Carlton 2014

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2014

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:30 am

I'm sitting watching the game (Carlton v Melbourne). We're clueless. If you watch us then watch a Hawthorn, Freo, Essendon, Port, we're so far off the mark it isn't funny.

i wonder if any one else thinks that Mick's gameplan is behind the times. Use of the corridor seems to be the way to go. We're getting picked off by foot, which means our skills are poor (which they are) and we're becoming too predictable.

When a coach says he's had 25 years in the system and suddenly we're 0-4, that would mean three things - we don't have the cattle (and I would suggest that our list is better than Melbourne's), our gameplan isn't working or we're unable to execute our gameplan.

Given Mick has been there two years and 2011 we were pushing a prelim, I'm thinking it's the gameplan not working.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:20 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
Q. wrote:
Spargo wrote:Where's Turbo? MIA?
Just because one part of your tag team is barred, shouldn't stop you from posting champ. :-H

Haha, unban Squids...pleeeeeeeeeease :lol:

regards,

REB

Nup, Teddy started posting in the EP thread, think he may have a bit of Overloaded about him
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Turbo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:02 am

[quote="Spargo"]Where's Turbo? MIA?
Just because one part of your tag team is barred, shouldn't stop you from posting champ. :-

It is what it is. Nice to know you're thinking of me though
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 pm

Sad thing about Carlton at the moment is they have hardly anyone out injured at the moment, compared to other teams.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:10 pm

Dutchy wrote:Sad thing about Carlton at the moment is they have hardly anyone out injured at the moment, compared to other teams.

It's not sad at all.

Kreuzer and Wait are no better than they were 4 years ago and Carlton has suffered because of it. They've got a long, long road ahead of them and one of or indeed both of those should be traded for a big pup with promise as soon as they can.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby CoverKing » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:39 pm

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:Sad thing about Carlton at the moment is they have hardly anyone out injured at the moment, compared to other teams.

It's not sad at all.

Kreuzer and Wait are no better than they were 4 years ago and Carlton has suffered because of it. They've got a long, long road ahead of them and one of or indeed both of those should be traded for a big pup with promise as soon as they can.

Waite has absolute no value now. Should of traded him 3-4 years ago when he had value despite playing bugger all games cause of suspension n injury.
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

Postby helicopterking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm

They need to find someone who has some form of on field leadership. Someone to lead the blokes into battle. Murphy wouldn't be able to get me off the couch. Take him out, and obviously Judd, who is there that would/could do it? If you can't name at 3 at your own club,your in some serious trouble.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:29 pm

pretty fair point there. kade simpson, judd, murphy is about it maybe, but they really dont have many players that just command respect, like almost any other club.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby helicopterking » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 pm

Kade Simpson, Barely. He is an outside player, flanker. Your skip needs to lead from the front. Step up when the chips are down, go to any position and immediately have an impact, not get beaten, and most importantly, get their own footy and straps his team mates in for the ride. Look at some of the best currently
Hodge,Ablett, Selwood, Pendlebury, Riewoldt, Glass, Pavlich.

I actually feel sorry for Murphy, thrown into the captaincy way before he was ready, mainly due to lack of genuine options.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:10 pm

helicopterking wrote:Kade Simpson, Barely. He is an outside player, flanker. Your skip needs to lead from the front. Step up when the chips are down, go to any position and immediately have an impact, not get beaten, and most importantly, get their own footy and straps his team mates in for the ride. Look at some of the best currently

I actually feel sorry for Murphy, thrown into the captaincy way before he was ready, mainly due to lack of genuine options.

I know and understand your bias, but throwing glass into the mix cheapens your argument. Which is a fair one, I'll add. Murphy wasn't ready to be skipper, we relied too heavily on juddy to lead us. I thought, with a bit of mongrel injected into him, jameson could've been captain. He'd have been similar to glass - reliable and strong. But not in the vain of the other blokes you've mentioned.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:22 pm

in terms of pure captaincy, glass' name is not out of place with the others mentioned.

doesnt have to be your captain either. at least from the crows side, and i know they are co captains at the moment, but dangerfield and sloane just command respect from everyone, team mates and opponents alike. cornes and boak are the same. as you say, almost every team has them, carlton seem to be lacking.

doesnt have to be a scruff of the neck type player either though. joel corey or james kelly (or nearly everyone from geelong) for instance just screams leadership even though he has probably never won a game off his own boot
bennymacca
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:44 am

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Kade Simpson, Barely. He is an outside player, flanker. Your skip needs to lead from the front. Step up when the chips are down, go to any position and immediately have an impact, not get beaten, and most importantly, get their own footy and straps his team mates in for the ride. Look at some of the best currently

I know and understand your bias, but throwing glass into the mix cheapens your argument. Which is a fair one, I'll add. Murphy wasn't ready to be skipper, we relied too heavily on juddy to lead us. I thought, with a bit of mongrel injected into him, jameson could've been captain. He'd have been similar to glass - reliable and strong. But not in the vain of the other blokes you've mentioned.

In terms of respect and pure captaincy amongst the group, Glass is one of the best. Just because you don't play in an attacking position, kick goals or get 30 touches, doesn't rule you out from being captain. Captains set a standard, Glass is rarely beaten in 1 on 1 contests and expects the rest of his team mates to do the same. Plus, if you remove him, it leaves only Cox and maybe Priddis who could do the job respectably. Look at Geelong with Scarlett, why he wasn't the official Captain, he basically Captained Geelongs entire backline.
A feel your Captain has to be the player that knows his game back to front, doesn't vary from his strengths and knows what works and what doesn't on a footy field.
Perfect example is Pendlebury, everyone knew he would eventually Captain Collingwood, but they stuck with Maxwell until the time was right and Pendlebury had fine tuned his game, to become the complete player.
I feel Murphy is not there yet, still learning his game and trying to add strings to his bow. It's bloody tough to do that, and lead your team and drag them over the line and cop the scrutiny that comes with the position.
I
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:42 pm

I think you are wrong about Simpson. He has the respect of his players and should have been made skipper. Tom Harley wasn't a monster either and he got the job done.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby nuggety goodness » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:09 pm

more imprtantly than the captain saga, when are the blues gonna win a game?

trying to put bias aside i think the dogs will get up this week then they have West Coast (H), Collingwood and St. Kilda before the bye

in all honesty they could be 0-8 at the break and what pressure would that put onto Mick and the boys?!?
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Spargo » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:15 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:in all honesty they could be 0-8 at the break

[-o< [-o< [-o<
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5525 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:33 pm

Spargo wrote:
nuggety goodness wrote:in all honesty they could be 0-8 at the break

[-o< [-o< [-o<

[-o< [-o< [-o<
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:04 pm

nuggety goodness wrote:more imprtantly than the captain saga, when are the blues gonna win a game?

trying to put bias aside i think the dogs will get up this week then they have West Coast (H), Collingwood and St. Kilda before the bye

in all honesty they could be 0-8 at the break and what pressure would that put onto Mick and the boys?!?

surely they have a bit too much class in their midfield to lose to st kilda, but then again, i would have thought that about melbourne.

if they are 0-8 at the break, all hell will break loose.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:38 pm

helicopterking wrote:
kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:

In terms of respect and pure captaincy amongst the group, Glass is one of the best. Just because you don't play in an attacking position, kick goals or get 30 touches, doesn't rule you out from being captain. Captains set a standard, Glass is rarely beaten in 1 on 1 contests and expects the rest of his team mates to do the same. Plus, if you remove him, it leaves only Cox and maybe Priddis who could do the job respectably. Look at Geelong with Scarlett, why he wasn't the official Captain, he basically Captained Geelongs entire backline.
A feel your Captain has to be the player that knows his game back to front, doesn't vary from his strengths and knows what works and what doesn't on a footy field.
Perfect example is Pendlebury, everyone knew he would eventually Captain Collingwood, but they stuck with Maxwell until the time was right and Pendlebury had fine tuned his game, to become the complete player.
I feel Murphy is not there yet, still learning his game and trying to add strings to his bow. It's bloody tough to do that, and lead your team and drag them over the line and cop the scrutiny that comes with the position.
I

I don't think glass fits in with what you said earlier. I'm sure I'd have Watson in that list ahead of him. In saying that, I thought jameson could've played a similar skipper role for us that glass does for wc, and I'd have been more than satisfied.
We do agree that murphy was thrown in the deep end with the captaincy, He'll struggle to be the best player he can be while he's learning to lead his club.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:56 pm

#united :lol:

#clutchingatstraws
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5525 times
Been liked: 5160 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:58 pm

Spargo wrote:#united :lol:

#clutchingatstraws

#carlton

#united

#brewery