wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: wubsy's Sydney thread

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:07 pm

The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I didn't watch the doco... Personally i dont believe it was racism.

Funnily enough, this is probably the most written comment i've seen over social media this morning!

All I say is put aside 75min of your time, sit down uninterupted and with an open mind and watch it from start to finish.

I will watch it at some point

Don’t get me wrong I do believe Australia still has a racial problem but just on this occasion I believe ‘most’ not all we’re booing for non racist reasons.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby MW » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:52 pm

What I learnt last night was according to Bolt and Alan Jones, you are not a racist if you are 13 years old.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:58 pm

MW wrote:What I learnt last night was according to Bolt and Alan Jones, you are not a racist if you are 13 years old.

Which is a load of rubbish

Only that girl will know whether she meant that with racial conitations

IF she genuinely didn’t know why that comment wasn’t acceptable then that is an issue in itself.

Ps I had no problem with Goodes pointing the girl out and can absolutely understand his anger towards the comment
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:44 pm

The amount of red neck mostly drunk wankers I've had to listen to last night and today that have an opinion on this subject without even watching the doco sickens me.
Proud of myself both days for remaining quiet.

This country is so far away from being a place I can be proud of. Hopefully a lot of the racism dies out with the current generation especially those with British descent who think they own the world.

I stand with Adam.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:59 pm

Wedgie wrote:The amount of red neck mostly drunk wankers I've had to listen to last night and today that have an opinion on this subject without even watching the doco sickens me.
Proud of myself both days for remaining quiet.

This country is so far away from being a place I can be proud of. Hopefully a lot of the racism dies out with the current generation especially those with British descent who think they own the world.

I stand with Adam.

Sadly I think racism is only increasing in this country! There seems to be a right wing resurgence in this country with very strong racial tones.
whufc
Coach

Postby stan » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:40 am

mots02 wrote:
The Bedge wrote:
whufc wrote:I didn't watch the doco... Personally i dont believe it was racism.

Funnily enough, this is probably the most written comment i've seen over social media this morning!

All I say is put aside 75min of your time, sit down uninterupted and with an open mind and watch it from start to finish.

Opening up with ''i didn't watch it'' kind of dismisses the relevance of any comment you choose to make on it after that doesn't it!

Kind of like opening up with ''with all due respect'' before loading up with an insult.
Saying I didn't watch it, but personally I don't think it was rasicm will be said 1000 times over on every platform and conversation about this topic and it is a true reflection of where Australia is at. Basically divided, ignorant and too lazy to Get educated.

Anyway I watched the doco and also had the privilege of experiencing the Cultral awareness training sessions by work run by Paul Vandenberg (spelling???) as well and I can day it will really change your perspective on these issues.

Whether you think it is rasict or not, get some information, do some research. Watch the doco.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:16 am

Just because I didn’t watch the docu does it reflect on me being ignorant

Btw I have spent hours on hours with PVB in regards to community programming so I relatively good perspective to work from.

Also I’m not sure why all of a sudden the doco is the only information out there, like all information it comes from my side of the story with one agenda, which is fine but that doesn’t make it the only source of info out there.

Serious question I don’t know the answer to, was Nicky Windmar booed by supporters each week after his famous, iconic and brilliant shirt lifting act.
whufc
Coach

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:40 am

whufc wrote:Just because I didn’t watch the docu does it reflect on me being ignorant

Btw I have spent hours on hours with PVB in regards to community programming so I relatively good perspective to work from.

Also I’m not sure why all of a sudden the doco is the only information out there, like all information it comes from my side of the story with one agenda, which is fine but that doesn’t make it the only source of info out there.

Serious question I don’t know the answer to, was Nicky Windmar booed by supporters each week after his famous, iconic and brilliant shirt lifting act.

He was certainly boo'd by the Collingwood faithful. Collingwood president, Alan McAlister defended the supporters' behaviour and explained it wouldn't have happened if Winmar behaved like a white person.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:40 pm

whufc wrote:Just because I didn’t watch the docu does it reflect on me being ignorant

If you watched the doco, you’d know ;) :lol:
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm

Winmar was told to be quiet from the afl and the saints
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby whufc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:48 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:

He was certainly boo'd by the Collingwood faithful. Collingwood president, Alan McAlister defended the supporters' behaviour and explained it wouldn't have happened if Winmar behaved like a white person.

We’ve come a long way since then if that’s what he said, still a long way to go, I just hope this country doesn’t regress
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:02 pm

The documentary didn't show the story from any side, it just showed events as they happened from both sides in the timeline of things happening. It didn't give any more air time to either side of the debate which made it obvious there was only two sides of the debate, racists and those who aren't racist.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby The Big Shrek » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:50 pm

I think part of the problem in this debate is what people understand by the word racist.

A lot of the booers would understand it to mean something done or said with a racist intent. For example the direct insults and banana throwing. They would argue that because their motivation isn’t racist they’re all good.

The contrary position and the one I agree with is that you should consider what consequences your words or actions may reasonably have on a person. If you go ahead and do something that can reasonably taken as offensive then you’re in the wrong and you fall under the umbrella of what can be considered racist.

I understood Goodes’ point regarding the 13 year old girl to be the face of racism in Australia to mean a lot of the racism in Australia to be borne of ignorance rather than intent but that the effect on the person copping it to still be harmful.

It’s very hard to understand why people booed and I’m sure there were a variety of individual reasons. Probably very little of it was done in mind of the person booing because he was aboriginal. But what the booing did was say I don’t give a hoot about how Goodes interpreted it, and in the context of all of the aboriginal issues Goodes had stood up for it was a big **** you to them.

Big lesson was to always try and look at things from other peoples point of view.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby whufc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:02 am

Great post mate!!

Agree with all of that and covers my thoughts better than I could ever explain
whufc
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 pm

Sinclair rules out for the season
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:25 pm

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:He was certainly boo'd by the Collingwood faithful. Collingwood president, Alan McAlister defended the supporters' behaviour and explained it wouldn't have happened if Winmar behaved like a white person.

I hadn't heard that comment until I saw the doco, that one floored me, I know it was a while back but that was truly disgraceful.

It was a very well put together doco, without any current day views or selected interviews to create a certain narrative.

It certainly makes you think and have some self reflection.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:02 pm

woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:07 pm

The club has reached a reached a new membership record this week of 61,671
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:09 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:The club has reached a reached a new membership record this week of 61,671

:lol: :lol:
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:01 am

woodublieve12
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL