Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:28 am

MW wrote:I wouldn't panic just yet if I were a Port fan. Polec is lost without White on the other wing, trying to cover both so they need to help him out there. Hartlett was a big out in the back line but you should be able to put another player in his role to cover him. Dixon got exposed with Schulz out. Gray, while very very good, tries to do too much (and usually succeeds in doing so). Wingard if out with a hammy will hurt. Boak looks a little out of sorts but should work into the season.
You've got a player in Sam Gray...prolific ball winner. Maybe just not in the right spots on the ground though.
IMO your main problem is your key backs in Carslile and Trengrove. They look very slow.

If I were to summarise Port's position, the section I've underlined would mirror my thoughts.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby hawks21 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:07 am

Backline speed could be an issue however in modern day football if your midfield doesn’t pressure the ball carrier it doesn’t matter how quick your defenders are! Port had more inside 50’s but were under pressure and bombed or just a quick kick forward which allowed the Crows to Zone off and help each other out. Basically the opposite down the other end!

I think a bit of Ports problem is your 16 – 25 players. Your top end talent is unquestionable however when your good players like Boak, Wines, Wingard aren’t playing well your 'role' or 'depth' players struggle to make an impact (Aaron Young the exception on the weekend).
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:13 am

It's only round 2 - sure it was a very poor game, but geez no need to start throwing knives! Plenty of upsets and poor performances over the weekend - premiership favs West Coast got pumped by 8 goals we well, Freo lost their 2nd in a row, Geelong lost to GWS who lost to Melb last week..

Long season, gonna be up and downs, still reckon Port will be there when the whips are cracking, no need to get all excited after the one poor performance.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:25 am

Zartan wrote:It's only round 2 - sure it was a very poor game, but geez no need to start throwing knives! Plenty of upsets and poor performances over the weekend - premiership favs West Coast got pumped by 8 goals we well, Freo lost their 2nd in a row, Geelong lost to GWS who lost to Melb last week..

Long season, gonna be up and downs, still reckon Port will be there when the whips are cracking, no need to get all excited after the one poor performance.

One could argue that it has been two poor performances though - getting pushed all the way at home by a bottom 4 candidate, then getting smashed by a side that almost everyone tipped to miss the finals, would have alarm bells ringing in my books. If they lost by a goal to the crows then yeah, could argue that it is an aberration, but they got pummelled.

There were a few supporters behind us on the hill that were absolutely giving it to David MacKay during the first quarter, particularly when he shanked that kick. But at quarter time he had more possessions than the bottom eight of port COMBINED.

Port had far too many passengers, and I think that is the most concerning thing. Off games from a few stars you can put down to an aberration, but 12 port players got 12 or less touches on the weekend (wingard was one of them and has an excuse)

Port will be happy they have Essendon this week, and I wouldn't wanna be them as I think Port will come out breathing fire, but the two weeks after that, GWS away, and Geelong at home I think we will really see where port is at.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby The Bedge » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:28 am

Must say I didn't watch the game because I had footy, but I did watch a quick highlights package on the way home, and the glaring thing that stood out for me was the amount of space the Crows forwards particularly Betts seemed to have - same as against St Kilda the week before.. Maybe Port just need to say stuff it we'll have a defender that just stays home all game in the D50 :lol:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4035 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:43 am

wasn't just betts either, there was so much space in front of centre.

MacKay, Lynch, Laird, Milera Douglas and Betts combined for 27 inside 50s, which shows to me that the crows had lots of space to hit the link-up men.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 11:34 am

Heard a stat that Port have had 12 goals kicked against them from the goal square in first 2 games, indicates they are getting exposed on the turnover, which is what the problem was last year.

Add that they have copped some injuries early on and their depth is questionable, not an ideal start ot the year, albeit its only early April.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:07 pm

hawks21 wrote:Backline speed could be an issue however in modern day football if your midfield doesn’t pressure the ball carrier it doesn’t matter how quick your defenders are! Port had more inside 50’s but were under pressure and bombed or just a quick kick forward which allowed the Crows to Zone off and help each other out. Basically the opposite down the other end!

I think a bit of Ports problem is your 16 – 25 players. Your top end talent is unquestionable however when your good players like Boak, Wines, Wingard aren’t playing well your 'role' or 'depth' players struggle to make an impact (Aaron Young the exception on the weekend).

