Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

by The Sleeping Giant » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:33 pm

whufc wrote:
Isnt it great when you hear a club legend speak about his old club with such pride.

Wouldn't that be his original Tassie club?
whufc wrote:

I loved it earlier in the year when Ian Callinan was asked "Would you give up your 4 SANFL premierships with Centrals to win 1 AFL premiership" ANSWER- NO!!!!!

Not sure why you can't have both
Cannabis is safer than alcohol
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

Has liked: 69 times
Been liked: 193 times

by Hondo » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 pm

Exactly

What a stupid question

Question should have been "do you want an AFL premiership" given he already has the SANFL ones. I am sure he'd give an answer just as resounding!
In between signatures .....
Hondo
Coach

Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 32 times

by whufc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:59 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:
whufc wrote:
Isnt it great when you hear a club legend speak about his old club with such pride.

Wouldn't that be his original Tassie club?
whufc wrote:

I loved it earlier in the year when Ian Callinan was asked "Would you give up your 4 SANFL premierships with Centrals to win 1 AFL premiership" ANSWER- NO!!!!!

Not sure why you can't have both

He use to play for a club in Tasmania, he use to play for Central i would say that would mean he has two OLD clubs.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5609 times
Been liked: 2538 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

by story of my life » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:04 am

Hondo wrote:Exactly

What a stupid question

Question should have been "do you want an AFL premiership" given he already has the SANFL ones. I am sure he'd give an answer just as resounding!

Who was the idiot journo that asked that question :roll: . Name and Shame
story of my life
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

by beef » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:15 am

Adam Goodes episode was average last night i thought. Bit about Mcveigh was good but spent way too long talking about rascist comments from other people and not enough actually about goodes. I know its important but every interview with any aboriginal player they talk about it too much, surely talk about his good 300 games and not just negative comments.
beef
League - Best 21

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 255 times

by Interceptor » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 am

beef wrote:Adam Goodes episode was average last night i thought. Bit about Mcveigh was good but spent way too long talking about rascist comments from other people and not enough actually about goodes. I know its important but every interview with any aboriginal player they talk about it too much, surely talk about his good 300 games and not just negative comments.

It's typical of Sheahan to do the controversial topics to death at the expense of other material.
It's time for him to give it away.
Interceptor
League - Top 5

Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 24 times

by Leaping Lindner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:04 pm

McAlmanac wrote:
dedja wrote:The latest episode with Blighty is worth a look ...

* Mike tries coaxing Blighty into naming any regrets. Blighty fobs him off with some answers then suddenly leans forward. *

“But hang on. I played for Woodville. That was my boyhood dream. Woodville and Adelaide – they’re my teams”. Absolute gold for old Woodville supporters. :D

Also excellent was the way he emphasised to Mike how great the SANFL was back in the day. Sheahan looks a bit puzzled, especially at the reference that we paid little attention to the VFL.

Other great bits:
    The “pathetic effort from Pittman” clip.
    The rant with Stephen Quartermain.
    The black and white clips, particularly the goals at the Western Oval – one particular screw punt goes as high as the famous Princes Park one.

Good enough AFL commetator Sheahan ,but he doesn't get the value of the WAFL and the SANFL .
Case in point. When discussing Riccutio's approaching 300th game .....

Sheahan - "He's probably the best South Australian player ever."
Walls - "No. That's Barrie Robran."
Sheahan - "But he never played VFL."
Walls - "Doesn't matter. He's still the best."
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

by GWW » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:15 pm

Walls said that?

Gosh, my rating of him as a football commentator has just gone up - from 0 out of 10, to 1 or 2 out of 10.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

by CUTTERMAN » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:35 pm

I like Robert Walls, while he may be like a dog with a bone for a while with some clubs I think he has a good overall appreciation of footy in a general sense, not just a Victorian one, he also doesn't try to act like some sort of entertainment act such as Brian Taylor.
'PAFC don't want any advantages in the SANFL. It would only take away from any achievements we earned.'
Keith Thomas ABC 891 Radio, 21/6/14.
CUTTERMAN
League - Top 5

Has liked: 213 times
Been liked: 124 times

by Gozu » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:05 pm

Yeah he comes across as a bit of a knob sometimes and don't care much for his calls during games but I've always liked what Walls has to say on footy panel type shows. He used to be really good value on On The Couch until he bolted to Ten for the short lived One Week At A Time on One HD.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

by Rik E Boy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:07 pm

beef wrote:Adam Goodes episode was average last night i thought. Bit about Mcveigh was good but spent way too long talking about rascist comments from other people and not enough actually about goodes. I know its important but every interview with any aboriginal player they talk about it too much, surely talk about his good 300 games and not just negative comments.

That's because it's all about education and if you copped it all your life you are going to take advantage to do a bit of educating. I thought it was not a bad show and Goodes came across as a pretty good bloke. Much better than the Peter Moore one I saw recently.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

by The Sleeping Giant » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Agreed reb. Peter Moore one was bland. Mark Riccuoto's was the stereotypical football one.
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

by Rik E Boy » Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:22 pm

The Sleeping Giant wrote:Agreed reb. Peter Moore one was bland. Mark Riccuoto's was the stereotypical football one.

Didn't see the Roo one but not a fan so won't bother.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

by The Sleeping Giant » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:11 pm

Went a bit like "Yeah I hit some blokes."
The Sleeping Giant
Coach

by Sky Pilot » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:44 pm

Sheahan is way past his use-by date and I believe he is doing this series for the same reasons the other world famous drop kick KG Cunningham tried/tries to hang onto his fame and reputation and (thankfully) fast diminishing media presence. Ego and the need to top up their ever diminishing retirement funds. They should just get out of the way and let some young blokes who have a bit of relevance jump in and shake the tree a bit. Despite two Brownlow medals I have always thought Goodes was an A grade tool. No argument he can play the game though.
People who bought this book also bought a stool and some rope. Unknown literary critic
Sky Pilot
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: BMW

by GWW » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:19 pm

Silvagni on tonight.

Was apparently good friends with Craig Bradley, but not overly close to Kernahan (although didn't actually have a falling out).

Mentioning a little about the salary cap rorting.
GWW

by dedja » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:21 pm

John Elliott wasn't his best mate either ... :lol:
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
dedja
Coach

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 1017 times

by GWW » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 pm

Not sure John would have many friends at all, at least at Carlton anyway :)
GWW

by Lightning McQueen » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:19 am

Sky Pilot wrote:Sheahan is way past his use-by date and I believe he is doing this series for the same reasons the other world famous drop kick KG Cunningham tried/tries to hang onto his fame and reputation and (thankfully) fast diminishing media presence. Ego and the need to top up their ever diminishing retirement funds. They should just get out of the way and let some young blokes who have a bit of relevance jump in and shake the tree a bit. Despite two Brownlow medals I have always thought Goodes was an A grade tool. No argument he can play the game though.

I think the opposite, I never liked Sheehan but since "Open Mike" I've grown to like him, he seems to be held in high esteem in the AFL circles and isn't afraid to ask the hard hitting questions.
I enjoyed SOS's interview last night although he remained very coy when he had to answer things that he didn't want to elaborate on.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7941 times

by CoverKing » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:33 am

LM I think the main reason for that is cause he is involved in the game still and at another AFL club. It would be good to get those not involved in the game anymore so they can answer everything honestly and hopefully give a greater insight
I Want to be a Western Youth Ranger!
CoverKing
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Flinders Park

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL