Round 11 chit chat

Talk on the national game

Re: Round 11 chit chat

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:32 am

Some people think they are rubbish but I find them interesting.

bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:11 pm

bennymacca wrote:Some people think they are rubbish but I find them interesting.

I find the Premiership standard point graph interesting Benny, so keep posting it. Where do you get it from?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Champion data's Twitter account
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Dark Knight » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:13 pm

bennymacca wrote:Some people think they are rubbish but I find them interesting.

I find the Premiership standard point graph interesting Benny, so keep posting it. Where do you get it from?
The Dark Knight
Coach

Has liked: 10388 times
Been liked: 1534 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:30 pm

Whats the adjusted % for?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:22 pm

We have seen some strange changes in stats, game plans, teams flopping to expectation and other teams rising beyond expectation this year due to interchange rule changes and other small changes in the way the game has been played, however it has all evolved together to give us a different game (Large majority argue its for the better and I agree) So why are so many using those kpi's as key reasons for teams winning the premiership this year?

It will change quite a bit before finals as there are teams currently in the 8 who still have 4 top 8 teams to play yet for the first time. Teams will drop out of that top left square before seasons end and some will probably come in. I think it's dangerous to use that as a reliable source this year, it's it's going to be a broken trend I reckon this year is the year it will happen.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:10 pm

Zartan wrote:

Whats the adjusted % for?

Difficulty of the teams they have played.

I find it interesting as I think it's a novel measure of how teams have fared

For instance Hawthorn and north Melbourne have both performed below expectation against st Kilda and Melbourne. So even though they both won those games their percentage would get adjusted down.

Similarly the crows have played well against teams above them, and have on the whole won well when they were expected to. So their percentage has been adjusted up.

I think it matches well with perception. Most pundits have said that north, whilst being a very good team, have probably overachieved slightly given they have won all their close games, and teams like Adelaide, given their draw difficulty, are probably slightly better than the average 8th best team
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:14 pm

GWS' adjusted percentage has taken a massive hit recently. They were on top a few weeks ago but their losses against the crows and Geelong have adjusted that down.

It's not really a measure of who the best teams are, but a measure of how a team has performed vs expectation.

Crows have fared better than expected against top teams and hawthorn only just beat st Kilda. Etc etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Zartan wrote:Whats the adjusted % for?

Difficulty of the teams they have played.

I find it interesting as I think it's a novel measure of how teams have fared

For instance Hawthorn and north Melbourne have both performed below expectation against st Kilda and Melbourne. So even though they both won those games their percentage would get adjusted down.

Similarly the crows have played well against teams above them, and have on the whole won well when they were expected to. So their percentage has been adjusted up.

I think it matches well with perception. Most pundits have said that north, whilst being a very good team, have probably overachieved slightly given they have won all their close games, and teams like Adelaide, given their draw difficulty, are probably slightly better than the average 8th best team

Interesting, I don't mind it!
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:02 am

TOM HAWKINS' one-match suspension for striking Phil Davis flies in the face of all previous decisions made since Mark Evans took over responsibility for the Match Review Panel, according to North Melbourne coach Brad Scott.

Hawkins will miss Geelong's clash against North on Saturday night after the MRP accessed his punch to the chin of Greater Western Sydney captain Davis as warranting a two-match suspension.

The Cats spearhead escaped with a one-game ban by entering an early plea.

Scott told reporters on Wednesday he had been "extremely surprised" by Hawkins' suspension, saying it seemed inconsistent with the approach the MRP had undertaken since Evans' appointment as AFL football operations manager in 2013.

"When I was told about it, I thought they had made a mistake and they were talking about another player who the MRP might have been looking at. It didn't look like a reportable offence, let alone a two-week suspension type offence," Scott said.

"If the MRP have made a statement, that's really unfortunate for Tom because they have made it probably after the fact. It's all very well to say players are on notice now, but Tom didn't get much notice, did he?

"The frustrating thing was Mark Evans made it very clear when he took over that we don't want players to miss games unless they do something stupid that deserves to miss games.

"The really unsavoury incidents, players should get suspended and players know that, but I thought he made it really clear that for these innocuous sort of things, that we don't really like and we don't want to condone, we'll fine the players for that.

"And that's the way it's always been since Mark came in. This is the one time where it seems to fly in the face of all the previous other decisions."

Evans overhauled the MRP system at the end of 2014, removing carryover points and putting a greater emphasis on issuing fines for minor offences, rather than suspensions.

Scott said it was likely the MRP would now crack down on punches to the head like Hawkins in the wake of the Cat's suspension.

"Well, just for credibility you have to, don't you?" the Roos coach said.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Feenix wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:Will be all the more sweeter when we win without him saturday night.

Who do you think will replace him? Do they bring Rhys Stanley back in or go with Nathan Vardy. Apparently Mitch Clark is a couple weeks off so he’s not available.

Nathan Vardy

Not taking marks in the Magoos wedge.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Grahaml » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:42 pm

Not sure the Hawkins one really sits as that strange. Punched a bloke on the chin off the ball, seems pretty reasonable to me. Agree the body shots aren't being treated seriously enough but Hawkins deserved his week.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL