Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Talk on the national game

Re: Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:16 pm

Booney wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Out of curiosity, What or who would you give up to get Lycett?

There's the kicker. Not much other than draft picks, but having said that I think Port would be pretty happy with the current squad and may be prepared to "skip" a draft and give up a first and second rounder to get Lycett.

The only WA native we have, I think, is Ben Newton who is burning up the SANFL this year and constantly pushing for AFL selection. I doubt he would be someone we would be willing to give up. If we really want Lycett though, he may be one of interest to the Eagles.

It could also be a case of him seeking greater opportunities over a fringe spot at Port.

i think it would take a first rounder to get lycett. especially with cox retiring soon, there is probably a lot of opportunities coming soon if he stays at WC too
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby NO-MERCY » Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 pm

How many has he kicked in how many games
NO-MERCY
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 15 times

Postby stan » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
helicopterking wrote:Out of curiosity, What or who would you give up to get Lycett?

There's the kicker. Not much other than draft picks, but having said that I think Port would be pretty happy with the current squad and may be prepared to "skip" a draft and give up a first and second rounder to get Lycett.

The only WA native we have, I think, is Ben Newton who is burning up the SANFL this year and constantly pushing for AFL selection. I doubt he would be someone we would be willing to give up. If we really want Lycett though, he may be one of interest to the Eagles.

It could also be a case of him seeking greater opportunities over a fringe spot at Port.

i think it would take a first rounder to get lycett. especially with cox retiring soon, there is probably a lot of opportunities coming soon if he stays at WC too

At this stage he is also behind Sinclair as well. I think we would take Newton to be honest.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1255 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:33 pm

Valleys, you gonna go a match report like the last couple of weeks? I enjoy reading what you have to say about how you see your side and where you think they need to improve/played well etc.

I think the form or Monfries post ankle would be a worry as well. And the knockers were out for Pittard on the radio and FB again. I thought he played ok minus 2 errors.
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:43 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Valleys, you gonna go a match report like the last couple of weeks? I enjoy reading what you have to say about how you see your side and where you think they need to improve/played well etc.

I think the form or Monfries post ankle would be a worry as well. And the knockers were out for Pittard on the radio and FB again. I thought he played ok minus 2 errors.

I was actually going to say the same thing. I like his match reports
bennymacca
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Cheers Benny and FS- nice to read that a few enjoy my ramblings.

I wont be doing a report on the bombers game, as I didn't sit down and watch it due to a work function. I'm not comfortable reporting on games I didn't see, as numbers can be misleading, especially in games like that.

My wife, who was at home watching the game, did report that Essendon's tackling pressure and contested ball were very good saturday night. I cant help but get the feeling that Port have been worked out over the last month. Fingers crossed Kenny can enforce a stronger plan B over the next fortnight and get us back on track.

FS- as for Gus- im very concerned for him and our small forward contingent. Gus fought a nil all draw against Smith, but was very quiet on saturday night again. His numbers in terms of disposals and goals are down on last year, which is why he became such a damaging player last season, due to his offensive output as well as his defensive output (his defensive numbers are actually on par with where they were last year- he just isnt hitting the scoreboard enough in 2014).

I dont quite understand the hate for Jasper. Yeah- his brainfades come at costly times, and can result in opposition scores- but you will get that from him. Since the Sydney game, his offensive drive and willingness to counter-attack have left him in our best 5 regularly imo. From what I have read- he and O'Shea were the only defenders willing to take the game on- which really does highlight the holes that Trengove and Carlisle leave back there, such as Hombsch and Jonas' offensive playmaking with a full back 6. It didnt help that Broadbent couldnt get near it on saturday night either.

Big game this week against the tigers it goes without saying.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 768 times
Been liked: 1171 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Port 2014 - Pre-Season/General Discussion

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:09 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Valleys, you gonna go a match report like the last couple of weeks? I enjoy reading what you have to say about how you see your side and where you think they need to improve/played well etc.

A bit more than 2 errors, Pittard almost got votes for us.
The form of Wingard must be a concern, was well held again on the weekend.
Cornes did a brilliant job on Heppell and cut him out of the game, Heps got loose once for the night and unfortunately for Kane that was the game winner. Bags did a superb job on Gus, has really turned into an important defender for us, gets the job done most weeks
Port will be fine, got the bye this week
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:22 pm

Ports improvement has been on the back if their outside run and offensive ability, polec, gray, white, and wingard in particular. Seems to me that if you pressure them on the outside and don't give those guys space, they just lose that spark and stop taking the game on.

Having said that, bringing that pressure is pretty hard to do. Didn't see the essendon game but against the crows it was about as hard as I have seen the crows work. Not an easy thing to do.

I wouldn't be too worried as a port fan though. We knew all along that they were more like a 3-5 team rather than a top 2 team, this might just be the little wake up call they need before the serious stuff begins. They are still in the mix for a top 2 spot if they keep winning.

I would expect them to come out and belt Richmond. I doubt they can bring that defensive pressure like the swans crows and bombers have done. Worrying that they will have to play Sydney freo or hawthorn in a quali though, as all of them are pretty great defensive sides when they need to be. A home final will be critical for port
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Would interested in Wingards stats in Wins v Losses
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3567 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Dutchy wrote:Would interested in Wingards stats in Wins v Losses

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ps-p ... ad-wingard

Look up "splits" on there. Tried to do it myself but it's hard on the phone
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:45 pm

I guess they stopped when they were top top top ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3034 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:56 pm

As valleys was tied up at a prior engagement I’ll do my best to deputise in his notable absence from the match and post game summary.

Essendon’s scouts did their homework on Port by closely reviewing the Adelaide game, there is no doubt. Both sides stifled the Port run by not allowing the “out the back” player to be free.

As Adelaide managed to keep key playmakers in Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec quiet, so too did Essendon. What this then did was apply more pressure on the likes of Boak, Wines and Ebert to win contested ball and use it well inside the contest as opposed to the dish to outside runners and those who sit behind the midfield contests, mainly the three mentioned above ( Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec )

Essendon also tackled with constant endeavour to add physical and perceived pressure to Port’s midfield.

Again, Wingard and Monfries had a quiet night in conditions that you would think would have suited both players. Herein lies the reason I think they have both been quiet, Trengove going down. From half time of the Adelaide game any moment in time where the opponent has had the run of play Port have had to send Westhoff back. Now this is not strange, but over the last 12 weeks it hasn’t been too often that he has had to go back there as Trengove has been foiling forward sorties from the opposition and creating ground balls for the likes of Hartlett, Broadbent and Polec to gather while Ebert, Boak and others spread to create run forward.

So now the back half is under pressure, the midfield can’t spread as hard and because of that there’s more contested ball and less uncontested to utilise our run. More contested ball, more body on body and are much publicised last half run is stifled through sheer physical pressure.

Ports best :

Robbie Gray – Stood out with his clean hands and stoppage work ( 30 disposals, 4 clearances, 2 tackles, 1 goal, 3 I50 ) on a night made for the little blokes. He’s been the real standout for Port this year with consistent efforts in almost every match. He gets attention, every week, but he is shining in his role playing further up the ground as a now mid/forward as opposed to a forward/mid.

Hamish Harlett – I know I mentioned above his influence was limited ( 29 disposal, 8 clearances, 1 R50, 5 I50 ) and his numbers suggest he had a solid game, he did. The real stat there is the 1 rebound 50, he’s been closer to 3 or 4 a week and having the midfield under pressure drew him away from the D50 where he has done much of his best work.

Cam O’Shea – In a good sign for Port O’Shea had arguably his best game at AFL level. ( 28 disposal, 7 R50, 5 I50 ) Coming in to cover the loss of Trengove/Carlile he stood up and showed he can play solid defensive footy. His disposal efficiency ( 67% ) although not competition best was perhaps above average for a bloke who can be suspect by foot. He made sure his spot was safe for the nextg two weeks at least.

Travis Boak – Again led from the front and won some important touches in the third quarter ( along with R.Gray ) to get Port back in the contest. 22 disposals, 2 clearances, 3 I50 and a goal are not massive numbers, but he was there when Port needed a player to get a hand in and spoil a Essendon clearance or take a mark outside a stoppage. One of the few mids to work hard all night a spread when he had a chance.

Of the remainder Jack Hombsch was sound, as was Jonas and Ollie Wines.

Port won possessions, contested possessions, clearances, hit outs, I50, had 25 shots to 22. Essendon laid 96 tackles to 62. That all reads like a Port win, more of the ball, Essendon chased all night. Not so.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:Would interested in Wingards stats in Wins v Losses

Wins :

Disposals 17.1
Goals 2.2
Tackles 2.7
Marks 4.4

Losses :

Disposals 14
Goals 1
Tackles 3.2
Marks 1.2

Clearly getting more attention in the air, not being allowed to run at contests. That's been clear the last couple of weeks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7519 times
Been liked: 10817 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:03 pm

Goddard copped a week for belting Cornes. Chappy and Gray no case to answer
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3560 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Well done booney, you and valleys are clearly the exceptions that prove the rule about port supporters ;)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dr Phil » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 pm

Jim05 wrote:Goddard copped a week for belting Cornes. Chappy and Gray no case to answer

rekon chapman was lucky..... some of the jabs connected with a bit of force.
Dr Phil
Rookie

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:51 pm

Never mind Sando solving the Port riddle, that was done in Alice Springs by Paul Roos. Port were on fire when they played the Demons but took a fair while to shake the persistent bastards off. Since then a few teams have tried the same tactic, including Adelaide. It will be interesting to see how Kinkley reacts in the coaches box.

Some reactions to the Bombers loss suggest that this game was lost at selection when they brought in smalls for bigs.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1699 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Good point there rik. Melbourne just didn't have the cattle to get over the line (it worked against a lesser opposition like the crows though)
bennymacca
Coach

Postby GWW » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:49 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Some reactions to the Bombers loss suggest that this game was lost at selection when they brought in smalls for bigs.

Kane Mitchell being preferred over Aaron Young defies common sense really.

Admittedly Hinkley does have some credits to his name, but this type of selection just brings back memories of the ol' Choco days of 7 or 8 years ago.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Phantom Gossiper » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:05 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Never mind Sando solving the Port riddle, that was done in Alice Springs by Paul Roos. Port were on fire when they played the Demons but took a fair while to shake the persistent bastards off. Since then a few teams have tried the same tactic, including Adelaide. It will be interesting to see how Kinkley reacts in the coaches box.

Some reactions to the Bombers loss suggest that this game was lost at selection when they brought in smalls for bigs.

regards,

REB

I would actually go as far as to say that North Melb Rd 3 showed the way. They ground down Port with their defensive pressure and didn't allow their outside runners the space and freedom to run. As a result Ports skill exectution was also poor, they looked tired in the last quarter and ended up losing the game.
Phantom Gossiper
Coach

Has liked: 402 times
Been liked: 285 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL