Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2015

Postby JK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:44 am

No disrespect intended to a couple of champion blokes, but guys like Rowey and Duigs probably shouldn't be in an AFL clubs best 20 players. The fact they were options for Captaincy or Vice-Captaincy says a lot about where the Blues are at (and have been recently).
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:30 am

Mick will turn it around........
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3583 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:46 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Mick will turn it around........

No he won't, not when he says nobody wants to come here and we're a middle to bottom club. Middle....yeah right! :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby westcoastpanther » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:02 pm

Jim05 wrote:That Judd trade looking better each week, still cant fathom how the list management team at Carlton deemed Kennedy as surplus to their needs. They have a ton of small mids from their high picks yet no key forwards or backs. Watch them target Dangerfield at seasons end lol

Danger wants a flag contender, he won't be going to Carlton. The better the Crows look, the more likely he might stay....
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:05 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:
Jim05 wrote:That Judd trade looking better each week, still cant fathom how the list management team at Carlton deemed Kennedy as surplus to their needs. They have a ton of small mids from their high picks yet no key forwards or backs. Watch them target Dangerfield at seasons end lol

Danger wants a flag contender, he won't be going to Carlton. The better the Crows look, the more likely he might stay....

If Dangerfields option are Adelaide, Geelong and Collingwood, then it's abundantly clear who from that group has the best chance of on field success in the next 3-5 years. Carlton won't even get a look in.

Then again, if he's after more coin and going home, he's probably at the Cattery next year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:22 pm

F#$k me, even a Carlton thread turns into a Dangerfield leaving topic lol
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:32 pm

MW wrote:F#$k me, even a Carlton thread turns into a Dangerfield leaving topic lol

No thanks and not really.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:57 pm

JK wrote:No disrespect intended to a couple of champion blokes, but guys like Rowey and Duigs probably shouldn't be in an AFL clubs best 20 players. The fact they were options for Captaincy or Vice-Captaincy says a lot about where the Blues are at (and have been recently).

Agreed. That Rowe is our No 1 tall in defence is reason enough to be concerned. Don't get me wrong, good player but he's a forward being turned into a defender.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby MW » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:04 pm

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:F#$k me, even a Carlton thread turns into a Dangerfield leaving topic lol

No thanks and not really.

Not really? Read the last few posts!
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:07 pm

First thing I would do at Carlton is drop Chris Yarran for good. Never a bigger downhill skiier in the history of the game.
MW
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:36 pm

MW wrote:First thing I would do at Carlton is drop Chris Yarran for good. Never a bigger downhill skiier in the history of the game.

Possibly correct there but who would be knocking on the door to replace him?
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby MW » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:38 pm

stan wrote:
MW wrote:First thing I would do at Carlton is drop Chris Yarran for good. Never a bigger downhill skiier in the history of the game.

That's an even bigger issue!
I would rather see a kid who is desperate for a go try and fail then watch Yarran coasting around all the time and only running hard when there is a chance he will score a goal
MW
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:54 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
JK wrote:No disrespect intended to a couple of champion blokes, but guys like Rowey and Duigs probably shouldn't be in an AFL clubs best 20 players. The fact they were options for Captaincy or Vice-Captaincy says a lot about where the Blues are at (and have been recently).

Agreed. That Rowe is our No 1 tall in defence is reason enough to be concerned. Don't get me wrong, good player but he's a forward being turned into a defender.

You seem to have had a few over the years that have been handy at times forward and back, but haven't clearly stamped themself as one or the other. Even Henderson to a degree (although you'd ideally like 2 of him, 1 for each half of the ground). Watson seems to be another in the same boat.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:15 pm

MJ_23 wrote:Watson (18) Lucas (12) Yarran (6) Bootsma (22) Menzel (11) are all first rounders. 2 aren't at the club anymore, 1 doesn't know what position he plays, 1 was on the trading block not long ago and Menzel looks like he will be a good player.

forget about recruiting or letting your older blokes go, this is what kills you. with the exception of menzel none of them even look like becoming a match winner. yarran is a good footballer but doesnt look like someone who should have gone at 6 either.

Booney wrote:If Dangerfields option are Adelaide, Geelong and Collingwood, then it's abundantly clear who from that group has the best chance of on field success in the next 3-5 years. Carlton won't even get a look in.

Then again, if he's after more coin and going home, he's probably at the Cattery next year.

Hawthorn worries me the most
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:43 pm

MW wrote:
stan wrote:

That's an even bigger issue!
I would rather see a kid who is desperate for a go try and fail then watch Yarran coasting around all the time and only running hard when there is a chance he will score a goal

Yarran is the least of our problems. He's also being played out of position and gets dragged to the goalsquare by opposition coaches which highlights his inefficiencies.

Ideally, he's a wingman at worst. I mean that he shouldn't be played in the back half of the ground. Our team would be much better with either he or Walker carrying the ball from half back, but Yarran is just not a defender.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 pm

bennymacca wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:Watson (18) Lucas (12) Yarran (6) Bootsma (22) Menzel (11) are all first rounders. 2 aren't at the club anymore, 1 doesn't know what position he plays, 1 was on the trading block not long ago and Menzel looks like he will be a good player.

forget about recruiting or letting your older blokes go, this is what kills you. with the exception of menzel none of them even look like becoming a match winner. yarran is a good footballer but doesnt look like someone who should have gone at 6 either.

Booney wrote:If Dangerfields option are Adelaide, Geelong and Collingwood, then it's abundantly clear who from that group has the best chance of on field success in the next 3-5 years. Carlton won't even get a look in.

Hawthorn worries me the most

They might have a retirement at the end of the year in the midfield which will open up some salary cap space.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Red Rocket » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:45 pm

Marc Murphy says hi, absolute cream puff
Red Rocket
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 72 times
Grassroots Team: Kapunda

Postby thejuddernaught » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:01 pm

Thats a bit of a rubbish statement. Sam Rowe has lifted his game over the last 2 years. Battled testicular cancer and has proved to everyone at the club that he means business and that he wants to be a leader of the club. Rightly so, given honors in the leadership group. As for Duigan, he wasnt a bad footballer, mature aged recruit that they were probably thinking could be a leader to the young kids they were blooding at that time. Was sad to see him retire but i think the AFL regime was getting too much for him. Murphy was always going to take the reigns from Judd. i dont think anyone else was a real chance of captaincy.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Southern Eagles

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:17 pm

thejuddernaught wrote:

Thats a bit of a rubbish statement. Sam Rowe has lifted his game over the last 2 years. Battled testicular cancer and has proved to everyone at the club that he means business and that he wants to be a leader of the club. Rightly so, given honors in the leadership group. As for Duigan, he wasnt a bad footballer, mature aged recruit that they were probably thinking could be a leader to the young kids they were blooding at that time. Was sad to see him retire but i think the AFL regime was getting too much for him. Murphy was always going to take the reigns from Judd. i dont think anyone else was a real chance of captaincy.

You've missed JK's point. Rowe is well deserved of his place in Carlton's leadership group....but, if he was at almost any other club he'd be a fringe player and as such unlikely to be appointed as a club leader. This may not be right or wrong, but I agree with JK's assessment.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby thejuddernaught » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:25 pm

Booney wrote:
thejuddernaught wrote:

You've missed JK's point. Rowe is well deserved of his place in Carlton's leadership group....but, if he was at almost any other club he'd be a fringe player and as such unlikely to be appointed as a club leader. This may not be right or wrong, but I agree with JK's assessment.

If thats what he means then i also agree. Carlton dont have depth. Going to be a very long year.
thejuddernaught
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Southern Eagles

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL