Long-term ramifications for Bombers

Talk on the national game

Postby JK » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:39 am

As much as I tend to agree that it would be a failed exercise, it worked in 93' when he brought Tim Watson back!!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Sinbad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:47 am

TigerBoss wrote:He is being more than considered...Sheedy's publicly said that if Pies pick up Camporeale, there's a big chance the Bombers will take 33 year old Mercuri...not sure where Heffernan will be picked up but if he's still there come pick 5, expect Richmond to have a serious think about picking him up for their depleted defence...

Quite ridiculous and I hope not only do the Bombers suffer from such a plan, but Sheedy also loses his job over it when they fail to make the 8 in the next 2-3 years...for someone who proclaims to be a student of the game and someone ahead of the play so to speak, Sheedy's recruiting of older players, or attempts to lure older players is quite laughable. Short term fixes NEVER work.

I agree that Mercuri should NOT be even considered. Watson was different. Mercuri had stooped to terrible lows in his final year of 2004, Watson had not. There is nothing to be gained from picking up Mercuri. Why wouldn't you pick up one of the many youngsters who were meant to be drafted but weren't such as McEntee from North Adelaide. More benefit in doing that.
BTW, I don't believe Sheeds will pick up Mercuri and I hope not too!
Sinbad
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Sinbad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:52 am

stan wrote:You are right there TB. Althoguh i saying that they have got some good young players there. such as Dyson, Stanton, Monfreys etc, so its not like the squad if full of old hand bags. But I cant see Mecuri being an effective player. Maybe Camporeale will be able to have say a fair to ok 2 years but the future lies with the young players in the squad.

Anyway back to the point. Picking up Mecuri would be a shocking move.

Yeah there is some real young talent there. Don't forget Patrick Ryder from the draft a few weeks back. What a steal. He was tipped to go top 3 or 4 and we rated him as 1! Also Courtney Dempsey and Lonergan and Lucy who was picked up in the 70s yet rated prior to the draft as top 30. The fact we didn't recruit any older guys in this draft, means I am happy to go for Campo in the pre-season and even Heffernan, but Mercuri NO!!!!! Stanton,Dyson,Monfries,Bradley,Laycock,Slattery,Ryder,Dempsey,Lonergan,Lucy - alot of very young talent there for the future. Our list has been made even younger from last year, but please don't take Mercuri and stuff it all up!
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:54 am

Oh my god, Sinbad and myself have agreed on something.....strage things are happening people!!!!!!!!!!
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:28 am

I agree the Dons are building a good brigade of youth...but Sheedy coaches like Spud Frawley, in that he brings the kids in for 1 and drops them the week after, despite the knowledge he's given them shite opportunities.

Monfries was in and out like John Holmes in a queue of v@ginas, as was Thomas, Laycock and several others. The only kids that got a go last year were Bradley and Stanton...

Richmond are no better with this type of thing though. We promote Roach, Raines, Foley, Meyer, Jackson, Hartigan (though he did have injury riddled 2005, he will be a gun), Moore, Schulz, Pattison and Thursfield, only to drop them one or two weeks later...

Leave the buggers in the side to grow their confidence and make them feel a part of the bigger picture. In one week and out the next is totally screwing with their football development.

Having said all this...I HATE the Bombers with a passion and hope my predictions of their destiny at the foot of the table for the next 2-3 years becomes a reality. Cheating bastards.
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby JK » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:38 am

TigerBoss wrote:Hartigan (though he did have injury riddled 2005, he will be a gun

Agree with this assessment
JK
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:45 am

Being touted as a future captain too.

Met him this year and he's still just a wee pup...but his onfield ruggedness is something else...would take on Barry Hall without blinking...might not win, but would give 300% trying all the same.

These types of players are my favourites...hence why I **** LOVE Ben Mules style of footy down at the Bay.
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:09 pm

We have a couple of these young blokes at the Parade, guys like Mitch Sandery and Bryce Campbell ... Always adored by the faithful and always inspirational to fellow teammates!

I've been impressed every time I've seen Hartigan, carries the ball well and doesn't appear to flinch at the contest .. Don't think as yet he's received the recognition he deserves from the commentators and most of the media etc, although it appears commonplace that many of them can't see past the more established or mature types! :roll:
JK
Coach

Postby Sinbad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:25 pm

TigerBoss wrote:I agree the Dons are building a good brigade of youth...but Sheedy coaches like Spud Frawley, in that he brings the kids in for 1 and drops them the week after, despite the knowledge he's given them shite opportunities.

Monfries was in and out like John Holmes in a queue of v@ginas, as was Thomas, Laycock and several others. The only kids that got a go last year were Bradley and Stanton...

Richmond are no better with this type of thing though. We promote Roach, Raines, Foley, Meyer, Jackson, Hartigan (though he did have injury riddled 2005, he will be a gun), Moore, Schulz, Pattison and Thursfield, only to drop them one or two weeks later...

Leave the buggers in the side to grow their confidence and make them feel a part of the bigger picture. In one week and out the next is totally screwing with their football development.

Having said all this...I HATE the Bombers with a passion and hope my predictions of their destiny at the foot of the table for the next 2-3 years becomes a reality. Cheating bastards.

Who do you hate more? Us or the Power
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:50 pm

Hating Essendon is a pointless exercise because they are finished. Yesterday's team. People now hate Sydney because they are premiers, West Coast because they are joyless bastards and Port Adelaide because they are Port Adelaide.

Here endeth the lesson.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:03 pm

There is also many teams you can put into the "Lets not hate them" category:

Glenelg: Because they just never win any trophies any more
South: " "
Norwood: " "
West: " "

Melbourne: " "
Geelong: " "
Essendon: " "

See where I am headed?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:10 pm

Right you are Boon and Port are about to enter similar drought territory. Only one flag this decade..While us success starved Cat fans would happily own up to this stat, you are about 4 flags short of where your mob were this time last decade so that is progress in the right direction as far as the rest of us goes.

However, Port Adelaide will always be hated...a bit like Collingwood...hated because of who you are and not what you've done. That is to be your future. Must be hard to take from fans who used to celebrate premierships like Christmas, i.e. annually.

But you knew that when you celebrated the 2004 flag. You knew that the glory years were over....or at the very least you knew it when you were pumped by the Cows in Round three of last season. :lol:

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:31 pm

Nup, I hate PORT more than anything else in life...smokers perhaps are on a par...

Bombers and Pies are way behind my hatred for Port...but my hatred for Port is indescribable. :twisted:
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby Sinbad » Wed Dec 07, 2005 5:54 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Hating Essendon is a pointless exercise because they are finished.
REB

I think of it as us being tomorrow's team with all our youth and if another year is spent down the bottom, is it really that bad? (2006 draft is to be the hottest ever). :wink:
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby stan » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:28 pm

If thats the case Sinbad then expect some tanking next year. More so than this year.
stan
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:38 am

stan wrote:If thats the case Sinbad then expect some tanking next year. More so than this year.

The AFL has taken away the priority picks system, not to eliminate 'tanking' but to remove the appearance that teams tank. FWIW, players don't tank..they go out and have a red hot dip..clubs however, can 'tank' by picking kids, resting the stars that extra week etc.

As for 2006 the hottest draft Popeye, players drafted this year won't reach their peak until they have played 80-100 games, that makes 2010 or 2011 before the best of these blokes is ready to step up into Hird/Buckley/Voss territory. Right now you are paying the price of the 'top up' era of 2002-2004.

The next 'Geelong/St Kilda' youth project team: Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn
The next 'Essendon' top up team: Kangaroos
The next 'Carlton' rabble team: Carlton

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:42 am

Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Yeah I would say we could call that Gold.
stan
Coach

Postby Sinbad » Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:59 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
stan wrote:If thats the case Sinbad then expect some tanking next year. More so than this year.

The AFL has taken away the priority picks system, not to eliminate 'tanking' but to remove the appearance that teams tank. FWIW, players don't tank..they go out and have a red hot dip..clubs however, can 'tank' by picking kids, resting the stars that extra week etc.

As for 2006 the hottest draft Popeye, players drafted this year won't reach their peak until they have played 80-100 games, that makes 2010 or 2011 before the best of these blokes is ready to step up into Hird/Buckley/Voss territory. Right now you are paying the price of the 'top up' era of 2002-2004.

The next 'Geelong/St Kilda' youth project team: Western Bulldogs, Hawthorn
The next 'Essendon' top up team: Kangaroos

regards,

REB

Aside from Murphy and Allan who did we top up with?
As for the Geelong/St.Kilda youth project team, it hasn't actually come to fruition yet and with the 2 clubs in a similar position I wouldn't be surprised if at least 1, if not both, didn't get a flag out of it which will be a massive blow to their long suffering fans.
Sinbad
Mini-League

Postby Booney » Thu Dec 08, 2005 10:35 am

Rik E Boy wrote:Right you are Boon and Port are about to enter similar drought territory. Only one flag this decade..While us success starved Cat fans would happily own up to this stat, you are about 4 flags short of where your mob were this time last decade so that is progress in the right direction as far as the rest of us goes.

However, Port Adelaide will always be hated...a bit like Collingwood...hated because of who you are and not what you've done. That is to be your future. Must be hard to take from fans who used to celebrate premierships like Christmas, i.e. annually.

But you knew that when you celebrated the 2004 flag. You knew that the glory years were over....or at the very least you knew it when you were pumped by the Cows in Round three of last season. :lol:

regards,

REB

I disagree mate,teams that are up near or on top of the ladder have a better chance of staying there than the lower ranked teams do of climbing the mountain.The "top up" theory does work,admittedly only in the short term,but with good recruiting balance (youth and experience) it can set you in the right direction.Sheedy has been too busy recycling the Murphy,Mercuri's of the world whilst ignoring the future.Perhaps Sheeds has been there so long and feels so secure in his position that he doesnt care too much for the long term future,only worrying about the day at hand.

BTW,good luck to any Essendon Member/Board member who starts a coup to oust the old man.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10816 times

Postby Dog_ger » Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:46 am

There's too many Melbourne based clubs in our National competition..!
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL