The Ultimate Crows Line up

Talk on the national game

Re: Hodges/Modra

Postby JK » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 am

Psyber wrote:Both these guys had the same problem - they needed to be fed - both totally dependent on their team winning further upfield and delivering to their strength - leading and marking. Without that they were both too unidirectional and too easily countered.

Modra was successful early, while catching everyone by surprise, but the opposition soon worked out how to counter him. Hodges - anyone who could lead and mark would have been a star in front of Port Adelaide in the SANFL in that era - I thought Tylor was actually a better player overall for the PA magpies.

ALL full forwards need to be fed the ball, and I think ur taking a little credit away from Modra there, as he was also very dangerous at ground level ...
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby knowitall » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:53 am

The Knowitall Ultimate Crows Side

F: D.Jarman Modra Welsh
HF: Johnson Robran McLeod
C: Goodwin A.Jarman Tregenza
HB: Bickley(c) Caven Goodwin
B: Edwards B.Hart Smart

1R: Rehn, McDermott, Ricciuto(vc)
Int: Liptak, McGuinness, Birdman (to be put in fwd pocket next to Mods, just for the arial contest :prayer: )

In agreeance with CP, would love to have stuck John Klug at CHF, but just didnt play enough footy for mine
Also in agreeance with Leaping Lindner Allan Bartlett was the most useless player to stick on a jumper
Mostly in agreeance with booney though...it was a hard team to beat!! :wink:
knowitall

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1 time

Postby sydney-dog » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:42 am

knowitall, are you serious with the Tragenza selection, the guy could not even kick over a jam lid, we are just lucky that none of his lolly pop kicks did not kill any of his team mates while waiting under the ball

A Jarman too slow, would not be able to play the modern game, McGuiness, I still stand by my initial assessment, he had no right side, too many times got caught trying to get on his left......

Players like Stenglien would be in my side before A Jarman and I would even pick Bondy before McGuiness
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Been liked: 0 time

Postby Magpiespower » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:28 am

sydney-dog wrote: I would even pick Bondy before McGuiness

But then who would run past the man taking a free kick for the easy stat?

"Path to me, path to me!"
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby knowitall » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:34 am

sydney-dog wrote:knowitall, are you serious with the Tragenza selection, the guy could not even kick over a jam lid, we are just lucky that none of his lolly pop kicks did not kill any of his team mates while waiting under the ball

A Jarman too slow, would not be able to play the modern game, McGuiness, I still stand by my initial assessment, he had no right side, too many times got caught trying to get on his left......

Players like Stenglien would be in my side before A Jarman and I would even pick Bondy before McGuiness

thats why it MY ultimate crows side buddy

What Jars lacked in speed he more than made up for in skill, and the other way around for Trigger.
knowitall

Been liked: 1 time

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:35 am

sydney-dog wrote:knowitall, are you serious with the Tragenza selection, the guy could not even kick over a jam lid, we are just lucky that none of his lolly pop kicks did not kill any of his team mates while waiting under the ball

Stenglien before Jarman because 'Jarman can't play the modern' game. LMAO!! Jarman has an excellent footy brain and terrific hands and vision. If you are having a hyothetical 'best of' side you can't really factor in current developments in the game that weren't around at the time certain players had their careers. As an athelete Stenglien has Jars covered that much is true but Jars is clearly the better footballer.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby sydney-dog » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:21 pm

REB

If you compare, Stenglien v's Jarman in regards to club awards and B&F voting, maybe not........

Stebglien has always put the team and club first, there was couple occassions in Andrews career with Adelaide, he put himself before the team

Finally, Jarman can only play in the middel, for mine there are four or five all australian footballers in front of him in this position
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:26 pm

ALL full forwards need to be fed the ball, and I think ur taking a little credit away from Modra there, as he was also very dangerous at ground level ...

Well, they all need it kicked towards them, but not all need it done quite so perfectly, some can take a contested grab or take the odd unexpected one in a pack - I didn't see Modra or Hodges ever win the ball off the ground, for the Crows, but I must admit I didn't see every match.
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby sydney-dog » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:52 pm

Psyber
Modra had a habit of kicking a goal or two off the ground, I definitely had no issues with Modra's work at ground level
sydney-dog
League - Top 5

Postby Psyber » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:02 pm

sydney-dog wrote:Psyber, Modra had a habit of kicking a goal or two off the ground......

Conceded... I just remember a lot of him not chasing... but I was impressed with his leap, even in recent "oldies" matches.
Psyber
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:14 pm

Psyber wrote:

Well, they all need it kicked towards them, but not all need it done quite so perfectly, some can take a contested grab or take the odd unexpected one in a pack - I didn't see Modra or Hodges ever win the ball off the ground, for the Crows, but I must admit I didn't see every match.

So you're saying that you never saw Modra take a speccy? I'd always thought he was more of a highlight reel rather than one who "fluked" a big mark once or twice ... I would suggest that the necessity to climb on someones shoulders would detract from the theory that he needed the ball delivered perfectly ... Don't get me wrong, I was never a screaming Beatles-like Modra fan, but credit where it's due, he was a pretty talented footballer ...
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4465 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Psyber » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:34 pm

So you're saying that you never saw Modra take a speccy?

No, he took quite a few, but before long the other teams worked out how to block his run for the leap, and he didn't seem to be able to lead to space without flying for the speccies. Then the unidimensional nature of his game showed and he got petulant and wouldn't chase. Then he was moved out to the HF flank a few times to try to broaden his horizons ad he got even more petulant.

He had talent, but like a lot of "star" kids did not learn to adapt at the higher level once the suprise about his leap wore off.
Psyber
Coach

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL