Who Will Be the First Coach Sacked

Talk on the national game

Who will be the first coach Sacked this year?

Chris Connolly
52%
Grant Thomas
8%
Neil Daniher
16%
Mark Williams
16%
Denis Pagan
8%

Total votes : 25

Postby Punk Rooster » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:34 am

Magpiespower wrote:A few more efforts like that and Connolly will be looking over his shoulder.
If he costs me any more punting losses, he better look over his other shoulder...
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby knowitall » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:07 am

sydney-dog wrote:one more thing in regards to Pagen, I have a close family friend who has been a statastician at the roos for 10+ years, who was instructed directly from Pagen to add stats on Carey's stats for 1%, especially chases out of defence.....

now we all know the Duck was not recognise for his chasing

Not on the field anyway :wink:
knowitall

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:33 am

Booney wrote:Who are the 3 people who voted for Mark Williams FFS?
I hope they realise the poll was asking who would be the first coach sacked,and it was a mere 18 months ago (seems so much longer with current form) that he led us to our first Premiership.Geez.
With the playing stocks we have lost,and been unable to replace over night,are they suggesting it is Mark Williams' fault? [/i]

Spot on Boon. The Power team is a shadow of what it once was and list attrition is inevitable when you spend five years at or near the top. For me, Connolly and Daniher both have a lot to answer for but I eventually (don't go for this 'coach sacking' type of thread) think Connolly will get the ar5e now that Harvey has moved west.

regards,

REB

PS - Catters tore your Werribe boys a new one it seems Strawb! :wink:
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:14 am

I hope they realise the poll was asking who would be the first coach sacked,and it was a mere 18 months ago (seems so much longer with current form) that he led us to our first Premiership.Geez.
With the playing stocks we have lost,and been unable to replace over night,are they suggesting it is Mark Williams' fault? [/i]

Well I think given the players he has had the team has underperformed. Having said that I don't think the Power hierarchy are smart enough to get rid of him.
We used to be good :-(
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:22 am

doggies4eva wrote:

Well I think given the players he has had the team has underperformed. Having said that I don't think the Power hierarchy are smart enough to get rid of him.

Your kidding aren't you mate? He took us top 3 years in a row and won a flag,now,call it underachieving if you will,but if so,let me underachieve for life.

Like most of these decisions,you only do it if you can find some one better,any ideas?

Pre-requisites- 1: Must have coached an AFL premiership
2: At least 5 years experience in a senior AFL job + at least 4 as an assistant.

Not many choices huh.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:13 pm

Booney wrote:
doggies4eva wrote:

Your kidding aren't you mate? He took us top 3 years in a row and won a flag,now,call it underachieving if you will,but if so,let me underachieve for life.

Like most of these decisions,you only do it if you can find some one better,any ideas?

Pre-requisites- 1: Must have coached an AFL premiership
2: At least 5 years experience in a senior AFL job + at least 4 as an assistant.

Not many choices huh.

No, not many choices given your selection criteria. You have excluded everyone with the potential to coach a premiership by saying that they have to have won one already! There are many able coaches who could do a better job. Of the top of my head I could suggest someone like Peter Jonas - coached an SANFL team to its first premiership and been involved as an assistant with an AFL club which won a premiership. Once he is given a chance at AFL level I am sure that he will succeed.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:23 pm

Taking a punt on any one with a lesser resume is just that,a punt,and when you have a quality person in the job now,why change?

I think it is more important to look at the people who left following the 2004 premiership.Player wise this takes time to replace,and you can only replace them with youth,who take time to develop.

J.Carr,D.Hardwick,J.Schofield and D.Pittman,A.Stewart.Some quality on and off field people there.Throw in R.James,B.Pickett and B.Montogomery (the clubs choice admittedly) and there is a fair bit to replace.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:25 pm

Choco will not go uintil the end of next year at the earliest, and even then only if he has two bottom four finishes in a row.

Safe Safe Safe Safe!! The whole footy world knows Port are rebuilding so he has ~ 50 matches to get it right
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:Taking a punt on any one with a lesser resume is just that,a punt,and when you have a quality person in the job now,why change?

I think it is more important to look at the people who left following the 2004 premiership.Player wise this takes time to replace,and you can only replace them with youth,who take time to develop.

J.Carr,D.Hardwick,J.Schofield and D.Pittman,A.Stewart.Some quality on and off field people there.Throw in R.James,B.Pickett and B.Montogomery (the clubs choice admittedly) and there is a fair bit to replace.

But you've got to ask why did they leave? Many of the players don't like the coach!
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:57 pm

doggies4eva wrote:
Booney wrote:Taking a punt on any one with a lesser resume is just that,a punt,and when you have a quality person in the job now,why change?

But you've got to ask why did they leave? Many of the players don't like the coach!

Why did they leave?

J.Carr- went home to be closer to family and play along side his brother.
J.Schofield-went home
D.Hardwick-Retired
A.Stewart-gone to seek a challenge elsewhere
D.Pittman-Business related

None of these are directly related to the coach,and it's ridiculous to imply they are.

One other loss I forgot to mention was Alastair Clarkson who obviously moved to a higher position.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:06 pm

Roger James - Knee's andthe desire to be able to walk properly in later life

I think Daniher could be in very real danger this season ... He's been there quite some time now and has always had more talent on his roster than many others ... No doubt the Dee's will click at some stage as they are a roll-on type outfit, but invariably the bubble bursts ... If they fail to make the 8 this year I think he's on his way (but there's certainly potential for it to be earlier than that)!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby duncs7 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:11 pm

Why wouldnt u have Mick Malthouse on the list?
Surely he is runnin on reputation only.
Elizabeth Eagles Football Club. Est 1956
Argana Park, Elizabeth. SA
http://www.elizabethfc.net
duncs7
Under 18s

Postby BubblesOfBlue » Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:48 pm

I think Mark Williams is pretty safe for now but I don't know if he will be there in two years time, will be interesting to see if he can rebuild a good side quickly unfortunetely (for a crows supporter who loves the power losing) I think he will rebuild quickly and probably only miss finals this year and scrape in next year!
BubblesOfBlue
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby doggies4eva » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:33 pm

Booney wrote:
doggies4eva wrote:

Why did they leave?

J.Carr- went home to be closer to family and play along side his brother.
J.Schofield-went home
D.Hardwick-Retired
A.Stewart-gone to seek a challenge elsewhere
D.Pittman-Business related

None of these are directly related to the coach,and it's ridiculous to imply they are.

One other loss I forgot to mention was Alastair Clarkson who obviously moved to a higher position.

Well I'm no Power expert but I seem to remember a bloke called Stevens (In fact wasn't there 2 of them?) that left and Guerra was shown the door. And do you really believe that all of the above wouldn't have stayed if they were perfectly happy. Rumour has is there are a few non-happy campers down that way still :!:
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Booney » Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:45 pm

Im not sure being happy comes into it as much as the fact they had just won the flag,giving these blokes an opportunity to think,"Ive done that,now what?".

Not going to bad for some one who is not a Power expert. :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Strawb » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:24 pm

I know REB but the bees have the same problem that Westies have not many Ruckmen.
I am the Voice Left From Drinking
Strawb
Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Wingfield Royals

Postby sydney-dog » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:21 pm

doggies4eva

mate, myself being a bulldog man I know this post may cause controversy

I know a few blokes who have played under Jonas, who have also played under clarko, stewart and laird,

now how can I put this, lets just say Jonas will go down in history as the first premiership coach, but in the eyes of these couple of players they do not rate Jonas in the same breath as clarko, stewart and laird........

Now I am not saying that Jonas was not a good coach, but sometimes an outstanding coach will not win you a flag alone and other times a average coach will inherit a group and culture that basically coaches itself and not much change is required during this transition
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Postby doggies4eva » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:15 am

Sure Sydney-dog, if the culture's not broke why fix it? You'd have to say that given his record that Laird is the most successful coach that the doggies have ever had. He was smart enough to come in and not make too many changes. He was already part of that culture anyway. He would probably do a better job at the Power than their current coach in my opinion. That follows on from what you've said about Jonas - just because the current coach got a gun team over the line once in the three or so seasons that he had the opportunity doesn't neccessary make him a great coach. His inability to get on with sponsors is a bit of a worry too!
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:52 am

Er, Nick Stevens wanted to go home as well.

Michael Stevens wasn't good enough to get a game.

Brent Guerra wasn't good enough to crack the first 18 (at Port or St Kilda).
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby doggies4eva » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:02 am

Magpiespower wrote:Er, Nick Stevens wanted to go home as well.

Michael Stevens wasn't good enough to get a game.

Brent Guerra wasn't good enough to crack the first 18 (at Port or St Kilda).

A lot of player "just wanted to go home" didn't they!!!!!

I seem to remember M Stevens getting a game with another club -maybe Carlton? Think he's still on their list.

Guerra is still playing for Hawthorn and given a chance I think he will be good.

That's my point - a lot of players with potential have fallen by the wayside. Due to their lack of ability or poor coaching? Add to that the number of good players who just wanted to go home and the question Marks start appearing.
doggies4eva
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL