Port Power's Loss

Talk on the national game

Port Power's Loss

Postby Wedgie » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:54 pm

Can someone explain to me how Port Power makes a huge loss despite making the finals again when teams like Geelong make 1.6 million?
Hell even North Adelaide made half a million last year.
Looks like the SANFL stuffed up in giving Port a gig in the AFL, with former members of the Cartel making shitloads in the SANFL could you imagine the cash they could have generated in the AFL?
Some people say its because of what they owe on their license and what they pay the SANFL, but even if you take that into account the Cats would have made about 1 million and that includes paying off a new grandstand which Port wouldn't have to do!
Either some complete mismanagement, some hiding of money or a bad mistake. Not sure which.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3893 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:41 pm

Hmmmm im going to lock in A thanks Eddie.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Port Power's Loss

Postby Ian » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:58 pm

A. some complete mismanagement, (probably)
B. some hiding of money (mmm, don't want to make unsubstantiated allegations)
C. bad mistake. (Yep)
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby The_Bay_Boy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:30 am

Wedgie,

Would it be possible that if port keeps running on a loss that they may be forced to merge or maybe even re-locate???

Please say yes that is possible???

i know darwin desperatly need a team!!!! :D
The_Bay_Boy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:18 am

As a member I for one would be interested to find out more about the Foundation that Port Adelaide set up when we went into the AFL,I think it was a means to keep funds "hidden" as such.Obviously a cunning move,for I dont believe for one minute we could have made that big a loss this year.As the 'Tiser said yesterday the payout of the final year of Matty Primus' contract will cost about $300,000,the license fee for this year was another $500,000,I think.That's $800k,where did we drop the other $800k?,I know it isnt at Footy Park,I go every week and there is never enough people there to pick it all up! Membership must have been up following a flag,season tickets would have been about the same,(see reference to crowds),merchandise would have gone up over the X-mas season last year with memorabilia,a bit of it in my bar,and player payments are never an excuse,every one has to do it every year,they are forecast.So where are the variables?

I will be at the AGm in a few weeks to listen to the explanations.If we get any.....

P.S- Maybe Geelong made the money by paying Brad Ottens on a performance based contract.Would have saved them thousands! :wink:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:26 am

Leave him alone. All of you!

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 23, 2005 1:45 pm

Lets see, they have the most heavily subsided tickets in the league and they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for players that either a) are constantly injured and b) are overrated/have attitude problems/like to go joyriding...

hey, if i didnt mention the ticket thing, i could be talking about the crows... but you get the general idea, Pickett and Primus have done bugger all for the club in the past couple of years, yet were being paid the most.. Now that theyre gone, they'll make a packet
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:39 pm

Falcon Chick wrote:Lets see, they have the most heavily subsided tickets in the league and they pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for players that either a) are constantly injured and b) are overrated/have attitude problems/like to go joyriding...

hey, if i didnt mention the ticket thing, i could be talking about the crows... but you get the general idea, Pickett and Primus have done bugger all for the club in the past couple of years, yet were being paid the most.. Now that theyre gone, they'll make a packet

Sorry to sound a little sarcastic Falconchick,but,have you heard that Primus has had 2 knee re-cons?,and I think most clubs would stick by their skipper when he is injured,not his fault.

Sorry to sound a little sarcastic Falconchick,but did you see Byron Pickett win the B.O.G during the Grand final some 15 months ago?,I think most clubs would give their Norm Smith medallist from the year before one more go,dont you?

Finally,where can I get a subsided ticket?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:03 pm

Sorry FC, but I gotta side with Mills'n on this one ... Sure Primus and Pickett had very little (if any) positive influence last season, however it's the benefit of hindsight that the Power naturally wouldn't have been privy too before the season commenced ... Surely there's no way they could foresee a) Primus injury setback and b) A new tribunal system in place which (in my mind at least) destroyed any chance Pickett had at a reasonable season ... To the clubs credit, they have moved on both and neither will feature in future onfield plans ..

I think their season was marred by other injuries and suspensions, including S. Burgoyne, C. Cornes and Brogan whilst the season was in it's infancy, Roger James continual knee problems - which when compounded with the loss of Carr left a massive hole in the clearances, Michael Wilsons absences throughout the year etc, etc.

And no, I'm not a Power supporter, but think sometimes things aren't as simple as they might appear to us armchair critics .. If I were, the most pressing concerns I would have would centre around Wanganeen who really looked a shadow of his former self for most of the year (granted he's a champion and that could change markedly this year), the age of Wakelin and the age and performance of Bishop ... I think Montgomery will be missed throughout the year, but stand by their call in that the quicker he's not there, the quicker they are able to develop a long term replacement ..
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Booney,They did alot better without Primus didnt they?

Byron Picket is sooo good he thought he shouldnt have been paid any less after playing in the magpies for half the season.

Guess i'm just trying to say that players (in general) should be on a base salary only when injured long term and this should be claused in contracts.

Another reason the PEWR have no money is because they cant even half fill a stadium most of the time, as mentioned in previous posts,even though they have the 3rd cheapest tickets in the league (behind Freo and Sydney I believe).

Try and buy a crows season ticket my friend (oops...you cant theyre always sold out) then you'll see the price difference between the two.

By no means was my intention to verbally attack any players playing ability or imply what they should be worth (except Pickett, dont like him) but i'll never pass up an opportunity to get up Power supporters, its so easy to do......

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:45 pm

Of course it is easy to do when you make ridiculous statements.

Granted,our performances without Primus were (at times) acceptable,but saying that,there is absolutely no doubt we would be a much better outfit with a fit and firing Primus on board,and with out the stupid ruck rule changes made 3 years ago which significantly impacted on his ability to dominate a game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:07 pm

Once again, not denying the mans' ability to play the game when fit (but the fact is, he's not..) The whole point of the conversation was coming up for reasons why port arent making money . I merely forwarded my opinion as to some of those reasons.

Footy Chick

Postby Macca19 » Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:39 pm

Its the first loss weve made in about 3 or so years after making pretty substantial profits the last 2-3 seasons. Yet some people are treating like weve lost $3.4 Million and are on our last legs.

They havent even released the figure yet...its supposed to be about $200k or so. We have a $500k extraordinary payment that no other AFL club has which finishes next year. We also had to pay off Primus' contract (about 300k). Our debts are almost clear as well. When we start losing close to a million dollars year after year like some clubs then ill start to worry.

I also think its unrealistic to compare an SANFL clubs figures to that of an AFL club.
Macca19
League - Best 21

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Postby Punk Rooster » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:50 am

Booney wrote:As the 'Tiser said yesterday the payout of the final year of Matty Primus' contract will cost about $300,000,the license fee for this year was another $500,000,I think.That's $800k,where did we drop the other $800k?

Replacing Choppy's car, his Bail & Out of Court Settlements? :wink: (Allegedly...)
Ralph Wiggum wrote:That's where I saw the leprechaun. He told me to burn things

Ken Farmer>John Coleman

Hindmarsh Pest Control
Punk Rooster
Coach

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 16 times
Grassroots Team: Fitzroy

Postby RoostersRuleTheWorld ! » Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:11 am

:evil: Their always hiding money !
So they dont have to pay the profits back to the sanfl clubs
like the CROWS do !
This happens every year.
Think the Crows should start doing this too !
RoostersRuleTheWorld !
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Board index   Football  AFL