wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-27/adam-goodes-booing-racist-gerard-whateley/6650646

"If you are not booing for racist grounds, stop, because it never used to be part of your day at the footy. Stop, and let the racists boo and then call them out, because this is disgustuing" Gerard Whateley

Gerard obviously never went to the footy as a kid. Far less booing now than there was at the old suburban grounds. Booing would of been the least of their worries at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin etc.

Good argument mate.
Cavemen used to kill each other so it should be perfectly legal today too, at least a good maiming or stoning anyway.

His argument according to the article is that people never used to boo at the footy, im just stating he is wrong and thats its been happening for 100 years.
Maybe Gerard should come to a Port reserves match and hear what Butcher has to put up with each week and thats just from Port supporters :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby stan » Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:32 pm

Jim05 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-27/adam-goodes-booing-racist-gerard-whateley/6650646

"If you are not booing for racist grounds, stop, because it never used to be part of your day at the footy. Stop, and let the racists boo and then call them out, because this is disgustuing" Gerard Whateley

Gerard obviously never went to the footy as a kid. Far less booing now than there was at the old suburban grounds. Booing would of been the least of their worries at Vic Park, Windy Hill, Moorabbin etc.

Good argument mate.
Cavemen used to kill each other so it should be perfectly legal today too, at least a good maiming or stoning anyway.

His argument according to the article is that people never used to boo at the footy, im just stating he is wrong and thats its been happening for 100 years.
Maybe Gerard should come to a Port reserves match and hear what Butcher has to put up with each week and thats just from Port supporters :D

Sounds like the sturt fans were Butcherist on the weekend [emoji57]
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:25 pm

Crikey! Soon we won't be able to boo the umpires. I might start taking my kids to soccer where they can rip the chairs out of the stands and set the stands alight.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby another grub » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:35 pm

What a joke. If people want to boo let them boo. Is it that big a deal . Realy?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:44 pm

another grub wrote:What a joke. If people want to boo let them boo. Is it that big a deal . Realy?

it is now...
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby JK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:57 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
another grub wrote:What a joke. If people want to boo let them boo. Is it that big a deal . Realy?

it is now...

Yeah I reckon enough's enough. People are entitled to boo at the footy if they want and like or dislike whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose, but the bloke's been through enough imho. Points been made he isn't popular among many. Be nice to see it end.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby another grub » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:14 pm

What a load of carp!
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:24 pm

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:25 pm

JK wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

it is now...

Yeah I reckon enough's enough. People are entitled to boo at the footy if they want and like or dislike whomever they choose for whatever reason they choose, but the bloke's been through enough imho. Points been made he isn't popular among many. Be nice to see it end.

They made a good point on 360 last night. Nobody would boo him to his face so that means it is just plain cowardly
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:27 pm

Yeah, but half the crap you yell at the footy, you wouldn't say to someone's face.
In fact, half the shit we say to people on this forum, we wouldn't say to each other's faces.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:32 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Yeah, but half the crap you yell at the footy, you wouldn't say to someone's face.
In fact, half the shit we say to people on this forum, we wouldn't say to each other's faces.

My shout (yeah you're right, good point)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Sydney Swans 2015

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:40 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Yeah, but half the crap you yell at the footy, you wouldn't say to someone's face.

I agree, but it doesn't make it right or justifiable though.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure I'd tell Jesse White he's a spud to his face.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:43 pm

JK wrote:

My shout

You know when I'm there. I'll catch you soon. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:44 pm

I reckon the sort of all-encompassing statement such as that from 360 is part of the problem with this debate.
Lots of people are making all-encompassing statements, such as:

* All the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* None of the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* We shouldn't be booing.
* People have always been booed.

None of them reflect the nuances that every action encompasses.

I concede that Goodes was occasionally booed prior to Gorillagate - as were others.
However, between Gorillagate and the first match where the Swans spoke out about it, that booing intensified (and to a continual level I've never heard before).
Why? I believe it was because he challenged white Australia. The booing started from some with racial intent and others followed, for their own reasons. He challenged Australians about using racial terms, even if many, many people didn't realise they were racial or offensive. He tried to educate us.
Since the controversy earlier this season when this debate started, I believe there is still racial intent behind some of the boos, but the rest of the folk generally don't know why they're booing. They're just doing it because it's a "thing". It's football's planking, a trend that will disappear.
Not all booing is bad. But...not all booing is as innocent as some would like to make it.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:

I agree, but it doesn't make it right or justifiable though.

Agreed. But it makes the 360 point moot, doesn't it?
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:45 pm

They were talking about a mob mentality at the time so I think the comment was justified in that context
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:45 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I reckon the sort of all-encompassing statement such as that from 360 is part of the problem with this debate.
Lots of people are making all-encompassing statements, such as:

* All the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* None of the booers are doing so with racist intent.
* We shouldn't be booing.
* People have always been booed.

None of them reflect the nuances that every action encompasses.

I concede that Goodes was occasionally booed prior to Gorillagate - as were others.
However, between Gorillagate and the first match where the Swans spoke out about it, that booing intensified (and to a continual level I've never heard before).
Why, I believe it was because he challenged white Australia. The booing started from some with racial intent and others followed, for their own reasons.
Since the controversy earlier this season when this debate started, I believe there is still racial intent behind some of the boos, but the rest of the folk generally don't know why they're booing. They're just doing it because it's a "thing". It's football's planking, a trend that will disappear.
Not all booing is bad. But...not all booing is as innocent as some would like to make it.

All of that probably sounds convoluted, but the point is, nothing's as simple, or black and white, as we'd like it to be in this debate.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:
JK wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

it is now...

They made a good point on 360 last night. Nobody would boo him to his face so that means it is just plain cowardly

Really?
Im sure there are some that would but the majority wouldnt
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MatteeG » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:06 pm

bennymacca wrote:They were talking about a mob mentality at the time so I think the comment was justified in that context

"We've given the word mob a bad name"
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL