Kurt Tippett's playing future?

Talk on the national game

Re: Kurt Tippett's playing future?

Postby HH3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:41 am

What? Are they suggesting the players are going to struggle with costs of living while earning $400k plus? Poor blokes...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:42 am

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Hopefully the allowance is increased. Only fair when comparing house prices in Alberton too Surry Hills.

Only fair when comparing house prices in Toorak Melbourne, or New Farm Brisbane, or Sorrento in Perth to Surry Hills. It's outdated and needs to be reviewed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:43 am

HH3 wrote:What? Are they suggesting the players are going to struggle with costs of living while earning $400k plus? Poor blokes...

Exactly. Why should AFL footballers be given compensations that no other person who works receives?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby GWW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:56 am

Come on, Sydney and Brisbane are in northern states developing AFL markets - we need to keep propping them up with BS excuses.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Booney » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:58 am

GWW wrote:Come on, Sydney and Brisbane are in northern states developing AFL markets - we need to keep propping them up with BS excuses.

5 of the 13 flags and 7 of the 13 GF's since 2000. They're doing ok.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Panther32 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:What? Are they suggesting the players are going to struggle with costs of living while earning $400k plus? Poor blokes...

Exactly. Why should AFL footballers be given compensations that no other person who works receives?

Not so sure about that. With all the companies I have worked for which have offices in both NSW and SA, NSW employees always got paid more due to living expenses being more.
The only time i've ever been wrong...was when I thought I was wrong!!!
Panther32
League - Best 21

Has liked: 104 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby TEX07 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:55 pm

Panther32 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Not so sure about that. With all the companies I have worked for which have offices in both NSW and SA, NSW employees always got paid more due to living expenses being more.

My problem with this isnt the cost of living bonus it is how it seems they are using it. To offer $1mil a season for 4 years seems a lot like where this is going and this would never have been the reason they recieved it.
hola acabo de hacer que el yo se resuelve lo que este los medios en español
TEX07
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 140 times
Been liked: 49 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby GWW » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:05 pm

If the AFL truly was seriously about this sort of thing, they would calculate salary caps based on the CPI for all clubs.

All clubs in different states would have a different salary cap (unless prices/costs were the same in different states), and it would fluctuate from year to year according to current inflationary trends.

..and when real estate prices dipped, the clubs in that state would have a corresponding dip in their salary cap.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-ne ... 21yxs.html
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby scoob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:25 pm

GWW wrote:If the AFL truly was seriously about this sort of thing, they would calculate salary caps based on the CPI for all clubs.

All clubs in different states would have a different salary cap (unless prices/costs were the same in different states), and it would fluctuate from year to year according to current inflationary trends.

..and when real estate prices dipped, the clubs in that state would have a corresponding dip in their salary cap.

http://smh.domain.com.au/real-estate-ne ... 21yxs.html

What about the price of bread or pasta... or sleeping tablets or a gram of coke?
scoob
Veteran

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 87 times

Postby HH3 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:30 pm

Seriously, when we're talking about people earning that much money, cost of living shouldnt even matter. I dont think any Sydney player that gets regular game time is going to struggle to pay their bills in Sydney. Say Tippet gets $500k a year, thats $9,615 a WEEK!!! Im sure he wont be shopping at Rite Price...
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Baron Greenback » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 pm

Booney wrote:
GWW wrote:Come on, Sydney and Brisbane are in northern states developing AFL markets - we need to keep propping them up with BS excuses.

5 of the 13 flags and 7 of the 13 GF's since 2000. They're doing ok.

We've struggled since Ed got it taken away from us.
Plus other things....cough Fev cough.... :lol:
Ham and eggs for breakfast, ham and eggs for tea
Baron Greenback
Coach

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Paringa

Postby The Sleeping Giant » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:04 pm

Port 2 GFs in 9 years. 1 flag. Not too bad.

Hope they do bring in a cpi/real estate cost of living linked salary cap. Like I have said, Swans will get more money to play with.
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

Postby scoob » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:19 pm

Maybe it should be based on time since last flag was won...
scoob
Veteran

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:35 pm

scoob wrote:Maybe it should be based on time since last flag was won...

Fremantle's salary cap would be unlimited
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Sky Pilot » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:23 pm

You could count Footscray and Melbourne to that list. Hopeless and should be relocated to Canberra and Hobart and given a few bucks (like Ports) and told to start again.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:16 pm

Sky Pilot wrote:You could count Footscray and Melbourne to that list. Hopeless and should be relocated to Canberra and Hobart and given a few bucks (like Ports) and told to start again.

Your lot hasn't been all that much better in the last ten years. Twentieth century is over dude.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Hondo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:47 am

So Sydney won't let go of Grundy or Reid and now some senior players are rumbling about the club's decision to go after Tippett because of the impact on the "culture" and I guess because they realise one of their premiership mates is likely going to have to go to do the trade.

Anyone else reminded of Ryan O'Keefe's attempt to move to Hawthorn? That was announced as a done deal but a few weeks later he wasn't a Hawk because Hawthorn didn't want to trade any premiership stars and so the trade fell over. ROK I guess had to skulk back to his team-mates but now a few years on has another premiership medal.

I reckon Sydney and Tippett assumed the alleged agreement on the 2nd round draft pick (meant to apply if he shifted to the GC) would get it done.

I'll call it first - I reckon there's a chance Tippett will end up somewhere other than Sydney. Slim chance I think, but a chance.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:51 am

Hondo wrote:So Sydney won't let go of Grundy or Reid and now some senior players are rumbling about the club's decision to go after Tippett because of the impact on the "culture" and I guess because they realise one of their premiership mates is likely going to have to go to do the trade.

Anyone else reminded of Ryan O'Keefe's attempt to move to Hawthorn? That was announced as a done deal but a few weeks later he wasn't a Hawk because Hawthorn didn't want to trade any premiership stars and so the trade fell over. ROK I guess had to skulk back to his team-mates but now a few years on has another premiership medal.

I reckon Sydney and Tippett assumed the alleged agreement on the 2nd round draft pick (meant to apply if he shifted to the GC) would get it done.

I'll call it first - I reckon there's a chance Tippett will end up somewhere other than Sydney. Slim chance I think, but a chance.

Or even worse he stays put :shock:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1265 times

Postby Hondo » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:59 am

I doubt it but stranger things have happened

ROK was all over Hawthorn, wanted out of Sydney, had to move to Melbourne for lifestyle reasons, etc, etc

Then 3 weeks later he was still stuck at Sydney because Sydney rightly played hardball with Hawthorn who were pinching one of their best players but didn't want to give anything decent up for him.
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

Postby scoob » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:14 am

Hondo wrote:I doubt it but stranger things have happened

ROK was all over Hawthorn, wanted out of Sydney, had to move to Melbourne for lifestyle reasons, etc, etc

Then 3 weeks later he was still stuck at Sydney because Sydney rightly played hardball with Hawthorn who were pinching one of their best players but didn't want to give anything decent up for him.

Yeah but he is out of contract isnt he? if he doesnt make it to sydney and adelaide play hard ball off to the PSD ala nick stevens... or am I barking up the wrong tree?
scoob
Veteran

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL