Round 5 stuff

Talk on the national game

Round 5 stuff

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:04 pm

Friday night footy has some extra spark this week. Mick Malthouse over takes Jock McHale as the longest serving coach in VFL/AFL history. While the efforts of Malthouse are remarkable, consider this, McHale’s coaching career lasted longer than the average life expectancy of the time. Whether you think Mick is a cranky old bastard, or agree with that statement it doesn’t matter, his effort deserves due recognition. The rumours surrounding him at the moment suggests there may be an announcement on his future in the wind. I hope it’s an announcement made by Eddie McGuire. Some sort of succession plan where Malthouse takes over from Buckley to rebuild the ‘Pies. That’d be fun.

On the field the Blues would be living it up on the back of a win, against St.Kilda, in New Zealand, while the ‘Pies come into the clash with some real form after beating the Bombers on Anzac Day. The old Collingwood 6 footers played well, Seedsman,Swan,Adams,Crisp,Pendles all did their jobs. I can’t see the Carlton form stacking up against Collingwood, or really anyone for that matter. While there’ll be plenty of pomp and ceremony there will only be one real highlight for the night, when Stevo gets to ask Mick “It’s been a long journey, hasn’t it, Mick?” in the 5th quarter presser. Mick will have an extra special look ready for Stevo. I expect the Blues to lift for Mick, but not for long enough to hold out the improving ‘Pies. Bucks has the ‘Pies on the go, whoops, (allegedly) on the go, Collingwood by 42 points.

Saturday at the G and two sides desperate for a win take each other on. The ever disappointing Richmond ( chuckles ) and the rapidly fading Catters. The Catters simply rely on too few to do too much while the Tigers can’t rely on anyone to do anything. Hardwick said it was “bloody horrible”, he needs to learn how to swear properly, there’s plenty of better words to use than “bloody” to describe that. The heat will be on both clubs with a loss here, 2-3 would see Richmond behind where they’d want to be and 1-4 would mean they’re too far behind the pack for the Cats to catch a spot in the 8. Nobody likes writing season on the line stuff in Round 5, unless it’s Geelong and you’re a Port fan. So, season on the line for Geelong on Saturday and I think they know it and I think they’ll win it. One thing they can still do, at least Selwood can still do, is win contested ball, Richmond don’t even bother getting those statistics from Champion Data anymore. Geelong, just, 11 points.

Sydney get back to the harbour city to host the Bulldogs who ran all over a pitiful Crows outfit on Sunday afternoon under the roof while the Swans were delayed arriving into Perth, getting there just in time to play the second half against Fremantle. This will be another stern test for the young Doggies line up. They failed against Hawthorn in Tassie and pumped a side (Adelaide) who are around them on the ladder, this is another look at how far behind the top 4 sides they are. The Swans rarely, if ever, lose two in a row, but a tough one in Perth, the trip home and expected heavy conditions again in Sydney might push the Swans to their physical limits against the fleet of foot Footscray. Say that with an Anzac biscuit in your mouth. The Dogs struggle to hold key big forwards, Sydney have about 9 of them on a $1m a year each. Yeah, I don’t know how either. It’s because Bondi is an expensive place to live and they all have to live there, apparently. Swannies by 33 points.

South East Queensland is being hit by another “East Coast Low”, it’s not a weather system this time, it’s the Brisbane v Gold Coast match up that’s putting a dark cloud over that corner of the country. Neither of the sunny state sides have had a win in 2015, by default one of them will get off the mark this weekend. Brisbane bleed from the back, I should reword that. Brisbane struggle in defence, they’ve got no big men to mark up key forwards from the opposition and battle to score at the other end. Doesn’t read well for them, does it? Meanwhile the Suns are high on most people’s list as the most disappointing side early in 2015. Many thought they were finals bound, their CEO said premiership bound, now they seem to be rebuilding bound. This one is a tipsters nightmare, luckily I’m no tipster so there’s no waking up in cold sweats for me. I can’t see Brisbane kicking anywhere near enough goals to beat the Suns. With or without Ablett the Suns will break their 2015 duck this weekend. Goldy lads by 21 points.

North battled it out over Geelong last week, beating a side they should have beaten. The Scott brothers enjoyed the day together, they played a trick on everyone and swapped their shirts at half time, nobody knew, nobody really cared, not ever their Mum. Hawthorn were simply blitzed by Port in Adelaide where some plonker from Hackham took it upon himself to make all Adelaide folk look like fools. If you’ve been to Hackham you’ll know it’s only a small cross section of Adelaide and we aren’t all like that. A bit like Dandenong. I guess he also learnt that Clarkson has a short fuse, something the rest of the football world has known for decades. Hawthorn have lost 2 of their last three, they’ve lost Brian Lake for several weeks, Paulo Puopolo pinged a quad and their smarts at both ends will be missed. This shapes as another tight tussle. It’s hard to back against the Hawks, especially after their second half form against Port. That form reads better than beating Geelong, Hawks by 19 points.

West Coast smashed the Lions up in Brisbane, which isn’t very difficult, while the Giants made a mess of the Suns in Canberra last weekend, which wasn’t really a surprise. The Eagles host the Giants in Perth this weekend and I like this match up. A win for the Eagles and they’ll think season alive and well at 3-2 while the Giants could be 4-1 and solid in the top half of the ladder, probably a year or two ahead of schedule for them. The GWS lads will also be thrilled at the opportunity to head to Perth as a group. They love the colouring books and pencils the cabin crew give them in flight, they never get a chance to finish them on the short trip to Melbourne though. I can see the Giants taking it right up to the Weagles here, while the Weagles have a top shelf forward line they are a little thin in the midfield, right where GWS seem to have most sides covered. I’m going the outsider here, I’m thinking the Giants can head West and take the points. The Giants by 19 points.

Melbourne made the most of their Friday night “block buster” against Richmond, smashing the Tigers in close and holding them at bay when the rain came, while the Purple Army gave it to Sydney early before once again stopping in their tracks after half time. Much of that to do with Sydney’s pressure, some to do with the Dockers being 10 goals in front. Melbourne have improved this year, without question while Fremantle remain the only undefeated side. The Dees have showed some real ticker over the last two weeks, their long, long, long, long, long suffering fans would be happy with the progress they have seen in season 2015,but, I can’t see the Dees beating the Dockers, I can see them making them earn it though. With KFC proudly sponsoring the inaugural “Colin Sylvia Bucket” where the two sides Sylvia has been contracted to fight it out for a 22 piece bucket. Somewhere either above or below the daily calorie intake of Sylvia. You would think Fremantle remain undefeated, but they’ll have to really earn this one. Fremantle by 24 points.

St Kilda and Essendon are both capable of producing downright ugly stuff. St Kilda with their “football” and Essendon with Joe Daniher and his “moustache”. I use the “ “ in both instances as neither of them really represent the words I’ve used to describe them. St Kilda went across the ditch hopeful of adding some Kiwi members to their books, they plan to get 10,000 Kiwis on board as members....*thud*.....sorry, just picking myself up off the ground. My sides were under duress while I was trying to stay upright. Any who, the Saints lost to Carlton, not a great form line. The Bombers dropped one to the ‘Pies, not overly surprising given they have been in and out of matches in the first 3 weeks. Essendon couldn’t get into the match early against the ‘Pies, other than Dustin Fletchers goals from the centre square ( which took us back to his young days, you know, around 1973 ) the Bomber faithful didn’t have much to cheer about. They’ll have plenty to cheer about this week. Essendon by lots. 54 points.

The last match of the round might just be the match of the round. Adelaide set chins wagging with their form in the first 3 weeks, taking the top of the table spot after three weeks and three solid wins, then it all fell apart under the roof against the Dogs. Adelaide were simply uncompetitive, other than Thompson and Jacobs the playing group would have been very disappointed with their efforts. Phil Walsh said if they lost contested ball they’d walk off the end of a jetty. Unfortunately they just waded out waist deep at Henley Beach. Apologies to all those innocent victims who fell into Gulf St Vincent after the end of all of Adelaide’s metro jetty’s collapsed under them. That booby trap wasn’t meant for you. Seems I wasted my time. Port hosted Hawthorn and some pundits have described the first 30 minutes as some of the most exciting, irresistible, exhilarating, titillating, breathtaking football they have seen for years. Ok, some of those words were mine. It was though, outstanding. Every forward thrust resulted in a goal, at $13 for the first goal kicker I was pretty happy it was the Chad! Port have built some momentum over the last two weeks while Adelaide need to show something by bouncing back from the loss to the Dogs. The 19th man will be in full voice this week, every likely hood you’ll be able to hear them from all the way outside the ground at various stages. I think Port are in better nick having been through a tough month of finals like footy. Port by 22 points.

Take that for what it’s worth. Last week got you 6 winners.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7450 times
Been liked: 10717 times

Re: Round 5 stuff

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Coincidence Malthouse breaks the record against Collingwood

Nothing like controlling every aspect of the game including the midweek story lines

;)

Always enjoy ur previews Boonet much better than anything main stream media does
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5551 times
Been liked: 2513 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby stan » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:40 pm

whufc wrote:Coincidence Malthouse breaks the record against Collingwood

Nothing like controlling every aspect of the game including the midweek story lines

;)

Always enjoy ur previews Boonet much better than anything main stream media does

Its not a coincidence because the AFL asked him who he wantu to come up against when he broke it.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1252 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:44 pm

stan wrote:

;)

Its not a coincidence because the AFL asked him who he wantu to come up against when he broke it.

I bet he wish he said Brisbane

Could do with another win
whufc
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:45 pm

whufc wrote:
stan wrote:

;)

Reckon the Blues are a chance this week
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4432 times
Been liked: 2976 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:50 pm

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:
stan wrote:

;)

Reckon the Blues are a chance this week

Agree

What are Collingwood and Essendons records backing up from the huge ANZAC day clash
whufc
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:29 pm

They usually aren't flash but thats generally because ANZAC day falls midweek and only have a few days turnaround. This week both Carlton and Collingwood have 6 days. Pies should win by 5-6 goals minimum
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Booney » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Jim05 wrote:They usually aren't flash but thats generally because ANZAC day falls midweek and only have a few days turnaround. This week both Carlton and Collingwood have 6 days. Pies should win by 5-6 goals minimum

Was just about to come and say the same thing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:12 pm

The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 142 times

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:28 pm

Thought this would have got more likes than this by now
The death penalty can never be excused as it allows a state a means by which it can pick and choose who is fit to live and who isnt
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Postby Brodlach » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:45 pm

Coach Bombay wrote:Thought this would have got more likes than this by now

More than......none?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4189 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:54 pm

Sorry, I was busy drinking my own bath water...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5440 times
Been liked: 5079 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Coach Bombay » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Brodlach wrote:

More than......none?

Yeah not sure what that's about. At least on Facebook you can like your own material. Took me ages to make too.
Coach Bombay
League - Top 5

Postby bennymacca » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:43 pm

average :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby carey » Fri May 01, 2015 9:00 am

There you go coach......
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2791 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2015 9:04 am

It would be much, much more effective in the "Look-a-likes" thread.... ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby nuggety goodness » Fri May 01, 2015 9:26 am

Booney wrote:It would be much, much more effective in the "Look-a-likes" thread.... ;)

Speaking of that... who moves threads?

I posted one for here but it ended up in the soccer threads... mods to the rescue please...?
I am not talking to you for 3 minutes because you punched me in the head and it hurt and that was not okay for you to do
nuggety goodness
League - Top 5

Has liked: 329 times
Been liked: 219 times
Grassroots Team: Ovingham

Postby Booney » Fri May 01, 2015 12:51 pm

What, if anything, can be read into Brisbane dropping James Aish?

Highly talented youngster who is yet to commit to the club.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Fri May 01, 2015 1:03 pm

Booney wrote:What, if anything, can be read into Brisbane dropping James Aish?

second time for the year he has been dropped i think. unsure of his final stats but i heard he only had 7 possies to HT last week
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Jim05 » Fri May 01, 2015 1:04 pm

Booney wrote:What, if anything, can be read into Brisbane dropping James Aish?

Hasnt had a great season, struggling a bit.
Probably doesnt help with speculation he is leaving
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3533 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Next

Board index   Football  AFL