Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton 2015

Postby stan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Turbo wrote:Still don't know who we'd replace him with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ill have a crack mate. I'm doing ok at super coach so I probably couldn't go any worse......[emoji6]
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Turbo wrote:Still don't know who we'd replace him with.

Turbo, really, who cares. And that shouldn't be the issue here. He came in to do a job and has failed to do it. Our game plan is terrible. Our skills are terrible. We've lost a heap of quality players and replaced them with hardly anyone (Jones, Tutt?). He's also 61. By the time he rebuilds us, he'll be 70!

I look at Laidler as one who got away. Malthouse told him to learn to play forward because he doesn't fit our style. How about building a game around guys skills and positions? He's a solid half back. And he now plays for Sydney in that position. But that's not good enough for us apparently!

All other coaches making differences to their clubs are much younger. It's time to get someone who's had some experience but is much younger.

Let Carlton go through the process of selecting someone but FFS, move this old goose on, please.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby stan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

Also you lost Waite as well. Big loss in my opinion when he was on the park.

But previous to that you lost Jacobs, Hampson andLaidler (as you. Mentioned).

Add the fact that Kruzer can't get on the park and it adds up.
stan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 pm

waite garlett and betts would make that forward line look pretty decent.

put a fit and in form thomas and kruezer in there even now and it looks much better
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:57 pm

Could be on my Pat Malone here, but I reckon Brendan McCartney would be worth sounding out as a potential coach.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:09 pm

JK wrote:Could be on my Pat Malone here, but I reckon Brendan McCartney would be worth sounding out as a potential coach.

judging on how luke beveridge has the dogs playing at the moment, i would disagree with that i think
bennymacca
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:20 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:Could be on my Pat Malone here, but I reckon Brendan McCartney would be worth sounding out as a potential coach.

judging on how luke beveridge has the dogs playing at the moment, i would disagree with that i think

You'd question the difference in style of football for sure, but you'd also have to give a degree of credit to BM for the development of some/many of their kids, and thats the path Carlton are going to have to take, load up with youth.

Also think if he had another crack, it would be his last if it ended in failure, and he would know that.

Anyone Ive spoken with that is close to the AFL system has nothing but high praise for him.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:39 pm

bennymacca wrote:waite garlett and betts would make that forward line look pretty decent.

put a fit and in form thomas and kruezer in there even now and it looks much better

Disagree. They were shit when they had them in there.

Brett Ratten anyone?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:53 pm

Well if rather them than jones and tutt!
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:03 pm

bennymacca wrote:

McCartney is brilliant at developing kids but he is terrible on match day. Cant see him getting another head coaching gig
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Turbo » Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:57 pm

Booney wrote:
bennymacca wrote:waite garlett and betts would make that forward line look pretty decent.

Brett Ratten anyone?

The list is the way it is due to the Ratten era

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:14 pm

Booney wrote:

Brett Ratten anyone?

Oh, the guy that took us to within a kick of a prelim, that bloke, yeh, I remember him.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:54 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
Booney wrote:

Brett Ratten anyone?

Oh, the guy that took us to within a kick of a prelim, that bloke, yeh, I remember him.

Why'd you get rid of him? Must have had a big name lined up to give him the arse.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:05 pm

[quote="Booney]
Why'd you get rid of him? Must have had a big name lined up to give him the arse.[/quote]

His last year we were riddled with injury and we went to GC needing to win to keep our finals hopes alive. I think we kicked something like 11.21 to lose and end our hopes.

Malthouse was always waiting in the wings. It was a match made in heaven so the pundits at our club thought. I didn't and never have.

Just checked, we kicked 11.20 in Rd 22 then in the last round lost to St Kilda kicking 12.19. Ratts got sacked with a year to go on his contract after being extended part way through the year.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:23 pm

Before we totally hang Malthouse. Take into consideration that so far Carlton have played Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and St.kilda. West Coast was away and Rich and Ess played finals last season. Sitting 1-3 is probably where you would think they would be at this stage.
stan
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:38 pm

stan wrote:Before we totally hang Malthouse. Take into consideration that so far Carlton have played Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and St.kilda. West Coast was away and Rich and Ess played finals last season. Sitting 1-3 is probably where you would think they would be at this stage.

So you'd expect it to be 1-8 after playing last years top 5, and no doubt there will be other losses in games rated more potentially winnable. Hard to see them compiling anything other than an ordinary at best W/L record.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby stan » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:52 pm

JK wrote:
stan wrote:Before we totally hang Malthouse. Take into consideration that so far Carlton have played Richmond, West Coast, Essendon and St.kilda. West Coast was away and Rich and Ess played finals last season. Sitting 1-3 is probably where you would think they would be at this stage.

So you'd expect it to be 1-8 after playing last years top 5, and no doubt there will be other losses in games rated more potentially winnable. Hard to see them compiling anything other than an ordinary at best W/L record.

Good point.
stan
Coach

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:30 pm

This is my argument though. Our list is where it's at because of Malthouse. We wouldn't be in the position we are if it weren't for him.

Gone from our list since 2012;

Betts - Adelaide
Bootsma - delisted
Bower - delisted
Collins - delisted
Davies - delisted
Duigan - retired
Garlett - Melbourne
Hampson - Richmond
Joseph - delisted
Kerr - delisted
Lucas - delisted
Mitchell - delisted
McCarthy - delisted
McLean - delisted
McInnes - delisted
O'Keeffe - delisted
Robinson - Brisbane
Russell - Collingwood - delisted
Scotland - retired
Thornton - GWS - delisted
Waite - North Melbourne
Rookies;
only Casboult remains

So that's 21 players turned over and we've got worse. We have been in 2012, 2013 and 2014 drafts and not addressed our backline or forwardline deficiencies (in part caused by sending Waite, Garlett and Betts on their way).

The guys we've brought in, Daisy Thomas (which addressed a problem we didn't have). Jones (couldn't make the Bulldogs forward line) and Tutt (ditto).

Yes, our development has been ordinary but isn't that the coach's fault? It certainly seemed to be when everyone else was in charge.

Oh and that doesn't include Laidler who was told his style didn't fit our game. Suits Sydney ok!
gadj1976
Coach

Postby marbles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:36 pm

He has obviously been a great coach, but now at his age I see signs of him being senile

There's an old elderly man at the helm and I'm sure the players love him but in the heat of leadership when the boys need the utmost motivation they all gather around grandpa mick and grab an earful from a man who is far past his prime and likely not too far away from requiring nursing :)

I as a footballer, that's what I would see when I look at my coach at Carlton a shiny old glorified lawn bowls player

And there's barely any super figures in the assistant coaches pack either, all nuffies
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby marbles » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:38 pm

Surely the committee would wanna be chatting with bomber thompson
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 258 times

PreviousNext