Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby stan » Mon May 23, 2016 11:04 am

Jim05 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Bombers could be a silly chance today.... If Collingwood can beat Geelong, anything can happen. Go the Dons!

Belongs on the best joke thread.
Have said for weeks we will NOT win another game

Not sure about this. I think you are a major chance against freo.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:32 pm

stan wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
Corona Man wrote:Bombers could be a silly chance today.... If Collingwood can beat Geelong, anything can happen. Go the Dons!

Belongs on the best joke thread.
Have said for weeks we will NOT win another game

Not sure about this. I think you are a major chance against freo.

As I said, will NOT win another game. Getting worse the longer the season gets.
Horror 3 weeks coming up, could lose all 3 by 100+, West Coast scares me the most, absolute bullies over there against rubbish sides, Kennedy to kick 20
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Essendon

Postby Jim05 » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:33 pm

Hopefully a bit more light at the end of the tunnel after a poor week with talks that Hurley has re-signed for 5 more years and will be announced soon
Jim05
Coach

Postby carey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 11:40 pm

I'd still rather Essendons list than half a dozen other sides.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2812 times
Been liked: 2999 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:09 am

carey wrote:I'd still rather Essendons list than half a dozen other sides.

I'm not so sure. Obviously next year they will be stronger than this, but they put a lot of eggs into the James Hird basket. I think it might all hinge on Joe Daniher becoming a superstar and them nailing their high pick(s) in the next draft.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:21 am

Grahaml wrote:
carey wrote:I'd still rather Essendons list than half a dozen other sides.

I'm not so sure. Obviously next year they will be stronger than this, but they put a lot of eggs into the James Hird basket. I think it might all hinge on Joe Daniher becoming a superstar and them nailing their high pick(s) in the next draft.

Got some really good kids coming through and a pretty good spine but still need another gun mid and some more help for Joe in attack. Doesn't look to be a lot of quality KPP's in this years draft so think pick 1 could be on the table if the right deal comes along. Also will have the PSD to perhaps snare a quality player as we have tons of cap space
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:26 am

I wasn't sure about the cap space. Every time I hear Essendon signed one of their suspended players the commentary suggest they've paid more than the "market value". Makes me wonder whether they're chewing into any cap space they might have had.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Essendon

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:46 pm

Grahaml wrote:I wasn't sure about the cap space. Every time I hear Essendon signed one of their suspended players the commentary suggest they've paid more than the "market value". Makes me wonder whether they're chewing into any cap space they might have had.

Will have heaps of cap space.
Hooker signed for under what Freo were offering, Heppell didn't re-sign he was part way into a 5 year contract, Hurley will cost a bit but guys like Stanton, Watson won't be on a lot if they return.
This is also the last year of Goddards contract which was heavily back ended, he is on about 900k this year. He will be offered a 1 year contract on way less than half that if he wants to stay. We are also in credit with this years cap so can spend over the 100% next year.
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Grahaml wrote:I wasn't sure about the cap space. Every time I hear Essendon signed one of their suspended players the commentary suggest they've paid more than the "market value". Makes me wonder whether they're chewing into any cap space they might have had.

Hooker signed for under what Freo were offering, Heppell didn't re-sign he was part way into a 5 year contract, Hurley will cost a bit but guys like Stanton, Watson won't be on a lot if they return.
This is also the last year of Goddards contract which was heavily back ended, he is on about 900k this year. He will be offered a 1 year contract on way less than half that if he wants to stay. We are also in credit with this years cap so can spend over the 100% next year.

What happens with top up players who are kept on Jim?

Let's say the 12 return and the likes of Kelly, McDonald-Tipungwuti or Leuenberger are kept on, you just delist 3 out of contract?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

What happens with top up players who are kept on Jim?

Let's say the 12 return and the likes of Kelly, McDonald-Tipungwuti or Leuenberger are kept on, you just delist 3 out of contract?

The top ups must all go into the draft as normal, we get no priority over them. Tippa and Leuey are listed players for us not top ups.
I think we would maybe look at Kelly for 1 year and Dea perhaps in the draft for a 4th-5th rounder
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:04 pm

You didn't end up having to cough up for the banned not longer at Essendon this year, did you?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Booney wrote:You didn't end up having to cough up for the banned not longer at Essendon this year, did you?

Have not coughed up a cent for anyone yet
Jim05
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm

Would be surprised if any of the older top ups like Kelly, Crowley, Grima etc played next year. If they were valuable enough as people you wanted to keep them around, there are plenty of positions these days for assistant and development coaches.

On another note, I have a feeling the second half of the year could get very ugly for Essendon. If that happens, the potential benefits get thinner and thinner. Game time into kids is one thing, but in a side that's getting belted it can sometimes send them backwards. It could also hinder the development of Daniher if he's in a forward line getting stuff all quality and quantity of entry. Probably the old timer in me, but is there still benefit in sending him to play defense? Might get a decent lesson in footy playing on some of the star fowards in the comp, as well as giving him an appreciation of his own defense and mids in the future. Or have we moved past that and just not any benefit?
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 5:01 pm

Grahaml wrote:Would be surprised if any of the older top ups like Kelly, Crowley, Grima etc played next year. If they were valuable enough as people you wanted to keep them around, there are plenty of positions these days for assistant and development coaches.

On another note, I have a feeling the second half of the year could get very ugly for Essendon. If that happens, the potential benefits get thinner and thinner. Game time into kids is one thing, but in a side that's getting belted it can sometimes send them backwards. It could also hinder the development of Daniher if he's in a forward line getting stuff all quality and quantity of entry. Probably the old timer in me, but is there still benefit in sending him to play defense? Might get a decent lesson in footy playing on some of the star fowards in the comp, as well as giving him an appreciation of his own defense and mids in the future. Or have we moved past that and just not any benefit?

Most of the top ups have no intention of playing more than 1 year. Kelly has a job with the AFL next year but his body is feeling really good and he is enjoying his footy. 300 games is well within reach so if he is still feeling how is now at the end of the season I think he may go around again.
Agree about the second half of the season, some big beltings on their way but Woosha is resting the kids when required and there are still a few to come in. Francis should make his debut soon and Laverde is ready to return from injury and we have Jake Long, Eades and Redman to get some more game time. Still got a heap of top ups to come in aswell
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:01 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Grahaml wrote:Would be surprised if any of the older top ups like Kelly, Crowley, Grima etc played next year. If they were valuable enough as people you wanted to keep them around, there are plenty of positions these days for assistant and development coaches.

Most of the top ups have no intention of playing more than 1 year. Kelly has a job with the AFL next year but his body is feeling really good and he is enjoying his footy. 300 games is well within reach so if he is still feeling how is now at the end of the season I think he may go around again.
Agree about the second half of the season, some big beltings on their way but Woosha is resting the kids when required and there are still a few to come in. Francis should make his debut soon and Laverde is ready to return from injury and we have Jake Long, Eades and Redman to get some more game time. Still got a heap of top ups to come in aswell

Kelly has surprised me a bit. Shouldn't have been, he's always been a goer has Kel.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Kelly has surprised me a bit. Shouldn't have been, he's always been a goer has Kel.

regards,

REB

Has been brilliant for us this year. Would be close to leading our B&F and the kids love him. He is always willing to stay back at training and impart his knowledge with the youngsters. It's actually a shame seeing him run around in a rabble team, deserves far better
Jim05
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:45 pm

3 flags for Kelly. He will retire with many great memories, mates and the knowledge that nothing was left out there.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby marbles » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:29 pm

Has jamar played at all this year jimbo? First game?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:34 pm

marbles wrote:Has jamar played at all this year jimbo? First game?

Played against Richmond
Jim05
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:52 pm

Kyle Langford re-signs for another 2 years. Good to start seeing the kids stay on
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL