Open Mike

Talk on the national game

Re: Open Mike

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:12 am

It was a good ep. I watched it at work yesterday, for work.
There wasn't too much in there I haven't hear before, but I could listen to tales of that Hawthorn era forever. I loved Dermie as a kid, so to hear the Dean Chiron story again is gold. Who wouldn't have wanted Dermie in your side?
The concussion conversation was interesting - Rat talked about how he has questions and concerns, not that it's impacting his life dramatically.
Those comments make sense to me in relation to his and his family's response at the time the story came out. He's not in the Greg Williams category, which is how the headlines at the time made it appear. Slightly different context.

I still love the Rat. He was my hero as a kid for a reason and he still is. Always friendly and approachable. Modest. Funny.
In my last season of footy, I played in the same side as his son and he came to watch a couple of games. Even at 36, that made me nervous. lol
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

Was great to hear how often he referenced Central and how desperately he wanted to win that first flag for them .. He was a bonafide AFL/VFL legend in his own right, so could have been forgiven for being all about the Hawks, but that clearly isn't the case. Mike would have hated that lol - He gives zero credence to the leagues outside of Melbourne.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:36 am

He coached Freeling for a couple of years when i was playing. Even though I was only a B grade hack you still felt he had time for you.

Wasnt a great coach to be honest - wanted you to do everything at half pace and get the skills right which is almost the complete opposite of how most coaches tell you to do it. Seemed to be one of those blokes that wasnt quite sure why he was so good and didnt quite know how to communicate his talents.

The bit about not remembering names etc is interesting - everyone was "big fella" haha. Maybe thats part of it.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:50 am

bennymacca wrote: Seemed to be one of those blokes that wasnt quite sure why he was so good and didnt quite know how to communicate his talents.

I think this is a common trait among those who are supremely talented (sport or otherwise). I think it explains to a degree in a footy context why the greatest players don't often make the greatest coaches.

Sounds like a great episode, I'm keen to check it out. Platten was one of the greats from the goldmine of champions SA produced in the early to mid 1980s.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm

bennymacca wrote:He coached Freeling for a couple of years when i was playing. Even though I was only a B grade hack you still felt he had time for you.

Wasnt a great coach to be honest - wanted you to do everything at half pace and get the skills right which is almost the complete opposite of how most coaches tell you to do it. Seemed to be one of those blokes that wasnt quite sure why he was so good and didnt quite know how to communicate his talents.

The bit about not remembering names etc is interesting - everyone was "big fella" haha. Maybe thats part of it.

I have heard he wasn't a solid coach.
His success was built on hard work, so it's unusual he didn't know how to communicate that. I think that's down to his modesty.
Again, the 'half pace' thing is unusual too, as you watch him play and he never did anything half paced, he was a bundle of energy.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:He coached Freeling for a couple of years when i was playing. Even though I was only a B grade hack you still felt he had time for you.

His success was built on hard work, so it's unusual he didn't know how to communicate that. I think that's down to his modesty.
Again, the 'half pace' thing is unusual too, as you watch him play and he never did anything half paced, he was a bundle of energy.

A lot of champions don't make great coaches. Some struggle impart what came naturally to those that are less gifted. From Tim Watson, James Hird, Michael Voss to cricket's Greg Chappell. Maybe bucks too. Buckley had that insane desire to improve and was very focused so he might have struggled with the 'bad boy' element that wanted to play footy at the highest level and have a bit of fun too.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby tigerpie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:47 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:Excellent episode.

He was an absolute gun. You can throw a blanket over the top 5 SA footballers from 84-94 and then another blanket over the next 12-13. That SA side was one of the best football teams I have ever seen and the way they played together spiratically was unreal. Any representative team that smashes Victoria and WA away is a phenomenal team

I agree. We were blessed with great players and a great coach in that era of soo games.
Platts saved his best for the big games. Out and out star.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:43 pm

Barrie Robran is the greatest example of someone who was a champion but struggled as a coach.

Ken Farmer on the other hand was brilliant.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby mighty hounds » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:41 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

I've heard this as well from someone who played under him at Freeling
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:06 am

Wedgie wrote:Barrie Robran is the greatest example of someone who was a champion but struggled as a coach.

Correct, although I'm not sure how much of Robran's coaching performance was based on a lack of playing personnel at the time? How do those who played under him rate him as a coach?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 am

mighty hounds wrote:
I've heard this as well from someone who played under him at Freeling

Was still great for the club though. A lot more people used to come to the games, especially at the start. And one of the nicest blokes you will meet
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:38 am

Magellan wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Barrie Robran is the greatest example of someone who was a champion but struggled as a coach.

Correct, although I'm not sure how much of Robran's coaching performance was based on a lack of playing personnel at the time? How do those who played under him rate him as a coach?

Probably with score cards.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:40 am

Looks like LM is in a punny mood today haha
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:43 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I was going to ask 'how does Robran measure himself against other coaches?', but the answer is obviously 'his height.'
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:44 am

Magellan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Magellan wrote:

I was going to ask 'how does Robran measure himself against other coaches?', but the answer is obviously 'his height.'

There are other "measures" of a man
bennymacca
Coach

Postby MatteeG » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:58 am

Rik E Boy wrote:A lot of champions don't make great coaches. Some struggle impart what came naturally to those that are less gifted. From Tim Watson, James Hird, Michael Voss to cricket's Greg Chappell. Maybe bucks too. Buckley had that insane desire to improve and was very focused so he might have struggled with the 'bad boy' element that wanted to play footy at the highest level and have a bit of fun too.

regards,

REB

Why I think Bucks would be a superb assistant coach- I feel he works well with elites but struggles with the development side. Give him a half decent midfield to run and I reckon you'd benefit no end.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:08 am

bennymacca wrote:Looks like LM is in a punny mood today haha

I got owned on another thread by @Spargo
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:04 pm

SA's two greats, Robran and Ebert both struggled in charge.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:32 pm

Booney wrote:

Russell nearly got a flag. Maybe if you didn't try to run around knocking out Aishy all day you might have won that one. Sucked in a bit that day.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:59 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Russell nearly got a flag. Maybe if you didn't try to run around knocking out Aishy all day you might have won that one. Sucked in a bit that day.

regards,

REB

Now, come on, who wouldn't?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL