Carlton

Talk on the national game

Re: Carlton

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:54 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:So we finished up getting Martin and Newnes for nothing, Betts, Pittonet and then added Kemp, Philp, Ramsay and Honey.

Can't complain!

I was desperate for Port to nab this bloke with our Bergman pick - has all the traits to be an outright star.

My only solace right now, is the fact that Gawn aside (no one else comes to mind), no player who has done an ACL at junior level has gone on to become a star at AFL level.

I thought Joel Selwood did an ACL the year before he was drafted.? He goes ok

na he just had a dodgy knee, wasn't an ACL
Im sure there is one though, cant remember who. Chris Grant?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tiger83 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:14 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
valleys07 wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:So we finished up getting Martin and Newnes for nothing, Betts, Pittonet and then added Kemp, Philp, Ramsay and Honey.

Can't complain!

I was desperate for Port to nab this bloke with our Bergman pick - has all the traits to be an outright star.

My only solace right now, is the fact that Gawn aside (no one else comes to mind), no player who has done an ACL at junior level has gone on to become a star at AFL level.

I thought Joel Selwood did an ACL the year before he was drafted.? He goes ok

na he just had a dodgy knee, wasn't an ACL
Im sure there is one though, cant remember who. Chris Grant?

Ben Rutten did an ACL at u18 level. Pretty handy footballer..
Tiger83
Under 18s

Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby gadj1976 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm

valleys07 wrote:

Can't complain!

Good thought provoking point that one. Max King obviously is the one that may prove you wrong but you're right, more often than not it does limit them to an extent. Mind you, thankfully not all kids have done ACL's either.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:50 am

Carlton chief Cain Liddle defends decision to move on Stephen Silvagni in members’ forum
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
December 10, 2019 8:15am
Subscriber only

Carlton chief executive Cain Liddle insists Stephen Silvagni’s conflict of interest hampered the club’s football department as members continued to vent their displeasure.

Liddle defended the failed recruitment of Richmond ­defender Brandon Ellis, saying the ­entire list management group was aware of Liddle using his links to the former Tiger to lure him to Ikon Park.

The Blues’ hierarchy had gone to ground for five days, refusing to publicly discuss why it parted ways with Silvagni, apart from ­releasing a statement about his conflict of interest over his sons.

Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

­On Monday it finally used a members’ internet forum organised before the Silvagni decision to try to explain.

The anger from members was palpable, some saying they were appalled by Silvagni’s treatment and ­accusing the Blues of effectively sacking the club great.

But Liddle held the line, ­adamant Silvagni excusing himself from list management meetings handcuffed the football department.

He made clear that all list management decisions were robustly discussed among the entire group, despite player agents believing the team was often not on the same page.

Liddle said it was agreed by all in the list management group he would use his links to Ellis, through Richmond, Vic Metro and the Calder Cannons, to lure him across before the club eventually abandoned its pursuit post Round 23.

Liddle said the list management group, chaired by director and club Chris Judd was on the same page with approaches to Tom Papley, Ellis, Josh Deluca and Jack Martin.

“All players who were approached from other clubs as part of our 2019 list management strategy were discussed and rigorously debated over the course of many months at list management,” he said.

“Everyone on list management was very clear of the role I was playing with Brandon.

“We had individual plans in place for each of our target players that were regularly discussed at list management. I was one of Brandon’s coaches both at the Calder Cannons and Vic Metro in the national championships, and I obviously spent a number of years with him at Richmond, so it was agreed that we would leverage that relationship in our discussions with Brandon, who was set to become a free agent.”

But Carlton fans wanting more detail on Silvagni’s departure were left sadly wanting.

“We were completely transparent with the messaging around Stephen's contract not being renewed,” Liddle said.

“To have the club’s most senior list management staff member not take part in key discussions and decisions regarding the playing list and the broader operations of the football department became an increasingly challenging issue that was not in the best interests of the Carlton Football Club.

“The easy decision would have been to let the situation continue which was not seeing the football department running at its optimal level. The much tougher decision is to bring someone else in who can play a part in all relevant decisions and discussions that take place within the football department.”

On Monday more evidence of the confusing list management picture emerged when mid-season draftee Josh Deluca said he was “shocked and devastated” to be delisted.

He had been told by the club when it secured him in the mid-season draft he would likely be kept on in 2020, with speculation his recruitment did not have unanimous support at list management.

Earlier the club had released a beautiful set of numbers under CEO Liddle – a 47 per cent increase in home attendance, record membership (64,269) and a net profit of $2,492,164.

That figure swelled to $6.2 million when government grants for the club’s Ikon Park redevelopment was factored in, with $2.4 million of debt written off.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby DOC » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:33 am

Carlton forward Charlie Curnow’s knee injury worse than first thought
Carlton has been forced to drastically reassess Charlie Curnow’s injury prognosis, with the young gun facing the prospect of missing up to half the season after a setback after knee surgery.

The Blues conceded they don’t have a timeline for Curnow’s return.

The emerging star had an operation in November to repair a broken patella bone in his knee and has not started running.

His brace has been removed and only recently started strength rehabilitation.

Initial prognosis said Curnow would be sidelined for three to four months, but that has been drastically reassessed to missing the first eight games and possibly the first half of the season.

“As we already communicated to our members and supporters last month, Charlie won’t be available for the start of the season,’’ Carlton head of football Brad Lloyd told the Herald Sun last night.

“This will likely mean a return to the field around the middle of the year.’’

The Curnow setback comes as the Blues defended a drinking session Curnow took part in at teammate Sam Docherty’s wedding on the Australia Day weekend.

Several Carlton players were spoken to by club officials following the wedding about their alcohol consumption on the day, although no player was disciplined.

Coach David Teague and some assistants were at the wedding.

The club’s leadership group, headed by co captains Patrick Cripps and Docherty, imposed the sanctions on the brothers.

“The sanction imposed is based solely on the standards the player group are driving and will continue to do so,’’ Blues head of football Brad Lloyd said in November.

But the Blues stressed there was difference between the Silvagnis and Curnow and others because the brothers were drinking after suffering fresh injuries.

Jack had a back injury and Ben was battling a quad injury.

Curnow was permitted to drink because he was dealing with a long-term injury and alcohol would not affect his recovery.

Other players carrying injuries followed club protocol by not drinking at the Royal Botanic Gardens wedding.

Curnow, who turned 23 on Monday, played just 11 games last year because of injury and required an operation in October to correct the patella bone.

In November, the club said Curnow accidentally slipped on tiles while walking upstairs and sustained a separate fracture to his right patella.

“The recovery time for a fractured knee cap is typically 3-4 months,’’ Lloyd said at the time.

‘’It is unlikely he will be available for our pre-season games in late-February and early March.’’

The Blues fly to Queensland for a pre-season camp on Tuesday.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm

Watching the 2013 Rd23 game at Footy Park. I was there, what a game, what a comeback.

Ahh, the good old days.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby LMA » Sun May 03, 2020 7:46 pm

gadj1976 wrote:Watching the 2013 Rd23 game at Footy Park. I was there, what a game, what a comeback.

Ahh, the good old days.

Without googling it was that against Port? Was there with my lads Auskick if so. It was only his second game watching Port, his first the Suns beat us. No wonder he plays round ball now.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby gadj1976 » Sun May 03, 2020 9:41 pm

LMA wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:Watching the 2013 Rd23 game at Footy Park. I was there, what a game, what a comeback.

Ahh, the good old days.

Without googling it was that against Port? Was there with my lads Auskick if so. It was only his second game watching Port, his first the Suns beat us. No wonder he plays round ball now.

That's the one.

the game has gone backwards at a million miles per hour since. I hate the game now. So much so that I can only just bear watching one game (ours) and that's about it. I'm not missing much of it to be honest.
gadj1976
Coach

Postby LMA » Sun May 03, 2020 9:57 pm

gadj1976 wrote:
LMA wrote:

Ahh, the good old days.

That's the one.

the game has gone backwards at a million miles per hour since. I hate the game now. So much so that I can only just bear watching one game (ours) and that's about it. I'm not missing much of it to be honest.

Yeah I get fed up with it from time to time. Supercoach and the great job REB does keeps me interested enough as a whole though.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Turbo » Sun May 03, 2020 11:03 pm

Ahh, the good old days.
Yep cracking comeback and match.

Finished 9th thanks to the bummers and did the same to Richmond the week after. Glorious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turbo
League - Top 5

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Jase » Sun May 03, 2020 11:09 pm

Turbo wrote:

Ahh, the good old days.
Yep cracking comeback and match.

Finished 9th thanks to the bummers and did the same to Richmond the week after. Glorious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Twas a great day indeed....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 18, 2020 4:28 pm

Thoughts?

Cripps and Murphy a bit rough?

HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Thoughts?

Cripps would have made it if he’d play 2-3 seasons more.
Murphy wouldn’t make their 5 best team.
He’s a good honest player but nothing more.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Carlton

Postby Jim05 » Mon May 18, 2020 4:34 pm

Cripps will be in there soon enough.
Murphy wouldn’t be in their best 60 I wouldn’t think.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Jase » Mon May 18, 2020 4:35 pm

amber_fluid wrote:

Cripps would have made it if he’d play 2-3 seasons more.
Murphy wouldn’t make their 5 best team.
He’s a good honest player but nothing more.
Agree 100% Amber...

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1476 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 18, 2020 4:42 pm

I think Murphy could be the most overrated player in the competition.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Corona Man » Mon May 18, 2020 4:46 pm

Bosustow stiff?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1275 times
Been liked: 3461 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby amber_fluid » Mon May 18, 2020 4:47 pm

Booney wrote:I think Murphy could be the most overrated player in the competition.

His missus is hot though!
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 18, 2020 5:19 pm

amber_fluid wrote:
Booney wrote:I think Murphy could be the most overrated player in the competition.

His missus is hot though!

Maintenance.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby DOC » Mon May 18, 2020 5:21 pm

Corona Man wrote:Bosustow stiff?

Perhaps they had a criteria of 100 games or so?

I would have squeezed Mark Naley in.

Peter Dean and Tom Alvin probably close but you can't select them all.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 723 times
Been liked: 2076 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL