Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Talk on the national game

Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Postby Booney » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:59 pm

http://titusoreily.com/the-best-mick-ma ... exchanges/

The best Mick Malthouse and Mark Stevens exchanges
The intellectual discourse between Carlton coach Mick Malthouse and Channel Seven reporter Mark Stevens is the best rivalry since Brad Scott and the Etihad roof.

Here are some of the best exchanges between the two.

After the round one loss to Port last year

Stevens: Mick, you lost tonight.

Malthouse: That’s not a question.

Stevens: What’s the capital of Cairo?

Malthouse: Cairo’s a city. (Proceeds to stare at Stevens for ten minutes without blinking.)

Stevens: Is it?

Malthouse: Yes.

Stevens: No wait, you’re right. I just googled it.

After the round three loss to Essendon

Stevens: Three losses in a row now.

Malthouse: That’s higher than I thought you could count.

After the round six win over West Coast

Stevens: Do you like me Mick?

Malthouse: Is that a footy question?

Stevens: Respect me then?

Malthouse: Any journalists want to ask a question?

After the round eight win over St Kilda

Stevens: Do you like playing at Etihad, does it suit your style?

Malthouse: Yes.

Stevens: Would you care to expand on your remarks?

Malthouse: No.

Stevens: Would you ever want to grab a coffee?

Malthouse: This press conference is over.

Stevens: Brunch?

After the round 14 loss to GWS

Stevens: Close loss tonight.

Malthouse: It was. We didn’t take some of our chances and they did.

Stevens: Hey thanks for giving my profile a massive boost.

Malthouse: I can’t take much more than this.

Stevens: Ratings are through the roof. Bosses couldn’t be happier.

After the round 15 loss to Collingwood

Stevens: I felt you would have really liked to win that one.

Malthouse: Did you figure that out yourself?

Stevens: They scored more points than you.

Malthouse: Is that a statement or are you asking me to confirm that?

Stevens: It’s a statement.

Malthouse: The idea is that you ask me questions.

Stevens: Is it?

After the round 20 win over the Gold Coast

Stevens: Jarrod Waite kicked five tonight.

Malthouse: We’ve sort of been through this whole question/statement thing.

Stevens: Still, I was right, he kicked five.

Malthouse: When they write articles about me not getting along with the media, they should replace ‘media’ with a picture of your face.

Stevens: I actually don’t mind that idea.

After the round 23 draw to Essendon

Stevens: Can you see this rash on my arm? What do you think it is?

Malthouse: I know what I hope it is.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Re: Titus O'Reily - AFL topics

Postby Booney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:49 am

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Two

Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

West Coast (131) v Carlton (62)

Carlton’s forward line was impressive this week, scarily good in fact.

Unfortunately, they are all playing for other teams. Even worse, one of them was playing for West Coast.

Carlton players seem to go elsewhere and get better. They’re the opposite of Melbourne players.

Are Carlton a professional football side? Their performances suggest no and they also didn’t have a banner.

They’re like someone who wears tracksuit pants to the shops. Just sending a signal to the world that they’re not trying anymore.

Carlton are scheduled for seven Friday Night Footy games this season. Seven!

While their footy doesn’t deserve it, I guess the thinking was that we all love a Friday night comedy.

Eagles fans would have been very happy with this and not just that fact their former club champion Chris Judd has found a lucrative post-footy gig after he left.

The Eagles had so many injuries the World Health Organisation had sent a thirteen nation taskforce to help them.

Considering that, it was pretty impressive stuff from the Eagles.

Former Carlton player Josh Kennedy kicked ten but I doubt it was in revenge.

You can’t be angry when someone lets you leave Carlton.

Instead it was probably more to do with the fact that the Blues players are making sure Malthouse’s contract doesn’t get renewed.

It may be the only thing they achieve this season.

Richmond v Western Bulldogs

Turns out the Bulldogs just needed a change of logo, coach, captain and CEO to turn things around.

I’m betting the logo change was the big one.

Also getting Tom Boyd, who earned his hefty paycheck with one mark and four disposals.

Marcus Bontempelli seems to be quite good, especially if you like second year players who get 27 touches and 10 tackles.

For a young side, the Bulldogs showed an intensity and composure above their years.

They’re also well led by Bob Murphy, who I’m personally suspicious of because he reads books, has a sense of humour and speaks well.

Is this a role model we want for younger footballers? I don’t think so.

As for Richmond, they were Richmonding all game.

It’s like the minute Brett Deledio doesn’t play they collapse.

Richmond’s intensity was on the level of one of those meditation retreats you hope no one ever tries to take you on.

While their intensity was lacking, it was their blazing away into the forward line that was truly something special.

Jack Riewoldt finished with nine touches and two goals but he was lucky to get that considering the Tigers midfield kept delivering the ball like some disgruntled postie.

Greater Western Sydney v Melbourne

Personally, I’m still coming to grips with the fact Melbourne’s winning streak is over.

Melbourne went into halftime looking like the elusive ‘win two games in a row’ challenge might actually be met.

Unfortunately, in what one can only assume was an administrative mix up, they forgot to come out for the second half.

The third quarter was one of Melbourne’s more disgraceful quarters in recent times and that’s really saying something.

To think they spent all week complaint bragging about having selection issues and who to drop.

They won’t have that problem this week.

There were probably all sorts of excuses after the game but the time for excuses was over about four years ago.

Melbourne just has a culture of surrendering and this was one of the best surrenders I’ve seen without the French being involved.

While GWS looked terrible in the first half, the second saw them have runners everywhere.

Part of this was their own improvement and the other part was playing a team that literally gave up. I use literally in the correct context here for a nice change.

The result was nine goals to none in the third term and a 45-point win. Not bad when they were down by 27 points at half time.

Are GWS good though? We’ll get a better idea next week when they play the Swans.

Collingwood v Adelaide

Collingwood were out to prove that banned substance use isn’t widespread at the club.

On this front they were successful.

Collingwood’s kicking was the stuff of nightmares for a lot of this game and fans must having been wondering what ball they practiced with in the offseason. My guess is a beach ball.

The Pies came back later and deserve some respect for not giving up but their skills wilted under Adelaide’s pressure.

It’s going to be a long year for Pies fans and a fun one for everyone else.

Adelaide have started well but they also took care of Collingwood twice last year so their improvement is hard to measure.

They do seem to be much better drilled under Phil Walsh and the only negatives were letting the Pies come back and Brodie Smith going off with concussion after he crashed into Travis Varcoe’s knee.

Seriously, Varcoe’s knee should be classed as a dangerous weapon.

Gold Coast v St Kilda

How bad are the Suns? Well, St Kilda look like Hawthorn during this one.

Gold Coast are the feel good team this year. You feel good when your team plays them.

Both Melbourne and St Kilda have so far enjoyed this experience and Melbourne got smashed this week, so the Suns must be awful.

Eade must already be working his magic on the Suns but he’s just skipping the bit in the middle where he improves them for a bit.

In some ways, this felt a bit like the passing of the wooden spoon. St Kilda who were everyone’s favourites for it said ‘here take this.’

Port Adelaide v Sydney

Don’t they build up the atmosphere well at the Portress? Having Jon and Tim Farris lead the crowd in ‘Never tear us apart’ was amazing.

Turns out ‘Never tear us apart’ is actually based on a letter a stalker sent to Kane Cornes.

Unfortunately, the Power were more J.D. Fortune than Michael Hutchence on the night.

From the opening bounce, Sydney were all over them like a giant tarp. They strangled them, took away any space.

It was a real test of whether the Power players could maintain their skills in the face of such an onslaught and the ultimate answer was that they couldn’t.

Obviously they should sack Ken Hinkley, immediately.

Buddy was terrific for the Swans, a huge physical presence and ended with three goals.

But it was a team effort, with the Swans giving the Power no time and space for four quarters.

I do hope Sydney fans aren’t wondering why they didn’t play like this in the Grand Final. That could really get to you if you let it fester.

Geelong v Fremantle

While the Power’s match day experience is second-to-none, Geelong’s match day experience is being able to spend a few hours forgetting you live in Geelong.

The problem in this game for the Cats was that they fell into the obvious trap of getting into a shootout with a Ross Lyon coached team.

They also seemed to be missing a Steve Motlop-type.

Is this the end for the Cats? Is the long predicted decline finally here? It certainly looked like it.

Personally, I knew Geelong were in trouble the minute they started a strategy of recruiting Melbourne players.

As for Fremantle, they looked very good. Their ability to get away from Geelong and into open space came down to a lot of hard running.

Nat Fyfe has 36 disposals and three goals, which is handy, while David Mundy had 39 disposals.

He’ll need to find more of it if he wants to keep his spot in the side.

Essendon v Hawthorn

So, Essendon fans will be fun this week.

This was a huge win and a cracking game. Everyone is happy to see the Bombers do well!

Hawthorn were without Sam Mitchell and Josh Gibson and it showed but that shouldn’t take much away from the effort of the Bombers.

They started so impressively that there was a sense of déjà vu from last week’s game.

Of course, they were helped by the fact Hawthorn’s kicking into their forward line was very un-Hawthorn like.

The second half saw Hawthorn go up a gear and the prevailing mood across the country was of immense Schadenfreude, as the Hawks looked like they were about to clinch a predictable comeback.

Enter stage left Cale Hooker, with an unlikely goal to seal the game.

Across Melbourne remotes were thrown, beer was spilled, unless you were a Bombers supporter. Then it was just pure joy.

The devastation for other fans was the realisation they had been barracking for Hawthorn.

As people wake up this morning, it’s slowly dawning on them that we may be living in a world where Essendon are good and James Hird can coach. Pray for us.

Bombers fans have every reason to be excited but let’s see them do that against a top team.

North Melbourne v Brisbane

So Port Adelaide roll out fireworks and two members of legendary Australian band INXS to pump up the crowd.

What did North do? They had a helium balloon.

I don’t know about you but I get pretty fired up about a helium balloon. At least, I did when I was five. Haven’t tried it recently if I’m being honest with you.

North bounced back from being smashed by a good team by belting a bad team that had their best players out.

Jarrad Waite continued Carlton’s potent weekend by kicking seven goals and giving Kangaroos fans a false sense of confidence in him.

Brisbane were awful and there is a lot for them to work on but it’s hard to judge when they have that many injuries.

I thought Brad Scott thanking Travis Varcoe’s knee in the media conference was a bit much.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:03 pm

New Zealand severs diplomatic relations in response to St Kilda v Carlton

The New Zealand government has announced it will sever all diplomatic relations with Australia in response to this weekend’s St Kilda v Carlton AFL match.
“Why is Australia doing this to us?” asked New Zealand Prime Minister John Key.
“What have we ever done to them? Except for giving them Russell Crowe and at least he wins things.”
New Zealand High Commissioner to Australia, His Excellency Mr Chris Seed said ‘friends don’t send friends St Kilda and Carlton’.
“I know only expats will probably go to the game but it’s the principle that counts.”
“Kids could see it and then what? The New Zealand tax payer foots the bill for years of counselling.
“I mean they could have at least sent us North Melbourne if they didn’t want to send any stars over.”
Australian Foreign Affairs Minister Julie Bishop said while she was disappointed that New Zealand would sever relations, she did understand it.
“To send St Kilda there year-after-year is one thing but to then add Carlton? It’s just cruel.”
St Kilda CEO Matt Finnis said he was disappointed with the New Zealand government’s response.
“Don’t they know our strategic plan calls for us to have 10,000 members over there?”
“It’s an exciting opportunity for New Zealanders to see stars like Sam Fisher, Cameron Shenton and Tim Membrey in the flesh.”
Carlton refused to comment directly on the decision but said it hoped it meant Mark Stevens would be denied entry.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:35 pm

This mornings Monday knee jerk reaction to round 13 is one of his best pieces yet.
If someone who's less of a luddite than myself can post it, I'd be grateful.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby saintal » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:47 pm

Fremantle (80) v Collingwood (73)

I’m all in on Thursday Night Footy just quietly. One less day of the week without football is always a good thing, just one less pointless day in my life.
To think, there are people who think sport isn’t the most important thing in life!
It must be a meaningless existence to fill your life with only art, learning, friends and travel.
While I’m a fan of Thursday Night football, I’m less so of this alarming trend of improvement that Collingwood are showing.
I could handle them beating the bottom sides but taking it to premiership contenders is just too much thanks.
The deal was, Carlton gets Malthouse, which screws them up and then it turns out Buckley can’t coach and Eddie stuffed it all up.
It was a wonderful story! We all loved it. Carlton did their bit and then some but now Collingwood have gone and ruined it.
It could have been even worse. If Jesse White could kick straight the Pies might just have pinched this. At least Jesse can be counted on. No wonder Eddie is so angry with Sydney.
Fremantle have gone from looking unbeatable to almost beatable. They’re still great but sides seem to be figuring them out a bit. Still, it’s a good problem to have, especially when Hawthorn and Sydney are looking a bit below their best.
Nat Fyfe continues to get mentioned all the time but in fairness, it’s because he’s really good at football.
It must be nice to be that good at something. I was once pretty good at singing but puberty fixed that. Thanks puberty.

Sydney (77) v Richmond (95)

So it turns out 70,000 people can’t be wrong, at least this week. This was truly an impressive victory by Richmond and just so typical of them.
Teams like Richmond and North are the reason we can never get our tips right.
Not only did the Tigers beat a top opponent on the road, they also knocked out Sydney’s forward line for a few weeks. Kudos.
All the things that usually go wrong for Richmond, didn’t. Their leaders stood up with Cotchin leading from the front, they rose when challenged physically and they never gave up.
Jack Riewoldt did what Sydney’s forwards forgot to do and kicked goals, six of them.
It seems the Tiges are better away, a pity then that the Grand Final is played at the MCG. To be fair, I don’t see that being a problem for them though (read that sentence how you like Richmond fans).
For the Swans, this was a bizarre performance. They started well but seemed to become distracted.
When Lance Franklin went over Shane Edwards like he was a row of parked cars and was subsequently reported, he seemed to lose interest in the game. From that point on Alex Rance made sure he didn’t get a look in.
Later on Kurt Tippet, taking inspiration from former WWE superstar Tito Santana, launched a ‘Flying forearm’ on Dylan Grimes. Though to give Kurt the benefit of the doubt, it could be just the fact he is somewhat uncoordinated.
What an expensive disappointment he is becoming.
It was stupid, undisciplined stuff from the Swans and it took their focus off the footy.
I should add the Adam Goodes copped a lot of attention for what appeared to be a low blow to Taylor Hunt. However, in real time it’s clear it wasn’t with any force and Goodes hand just accidentally slipped up Hunt’s lower thigh a bit far.
Personally, I always thought this was just part of the fun of the game, the always present chance of being accidentally felt up by an Australian of the Year.

Hawthorn (114) v Essendon (76)

Speaking of Goodes, a few weeks ago he threw an imaginary spear at a bunch of Carlton supporters. It was amazing that nobody got hurt and what did the AFL do? Nothing.
This week we had Sam Mitchell brandish an imaginary needle on the field, surely the time to crack down on theatre sports in footy has come.
Luckily, no one was physically hurt this time but Jake Carlise’s feelings got hurt and given he always looks like he’s close to crying, that’s a real concern.
Unfortunately, we may never know what type of drug Sam Mitchell was pretending to inject. Was it even legal? I hope the Hawks have an imaginary Excel spreadsheet somewhere.
Still it adds to the story of the ‘unsociable Hawks,’ which is a nice way of saying ‘dirty’.
Unsociable is when you turn up to a BBQ and stand in the corner and not talk to anyone. Trust me, I know what unsociable is.
The Hawks are the equivalent of people who show up to the BBQ and punch people in the stomach. Unsociable probably is underselling what they do.
Hawthorn plays Collingwood next, look for the Hawks to mimic eating an amazing amount of New Zealand steak.
What to make of the Bombers’ performance then? It was pretty bad. It’s easy to blame it all on Hird. Really easy, give it a go. See?
This is a side that for whatever reason looks completely lost. Their skills are bad and their endurance would be more at home at the EJ Whitten tribute match.
Personally, I couldn’t be keener to see Hird remain at Essendon, like when the Allies wanted Hitler to remain alive because he was terrible at military strategy.
Not that I’m comparing Hird to Hitler, although he did bang on about propaganda a lot this week.

Brisbane (69) v Adelaide (82)

What was this Adelaide? Phil Walsh may claim it’s like seeing a Van Gogh painting but this was more like a two-year olds finger painting, just embarrassing stuff for everyone to see.
In the end, the Crows won but only because the Lions are now fielding a side made up of anyone living in Brisbane who is fit enough to play.
It meant they ran out of gas in the last quarter and the Crows, stocked with actual AFL players, managed to finally get over the top.
There was some bad news for the Crows too, with Rory Sloane fracturing his cheekbone.
As someone who also has perfect cheekbones, I understand how devastating that must be. Really, opponents shouldn’t be allowed to touch Rory’s face.

St Kilda (56) v Western Bulldogs (62)

This was a tough arm-wrestle, which is code for ‘somewhat boring, low skilled, low scoring affair’.
The first half was just the worst. There were only six goals kicked and only the lack of another AFL game kept me watching.
The second half ‘opened up’ if I was being generous but I’m not, it was also awful.
Really, the closeness of the game made it seem more exciting than it really was.
Probably the highlight of this match was when the delivery guy turned up with the Indian food during the third quarter and I noticed they’d added extra naan bread. Also the butter chicken was amazing.
Sure, I know it’s a pretty westernised dish but there’s a reason it’s a classic.
Anyway, the difference in the footy was probably Easton Wood and Bob Murphy rebounding off the back half.
That Easton Wood is so good that even the media have begun noticing him, while Bob Murphy can really do this captaining thing.
St Kilda coach Alan Richardson pointed out after the game that it’s pretty hard to defend when you keep kicking the ball to your opponent. He’s totally right. They should do something about that.

Carlton (103) v Gold Coast (69)

How can you tell your life hasn’t worked out? You’re a neutral fan and you watched this.
Despite the win it was a real missed opportunity for the Blues, surely one of their players could have mimicked snorting cocaine at a Suns player. The opportunity was right there.
What’s the point of the Suns, apart from raising awareness of the AFL amongst law enforcement agencies?
Apparently, the Suns players are split between a group that likes to go out drinking and a so-called ‘God Squad’ who prefer prayer.
It must be a horrible place for a tee-totaling atheist then.
Still, the Suns would have been pretty distracted that Karmichael Hunt has tipped a bucket on them. Good bloke that Karmichael, selling everyone else out to save himself.
Remember the big send off the AFL gave him? I wonder if the Suns will get a similar one when they fold.
Still, a lot of the cocaine taking makes sense when you learn a lot of it happened on a golf trip. I’d have to be on a fair bit of cocaine to enjoy golf.
Admit it, we all preferred Carlton under Malthouse. This winning thing the Blues are doing is not funny at all.
There can be no doubt the players have bought in to not having Mick Malthouse and are actually trying.
If they’d done this from the start they could have not wasted this whole season. Oh well, best not to dwell on that.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:48 pm

Ask Tobias, and ye shall receive. :D

The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Round Thirteen
Footy is a passion, not some cold hearted, spread sheet dominated rational exercise.

On a Monday you want irrational reaction. You want emotion to trump reason.

What you really want is idiotic hysteria.

You’ve come to the right place.

Fremantle (80) v Collingwood (73)

I’m all in on Thursday Night Footy just quietly. One less day of the week without football is always a good thing, just one less pointless day in my life.

To think, there are people who think sport isn’t the most important thing in life!

It must be a meaningless existence to fill your life with only art, learning, friends and travel.

While I’m a fan of Thursday Night football, I’m less so of this alarming trend of improvement that Collingwood are showing.

I could handle them beating the bottom sides but taking it to premiership contenders is just too much thanks.

The deal was, Carlton gets Malthouse, which screws them up and then it turns out Buckley can’t coach and Eddie stuffed it all up.

It was a wonderful story! We all loved it. Carlton did their bit and then some but now Collingwood have gone and ruined it.

It could have been even worse. If Jesse White could kick straight the Pies might just have pinched this. At least Jesse can be counted on. No wonder Eddie is so angry with Sydney.

Fremantle have gone from looking unbeatable to almost beatable. They’re still great but sides seem to be figuring them out a bit. Still, it’s a good problem to have, especially when Hawthorn and Sydney are looking a bit below their best.

Nat Fyfe continues to get mentioned all the time but in fairness, it’s because he’s really good at football.

It must be nice to be that good at something. I was once pretty good at singing but puberty fixed that. Thanks puberty.

Sydney (77) v Richmond (95)

So it turns out 70,000 people can’t be wrong, at least this week. This was truly an impressive victory by Richmond and just so typical of them.

Teams like Richmond and North are the reason we can never get our tips right.

Not only did the Tigers beat a top opponent on the road, they also knocked out Sydney’s forward line for a few weeks. Kudos.

All the things that usually go wrong for Richmond, didn’t. Their leaders stood up with Cotchin leading from the front, they rose when challenged physically and they never gave up.

Jack Riewoldt did what Sydney’s forwards forgot to do and kicked goals, six of them.

It seems the Tiges are better away, a pity then that the Grand Final is played at the MCG. To be fair, I don’t see that being a problem for them though (read that sentence how you like Richmond fans).

For the Swans, this was a bizarre performance. They started well but seemed to become distracted.

When Lance Franklin went over Shane Edwards like he was a row of parked cars and was subsequently reported, he seemed to lose interest in the game. From that point on Alex Rance made sure he didn’t get a look in.

Later on Kurt Tippet, taking inspiration from former WWE superstar Tito Santana, launched a ‘Flying forearm’ on Dylan Grimes. Though to give Kurt the benefit of the doubt, it could be just the fact he is somewhat uncoordinated.

What an expensive disappointment he is becoming.

It was stupid, undisciplined stuff from the Swans and it took their focus off the footy.

I should add the Adam Goodes copped a lot of attention for what appeared to be a low blow to Taylor Hunt. However, in real time it’s clear it wasn’t with any force and Goodes hand just accidentally slipped up Hunt’s lower thigh a bit far.

Personally, I always thought this was just part of the fun of the game, the always present chance of being accidentally felt up by an Australian of the Year.

Hawthorn (114) v Essendon (76)

Speaking of Goodes, a few weeks ago he threw an imaginary spear at a bunch of Carlton supporters. It was amazing that nobody got hurt and what did the AFL do? Nothing.

This week we had Sam Mitchell brandish an imaginary needle on the field, surely the time to crack down on theatre sports in footy has come.

Luckily, no one was physically hurt this time but Jake Carlise’s feelings got hurt and given he always looks like he’s close to crying, that’s a real concern.

Unfortunately, we may never know what type of drug Sam Mitchell was pretending to inject. Was it even legal? I hope the Hawks have an imaginary Excel spreadsheet somewhere.

Still it adds to the story of the ‘unsociable Hawks,’ which is a nice way of saying ‘dirty’.

Unsociable is when you turn up to a BBQ and stand in the corner and not talk to anyone. Trust me, I know what unsociable is.

The Hawks are the equivalent of people who show up to the BBQ and punch people in the stomach. Unsociable probably is underselling what they do.

Hawthorn plays Collingwood next, look for the Hawks to mimic eating an amazing amount of New Zealand steak.

What to make of the Bombers’ performance then? It was pretty bad. It’s easy to blame it all on Hird. Really easy, give it a go. See?

This is a side that for whatever reason looks completely lost. Their skills are bad and their endurance would be more at home at the EJ Whitten tribute match.

Personally, I couldn’t be keener to see Hird remain at Essendon, like when the Allies wanted Hitler to remain alive because he was terrible at military strategy.

Not that I’m comparing Hird to Hitler, although he did bang on about propaganda a lot this week.

Brisbane (69) v Adelaide (82)

What was this Adelaide? Phil Walsh may claim it’s like seeing a Van Gogh painting but this was more like a two-year olds finger painting, just embarrassing stuff for everyone to see.

In the end, the Crows won but only because the Lions are now fielding a side made up of anyone living in Brisbane who is fit enough to play.

It meant they ran out of gas in the last quarter and the Crows, stocked with actual AFL players, managed to finally get over the top.

There was some bad news for the Crows too, with Rory Sloane fracturing his cheekbone.

As someone who also has perfect cheekbones, I understand how devastating that must be. Really, opponents shouldn’t be allowed to touch Rory’s face.

St Kilda (56) v Western Bulldogs (62)

This was a tough arm-wrestle, which is code for ‘somewhat boring, low skilled, low scoring affair’.

The first half was just the worst. There were only six goals kicked and only the lack of another AFL game kept me watching.

The second half ‘opened up’ if I was being generous but I’m not, it was also awful.

Really, the closeness of the game made it seem more exciting than it really was.

Probably the highlight of this match was when the delivery guy turned up with the Indian food during the third quarter and I noticed they’d added extra naan bread. Also the butter chicken was amazing.

Sure, I know it’s a pretty westernised dish but there’s a reason it’s a classic.

Anyway, the difference in the footy was probably Easton Wood and Bob Murphy rebounding off the back half.

That Easton Wood is so good that even the media have begun noticing him, while Bob Murphy can really do this captaining thing.

St Kilda coach Alan Richardson pointed out after the game that it’s pretty hard to defend when you keep kicking the ball to your opponent. He’s totally right. They should do something about that.

Carlton (103) v Gold Coast (69)

How can you tell your life hasn’t worked out? You’re a neutral fan and you watched this.

Despite the win it was a real missed opportunity for the Blues, surely one of their players could have mimicked snorting cocaine at a Suns player. The opportunity was right there.

What’s the point of the Suns, apart from raising awareness of the AFL amongst law enforcement agencies?

Apparently, the Suns players are split between a group that likes to go out drinking and a so-called ‘God Squad’ who prefer prayer.

It must be a horrible place for a tee-totaling atheist then.

Still, the Suns would have been pretty distracted that Karmichael Hunt has tipped a bucket on them. Good bloke that Karmichael, selling everyone else out to save himself.

Remember the big send off the AFL gave him? I wonder if the Suns will get a similar one when they fold.

Still, a lot of the cocaine taking makes sense when you learn a lot of it happened on a golf trip. I’d have to be on a fair bit of cocaine to enjoy golf.

Admit it, we all preferred Carlton under Malthouse. This winning thing the Blues are doing is not funny at all.

There can be no doubt the players have bought in to not having Mick Malthouse and are actually trying.

If they’d done this from the start they could have not wasted this whole season. Oh well, best not to dwell on that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:51 pm

Brilliant, Titus. Brilliant.

"Carlton (103) v Gold Coast (69)

How can you tell your life hasn’t worked out? You’re a neutral fan and you watched this".

:lol:
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Spargo » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Cheers saintal & Booney.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5474 times
Been liked: 5116 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jun 29, 2015 5:14 pm

Titus is the reason I have a twitter account
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:08 pm

Someone feel free to post the entire Titus review, but this quote is an absolute pisser:

“Caleb Daniel impressed in his debut when he came on at half time. At 167cm, the Doggies deserve some credit for drafting someone at that size. At some clubs they would try and set him on fire at their Christmas party”.

=)) =))

Brilliant, Titus. I needed that laugh after the weekend we have had in footy.

valleys07
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:13 pm

valleys07 wrote:Someone feel free to post the entire Titus review, but this quote is an absolute pisser:

“Caleb Daniel impressed in his debut when he came on at half time. At 167cm, the Doggies deserve some credit for drafting someone at that size. At some clubs they would try and set him on fire at their Christmas party”.

=)) =))

Brilliant, Titus. I needed that laugh after the weekend we have had in footy.

Classic!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby valleys07 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:30 pm

Oh Titus :lol:

Reviewing the Gold Coast game:

"Starting in the 3rd, they started to run out of speed across the ground. Charlie Dixon went off too and losing speed and Charlie just saw the Suns spiralling downwards"

:lol: :lol:

valleys07
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:30 am

safooty gets a plug in his latest offering:

Patrick Dangerfield keen to know what Patrick Dangerfield is doing

Adelaide Crows superstar Patrick Dangerfield says he is as keen to know where he will be playing next year as everyone else.

“It’s a question I keep asking myself. I read and listen to every story in the media just trying to get some clue,” said the in demand midfielder.

“Last week, I spent a whole day on the Big Footy and the SA Footy forums just seeing if I could get an inside word but I suspect no one on there really knows, despite saying they do.

“Still, there’s a lot of great theories on there and it’s definitely helped shape my thinking.”

Dangerfield’s manager Paul Connors says it very hard to pick between Adelaide and Geelong.

“Geelong is great because it’s near the surf coast. That’s probably it’s big selling feature, being near somewhere else.”

“Adelaide’s good too, with the Central Market and ah… oh Amalfi does a really good pizza.”

Dangerfield says he hopes people keep writing articles and talking about his future on TV and radio.

“It’s a nice distraction from playing football and if people keep speculating enough I’m sure at least one of them will be right.”

“People need to understand how tough it is to choose between Adelaide and Geelong. I guess I’m just the luckiest guy in the world, who wouldn’t want to live in either of those places?”
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:56 am

"I'm not saying you boo Adam Goodes for racist reasons but when a bunch of racists are doing it too maybe stop"
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3886 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:10 pm

http://titusoreily.com/man-cant-remembe ... s-anymore/

Man can’t remember why he’s booing Adam Goodes anymore

Shop fitter Dennis Celios says he can no longer remember why he boos Adam Goodes.

“I’m sure there was a really good reason originally, totally not a racist one. Maybe staging for free kicks or something? The Australian of the Year stuff?”

“I sort of do it now because everyone else does.

“I’m not going to stop just because left wingers say it’s racist when truth is, I do it for reasons I can’t really remember or articulate.”

Celios’ co-worker Ian Heaton says he believes not everyone boos Goodes for racist reasons but Dennis ‘probably does.’

“Dennis is pretty racist but it’s an unfocused racism that is really a lack of thoughtfulness about the structural problems race creates in society.”

“His booing of Goodes is probably more reflective of a man who is dealing with his own insecurities and the fact life has not really worked out for him.

“Dennis would have spent all of ten seconds thinking deeply about Adam Goodes or the issues he raises.”

Close friend Brad Tomlinson defended Celios’ booing, citing he once booed Joel Selwood too.

“I was there the day he booed Joel Selwood, so how could his booing of Goodes be racist?”

“Although, just quietly, Dennis does hate a lot of people. He’s actually not a very nice person.”
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2398 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:49 pm

St Kilda (59) v Fremantle (96)

Another week of watching sport has me more than a little sick of that ‘a ship in the harbour is safe’ ad. Seriously, they ask him a question in English and he responds in Italian.

He doesn’t even answer their question. I bet that’s the answer he gives every tourist as he overcharges them so much he actually owns the harbour and every ship in it.

He’s worded up the waitress, ‘I’ll play the wise old Italian guy and you just translate it into any old nonsense.’

The couple ask what’s his secret to having a great business and he starts talking about ships.

I know it’s meant to be a profound metaphor but it doesn’t even work as that. What about the fact he’s got a restaurant with million dollar views? And how’s that relate to them?

Unless they run a cruise ship business or a fishing fleet, who cares where a ship is? it’s just silly. Perhaps they are those evil people smugglers we read about and they do need to stop worrying about keeping ships safe.

Watch the ad next time imagining them as people smugglers and it’s a lot better. In that scenario, it’s good advice, he’s telling them to stop worrying about putting safety first and just get the refugees out to sea.

Bloody NAB financing people smugglers. I hope the next ad shows Border Force abseiling through the windows with guns blazing.

I bet the creative director at the ad agency who came up with this just had no ideas for the ad but had one of those awful calendars with a daily platitude on them and just decided to shoehorn one into the ad.

Anyway, Freo smashed St Kilda early then the Saints came back a little bit.

http://titusoreily.com/the-monday-knee- ... -nineteen/
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:46 pm

Every year, some work experience kid in the marketing department has to come up with a marketing slogan for the club’s membership drive.

A line from a song is often used or sometimes something just bizarre. Strangely, despite most of them being innocuous, they can go spectacularly wrong, look at Essendon’s ‘Whatever it takes’ or Carlton’s ‘They know we’re coming.’

Let’s have a look at the 2016 crop and recommend some helpful alternatives.

Adelaide

Slogan: We Fly as One

Review: Hard to not like this one, especially after the classy way it was used following Phil Walsh’s passing last year, when even opposition supporters used it as a mark of respect. No pressure on the person coming up with next years’ one then.

Alternate slogan: Now containing 100% less Dangerfield

Brisbane

Slogan: Believe. Belong.

Review: Had this for a while now which suggests the marketing department just can’t come up with a new one because you wouldn’t keep this one by choice.

Alternate slogan: Come for the inflatable Lion, stay for the footy, or don’t

Carlton

Slogan: Bound by Blue

Review: This one is perfect. It captures the trapped feeling a Carlton supporter must have all the time. Like organised religion, supporting Carlton is only something a person would do if they are constrained by family and community ties.

Alternate slogan: Trapped by Blue

Collingwood

Slogan: Side by Side

Review: Another old slogan that’s been around for a few years but let’s give Pies fans a chance to finish reading it before introducing a new one.

Alternate slogan: See year five of the coaching transition

Essendon

Slogan: Don the Sash

Review: The Don the Sash part is not new and is actually pretty good. On their membership page they’ve got ‘Standing Firm?’ I like the question mark. They’re both aware you wouldn’t want to but it also reads a bit like a threat, “You’re not thinking of leaving us are you?”

As a sub heading they’ve got ‘We understand it’s not that simple’. This might be the most honest thing Essendon have said in a while.

Alternate slogan: Don the Sash, if legally allowed

Fremantle

Slogan: Forever Freo

Review: Not sure if this is a slogan or a sad realisation. I can only imagine how excited the marketing team were when they worked out a slogan containing two words starting with F.

Alternate slogan: Who wants the last slice of Pav?

Geelong

Slogan: Greatness. Our Tradition. Our Ambition

Review: Is something only going back to 2007 a tradition? I was hoping it was more a passing fad. The ambition bit is true though, given they’ve got Patrick Dangerfield now and he’ll solve all their problems.

Alternate slogan: Highway to the Dangerfield

Gold Coast

Slogan: We are Gold Coast. We are your Suns

Review: The second bit is coming on a little strong. A bit like telling someone you’re their soul mate on a first date. Slow down Suns, at least buy us a drink, which I know you like.

Alternate slogan: Suns of God

GWS

Slogan: Expect big things

Review: In my experience, saying something like this is usually overcompensating. Trust me, this is a like me on a date. Talks a good game but can’t back it up, which is the Giants in a nutshell.

Alternate slogan: Please notice us Sydney

Hawthorn

Slogan: Hawthorn. Always

Review: Just a depressing statement of reality really. I would have added a few swear words but this still works I guess.

Alternate slogan: Rinse, repeat

Melbourne

Slogan: My heart beats true

Review: It would have to be your heart because no person using their brain would fork over their hard earned based on the last decade. On the positive side, it may be a celebration that you haven’t had a heart attack watching the garbage served up under the Schwab years and the painful rebuilding the rebuild period.

Alternate slogan: See Jesse Hogan. Hurry, last shows

North Melbourne

Slogan: Shinboner Spirit. One & All

Review: Shinboner spirit is a classic but the ‘One & All’ should probably have a question mark after it to be accurate.

Alternate slogan: Watch Todd Goldstein carry a whole team

Port Adelaide

Slogan: We are Port Adelaide

Review: Another that’s been in use a few years. Useful for their fans to make sure they don’t accidentally barrack for the wrong team.

“Who are we again?”

“It’s written on your membership.”

“So you’re not going to be helpful then?”

Alternate slogan: Now with added Jimmy Toumpas

Richmond

Slogan: Strong & Bold

Review: Needs a disclaimer saying ‘offer does not apply in September’.

Alternate slogan: Secure your final tickets

St Kilda

Slogan: Be St Kilda

Review: Were was the marketing team when they came up with this? Not in the room obviously and not at that charity cricket match the whole team snubbed either. This may be the worst of the lot.

Considering they are actually based in Seaford but are moving to Moorabbin means even the club can’t ‘Be St Kilda’.

Alternate slogan: Help fund our poor home base choices

Sydney

Slogan: Welcome to the Spectacular

Review: It’s flashy with little substance so it’s perfect for the Harbour City.

Alternate slogan: You don’t have to go to ANZ Stadium anymore

West Coast

Slogan: The West is United

Review: This is really trolling given the Dockers play in the same stadium as them. The only thing Western Australia is united over is their dislike of the east coast and mining taxes.

Alternate slogan: We’re flying high but now in a good way

Western Bulldogs

Slogan: Be more Bulldog

Review: I’m not sure if being more of something that hasn’t won a premiership since 1954 is what you want. I suppose ‘Be more like Hawthorn’ would be odd though.

Alternate slogan: Still Liam Jones free
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:47 pm

WCE- Alternate slogan: We're flying high but now in a good way.

:lol:

valleys07
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:23 pm

:lol: :lol:

IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0553.JPG (82.54 KiB) Viewed 2551 times

valleys07
Coach

Postby saintal » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:35 pm

One of his better recent efforts :lol:
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach