Deathnell sounds for current kick in rule.....

Talk on the national game

Deathnell sounds for current kick in rule.....

Postby am Bays » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:18 am

Well this has sounded a death nell for the current kick in rule, nothing surer than a rule change given that it "appears" to advantage the Crows. As someone who lives in Victoria, I can fully expect the Victorian media to jump on this admission.......

Quick AFL kick-ins best for Crows: Bode
June 26, 2006 - 6:29PM

Adelaide goal sneak Matthew Bode says the AFL's hotly-debated rule changes to kick-ins after behinds has allowed the Crows to maximise their fitness advantage over the opposition.

Adelaide is arguably the most accomplished team in the league regarding kick-ins, both in terms of launching them from the defence and defending them in the forward line.

Bode said rule changes to allow immediate kick-ins, robbing players of a time-honoured opportunity to catch a few breaths, had worked encouragingly in the Crows' favour.

Asked if the new rule had made life more difficult for the team, Bode said: "No, I think we're a pretty fit team and it's good for us because all the boys can handle it.

"It's certainly provided a different aspect to the game ... it's good to get the ball in as quick as possible, for us it's good because we're a pretty attacking team, so it's good to get the ball on."

At the attacking end of the ground, Bode also felt sure the Adelaide forwards were dealing better with absorbing rapid kicks from opposing clubs, and preventing them from firing into attack with the speed so crucial to successful forward entries.

"Definitely, you've got to be on your guard, that's where I think we've been pretty reasonable because our communication is pretty good in that area," he said.

"If you switch off for a couple of seconds you know the ball will shoot straight out."

The Crows face Geelong at AAMI Stadium this weekend, in a repeat fixture of the pre-season cup final, won memorably by the Cats.

Bode said better on-field talk had been a key area in which Adelaide's players had improved since they lost that game.

The Crows have only lost twice since to sit on top of the league ladder after 12 rounds, while the Cats have ridden a rollercoaster to be a game outside the top eight in 11th place.

"I'd like to think our feedback on the ground has been important, people like Trent Hentschel and Ken McGregor up in the forward line are really controlling the boys up there," he said.

"I'd like to think our four quarters efforts are improving too."
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Board index   Football  AFL