This. Our midfield need to work both ways, they happily peel forward when we have the ball but don't create enough pressure at the top our our F50 arc or through the centre of the field when the ball is going the other way.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:21 pm

Thought Aaron Young had a real crack too. Even without his magic ability to get the ball to bounce through the goals, he was certainly one that could hold his head high
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:38 pm

bennymacca wrote:Thought Aaron Young had a real crack too. Even without his magic ability to get the ball to bounce through the goals, he was certainly one that could hold his head high

He's under utilized IMO, he could be a good run with player if given the chance ( I think they were developing him like that 2 years ago ) and is one of those fringe players who has a real crack when given a chance. He should have been ahead of Moore ( now at Richmond ) and Mitchell last year IMO.

Hopefully he gets more game time to develop his skills under pressure.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:47 pm

Dutchy wrote:Heard a stat that Port have had 12 goals kicked against them from the goal square in first 2 games, indicates they are getting exposed on the turnover, which is what the problem was last year.

Add that they have copped some injuries early on and their depth is questionable, not an ideal start ot the year, albeit its only early April.

Agreed and was the reason I wasn't booking GF tickets, optimistic our best is good enough, but troubled with depth.

If Schulz, Hartlett, Ryder, Monfries and White were fit and available then Howard, Young, Lobbe, Neade and Toumpas would be out of the side, so that would offer some depth with those 5 in the wings.

With the 5 listed above missing and the 5 that are in the side then its Butcher who we know isn't up to it, Mitchell the same, Amon who is developing, Stewart who can't find himself a position, Colquhoun who is behind Impey and Krakouer, O'Shea who is behind Jonas and Clurey and it's really only Clurey who is missing from that mix, with Krakouer.

Byrne-Jones hasn't even been close to selection behind Broadbent, Impey, Colquhoun and Krakouer.

Not many with some positives to their game knocking on Kenny's door.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:05 pm

Any back this week? short turn around won't help
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3566 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Hartlett will play is the word, was purely precautionary from what I know. Schulz won't make it, I don't think, he might be a few weeks, he might be one more but anyone who has ever done a back knows it's day to day.

Clurey not back yet, at least a few weeks away.

Riley Bonner can come straight in for Toumpas IMO. Toumpas is so slow with his hands, so slow to make a decision.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Booney wrote:Hartlett will play is the word, was purely precautionary from what I know. Schulz won't make it, I don't think, he might be a few weeks, he might be one more but anyone who has ever done a back knows it's day to day.

Riley Bonner can come straight in for Toumpas IMO. Toumpas is so slow with his hands, so slow to make a decision.

Both TV footy shows yesterday mentioned Schulz may require back surgery which could be career ending
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:14 pm

Booney wrote:Hartlett will play is the word, was purely precautionary from what I know. Schulz won't make it, I don't think, he might be a few weeks, he might be one more but anyone who has ever done a back knows it's day to day.

Bassett stated you were to big accross the ground, do think a tall goes out? maybe a Carlisle? still have big bodies in Jonas Hombsch and Trengrove
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:15 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Both TV footy shows yesterday mentioned Schulz may require back surgery which could be career ending

And has been refuted, Kane Cornes ran with it, Jay Schulz tweeted to say that information is incorrect, what I heard is closer to Schulz's stance than Kanes.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:16 pm

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

And has been refuted, Kane Cornes ran with it, Jay Schulz tweeted to say that information is incorrect, what I heard is closer to Schulz's stance than Kanes.

Bloody Cornes' making stuff up again[emoji1]
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3556 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Footy Smart wrote:

Bassett stated you were to big accross the ground, do think a tall goes out? maybe a Carlisle? still have big bodies in Jonas Hombsch and Trengrove

I don't think so, Hombsch plays taller than he is with smart body work and when Trengove goes in the middle to let Lobbe rest we would be too short with Carlile, Jonas and Hombsch there.

I expect Howard to get another run this week, I think he did enough to hold his spot in the side especially in the middle of the ground. Might mean Jonas goes out for another mid....probably Mitchell. :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:Bloody Cornes' making stuff up again[emoji1]

I believe that's once this week, yes. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:37 pm

Interesting after the wash up looking at the stats. Lobbe matched Jacobs in terms of hit outs to advantage which is interesting as well as the contested ball and clearances.

Jacobs 41 - 8 to advantage
Lobbe 38 - 7 to advantage

From that you would say Lobbe held his own. Jacobs is no mug and one of the best in the comp, so I would suggest it was a fair improvement form Lobbe this week and hence he was not your issue. Also you guys one your share of contested ball and clearances. Smashed in un contested possesions as we saw the crows had so much space. Obviously the issue others have eluded to about the press.

Another interesting fact, inside 50's: Port 70 Crows 55. Staggering really, your delivery was terrible to your forwards.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL