Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:47 am

I am sick of hearing people say, "he's a great footballer, so we should cut him some slack"... It's like because he could play we should excuse his actions... This is mainly for the cousins case, but it seems in this thread i have already read several times that exact sentiment... I actually have some sympathy for hird and especially his family. They have been put through hell from the media...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:54 am

How many ex players have made bad decisions and have been forgiven and moved on? Forget about what the circumstances. Just everyone makes mistakes and in most cases the AFL public tend to forgive and not to forget. With Hird and what he's done. It's a continual battering against him no matter the time he's done for the crime he committed.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:11 am

Bombers4EVA wrote: It's a continual battering against him no matter the time he's done for the crime he committed.

I don't think he should be continually battered in the media, but he doesn't deserve a lot of forgiveness and sympathy. We all have our views, and it should probably be left for individual discussion and debate from hereon in.

Bombers4EVA wrote:How many ex players have made bad decisions and have been forgiven and moved on? Forget about what the circumstances. Just everyone makes mistakes and in most cases the AFL public tend to forgive and not to forget.

Which other ex-players are you referring to? Hird's crime was twofold - he sought an unfair advantage, and abused the trust of his players. His circumstances are very unique, and the potential for the 34 players to develop health issues later in life under his watch is something that warrants more than sticking his nose in the naughty corner for ten minutes and then moving on as if nothing ever happened.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Bombers4EVA » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:16 am

Magellan wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote: It's a continual battering against him no matter the time he's done for the crime he committed.

I don't think he should be continually battered in the media, but he doesn't deserve a lot of forgiveness and sympathy. We all have our views, and it should probably be left for individual discussion and debate from hereon in.

Bombers4EVA wrote:How many ex players have made bad decisions and have been forgiven and moved on? Forget about what the circumstances. Just everyone makes mistakes and in most cases the AFL public tend to forgive and not to forget.

Which other ex-players are you referring to? Hird's crime was twofold - he sought an unfair advantage, and abused the trust of his players. His circumstances are very unique, and the potential for the 34 players to develop health issues later in life under his watch is something that warrants more than sticking his nose in the naughty corner for ten minutes and then moving on as if nothing ever happened.

I know that you can't compare what Hird has done to what the other players have done. And I am talking about the likes of Carey, Cousins, Kerr, Swan, Fevola, and that's just naming a few. I know these blokes haven't done anywhere as bad as Hird has done (but try telling Anthony Stevens that about Carey bonking his ex wife). But the AFL family have forgiven and moved on from those issues.
Bombers4EVA
League - Best 21

Has liked: 326 times
Been liked: 89 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:29 am

Gee Hird and all the above names mentioned all got off lightly compared to the treatment Goddes has got and he hasn't done anything wrong!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3032 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:37 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I know that you can't compare what Hird has done to what the other players have done. And I am talking about the likes of Carey, Cousins, Kerr, Swan, Fevola, and that's just naming a few. I know these blokes haven't done anywhere as bad as Hird has done (but try telling Anthony Stevens that about Carey bonking his ex wife). But the AFL family have forgiven and moved on from those issues.

Okay. I think the difference is the players you cite committed indiscretions on a largely personal basis. Hird's issue at inherently a footy-based one. Not only has Hird impacted individuals whom he was coaching (and their families) but he also irreparably damaged the Essendon brand in the process. It stabs at the heart of footy club integrity which is part and parcel of being a supporter.

Moreover, the above players have acknowledged their faults and sought to make reparations in some way, whereas Hird has dug in his heels and sought legal avenues to advance his point of view, seemingly laying the fault elsewhere but at himself. He's entitled to do so, but he could've taken the more pragmatic road that would've better restored the footy community's faith in him.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:41 am

Bombers4EVA wrote:Yes he did. There's no denying that now. Do you think he doesn't hate himself for what has happened?

We all face decisions every day where we choose right from wrong, 99% of the population pick the right decision, the one that is socially accepted.

No matter how much good you do, you root one goat and the whole town knows about it and it it sticks forever, you reap what you sow IMO.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:44 am

woodublieve12 wrote:I am sick of hearing people say, "he's a great footballer, so we should cut him some slack"... It's like because he could play we should excuse his actions... This is mainly for the cousins case, but it seems in this thread i have already read several times that exact sentiment... I actually have some sympathy for hird and especially his family. They have been put through hell from the media...

I read that and thought "pretty much on the money", I then seen your follow up post and then decided to facepalm. ;)

woodublieve12 wrote:Gee Hird and all the above names mentioned all got off lightly compared to the treatment Goddes has got and he hasn't done anything wrong!!!
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bombers4EVA wrote:Yes he did. There's no denying that now. Do you think he doesn't hate himself for what has happened?

We all face decisions every day where we choose right from wrong, 99% of the population pick the right decision, the one that is socially accepted.

No matter how much good you do, you root one goat and the whole town knows about it and it it sticks forever, you reap what you sow IMO.

Ethical dilemma

would you rather **** a goat, and nobody knows about it

or

not **** a goat, but everyone thinks you did
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:50 am

It has been mentioned before, but I feel any sympathy towards Hird has been lost over his continual challenging of the ruling, rather than just accepting the role that he played in this entire mess.

Hird the player I respect. Hird the coach deserves to be viewed as a disgrace, IMO.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:57 am

bennymacca wrote:
Ethical dilemma

or

I've lived with worse secrets and I've never met a talking goat, so I'll take the first option.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5521 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:02 pm

Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Ethical dilemma

or

I've lived with worse secrets and I've never met a talking goat, so I'll take the first option.

Are you kidding?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Ethical dilemma

or

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:11 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Ethical dilemma

or

Are you kidding?

When it comes to goats, I don't kid...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5521 times
Been liked: 5156 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby am Bays » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm

Spargo wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Spargo wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Ethical dilemma

or

Are you kidding?

When it comes to goats, I don't kid...

Can anyone else butt in??
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:32 pm

Happy to ram my views into the conversation and alpaca pun or two in for good measure.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I thought you shagged a Goat?

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:52 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

I thought you shagged a Goat?

regards,

REB

She was a bit of a pig.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:53 pm

Magellan wrote:Happy to ram my views into the conversation and alpaca pun or two in for good measure.

Will ewe's cut it out.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:Happy to ram my views into the conversation and alpaca pun or two in for good measure.

Will ewe's cut it out.

Don't have a cow, man. I'm tired of being lambasted.
Magellan
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL