Crows 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2015

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:56 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Do Geelong have to give Adelaide anything if they don't match the offer?

Not really across the new trading system.

If Adelaide do not match the offer they will get a compensation pick, most likely the pick after Adelaide's first round pick.

As they finished 6th that would typically be pick 13 as their first pick and pick 14 would be the compensation pick.

That is complicated by, lets say, the AFL deem Lachie Henderson worthy of a first round pick as compensation, thus Carlton get 1 and 2. Adelaide would then be 14/15. 15 for Dangerfield.

If the AFL give anyone below Adelaide a first round pick as compensation for a free agent they lose, it adds to Adelaide's pick #.

You also have the GWS academy picks which pushes everything back a pick or two
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:15 am

Carlton could actually afford Dangerfield with Judd and others departing they must have a massive amount of space, could they make a late move that trumps all?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2335 times
Been liked: 3589 times

Postby Jim05 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:17 am

Dutchy wrote:Carlton could actually afford Dangerfield with Judd and others departing they must have a massive amount of space, could they make a late move that trumps all?

No, was reported that they dont have massive cap space currently. Dangerfield wouldnt want to play at a wooden spoon contender either id imagine
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:19 am

Dutchy wrote:Carlton could actually afford Dangerfield with Judd and others departing they must have a massive amount of space, could they make a late move that trumps all?

I doubt Dangerfield would entertain that. Pretty clear it's a home coming and lifestyle he's after, not just coin.

Nobody can question his integrity at the moment and a move, like Franklin, to a team from left field would throw all his good work out the window. He won't do that IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby TEX07 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Do Geelong have to give Adelaide anything if they don't match the offer?

Not really across the new trading system.

If Adelaide do not match the offer they will get a compensation pick, most likely the pick after Adelaide's first round pick.

As they finished 6th that would typically be pick 13 as their first pick and pick 14 would be the compensation pick.

That is complicated by, lets say, the AFL deem Lachie Henderson worthy of a first round pick as compensation, thus Carlton get 1 and 2. Adelaide would then be 14/15. 15 for Dangerfield.

If the AFL give anyone below Adelaide a first round pick as compensation for a free agent they lose, it adds to Adelaide's pick #.

You also have the GWS academy picks which pushes everything back a pick or two

Could be wrong but Henderson isnt a restricted free agent is he? Meaning the only way he gets to where he wants to is to trade or go into draft and take a punt? I thought that the free agency was only 8 years at one club and then 10 at one club? The only way Carlton gets a first round is if Kruezer is taken as a restricted free agent and the AFL say he is worthy of a first round?
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:31 am

HH3 wrote:They could offer him close to Selwoods contract, but for 6 or 7 years.

Would the Crows have to match the commitment? I don't think they would if they had to.

cant see why they wouldnt. I would think that the Crows could match any offer that geelong put to danger, in terms of average salary.

The sticking point will come if they know that say, they have slightly more space than the crows this year, so they heavily front end his contract, and price the crows out of one year, thereby ensuring they cant match it in this year.

It may be the reason Johnson and stokes were pushed this year too?

Crows would do anything to match it though, going to be interesting how it pans out.

TEX07 wrote:Could be wrong but Henderson isnt a restricted free agent is he? Meaning the only way he gets to where he wants to is to trade or go into draft and take a punt? I thought that the free agency was only 8 years at one club and then 10 at one club? The only way Carlton gets a first round is if Kruezer is taken as a restricted free agent and the AFL say he is worthy of a first round?

i agree, i thought all the talk was for kreuzer not henderson with regards to pick 2
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Sharksta » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:09 pm

The crows don't need to match the exact terms just the overall terms ie $4m over 5 years. Front ending the contract doesn't alter the crows ability to match

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Sharksta wrote:The crows don't need to match the exact terms just the overall terms ie $4m over 5 years. Front ending the contract doesn't alter the crows ability to match

oh ok, cheers for that.

I cant see how the crows wont have the ability to match then, especially as Geelong wont give him 1m a year when selwood isn't getting anywhere near that
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:24 pm

Jim05 wrote:

No, was reported that they dont have massive cap space currently. Dangerfield wouldnt want to play at a wooden spoon contender either id imagine

How could they not have a heap of space without Judd, Henderson, Kruzer, Carrazzo? There would be $1.5m there alone
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2335 times
Been liked: 3589 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:26 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Sharksta wrote:The crows don't need to match the exact terms just the overall terms ie $4m over 5 years. Front ending the contract doesn't alter the crows ability to match

oh ok, cheers for that.

I cant see how the crows wont have the ability to match then, especially as Geelong wont give him 1m a year when selwood isn't getting anywhere near that

What if the term of the contract is the more important aspect to Patty?

If Geelong offer him $700k per year for 8 years and the Crows offer him $933k over 6 years, the moneys the same, but the details of the contract are different.

Does that count as "matching" the offer?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Sharksta » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:45 pm

HH3 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

oh ok, cheers for that.

What if the term of the contract is the more important aspect to Patty?

If Geelong offer him $700k per year for 8 years and the Crows offer him $933k over 6 years, the moneys the same, but the details of the contract are different.

Does that count as "matching" the offer?

Need to match total $$$'s & term. Can be flexible within the scope of that. Allows the matching club to work it within their own salary cap requirements & stops using front ending etc to prevent the ability to exactly match
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 480 times
Been liked: 69 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:47 pm

Ok, so if Geelong are serious, they should offer the longest term deal they're comfortable with, because I doubt the Crows would try to match that. Its a big risk on a guy that doesnt wanna be there.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:52 pm

He'll be a hawk next year
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3037 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Lance's brother » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Dwayne Russell said on 5AA last night that the deal between Adelaide and Geelong is done and was quite emphatic. Even offered to call Bickley back after and tell him who his source was to convince him of the authenticity of his info.

You'd have to think the deal is reasonable if Noble has signed off already and isn't still playing hardball with weeks still to go before the trade period even kicks off.
Lance's brother
Under 18s

Has liked: 84 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:00 pm

Is it allowed to be done yet?

Isn't it all meant to be done during the trade period?
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:01 pm

Geelong have Kelly, Johnno, Stokes, Rivers and McIntoshs salaries minus Motlops increase to deal with.
Adelaide have Dangerfields current salary minus several increased offers this year in re-signs.
If Geelong wanted to the Crows wouldn't be able to even get close to Geelongs offer. That's common sense and obvious.
But as mentioned the Cats pay structure throws a spanner in that.
They could pay Selwood more and up Dangers offer that way but traditionally Geelong are one of the fairer clubs to deal with in transfers and because of this I think a reasonably fair trade will be made despite the fact Geelong could score him for nothing.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3920 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby TEX07 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:03 pm

HH3 wrote:Ok, so if Geelong are serious, they should offer the longest term deal they're comfortable with, because I doubt the Crows would try to match that. Its a big risk on a guy that doesnt wanna be there.

Do you really think that Geelong would offer a 8 year deal to one player who is 26 rather than offer a 5 year and give up 2 first round picks though? I hand on heart couldn't see Dangerfield playing anymore than 5 more years of footy, especially the way he plays the game. Also think that it would be a huge risk for the Cats to offer such a long deal. Crows need to play hardball because they can, Hawks couldn't with Franklin and nor could Geelong with Ablett, these are probably the three most noted FA transfers and because of the Cats policy on not overpaying we are in a position to match the offer.
Comments from media saying we should let him go as he has given 8 good years of service are rubbish IMO, he has actually only given 7 years of service, his first year still received an AFL salary to stay at home and finish school, 9 other sides passed on him that year and there was still Sydney, West Coast and Port that could have taken him before the cats that year and they may have made him come. Adelaide has looked after him and he owes them as much as they owe him.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby TEX07 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:06 pm

Wedgie wrote:Geelong have Kelly, Johnno, Stokes, Rivers and McIntoshs salaries minus Motlops increase to deal with.
Adelaide have Dangerfields current salary minus several increased offers this year in re-signs.
If Geelong wanted to the Crows wouldn't be able to even get close to Geelongs offer. That's common sense and obvious.
But as mentioned the Cats pay structure throws a spanner in that.
They could pay Selwood more and up Dangers offer that way but traditionally Geelong are one of the fairer clubs to deal with in transfers and because of this I think a reasonably fair trade will be made despite the fact Geelong could score him for nothing.
L

Agree, I think that is why a "deal has been done" all parties have said that something will be worked out to get Crows compensation, maybe this is one of Dangerfields own terms? I like the Cats policy, the captain should be highest paid and evenly spread amongst the group, its why they have been so strong and managed to keep stars.
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Postby Booney » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:19 pm

HH3 wrote:Is it allowed to be done yet?

Isn't it all meant to be done during the trade period?

Only if you believe the Easter Bunny and Father Christmas pay income tax. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7523 times
Been liked: 10829 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:20 pm

It was a hypothetical term to get my point across, but i do think Geelong could get him for nothing, thats how they should do it.

Those two picks could be the difference between maintaining a good side, or bottoming out.
I TOLD YOU SO

HH3
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL