Crows 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Crows 2016

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:56 pm

Interesting few weeks coming up. If we get the win this week we will go in to the top 2. I say IF because we have had incredible luck so far this year and probably deserve some after the run of luck we have had from 2013 to 2015. However surely some of that luck has to wear thin at some stage. We are doing what we have to though and honestly there is no other team in the league who can say they have had a chance to win every game they have played in this year half way through the last 1/4 by being within at the most 1 goal. In other words to back up that luck we are doing a lot of other things right.

Geelong is the season defining game as I reckon we can potentially still lose 1 more and finish top 2.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:19 pm

Collingwood H
Geelong A
Essendon H
Brisbane H
Fremantle A
Port A
West Coast H

Reckon its a pretty huge game against Collingwood. They are playing decent footy lately and they travel well.

I am pretty confident about Brisbane Essendon West Coast

Port is always tricky, Geelong i think we will lose, and freo could be anything in a months time

Centrebet has us as equal favourites with Hawthorn and Sydney to go top @3.75, and $1.20 to finish top 4

Equal second favourites for the flag @5.5 with Geelong and Sydney, Hawthorn @4.25

I really dont feel as confident as the bookies here. Probably more a function of the fact that none of the other teams seem to be that good either.

Seems like a prime year to grab a flag when you probably didnt think you were that close, before GWS get really good in the next few years
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:26 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:A heat map for all of Josh Jenkins goals

:lol:

If they can't stop you no need to kick from further out.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:33 pm

bennymacca wrote:Collingwood H
Geelong A
Essendon H
Brisbane H
Fremantle A
Port A
West Coast H

Reckon its a pretty huge game against Collingwood. They are playing decent footy lately and they travel well.

Port is always tricky, Geelong i think we will lose, and freo could be anything in a months time

Centrebet has us as equal favourites with Hawthorn and Sydney to go top @3.75, and $1.20 to finish top 4

Equal second favourites for the flag @5.5 with Geelong and Sydney, Hawthorn @4.25

I really dont feel as confident as the bookies here. Probably more a function of the fact that none of the other teams seem to be that good either.

Seems like a prime year to grab a flag when you probably didnt think you were that close, before GWS get really good in the next few years

Will win all of those.
Will finish top 2 easily.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3571 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:56 pm

I'm going to say it I've probably never been prouder of a Crows team than this year's group. Everyone myself included thought with the loss of Dangerfield and the tough early schedule we would be in for a long year and with the tragic circumstances of last year would perhaps understandably go backwards this year but full credit to Don Pyke and the players I haven't seen the Crows play with such hunger and fight and playing an attractive brand of footy in such a long time.

The come from behind win against West Coast in Perth confirmed we were a legitimately serious team.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I think the Geelong game is quite important. We have lost to North, WB, Hawthorn and Geelong who have all been at one point in the top 4 or still are...I think we need a top 4 scalp to go into the finals with some confidence and this will be our only chance from here on in.
Also have we ever won at Kardinia Park?
I hope they set themselves for a big one.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2649 times
Been liked: 1879 times

Postby Gozu » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:13 pm

MW wrote:Also have we ever won at Kardinia Park?

I reckon we've won more premierships than we have games at Geelong!
Gozu
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Jim05 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Collingwood H
Geelong A
Essendon H
Brisbane H
Fremantle A
Port A
West Coast H

Will win all of those.
Will finish top 2 easily.

Will drop at least one, no team these days can win 14 rounds in a row
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Gozu wrote:

Played there 18 times for 3 wins.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10855 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Gozu wrote:I'm going to say it I've probably never been prouder of a Crows team than this year's group. Everyone myself included thought with the loss of Dangerfield and the tough early schedule we would be in for a long year and with the tragic circumstances of last year would perhaps understandably go backwards this year but full credit to Don Pyke and the players I haven't seen the Crows play with such hunger and fight and playing an attractive brand of footy in such a long time.

The come from behind win against West Coast in Perth confirmed we were a legitimately serious team.

I have been proud of the entire club since the appointment of Fagan. Made some tough calls and some correct appointments. For too long the club accepted mediocrity both on and off the field. Can not fault the last 2 years to date and the current playing group has been to hell and back together. Still... Adelaide has done a lot of hard work through the years during the season and come finals time pissed it all down the drain need to make this one count. They have a very unique opportunity given the luck that has gone our way this year. 2002, 2003 (Lost to Brisbane at the GABBA, I am being a bit stiff with that one), 2005, 2006 and 2012 all wasted opportunities where we should have seen at least 1 GF appearance. 4 of those 5 years we finished top 3 after the minor rounds.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:31 pm

While this year is an opportunity, as noted above, for someone to pull one out of the hat it also plays right into the hands of the Hawks and Swans, the seasoned been-there-done-that squads and to a lesser extent the Cats group.

Adelaide, GWS and the Dogs are going in eyes wide open not knowing exactly how their systems are going to hold up in the big games where as the Hawks and Swans will be at their most workman like in the last three weeks of the year.

Adelaide are neck deep in 2016 though, finish top 2 and probably get Sydney or GWS in Adelaide week 1 with a home prelim on offer for the winner and anything is possible.

For mine, Adelaide want to avoid Sydney. The win over them early this year is the stuff that quality sides remember and want to even up, avoid them and Hawthorn until prelim weekend at all costs.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7538 times
Been liked: 10855 times

Postby Stumps » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:35 pm

Hate to say it but find it quite humerous people trying to find the remaining game that is crucial, or most important. Boring but they are all worth 4 points each. If they win all but 1 of them, doesn't matter which one. They will be top 2
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby MW » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:56 pm

Stumps wrote:Hate to say it but find it quite humerous people trying to find the remaining game that is crucial, or most important. Boring but they are all worth 4 points each. If they win all but 1 of them, doesn't matter which one. They will be top 2

You don't see more value in performing well against better opposition?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2649 times
Been liked: 1879 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Booney wrote:While this year is an opportunity, as noted above, for someone to pull one out of the hat it also plays right into the hands of the Hawks and Swans, the seasoned been-there-done-that squads and to a lesser extent the Cats group.

Adelaide, GWS and the Dogs are going in eyes wide open not knowing exactly how their systems are going to hold up in the big games where as the Hawks and Swans will be at their most workman like in the last three weeks of the year.

Adelaide are neck deep in 2016 though, finish top 2 and probably get Sydney or GWS in Adelaide week 1 with a home prelim on offer for the winner and anything is possible.

For mine, Adelaide want to avoid Sydney. The win over them early this year is the stuff that quality sides remember and want to even up, avoid them and Hawthorn until prelim weekend at all costs.

Good post. Yeah it does seem like that this year.

And also think you are on the money regarding Sydney. We played out of our skins that game. Was the game of the year in my opinion.

If we got GWS at home I would be extremely confident
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Zorro » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:06 pm

Booney wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Played there 18 times for 3 wins.

Ayres giving the Geelong fans the 2 fingered salute comes to mind..... \M/
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby stan » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:16 pm

MW wrote:I am getting fed up with the media, Melbourne media in particular, shit bagging JJ for his "Joe the Goose" goals.
There is a clear reason why he gets so many...for a 199cm 100kg big man, who is always matched up on similar if not smaller players, he has the speed over the first 20m to burn away most if not all of them and get out ahead towards the goal.
The fact that the media keep questioning why teams "allow" this to happen...have a think and maybe they have plans in place to stop it but do not have the speed in their key backs to execute it?
Put a man behind the ball on the goal line and another forward is free hence they cannot do this.
Keep talking him down guys, it helps with the Crows chances of keeping him on affordable money.

Yeah laughable really, wasnt his firsr goal a contested mark in which he then took of as the defender was out of position?

Hes a big bloke and rather mobile. He has kicked 43 goals and really hes fone that with work rate.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1257 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Grahaml » Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:27 pm

Yep. He should stop kicking them from the goalsquare and make sure he stays at least 30 metres from goal. Because we all know goals from further out are worth more.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby stan » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:02 am

Grahaml wrote:Yep. He should stop kicking them from the goalsquare and make sure he stays at least 30 metres from goal. Because we all know goals from further out are worth more.

Exactly right. And we all know how accurate players are from the magical 30m mark.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1257 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Stumps » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 am

MW wrote:
Stumps wrote:Hate to say it but find it quite humerous people trying to find the remaining game that is crucial, or most important. Boring but they are all worth 4 points each. If they win all but 1 of them, doesn't matter which one. They will be top 2

No I don't. I agree if you only beat teams ranked 5-18 and got smashed by the top 4 you wouldn't go into the finals with heaps of belief however if you are in the top 4 your a big chance. Crows have already proven their best is good enough (ie v Sydney, first quarter against hawks, beating GWS) they just need to make top 4 and have belief and some luck
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

Postby Stumps » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:43 am

MW wrote:

No I don't. I agree if you only beat teams ranked 5-18 and got smashed by the top 4 you wouldn't go into the finals with heaps of belief however if you are in the top 4 your a big chance. Crows have already proven their best is good enough (ie v Sydney, first quarter against hawks, beating GWS) they just need to make top 4 and have belief and some luck
Stumps....
Stumps
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL