52%
No
48%

Total votes : 50

Re: All Aboriginal Team to take on Ireland

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Hefty wrote:
Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:Where one group of people are given a bigger advantage and assistance, just based on their race, and nothing else.

White people in every day life? Why, yes.

Geez you talk some sh!t Q. There is not enough room on this page to highlight the 'assistance' indigenous australians get!

couldn't agree more hefty.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Q. » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Hefty wrote:
Q. wrote:
HH3 wrote:Where one group of people are given a bigger advantage and assistance, just based on their race, and nothing else.

Geez you talk some sh!t Q. There is not enough room on this page to highlight the 'assistance' indigenous australians get!

If you don't realise that we are already at an advantage for being male, middle class & white, then you have your head in the sand.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:33 pm

AFLflyer wrote:Arguments like this really pi## me off, especially coming from the white middleclass MAJORITY.
AFL has something unique in that 10% of the players are indigenous, nothing close to numbers in society. Why not celebrate that fact and get behind them.
To suggest this is racism is absurd!
The indigenous youth need these roll models to represent their culture on the world stage and give them something to inspire towards. Nothing but a positive move, even though its in a micky mouse competition.

I don't know how unique it is, America has a much greater white population yet leagues such as the NBA and NFL would have pretty close to a fifty fifty split of black and white players if not in favour of the black player.

Anyways ill support an Indiginous side against the Irish as I know more Indiginous people than Irish.

Do u think the Irish side is being briefed on what not to say on the field
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5610 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby cennals05 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 pm

Q. wrote:
Hefty wrote:
Q. wrote:

If you don't realise that we are already at an advantage for being male, middle class & white, then you have your head in the sand.

You took the words out of my mouth. I cannot believe how ignorant some people are about this.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby cripple » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:54 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
Hefty wrote:
Q. wrote:

couldn't agree more hefty.

What "assistance" are you talking about. Still plenty of australians of all races receiving money for unemployment, disability of multiple forms, training assistance etc... when strong arguments could be mounted that it is undeserved. Hiding behind race is a cop out for many in my opinion as well as having nothing to do with this topic
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby cripple » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:02 pm

whufc wrote:
AFLflyer wrote:Arguments like this really pi## me off, especially coming from the white middleclass MAJORITY.
AFL has something unique in that 10% of the players are indigenous, nothing close to numbers in society. Why not celebrate that fact and get behind them.
The indigenous youth need these roll models to represent their culture on the world stage and give them something to inspire towards. Nothing but a positive move, even though its in a micky mouse competition.

I don't know how unique it is, America has a much greater white population yet leagues such as the NBA and NFL would have pretty close to a fifty fifty split of black and white players if not in favour of the black player.

Anyways ill support an Indiginous side against the Irish as I know more Indiginous people than Irish.

I would say that the U.S. is a good fifty years in front of Australia in regards to race relationships in sport. Whilst there is a high percentage of black participants in professional sports like the nba, if you went down through the levels the roles apparently reverse. I think the sheer size of the population plays a role. There are only 250000 indigenous australians compared to 30 million african Americans at a guess in the states.
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby Wedgie » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:19 pm

I'm 1/8th Aboriginal and 1/4 Irish.
I'm going to be torn!!!

:lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby smac » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:34 pm

You should use lube then.
smac
Coach

Has liked: 165 times
Been liked: 233 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby helicopterking » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:24 am

Q. wrote:
Hefty wrote:
Q. wrote:

Are you Chris Rock?
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:19 pm

cripple wrote:What "assistance" are you talking about. Still plenty of australians of all races receiving money for unemployment, disability of multiple forms, training assistance etc... when strong arguments could be mounted that it is undeserved. Hiding behind race is a cop out for many in my opinion as well as having nothing to do with this topic

Correct.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:27 pm

Think people are looking at this the wrong way! It's not a white v black thing or a skin colour thing, it's an opportunity to celebrate and promote Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders culture and people.

Some of you say "What if the AFL sent a white Australian team".. that's a foolish comment and inherrently racist.. especially since "White Australia" is in actuality made up of a large array of different nationalities/heritage... had you said "What if the AFL sent an Irish Australian team" would you see it as racist??

Pretty sure the AFL announced an Italian team of the century recently - anyone see that as racist? No and it's not! It's a celebration and recognition of proud players with Italian heritage.

Get over it already, sending an indigenous side is a great idea and not remotely racist!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:59 am

Well said PG.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:26 pm

But haven't we established that if people are offended by it then, regardless of intention, it is racist?
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:49 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:But haven't we established that if people are offended by it then, regardless of intention, it is racist?

Great post ZC
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2425 times
Been liked: 1663 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Q. » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:But haven't we established that if people are offended by it then, regardless of intention, it is racist?

No.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:43 am

:? :?

People everywhere will always be offended by SOMETHING!
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:23 am

Phantom Gossiper wrote:

:? :?

People everywhere will always be offended by SOMETHING!

That is my point, I don't agree with it but that is an argument that people were putting forward during the Goodes discussion whereas now it doesn't apply?

If, and that's a big if, the girl in the Goodes incident was merely merely commenting on how Goodes looked at that point in time without realising the connotations then it's racist because someone is offended. Yet in this instance people are offended that they have chosen to only represent Aboriginal Australian's in this side yet it's not racist?

For the record I voted it's not racist, stupid yes but not racist.

As long as we continue to treat people differently, either negatively or overtly positively, there will always be division.

If you're human you're human lets leave it at that.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby cripple » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:01 pm

Squad of 33 announced today. No SA reps, must be something wrong with Wingard, Petrenko and Johncock. Davey and Lovett-Murray both getting farewell tours

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 4
cripple
League Bench Warmer

Postby Psyber » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:27 am

whufc wrote:
I think the average US negro is bigger and stronger than the average US white man and that counts in their popular sports - hence the ratio.
While our aborigines do not, on average, have that size advantage they do share with negros the tendency to greater speed and dexterity and so do well in sport.

Anthropological studies have suggested that generations of city life tend to lead to a reduction in the number of fast-twitch muscle fibres that are an advantage for the hunter-gatherer lifestyle, while those whose ancestry is closer to that lifestyle retain more of those fibres.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 395 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Grahaml » Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:56 am

Treating people differently because of their race and not their personal abilities is racism, so technically it is a form of racism and I don't see how anyone can deny that. Is it a problem in this case? Not at all IMHO. Sometimes you've just got to do things to balance things out. Taking steps to highlight the achievements of minorities is a small harmless piece of racism compared to the social injustices many still face.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL