Power Captaincy decided

Talk on the national game

Power Captaincy decided

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Port Adelaide has confirmed Warren Tredrea is the club's new captain.

He succeeds Matthew Primus, skipper for the past five seasons but now retired after having been restricted to 74 of a possible 123 regular-season matches during that time, mainly because of three knee reconstructions.

Vice-captain Tredrea led Port to its AFL grand final triumph in 2004.

Tredrea, 27 on December 24, has played 179 AFL matches since his debut in round two of 1997, his only appearance in the first of the Power's nine seasons in the AFL.

He was one of only six players to appear in all 24 matches this year. Domenic Cassisi, Kane Cornes, Stuart Dew, Brendon Lade and Darryl Wakelin were the others.

Centre half-forward Tredrea won his third John Cahill Medal as Port's best-and-fairest player this year, pipping midfielder Kane Cornes by only three votes - 176 to 173.

It was Tredrea's sixth top-two finish in the past seven years, including the past five in a row. He also was Port's best-and-fairest winner in 2001 and 2004 and was runner-up in 1999, 2002 and 2003.

Tredrea took more marks (220) than any other player in the AFL this year and his 65 goals (four or more in eight matches) lifted his tally to 409 in his 179 matches.

He has been Port's leading goalkicker in seven of the past eight seasons. He was second to Dew - 49 to 51 - in 2002.

Tredrea was considered unlucky to miss All-Australian selection this year after four successive years in the AFL's Team of the Year - an honour that went to Kane Cornes, 22, for the first time.

Tredrea is only the third player to be appointed Port's captain (in the AFL). Gavin Wanganeen had the job for the first four years (1997-2000) before Primus's five-year reign.

And in keeping with the club's policy, he will wear the no.1 jumper rather than his famous no.16.

Michael Wilson, Chad Cornes and Brendon Lade will be the joint vice-captains.
Is 2009 the year of the Tiger?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Lock

Postby TigerBoss » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:21 pm

Can't believe a Glenelg player, and son of a Glenelg great, could one day Captain THAT scum. :evil:
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dog_ger » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:35 pm

The perfect choice. And Good for him to wear the number 1.
Smile :)

It's only Money $$$ :)

What is happening to our SANFL guys...
Dog_ger
Coach

Been liked: 19 times

Postby stan » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:50 pm

Yeah Scum here Scum there you just cant get rid of it these days.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby SBR » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:42 pm

Fair enough, would have done the same.

Too bad he's a wharfie, great player.
SBR
Under 16s

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:46 am

I would think most footy fans would have Tredrea in their top 5 players in the land,when Carey was at his peak it was always suggested the CHF is the hardest position to play in,but,I feel a good CHF is more damaging than any other position can possibly be.

Well done to the big lad with no shoulders.

Also,the V/C's,Wilson a great choice,on of those hard working club men,Lade obviously a quality player with a lot of heart and Chad Cornes,an absolute star,and even if he and his father played for the Bays,he is Port Adelaide now.
(And his old man has trouble hating us now too!)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:34 pm

This thread is 5hit. Tredrea is a big headed wanker who thinks he is a good as Wayne Carey (who is he kidding) and Cornes is a sook who I hate even more than I hated his old man and that is saying something. Lade is a dead set plodder, a passenger who only looks half reasonable because Port have had so many good big men over the last few years. But as much as I hate the Poower, Wilson is a dead set goer and is an admirable footballer who is gutsy as.

Who cares who captains this mob of has beens? Port will make the eight next season but the top four will be a destination of past daydreams. They had an excellent list for five years but had the misfortune to be put into the shade by the Lions who were simply better. Losing home finals to the likes of Hawthorn, Sydney and Collingwood probably cost them at least one flag.

All of this congrats stuff..what a load of cobblers. Port suck and I can't wait for when the Cats defeat them next season. Maybe if we get five goals in front Choke-O will shit himself like he did when he put on the super flood against the Cows in that final last year. Congrats bigead. Captain of a sinking ship.....glug glug glug...DOWN YOU GO!!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby TigerBoss » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:41 pm

No disagreements from me...

I think my views about Port and Tredders are no secret...if they were on fire, I wouldn't even p1ss on them.
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:30 pm

LOL ... The eternal Port Adelaide hatred is alive and well!!

From an unbiased perspective (sorry REB, we're both Legs men, don't get too disconcerted with this) ... Tredrea is without doubt in the Top 5 AFL players imho, he's just an out and out superstar and Port would struggle without him (as Essendon do without Hird), and I have a strong feeling he's still capable of displaying more dominance than we've already seen from him!

Cornes is a fantastic player, great in the air, reads the play superbly, has size and pace for a bigger bloke .. His only downside is the sacrifice of manning up in order to create the rebound and drive he does ... Wakelin covered for much of this last season but when he hangs the boots up I doubt the Power can afford such a luxury!

Lade, well I truly take my hat off to him .. After the injury setbacks he has endured I for one thought he was gone at this level, but he has been fantastic .. To the point where I am surprised by just how dominant he can be, even away from the forward line .. With Cox and Darcy has perhaps the best disposal of the big men in the comp!

And then there's Michael Wilson ... Anyone who's enjoyed the efforts of blokes like Mcintosh and Salisburyr etc over the years MUST admire the way this bloke plays his footy, when you weigh up the injuries he's both experienced and plays with on a regular basis, surely he's up there with Archer in the tough guy stakes!!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:14 am

* sigh *
How good to read a post where an individual can let go of any ill-feeling and just appreciate an opponent for his brilliance,without the ridiculous effect of the jumper the player wears getting in the way.

It puzzles me when people only give a crap about their team,they must dream of a 1 team comp where they can win it every year,and,they must hate the fact there is a comp that covers the land,then they have to wait 50 odd years to win one! LOL....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:23 am

Come on Boon. Without the fierce rivalry you HAVE your one team comp.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:44 am

I know,but surely you can appreciate one of the stars of the comp for what he is?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:45 am

Yes TB, that'll do. :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby TigerBoss » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:31 pm

Tredrea is a gun, there's no secrets there...but his teammates think he's a kn0b...Top 5 in the AFL...granted.

Lade and Cornes are handy players...but like all overrated hacks, they tend to go missing when the team goes through a rut and are shining when the team is doing well. That's NOT my epitomy of class footballers.

As for Wilson, I reakon I'd love to have his sort in my side, but as a supporter of another club, Wilson OFTEN goes beyond the borderline of tough, hard footy to do some rather gutless acts on his direct opponent...what sh1ts me more is that he gets away with it...

Don't get me started on the Burgoynes, Pickett (though no longer), Francou, Wankaneen, Primus and co...

Perhaps the only players I do like in the Power side, if it's at all possible are Stuey Dew, Cornes bros (though pains me to see them running around in Port gear), and Wakelin.

Is that objective enough for you Booney?
TigerBoss
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Wed Nov 16, 2005 1:22 pm

Shaun Burgoyne has the potential (dirty word I know, but oozes class and pace, exquisite skills and plays tall with good hands) to be Top 10 imho ... That said, a few players do and whether they ever progress to that level is another matter entirely!
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magpiespower » Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:15 am

TigerBoss wrote:Can't believe a Glenelg player, and son of a Glenelg great, could one day Captain THAT scum. :evil:

Great PORT ADELAIDE players, those Cornes boys.

:D

CP, agreed on Junior Burger. I think 2006, when he'll surely spend more time on the ball, might be his breakout year.
Magpiespower
Coach

Been liked: 125 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby dinglinga » Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:08 am

good to see Norwood supporters still resent Port Adelaide. Must hurt that Norwood will NEVER make the AFL.
Must hurt to see them lose 2 out of 3 weeks. Must hurt your administraton is a shambles.

Suppose when given the oppurtunity of gaining entry into the VFL back in 84-85 never went through. ( thats right you also tried going through the back door)

As a current port player said to Brett James "you obvouisly wouldnt know what success is and the tradition this club has""

yes our supporters are different

maybe we might find that Norwood will merge sooon ... and will be call "Payneham-Norwood "
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Postby The_Bay_Boy » Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:58 pm

i can't get enough of reading how much people hate port.

I think it's great. There should be more bagging of those wharfie scum bags

But i'm surprised that not many port supporters have posted a reply to stand up for their team
.....But then i remembered, they don't own computers out at the port, and even if they do, they don't know how to turn them on :D
The_Bay_Boy
Rookie

Postby Gilly » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:54 pm

The_Bay_Boy wrote:.....But then i remembered, they don't own computers out at the port, and even if they do, they don't know how to turn them on :D

Bay Boy, they do own computers, it's just that they are sitting in Cash Converters until their dole cheques come through and those that don't own them "acquire" them.........
Gilly
Rookie

Postby dinglinga » Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:58 pm

no u dont see many port supporters here today .... maybe they have a life on weekends
they dont sit in front of their computer screens.. maybe were down at the new marina in port adelaide were even u bay ppl
want to live now.

sittin down havin a beer or two talkin about our clubs success... bay boy would u talk to ur mates about 90,92,94 suppose u couldnt talk about post 2000 maybe wooden spoons would be ur speciality. maybe what would hurt is to relise even chris mcdermott has port blood in him
dinglinga
League - Best 21

Next

Board index   Football  AFL