AFL circa 2028

Talk on the national game

AFL circa 2028

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 pm

With Wayne Jackson's comments about the AFL not being serious about a national comp with 10 teams in Melbourne, where do you see the AFL in twenty years time?

Will there be:

20 clubs?

10 clubs still in Melbourne? If not, how many and where will they relocate to?

International venues for home and away games?

Teams in the NT, Tassie?

Umpires full time, or ex players only?

Will players have individual sponsors on their guernseys?

Will players have their names on their guernseys?

Clash jumpers - will that still be on the agenda?

Revised drug code and drug testing?

Flooding?

And will we still be talking on safooty.net about the same old things? More than likely - yes.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Re: AFL circa 2028

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:19 pm

I'm not so sure the AFL will still exist in 2028. Australian Rules will still be played but in what format? I think if the AFL continues to milk money from the economy the way it has been doing, then eventually the seemingly endless flow of money will cease, and maybe private ownership will raise its ugly head once more to bail the clubs out of financial debt. The face of the game could go though a number of major changes over the next 20 years, and footy needs to be careful it doesn't alienate it's life blood ... the supporters.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby the big bang » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:42 pm

i think the only thing that would change, would be the amount of teams and where they are.

with the personal sponsors on the players jumper, i really hope, and don't think that would ever happen.if you look at the worlds richest sporting comps, such as americas NBA, MLB, NFL, NHL and the worlds soccer leagues such as the EPL, they don't even do this.

as for the names on the guernsy's, i really don't think thats such a bad idea.i cant see a single bad thing coming of this.
wuuuzzzzz
the big bang
League - Top 5

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Dog_ger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:56 pm

I will be too old to care... :partyman: :wink: :lol:
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby Aerie » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:57 pm

Interesting to think about...

Looking back 20 years the changes have been huge and with the seeming desire for everything to change so quickly these days, it would be naive to think that the game 20 years down the track won't change just as much.

I would say the biggest changes to the VFL/AFL in the last 20 years has been the footballers and coaches turning full time professional, the introduction of 2 teams in SA and WA to make sure the AFL is dominant over the WAFL and SANFL in these states, the nationalism of the game, the media attention and the loss of Fitzroy.

The biggest change that could happen in 20 years is for the game to go international. Maybe Ireland, South Africa or the Pacific Islands? Perhaps the game can be the biggest code in NSW and Qld - if it is, that will go a long way in ensuring the AFL survives the test of time. Maybe we will see 2 divisions of 12 teams (Gold Coast, Western Sydney, Tasmania, 3rd WA team, 3rd SA team, NT, Canberra, Nth Qld).

The biggest challenges will be keeping the clubs viable and not losing fans to the game through destroying what has made football so great in the past.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 506 times

Postby Mr66 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 pm

Adelaide Hawk wrote:footy needs to be careful it doesn't alienate it's life blood ... the supporters.

Already is with the constant effing around with the games rules..
It has with me.
I have been to one game this year (Melb v Bullies Rd3) and have not even watched a full 1/4 of an AFL game on TV at all.
I saw enough of the game last year to realise what an embarrassment it has become.
I'll stick with the suburban and amateur footy around Melbourne.
If one person does it, it's insanity. If millions do it, it's religion.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au
Mr66
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Psyber » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm

There'll only be Soccer left as "Football".
Kids mothers will have stopped letting them play anything else because of the injury risk and behavioural patterns emerging in the press all the time. :wink:
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby oldfella » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:51 pm

The Australian pot of gold is just about played out.

The AFL is working hard to develop a world game hence all the rule changes that is gradually perverting the real game into the Irish version.

Hopefully there will still be genuine AUSTRALIAN RULES FOOTBALL played in Australia somewhere :(
oldfella
Under 16s

Has liked: 39 times
Been liked: 14 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:37 am

Psyber wrote:There'll only be Soccer left as "Football".
Kids mothers will have stopped letting them play anything else because of the injury risk and behavioural patterns emerging in the press all the time. :wink:

Jeez the mothers only have to look to the biggest league in the World the EPL to see they aint all angels too :roll:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Psyber » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:31 am

heater31 wrote:
Jeez the mothers only have to look to the biggest league in the World the EPL to see they aint all angels too :roll:
Yeah, but most Mums only read the local press, and think in terms of the local league.
It's blokes who would find a sport to watch and something to get drunk on in Burkina Faso.. :wink:

Looking it up to check the spelling of its name I discovered it is probably an appropriate place to choose as an example, too, as the median age there is 17, and median age of death is 50.
I wonder if a 17 year old there is more mature than a 27 year old here...
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Media Park » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 am

We'll see a Tassie side, and an NT side, Gary Ablett the third will dominate for the Cats, and Freo will still not have won a grand final.
Carlton will be full of number one draft picks- and still be shite... nuff said.
Direct quote:
Wedgie wrote:I wear skin tight arseless leather pants, wtf do you wear?
Media Park
Coach

Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Adelaide Hawk » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 am

heater31 wrote:

EPL players don't pin players' arms in and then drive their heads into the turf.
Adelaide Hawk
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed May 03, 2023 6:31 pm

BUMP

Looks like the Tassie team is a go-er but maybe not NT - certainly not by 2028.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby DOC » Wed May 03, 2023 11:36 pm

gadj1976 wrote:With Wayne Jackson's comments about the AFL not being serious about a national comp with 10 teams in Melbourne, where do you see the AFL in twenty years time?

Will there be:

20 clubs? Probably

10 clubs still in Melbourne? If not, how many and where will they relocate to? Yes

International venues for home and away games? No.

Teams in the NT, Tassie? 1/2

Umpires full time, or ex players only? Possibly

Will players have individual sponsors on their guernseys? No

Will players have their names on their guernseys? No

Clash jumpers - will that still be on the agenda? YES

Revised drug code and drug testing? YES

Flooding? 666 but still time for 5 more rule changes yet

And will we still be talking on safooty.net about the same old things? More than likely - yes. CORRECT
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 731 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby carey » Thu May 04, 2023 7:42 am

Crowds in 2028 UK Fan?
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu May 04, 2023 9:02 am

Media Park wrote:We'll see a Tassie side, and an NT side, Gary Ablett the third will dominate for the Cats, and Freo will still not have won a grand final.
Carlton will be full of number one draft picks- and still be shite... nuff said.

40 year old Tom Hawkins still handing off goal assists to the Cats who are still in the top four with Richmond and Hawthorn anchored to the bottom. Fly's Pies win their 43rd comeback game by less than a kick but have now lost 12 one kick finals as the AFL media continue to masturbate furiously over how refreshing Collingwood are for the game. Injuries take a massive spike as the ten umpire system confuses everyone and umps are being knocked over like ninepins, in some instances, useful people are hurt. West Coast finally get rid of their abomination of a theme song and change it to the Benny Hill theme as rusted on coach Adam Simpson racks up his sixth 2-20 season, he narrowly escapes the axe when the members vote 6-3 to retain the embattled coach. Port successfully lobby the VFL for entry into the national reserves comp but spit the dummy and come crawling back to the SANFL when they aren't allowed to wear the Prison bars by Collingwood. A plucky Adelaide finish 7th after dropping a home final to the Tasmania Devils but after posting a record profit, the season is deemed a success by the Chardonnay quaffing backslapping suits in the boardroom.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Board index   Football  AFL