was doing everything he could but have to question the coaching structures if they really wanted to in the game. Jenkins was obviously coming up the ground playing Lynch's role, would have been better off Eddie playing that role and Jenkins deep.

if they choke up the corridor it forces us to bring the ball in wide and slow, which means we can run and gun like we have been able to in the past.

That doesn't explain how Eddie is the sole I50 target for the hole 2nd half
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:43 am

bennymacca wrote:

benny, this is what Geelong used to do to beat us the last couple of years. When we beat them at Adelaide Oval last year we counted by switching the ball with conviction and opening up the other side of the ground. Seedsman was always making himself the option for the switch but we didn't move the ball fast enough, seemed to hold it for too long before making a decision
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:44 am

We don’t work hard enough on transition either.

It’s almost like we have lost confidence and are defending a lot deeper than what we used to, do aren’t in the positions to move the ball well when we get it
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:52 am

blocking the corridor to shut down the crows is nothing new... Any real pressure on the cows and they struggle.. It's like when it gets too hard they cant be interested...
dare I say, down hill skiers??
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:04 pm

All sides like to go through the middle, it's no secret, what sides have stopped Adelaide from doing is moving the ball from half back to half forward and "changing lanes" as they like to.

Looking from goal to goal, imagine the wing - the edge of the centre square - the centre - the edge of the centre square - the wing as being 5 "lanes" to move down. Adelaide change from lane 1 to 2, or 3 to 4 as they transition the ball down. They're not big switchers of the ball, they move it slightly laterally on the way down.

That's where Smith and Laird from defence hit up Lynch and Walker in attack when they were flying. 2 of them aren't playing and because of it the less reliable Mackay, Milera (yesterday) or Seedsman are in the back half and Jenkins or Fogarty are in the front half.

Sides are making Adelaide either stay down one "lane" and they don't like that as other than McGovern none of their big men forward are real contested markers and neither is Jacobs. They like to hit lead ups in space.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby stan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:21 pm

Clog up the middle and pressure them...if do manage to do that to any side and stop there run, chances are you will come out on top.
Last edited by stan on Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:22 pm

They have had injuries to their key play makers, leaving a 22 yesterday who are essentially role players who are good role players but can't seem to step up and fill the void of a key play maker. (e.g. McKay, Jenkins, Hartigan etc)
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:38 pm

Dutchy wrote:They have had injuries to their key play makers, leaving a 22 yesterday who are essentially role players who are good role players but can't seem to step up and fill the void of a key play maker. (e.g. McKay, Jenkins, Hartigan etc)

yep exactly.

I think it shows our depth is pretty good, but take the best few out of any side and it hurts.

Having said that we still shouldn't be dropping games to GWS at home.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dutchy wrote:They have had injuries to their key play makers, leaving a 22 yesterday who are essentially role players who are good role players but can't seem to step up and fill the void of a key play maker. (e.g. McKay, Jenkins, Hartigan etc)

yep exactly.

I think it shows our depth is pretty good, but take the best few out of any side and it hurts.

You can't have depth in every area, it's not the way lists are built. So while you've got Lynch, Walker, Jenkins and McGovern in the front half it's unlikely you'll have many key forwards running around in the two's. 3 of the above 4 have missed games this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:50 pm

Im surprised we haven't given Harry Dear a run. Reckon he has looked ok in the few times ive seen him. I guess his only role would be the one that Jenkins has at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:

yep exactly.

I think it also shows that you have players who don't step up and coaches who don't try something different to achieve a result, why not throw Jenkins into ruck and put Sauce deep with Eddie at his feet? Or Jenkins back and Talia up forward?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:53 pm

Jenkins in the ruck. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:Jenkins in the ruck. :D

I thought Jenkins down back was funnier.
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1281 times
Been liked: 3494 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:I think it also shows that you have players who don't step up and coaches who don't try something different to achieve a result, why not throw Jenkins into ruck and put Sauce deep with Eddie at his feet? Or Jenkins back and Talia up forward?

Our team is very static in general. There aren't too many of our players that are adept at playing different positions. Other teams have players that they can throw around into different position should things not be going our way.

Douglas might be one of the few at Adelaide that can play forward back or midfield if required.

I would like to see laird go into the middle more, I think he could become a gun mid

Betts used to go into the middle occasionally over the last couple of years, but doesn't seem to this year. I guess age is catching up with him.

I think Jenkins could actually be a decent rebounding CHB or intercept player. he is certainly agile enough for it.

Fogharty is another obvious candidate for midfield time but he just doesn't have the tank for it yet.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

yep exactly.

I think it also shows that you have players who don't step up and coaches who don't try something different to achieve a result, why not throw Jenkins into ruck and put Sauce deep with Eddie at his feet? Or Jenkins back and Talia up forward?

How do you expect to be taken seriously with posts like that?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1863 times

Postby someguy1 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:20 pm

CEY was in the ruck for parts yesterday which was different. Looked like the planned setup for boundary throw ins instead of using Jenkins.

On-field leadership seems to be down a lot with no Tex or Sloane. Doesn't help that the current on-field captain missed the second half (and looks like being out the door as well). Gibbs stood up in the last qtr and nearly dragged the boys over the line himself but the rest of the mids seem to be used to someone else taking the lead in those situations. Was a lot of finger pointing going on last night but no one to take control.
someguy1
Under 16s

Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby stan » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:Im surprised we haven't given Harry Dear a run. Reckon he has looked ok in the few times ive seen him. I guess his only role would be the one that Jenkins has at the moment.
I would have thought he would have been tried by now. Worth having a look at in my opinion.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby JK » Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Having said that we still shouldn't be dropping games to GWS at home.

Underselling GWS there a bit. They'd been off the boil a bit, but showed signs of heading back in the right direction against Essendon. All the media seemed to expect Adelaide would bounce back and virtually wrote the Giants off. Cameron was missing in some of their losses, but as we saw yesterday he's a matchwinner. A midfield of Coniglio, Ward, Griffen, Shiel is pretty flash too. With Scully and Greene up their sleeve they can still feature at the pointy end.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL