North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne 2016

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:53 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Lol - you've got a strange take on what imploding and a kick in the guts is.

Lost 9 of the last 12, delist 2 club greats and 2 others the week before a knockout final, lose knockout final by 10 goals, departing CEO fires a shot at one of the clubs current stars for shopping himself around and taking money for nothing, has a crack at the player manager in the same chirp...all going swimmingly. :lol:

Didn't know we were losing Carl Dilena as well, we are ******!!!! :shock:

President, not CEO. My bad.

My take on it is that Wells is gone and Brayshaw (in his final month himself) has had a swipe on the way out.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2422 times
Been liked: 3820 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:55 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
rocketeer wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Thats 6 of the older brigade gone, 7 likely with Wells leaving...Scott was getting heat for having a list that was too old, now getting heat for getting rid of some champs...cant win?

I think he was copping it for this very reason because keeping all these old guys on the list meant that there was going to have to be a big number of departures at some stage leaving an inexperienced group to replace them. A more staggered approach might have been better but he was deluding himself that the guys he had could win a flag.

Got bloody close to a GF last year.

I'm sure that'll comfort you through the coming pain.

Something they keep saying will happen also, however we still remain one of the few AFL clubs that have never bottomed out, confident it won;t happen now either.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Farren Ray retired and Robin Nahas were culled today

Thats 6 of the older brigade gone, 7 likely with Wells leaving...Scott was getting heat for having a list that was too old, now getting heat for getting rid of some champs...cant win?

No you can't, which is why he should go. He's getting heat for playing old out of form blokes and not giving the youngsters time to develop, then sacrificing club legends three weeks out before the finals to show that he's 'making the hard calls' when all he's really doing is saving his own skin.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:09 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Something they keep saying will happen also, however we still remain one of the few AFL clubs that have never bottomed out, confident it won;t happen now either.

Who knows, we haven't seen any of the kids who are coming in. Except Nathan Brown from Collingwood. Young chap, just 28. :D
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7625 times
Been liked: 11096 times

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:10 pm

So it's now Harvey, Petrie, Firrito, Dal Santo, Ray and Nahas gone.

Wells on the look for a better deal.

Who are the replacements?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:16 pm

So Farren Ray chooses retirement yet Harvey and Dal Santo are delisted...what does that tell you about this club...
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2694 times
Been liked: 1907 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:50 pm

Booney wrote:So it's now Harvey, Petrie, Firrito, Dal Santo, Ray and Nahas gone.

Wood, Wagner, Dumont, Clarke, Daw, Clarke, Garner, Turner, Durdin
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Thats 6 of the older brigade gone, 7 likely with Wells leaving...Scott was getting heat for having a list that was too old, now getting heat for getting rid of some champs...cant win?

No you can't, which is why he should go. He's getting heat for playing old out of form blokes and not giving the youngsters time to develop, then sacrificing club legends three weeks out before the finals to show that he's 'making the hard calls' when all he's really doing is saving his own skin.

regards,

REB

So when would have you told them? Now in the post season? Thats the soft option, Scott made the hard call and was brave enough to make it public.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:53 pm

MW wrote:So Farren Ray chooses retirement yet Harvey and Dal Santo are delisted...what does that tell you about this club...

Tells me that they think they're not ready to retire.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 781 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

MW wrote:So Farren Ray chooses retirement yet Harvey and Dal Santo are delisted...what does that tell you about this club...

Probably that Farren Ray realises he isn't good enough and Harvey/Dal Santo think they are good enough to go again. Either way the club doesn't think any of them warrant another contract. Rightly or wrongly that is the decision they have made what else would you like them to do if the player doesn't want to retire?

It's people like you that would laugh at how old our list is again if they went on next year.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 73 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:58 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

Tells me that they think they're not ready to retire.

Exactly - and Ray was.
But it was a good try MW :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5701 times
Been liked: 5272 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Jim05 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
rocketeer wrote:[quote="Dutchy"]Thats 6 of the older brigade gone, 7 likely with Wells leaving...Scott was getting heat for having a list that was too old, now getting heat for getting rid of some champs...cant win?

I think he was copping it for this very reason because keeping all these old guys on the list meant that there was going to have to be a big number of departures at some stage leaving an inexperienced group to replace them. A more staggered approach might have been better but he was deluding himself that the guys he had could win a flag.

Got bloody close to a GF last year.

I'm sure that'll comfort you through the coming pain.

Something they keep saying will happen also, however we still remain one of the few AFL clubs that have never bottomed out, confident it won;t happen now either.[/quote]
Just can see it TBH.
Without some darn good recruiting I think you are a lock for bottom 6
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1128 times
Been liked: 3650 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Spargo » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:06 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:So it's now Harvey, Petrie, Firrito, Dal Santo, Ray and Nahas gone.

Wood, Wagner, Dumont, Clarke, Daw, Clarke, Garner, Turner, Durdin

Add Vickers-Willis & Hibberd to that list.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5701 times
Been liked: 5272 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:19 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

regards,

REB

So when would have you told them? Now in the post season? Thats the soft option, Scott made the hard call and was brave enough to make it public.

The "hard call" would have been to ship 1 or 2 off last year and not be forced into doing 6 this year. They clearly made a very bad call loading up on 2016 as they did and it has back fired. Massively.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:22 pm

Nahas and Ray were both Rookie listed so hardly costing the club anything, the other 4 were in our best 22 so why ship them off? Importantly we kept our high draft picks and used them, now they will get the opportunity to shine and I can;t way to see them.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

regards,

REB

With Petrie at the end of last season. That's the hard option, not playing a bloke until he's obviously cooked then booting him when the opportunity to further develop a Daw has been missed. They didn't play any youth. Only two blokes under 24 in the final. That's no hard option that's safety first coaching.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1727 times
Been liked: 1831 times

Postby cracka » Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:46 am

Hindsight is a wonderful thing
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 468 times
Been liked: 584 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:44 am

cracka wrote:Hindsight is a wonderful thing

Isn't it.

People still can't tell me how the Roos could have handled these exits better THIS year.

If you have any doubts have a look at Boomers interview on the footy show last night, Boomer asked for honesty and he got it, sometimes that hurts, that's footy, that's life....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Sep 16, 2016 10:51 am

Dutchy wrote:

Isn't it.

People still can't tell me how the Roos could have handled these exits better THIS year.

If you have any doubts have a look at Boomers interview on the footy show last night, Boomer asked for honesty and he got it, sometimes that hurts, that's footy, that's life....

Could the players have been told honestly, but also told to keep it private until seasons end? I don't know, just trying to find a solution .. I don't think the way it happened on the eve of finals was great.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4468 times
Been liked: 3009 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:01 am

Dutchy wrote:

Isn't it.

Tough when every man and his dog kicks your club for making shit decisions, isn't it?

As I and REB noted, tough calls last year would have avoided disaster this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL