AFL Round 10

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Round 10

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:21 pm

Port will win their next 5 comfortably so wouldn't be too concerned as a Port fan
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 26, 2017 12:23 pm

Hinlleys driver from the airport almost ran me down as i was crossing the road....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11911 times
Been liked: 3626 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 26, 2017 12:25 pm

Brodlach wrote:
stan wrote:Bews doing a good job on Robbie Gray last night. Could of at least brought him a drink after trying root him lolImage

Looks like Gray is holding the arm of Bews, free kick Bews? ;)

Nothing says "I love you" like a spoon hug.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby MW » Fri May 26, 2017 12:51 pm

Still shot looks damning. Would be interested to see the rolling footage if that incident.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri May 26, 2017 1:03 pm

MW wrote:Still shot looks damning. Would be interested to see the rolling footage if that incident.

You'd imagine that the umpire is on the right hand side of Gray and looks to be a legit tackle from his angle.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Footy Smart » Fri May 26, 2017 1:07 pm

MW wrote:Still shot looks damning. Would be interested to see the rolling footage if that incident.

This was certainly a free kick,

Robbie is a pro at grabbing the defenders arms (not necessarily over the shoulder) to look like they are holding though.

Geelong blokes, where do you genuinely see your squad? Carrying a few in the best 22 at the moment?

Top quality is certainly there and some experienced heads down back, but maybe thin in the mids numbers wise (take out the cream of selwood and danger) and another goal kicking FWD short?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby MW » Fri May 26, 2017 1:20 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Robbie is a pro at grabbing the defenders arms (not necessarily over the shoulder) to look like they are holding though.

Geelong blokes, where do you genuinely see your squad? Carrying a few in the best 22 at the moment?

Top quality is certainly there and some experienced heads down back, but maybe thin in the mids numbers wise (take out the cream of selwood and danger) and another goal kicking FWD short?

correct. painted with the Lindsay Thomas brush for looking for frees
MW
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri May 26, 2017 1:27 pm

MW wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:

correct. painted with the Lindsay Thomas brush for looking for frees

=)) =)) =))
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10815 times

Postby MW » Fri May 26, 2017 1:32 pm

That makes two of us last night
MW
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri May 26, 2017 1:33 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

OK, I'll play. For a team who has been at or near the top for 12 of the last 14 seasons it is inevitable that we would be carrying a few in the best 22. But what team in league football isn't these days? The talent pool is pretty thin IMO. I'd also like to know what Mitch Duncan needs to do to get recognised by the fans. I thought he was going to have a breakout season last year but an interrupted pre-season and getting Mummified in the second round set him back. This year he's had a full pre-season and he's been very consistent for the Cats this year and he's stepped up to be the legitimate third mid in our side. It's overdue but I think he's a guy who has benefitted from the acquisition of Dangerfield now he is fit. Another key mid for Geelong is Scott Selwood. Scott adds a lot of grunt to a side that is often soft, it's no co-incidence that our tackling numbers are up now that we have two Selwoods playing. I also think that Joel will be a bit harder to tag with brother Scott keeping a close eye on him. Add Menogola to the mix and that's a fair back up group to an excellent top tier.

In the ruck Zac Smith is slowly gaining confidence. He's a tall lad but unfortunately he has lacked confidence and physical presence. I don't think he is fully developed. I thought he broke even with Ryder in the ruck last night, perhaps a little behind as he missed his goal while Ryder got his. Remember that Ryder has been in the system longer than Smith. Ryder missed a year for drugs, Smith to injury. Smith can and will get better.

Our backline still needs some work. Rookie Tom Stewart played his best game in the hoops last night but Koldajashni still needs some work. He needs continuity as he doesn't have the instinct to give it on the first give and he produced some turnovers. Bews should be a regular starter and it hurt us when he went down with a corky last night. Zac Tuohy and Henderson have been excellent acquisitions with Tuohy's efforts ensuring that we don't miss the champ Boris as much as we otherwise might have done. Mackie and Lonegan are near the end though so the emergence of some more defenders would be most welcome. Ruggles makes a few blues but that's what inexperienced defenders will do but I think we can persist with him. Guthrie put on his long sleeves and returned to form just in time to play the Crows..Guffers loves the Blackbirds.

The Forward line looks crap but that's because we are once again pressing high to stop those easy out the back goals. I can handle this if we win games. Hawkins is a popular bloke who always seems to have plenty of company so it's important that other players such as Taylor, Dangerfield and Menzel bob up and score goals. Luckily for us we have goal scoring midfielders which many teams don't.

Geelong's weakness is small forwards, both offensively and defensively. Parsons is a promising player but he just isn't ready. He's a long way down the depth chart. McCarthy, Gregson and Parffit would all be ahead of Parsons but they are all injured. McCarthy was just starting to hit the scoreboard when he went down so that was a very frustrating injury for Geelong.

Everyone is all over how poor our worst football is. Quite right too as it is absolute garbage, much work needs to be done. But people are pretty quick to write off our best and coming up with the disingenuous 'Dangerwood' tag. If we are two man team how are 7-3 with only two games at Cat Park? If you say umpires go check the free kick differential table and give yourself an uppercut because last time I saw that only Richmond and Sydney had copped a bigger deficit.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Spargo » Fri May 26, 2017 2:12 pm

No one's saying umpires have got Geelong to 7-3, but if you honestly don't think you've had a dream ride from them the last 2 weeks, well...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5521 times
Been liked: 5153 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:26 pm

Havent seen last night so cant comment

Last week the umpiring was confusing both ways...

And then the Dixon debacle, i recall a similar incident involving Hawkins.
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby Reddeer » Fri May 26, 2017 2:39 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Havent seen last night so cant comment

AS you are Geelong supporter I bet you do.
If that decision had been on Hawkins at that stage of the game the crowd would have torn the stands down and lynched the prick of an umpire who clearly has no feel for the game
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri May 26, 2017 2:40 pm

Reddeer wrote:

If that decision had been on Hawkins at that stage of the game the crowd would have torn the stands down and lynched the prick of an umpire who clearly has no feel for the game

And we did.
Rules are rules.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby MW » Fri May 26, 2017 2:50 pm

Reddeer wrote:

Horse shit. "Feel for the game" is the biggest cop out. This rule is quite clear. You are even given a f..king shot clock.
MW
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:06 pm

So is the rule concerning a 10m exclusion zone where a player is lining up for goal.

That was conveniently missed.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby stan » Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 pm

valleys07 wrote:So is the rule concerning a 10m exclusion zone where a player is lining up for goal.

Rules are rules?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Trader » Fri May 26, 2017 3:09 pm

Agreed, I can't understand the uproar over the Dixon one. It's fairly clear the clock made it to 0, he hadn't started his run up, so the umpire called play on. Fair enough.
Danny Southern telling Plugga he's fat, I'd like to see that!
Trader
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 61 times
Been liked: 794 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:20 pm

stan wrote:
valleys07 wrote:So is the rule concerning a 10m exclusion zone where a player is lining up for goal.

Rules are rules?

They certainly are, Stan.

So if fans, officials, executives and general observers of the game are going to tow the line of "letter of the law" re. the Dixon play on call, then questions should be raised as to why the same "letter of the law" was not applied to the exclusion zone.

It did have an impact on the contest, because if correct adjudication had of been applied to the above, Charlie gets bought to the tip of the square, Port go 9 points up, and it is game over.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Wedgie » Fri May 26, 2017 3:43 pm

FB_IMG_1495775569730.jpg
FB_IMG_1495775569730.jpg (35.6 KiB) Viewed 395 times
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2061 times