Finals Week 1

Talk on the national game

Re: Finals Week 1

Postby helicopterking » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:58 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I'll change the subject for a second. I'll revisit my point earlier. The game to me was not finals intensity. The game was screaming out for someone just to be clean in a 50/50 contest and then hit a target. It was blokes playing safe footy and then Richmond rolled the dice. When someone finally was clean in the contest and hit some tit then goals were scored.

No. Hard to be clean when the pressure is manic. GWS pressure was non existant at times.
Perfect example was Heath Shaw on Betts, didn't lay a touch on him for the whole first half, trying to slut off and get cheap kicks. Not many cheap kicks available tonight. Conditions also played a factor early tonight
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:44 am

Suprise suprise, Geelongs next final confirmed for the MCG by the AFL against either Sydney or Essendon on Friday night. So glad we came 2nd.

Can understand it though as since the MCG was conifigured into its current state outside of grand finals, there are only two games that can top tonights attendance at the 'G: the 98,002 that went to Geelong and Collingwood's 2007 prelim and the 95,241 that attended the 2010 Geelong v Collingwood prelim.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2062 times
Been liked: 3919 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:45 am

LMA wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I'll change the subject for a second. I'll revisit my point earlier. The game to me was not finals intensity. The game was screaming out for someone just to be clean in a 50/50 contest and then hit a target. It was blokes playing safe footy and then Richmond rolled the dice. When someone finally was clean in the contest and hit some tit then goals were scored.

Do you want to hear that last night's game was of a superior finals intensity. Well sorry tonight's was more finals like for mine, regardless of skill level

Jumping to conclusions there mate. Never said that or insinuated that. Not a dick measuring contest I just don't believe the over the top crap the commentators feed you at times.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Rik E Boy » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:24 am

Wedgie wrote:Suprise suprise, Geelongs next final confirmed for the MCG by the AFL against either Sydney or Essendon on Friday night. So glad we came 2nd.

Can understand it though as since the MCG was conifigured into its current state outside of grand finals, there are only two games that can top tonights attendance at the 'G: the 98,002 that went to Geelong and Collingwood's 2007 prelim and the 95,241 that attended the 2010 Geelong v Collingwood prelim.

I know it's not the point you're making but if you can't win at the G you can't win the flag. We aren't good enough so the venue isnt a big issue for mine.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1704 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:49 am

Rik E Boy wrote:
I know it's not the point you're making but if you can't win at the G you can't win the flag. We aren't good enough so the venue isnt a big issue for mine.

Regards,

REB

Anything can happen last Saturday of the season, but Geelong are being screwed over the chance to improve their journey to that day.

Couple of games at Kardina Pk would greatly improve their odds..

It's like making the Crows play at the MCG instead of AO and then saying "oh well bad luck, if you can't win at the MCG you won't win a GF"
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4041 times

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:51 am

Wedgie wrote:
cracka wrote::shock: The free against S Sellwood for taking the Richmond players legs out was bullsh!t. That was a genuine hard ball get of the highest order

We are used to it, we don't get home finals and we don't get home ground umpire advantages, it's why I said for years we'd never win a flag again before 2007 as the odds are stacked against us more than any club in the comp.
It's ok for Brisbane to have home finals when the GABBA only held 17k but we are not allowed to have home finals when our ground holds 30k. Go figure.

Pretty sure Brisbane got dudded the year Port won the flag due to that Ethiad contract.

Edit- Found it,
''Brisbane played its "home" final at the MCG despite being ranked above Geelong due to the agreement then in place with the Melbourne Cricket Club that at least one game each week of the finals be played at the MCG.''
Now THAT was a rip off, bit harder than a half hour drive up the road.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 am

Sheik Yerbouti wrote:Pretty sure Brisbane got dudded the year Port won the flag due to that Ethiad contract.

Wasn't that something to do with turnaround days between games, not the venue?
The Bedge
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:56 am

Edit above your post
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Brodlach » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:00 am

The Bedge wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

REB

Anything can happen last Saturday of the season, but Geelong are being screwed over the chance to improve their journey to that day.

It's like making the Crows play at the MCG instead of AO and then saying "oh well bad luck, if you can't win at the MCG you won't win a GF"

Last time I looked Geelong was in Victoria (75km to the MCG) and Adelaide was about 800km away.

Grand Final will be played at the MCG in Victoria, not fair on the Crows if they make it, as they finished top. It's the rules people just need to deal with it
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:10 am

The Bedge wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

REB

It's funny you mention that as that did happen in 2002. Adelaide finished 3rd and was then forced to play 3 away finals in a row due to stupid agreements with the MCG and AFL. These rules have now changed.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:13 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

REB

It's funny you mention that as that did happen in 2002. Adelaide finished 3rd and was then forced to play 3 away finals in a row due to stupid agreements with the MCG and AFL. These rules have now changed.

Just on that the game in question vs Melbourne at the MCG was one of the better games of footy I have seen.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby MW » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:39 am

Wedgie wrote:Suprise suprise, Geelongs next final confirmed for the MCG by the AFL against either Sydney or Essendon on Friday night. So glad we came 2nd.

There would have been 22 more in attendance if Geelong decided to turn up :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby The Bedge » Sat Sep 09, 2017 9:52 am

Just because they are the rules, or the way it's always been - does it make it right?

Surely if Geelong are good enough to earn a home final, they should be entitled to play a home final.

If the ground is good enough for night games and regular season fixtures through out the year, then surely it's good enough to host a final.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:05 am

The Bedge wrote:Just because they are the rules, or the way it's always been - does it make it right?

Surely if Geelong are good enough to earn a home final, they should be entitled to play a home final.

If the ground is good enough for night games and regular season fixtures through out the year, then surely it's good enough to host a final.

$
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2637 times
Been liked: 1865 times

Postby mighty hounds » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:16 am

The Bedge wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

REB

Just on that the game in question vs Melbourne at the MCG was one of the better games of footy I have seen.

8 goals up then 4 goals down and then kicking 6 or 8 goals in the last quarter!
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 286 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:50 am

Plenty of Bombers at the airport this morning. Club has organised 10 buses up there aswell and estimate that 12,000 members got tickets so should be a decent contingent of fans there
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3565 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Bum Crack » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:51 am

How good is Steven Motlop. Hopefully that is his last game for Geelong. Looking forward to playing Sydney next week. Pigs arse.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 321 times
Been liked: 896 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby DOC » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:11 am

Port will get him cheaply I think but why would you want him. MIA.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 743 times
Been liked: 2116 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:20 am

Jim05 wrote:Plenty of Bombers at the airport this morning. Club has organised 10 buses up there aswell and estimate that 12,000 members got tickets so should be a decent contingent of fans there

At airport now, about to fly out... swan supporters outnumber the bombers ones in a massive 6 to 2 haha
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3036 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:20 am

Bum Crack wrote:How good is Steven Motlop. Hopefully that is his last game for Geelong. Looking forward to playing Sydney next week. Pigs arse.

Sydney have to win first
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3036 times
Been liked: 2406 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL