Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby MW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:00 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Yeah Richardson is shining at the Saints...

Different job, different list, impossible to compare.

So your ability to coach is purely based on the club you are at?
Surely he's had enough time at STK to make an impact
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2633 times
Been liked: 1862 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:01 am

MW wrote:
Booney wrote:
MW wrote:Yeah Richardson is shining at the Saints...

Different job, different list, impossible to compare.

So your ability to coach is purely based on the club you are at?
Surely he's had enough time at STK to make an impact

Probably working 1 step above his pay grade, like many people in society are.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:13 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Right man standing or last man standing?
Many experts at the time said the latter.

How can anyone even in their wildest dreams predict the possible success orvotherwise of a coach before he's even started in the job with the millions of variables involved in every season?

You can’t but it doesn’t stop us having an opinion.
Many clubs passed on hiring Hinkley for various reasons but Port decided to take a gamble on him.

You would have to say it hasn’t paid off.

Then when the club gets wind of Hinkley looking at the GC job they jump at shadows and extend his contract.

Seems a bit odd to me.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2234 times
Been liked: 2528 times

Postby MW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:15 am

He played the situation beautifully with the smoke and mirrors of the GC offer. Did what anyone should do to leverage your current employer into a better deal.
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:25 am

MW wrote:He played the situation beautifully with the smoke and mirrors of the GC offer. Did what anyone should do to leverage your current employer into a better deal.

He(his manager) did it beautifully.
No question about that.

What are the board that extended it though?
Rash decision perhaps?
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:26 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Right man standing or last man standing?
Many experts at the time said the latter.

How can anyone even in their wildest dreams predict the possible success orvotherwise of a coach before he's even started in the job with the millions of variables involved in every season?

Many clubs passed on hiring Hinkley for various reasons but Port decided to take a gamble on him.

Then when the club gets wind of Hinkley looking at the GC job they jump at shadows and extend his contract.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Every rookie coach at every club is a gamble, nothing more, nothing less. Would anyone have seen what Beveridge was going to do with the Bulldogs, or what Hardwick did with Richmond when his contract was extended 3 years ago?

Hasn't paid off? Again, how can you say we would have been better or worse with another coach in charge. Pissing in the wind and I reckon you're facing in the wrong direction.

'13 and '14 finals series might have got Renault on board, that might have saved our bacon from another loss after another loss and put us deeper into the shit , have you figured ALL the variables into the "hasn't paid off" comment? I would doubt it.

35,000 members in 2012, over 60,000 now, obviously Adelaide Oval has helped, but so did a prelim and semi final two years in a row.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am

Booney wrote:You're all talking about Cornes, he's doing his job.
Spot on Boon.

Kane has you all in a tizzy. It's great.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby MW » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:31 am

morell wrote:
Spot on Boon.

He's a Cornes. It's in the blood :lol:
MW
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:37 am

Booney wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:

Seems a bit odd to me.

Every rookie coach at every club is a gamble, nothing more, nothing less. Would anyone have seen what Beveridge was going to do with the Bulldogs, or what Hardwick did with Richmond when his contract was extended 3 years ago?

Hasn't paid off? Again, how can you say we would have been better or worse with another coach in charge. Pissing in the wind and I reckon you're facing in the wrong direction.

'13 and '14 finals series might have got Renault on board, that might have saved our bacon from another loss after another loss and put us deeper into the shit , have you figured ALL the variables into the "hasn't paid off" comment? I would doubt it.

35,000 members in 2012, over 60,000 now, obviously Adelaide Oval has helped, but so did a prelim and semi final two years in a row.

The only one p*ssing in the wind is you.
The PAFC I knew existed to win premierships not just make finals and produce spreadsheets with member numbers and a few $$ signs.

Most of the Power supporters I know think Ken has been a failure.

You don’t have to agree though.
amber_fluid
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 am

morell wrote:
Spot on Boon.

Who?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:05 am

Booney wrote:
carey wrote:We surely can’t be blaming Ken for basic skill errors? We are terrible by foot, we simply can’t kick. I like Ken as coach but clearly something is on the nose.

I HAVEN'T SEEN THE HAWKS GAME yet but I assume we still look side ways the second we’re under pressure? Been happening all year, we can certainly blame Ken for that. And we’re simply not skillful enough to play that style of footy.

Need 13 wins to guarantee finals I have us finishing on 12 wins. IMO we must get 2 of the next 3 to get to that 13 wins mark.

I’m certainly not as optimistic about our season as Boon is. But a week is a longtime in footy, GWS we’re shutting the doors last week now in the flag race, 3 weeks ago Goddard and Heppell we’re retired!

Time will tell.

6-4 and 8th, haven't played anywhere near our best footy.

Or just maybe Port supporters overrate their list and this is as good as it gets?
Every now and then supporters have to take off their rose coloured glasses, I have a long time time ago and find it much easier now to just accept our list is dogshit
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby morell » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:15 am

Brodlach wrote:
morell wrote:
Spot on Boon.

Who?

Turn it up, you're the President of the "Kane Cornes has got under my skin" community group and administer the "Anti-Kane" Facebook page.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 am

Jim05 wrote:Or just maybe Port supporters overrate their list and this is as good as it gets?
Every now and then supporters have to take off their rose coloured glasses, I have a long time time ago and find it much easier now to just accept our list is dogshit

Our list is pretty reflective of where we are atm.

We picked up three blokes that promised the world but so far have only delivered an atlas.

We do have a squad full of exceptional talent, the problem is that not many of them display it consistent enough nor do we see 75% of the team playing to their ability on the same day as each other.

We really only have Wines, Ryder and Robbie that produce week in/week out, too many pop up for the occasional blinder but go missing too often, eg: Westhoff, Wingard, Ebert, Boak, Chuck.

Others need to play more than one good game for the club eg: Motlop, Watts, Rockliff.

Then there's Neade.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7942 times

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 am

Jim05 wrote:
Booney wrote:
carey wrote:We surely can’t be blaming Ken for basic skill errors? We are terrible by foot, we simply can’t kick. I like Ken as coach but clearly something is on the nose.

I HAVEN'T SEEN THE HAWKS GAME yet but I assume we still look side ways the second we’re under pressure? Been happening all year, we can certainly blame Ken for that. And we’re simply not skillful enough to play that style of footy.

Need 13 wins to guarantee finals I have us finishing on 12 wins. IMO we must get 2 of the next 3 to get to that 13 wins mark.

I’m certainly not as optimistic about our season as Boon is. But a week is a longtime in footy, GWS we’re shutting the doors last week now in the flag race, 3 weeks ago Goddard and Heppell we’re retired!

Time will tell.

6-4 and 8th, haven't played anywhere near our best footy.

Or just maybe Port supporters overrate their list and this is as good as it gets?

At the start of the year I would have thought our list and draw would have had us winning 14-16 games and be in a race for a spot in the top 6 or so.

We still may, the competition is so even 3rd/4th and 8th/9th might only be a game or two in it come the end of the minor round.

Maybe you're right, maybe we're in the pack from 6th-12th with 6 other sides and it all comes down to beating those sides around you which ( Essendon, Geelong and Hawthorn ) we haven't done so far.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 am

Booney wrote:At the start of the year I would have thought our list and draw would have had us winning 14-16 games and be in a race for a spot in the top 6 or so.

We still may, the competition is so even 3rd/4th and 8th/9th might only be a game or two in it come the end of the minor round.

Maybe you're right, maybe we're in the pack from 6th-12th with 6 other sides and it all comes down to beating those sides around you which ( Essendon, Geelong and Hawthorn ) we haven't done so far.

We'll win this week, well that's if I get a corporate box ticket, we've won every time I've been in the box this season.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:21 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:At the start of the year I would have thought our list and draw would have had us winning 14-16 games and be in a race for a spot in the top 6 or so.

We'll win this week, well that's if I get a corporate box ticket, we've won every time I've been in the box this season.

We'll certainly win if I'm in there with you.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:23 am

Booney wrote:
We'll certainly win if I'm in there with you.

It may well happen, I'm asking today for a ticket, they generally give out in two's, I'm going stag regardless.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:23 am

morell wrote:
Brodlach wrote:
morell wrote:
Spot on Boon.

Who?

Turn it up, you're the President of the "Kane Cornes has got under my skin" community group and administer the "Anti-Kane" Facebook page.

Think you’ll find I haven’t mentioned his name, listened to anything he is on or read any articles for weeks. Enough people do it and away he goes

Is there such pages? ;)
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:33 am

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
You can’t pot a bloke for wanting to change his career. Plenty of people have quit jobs when they get a better offer.

I can't believe people pot him for it.

Shift work, dangerous situations, car crashes,screwed up body by the time you're done $70-80k+ OR watch and talk about football in a comfy chair with no risk of injuru for $100k++++, who the **** wouldn't do it?

Try double $80k Boon, plus as David Wildy has proven you can do both jobs - 90% of them have 2nd jobs cause they have so much down time.

I maintain the whole exit of Kane form the footy club was weird and we weren't told the full story, him quitting at the start of the season went against everything he had done for his whole career, got "rested" 2 weeks in and then the club managed him to his 300th and then quit when the club needed him after 3 wins in the first 8 games. After he left they won 9 of the next 14 games.

As Ive said before I don't mind him in the media, he is deliberately controversial to promote his career and done it very well so far.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:38 am

Wines: "I'm still weighing it up at this stage.

"This is my sixth year in the system and whatever length I sign, it probably sees me for another two or three years, so after that time, I think you're fairly settled.

"I'm not to that stage yet, but I see myself as fairly settled and there's no point uprooting myself to move interstate again to go play at another club.

"That adds a little bit more to the decision I need to make, because this may be the last time I look at going anywhere."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-05/l ... ill-unsure

Good on him for being honest about it, but I would be pretty concerned as a port fan
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL