The last little one..round 13ish

Talk on the national game

The last little one..round 13ish

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:56 pm

It’s getting harder to come up with anything even mildly amusing in regards to how far Perth is behind us, the early starts etc and now they go and throw a Thursday night game in the West at me.

Fremantle did what they had to up on the Gold Coast before the weekend off, it was hardly convincing as the Suns kept themselves in the match right up until the last few minutes and it was some Fremantle grit in defence that got them the four points and kept them atop of the ladder. Keep in mind the Dockers had 23 shots to 11 and only got over the line by 7 points, the Suns can probably count themselves lucky they were as close as they were. Collingwood probably gave us the best indication yet that they are somewhere near genuine as they took care of the Giants by 7 goals. The Giants were decimated by injury in the game with the big Mummy unravelled, Philthy Phil Davis copping another bad injury and Joel Patful going down leaving them short and undermanned, either way the ‘Pies continued in their high scoring form and put themselves a game clear in fourth spot.

So a top 4 clash in Perth tonight and the hosts bring in Mayne and de Boer, a couple of handy inclusions to the top of the table team. Collingwood boast the competitions 3rd most productive forward line and we all know the scrooges in Purple have the best defence. So, like all games it’s “Yeah, nah, I think this one will be won in the midfield”. And won’t it be a cracking match up. Fyfe and his mates with Pendles and his up and coming kids crew replacing the old Rat Pack. Collingwood, like Richmond, have the key forwards to stretch the Dockers defence, with Cloke firing and Jesse White starting to offer consistent efforts (finally!) the ‘Pies can perhaps take advantage of this by isolating Alex Pearce or Sutcliffe against the big men by dragging McPharlin phar and wide. The biggest of big jobs falls to Witts who needs to battle the big Sandy lands in the ruck with some support from White.

I reakon were in for a good one tonight, I’ll have thirsty Thursday at the local first so the result really won’t matter to me, I’ll enjoy my night either way. The Dockers dropped their last home game to a top 8 contender, I think they’ll be set to win this one but I have a feeling the Magpie army will have their chances. Fremantle, 11 points.

Friday night and the Swannies are at the end of the North line with the Tigertrain coming into station, the Tigers were a little shocked by the Eagles last Friday night, the Tiges couldn’t bust through the Weagles zone and this week they need to try and break through the Swans press. Alex Rance signed on during the week, obviously thinking loyalty is more important than premierships and a holiday. He can always holiday when footy is finished and look back at his premierships....yes, I was laughing when I typed it. The Swans held off the Kangas before the break in trademark workman like fashion and they spent the bye discussing a 6 year deal with Dan Hannebery. I know Sydney people think it’s the capital of the world, well it must be the accounting capital of the world the way they juggle numbers to sign big names to long deals.

Looking at numbers for this game shows a very even match up, points for within 3 goals of each other and points against the same after 11 games. A few stats differ by plenty though, hit outs, contested possessions and tackles. Sydney do more of them all and I think we’d all agree with me that they do them all better. With all of that Sydney average over 30 more touches a game, like having an extra midfielder out there. Like they need one. So the Tigers will be up against it in the middle with Cotch and Dusty needing to keep their numbers up where they are. Neck tattoo’s aside, Dusty is a pleasure to watch in a footballing sense, he’s strong and skilful and doesn’t mind getting amongst it when things get angry bargy. He’s alright for a Tiger.

The Tigers had the footy world sit up and pay attention a few weeks back when they rolled the previously unbeaten Dockers at home on FNF, I don’t think they have two top two beating performances in them. They might, but the Swans are a well oiled machine who are very tough to beat. Sydney in another match that promises to be a ripper by 19 points.

The Gold and White Power Rangers came to Adelaide last week and blasted the Crows while the Bombers had the weekend off, they sure looked like they needed it. For one, Golden James looked like his tan was thinning and a well deserved break for “personal development / Northern hemisphere sunshine” was on the cards. I bet he’s glowing this week.

Despite the Hawks looking appalling in their shiny gold outfits they played their own brand of “unsocial” football. Well, excuse them for not wanting to sit around a create some small talk with their opponents, that’s not what football is about. A few punters grizzled about the odd bump or a little jab to the guts here and there, it’s big boy football so put the big boy pants on and get on with it I say and nobody makes you feel less welcome on the field than the Hawks. The Bombers meanwhile literally limped into the bye and I feel that one week off won’t be anywhere near enough to have them with any pep in their step. The back half of the season is going to be painful for Bombers fans I think, not as painful as the last 3 years, but painful to watch as they struggle to keep mentally and physically fresh.

Meanwhile the Hawks keep setting the standard for ball use from defence with one bloke seemingly missing many punters attention, Shaun Burgoyne. I was gutted when he left Port, his silky smooth skills and ball use are absolute top notch and he’s turned into the Hawks Mr.Fixit. Trouble in defence? Send Burgoyne....midfield strife? Off he goes. Need a goal? There he is. He’s just signed on to go around again next year that’s good news for the Hawks who have got a handful of over 30’s still playing at the level required. He sets the standard IMO.

No need to look into the numbers for this one. It will be one sided at best. The Hawks by 53 points.

Brisbane surprised many with their first half against the Bulldogs last week then the second half would have been too much to bear for some Brisbane fans. 14 goals to 6 after half time and the Doggies carry on their merry way. Adelaide hosted the Power Rangers and whilst they showed they are capable of matching the top sides in plenty of areas they also showed they still have some homework to hand in from the last year or two. Giving sides a lead and then pegging it back is a taxing style and Adelaide have been doing this too often over the last couple of years. Perhaps skill errors that seem to be the biggest talking point at Adelaide ( other than Particks signature, geez, I can’t wait to hear more about that again this afternoon, tonight, tomorrow morning....) are a result of the effort they have to exert to get back into the games after a slow start. Last week the Hawks had 6 goals in the first half hour.

With Brisbane really without any key forwards young McStay has stepped up to give them a target in the F50, he’s 194cm and 88kg so he’s no slip of a lad but he’s small on games played and senior experience with just 18 games under his belt, some more time into this lad and some sorely needed support might just see him turn into a genuine key forward option. I like the look of him.

So Adelaide get two mid season breaks, one last weekend to hit some sun and surf and this week they head up to get some more warmth in the North. The last time Adelaide went to ‘Vegas they busted the Bears a new one with a massive win away from home. I don’t see this one being quite so one sided but still expect Adelaide to show they are more about playing finals than not. Skipper Tex has a little bruise that might keep him out, ok, it’s not a little bruise it would be as sore as hell, I can’t see them risking him away from home where a flight there and back would not really help a corky like he’s sporting. Jacobs will have some opposition in Stefan Martin who is one of the few Lion recruits of late to be really worth his weight. Some newer arrivals like Christensen, Robinson and Beams will be more than handy inclusions but they have literally just got off the plane. Brisbane have yet to get the best out of them.

Adelaide comfortably, if they’re serious, by 39 points.

‘Aint Kilda had the weekend off while the Doggies did the Bears. The ‘Aints had more than a touch of divine intervention when the Demons fell apart in the last minute to give the Saints a two point victory what seems like a month ago. Finger pointing a plenty but ultimately the Saints kept fighting as the Dee’s went in circles. The Dogs have got back into some reasonable form after a rough patch and sitting in 9th spot with a winnable game ahead of them have a chance to put a gap between them and the pretenders. The $1m man in Tom Boyd had his best haul ever with 4 goals against the Lions and looks to be offering a glimpse of what the Dogs have already paid for....paid for well in advance, years or service and plenty of goals are owed by the big man to the Dogs.

Both sides are in the bottom half dozen for disposals, the Saints are bottom for clearances but in the top 6 for marks inside 50. The Saints big men are making the most of what ball they do get to look at by marking and converting when they get a chance. The Bullies tackle and offer more 1%’ers so the pressure they apply to sides seems to get handled by the top sides but the bottom, younger teams seem to battle with it. I think the Dogs pressure on the ball will break the Saints down and see the points head to Whitten Oval.

The Doggies by 17 points.

Carlton won last week. Haven’t written that yet this year, I only started the previews in about round 5. How? By being harder at the body and ball than Port Adelaide and doing everything they could possible do on any occasion to keep the ball moving forward. The 27,000 at the G last week sounded like 80,000 with all the Blue baggers in full voice. Regular readers will recall Nanna Boon went over for that one, think of her for a moment. The Suns battled against the Dockers a fortnight ago but ultimately feel short despite some improved effort. With a couple of players getting out of the sick bay at GC High School they can expect a better showing across the second half of the year.

The Blues have taken to Micks sacking like a gold digger to a cheap Dr Edelston purple suit and look to be enjoying their footy after a pretty average month or two, no wonder, things would have been pretty bleak at Visy Board Park for a while there as loss after loss mounted on the bickering coach and board. *Phew* Mick’s gone, we can move on and that they have. Albeit a 10 goal loss in the first match post-Malthouse ( in Sydney to Sydney ) then a 9 point loss to Adelaide where they had their chances before out gunning Port in a high scoring affair. ( 110-106 ). The question is how long can this renewed enthusiasm keep them in matches until the pointy end of the last quarter? Kruezer has been a very handy inclusion as noted last week, Cripps, Bell and Doucherty are part of a group that look to have something about them. Casboult is a target and they need to do what they can to keep Henderson.

For the Suns Saad, Hallahan and Schade have been given some game time ahead of schedule and have given a bit, Saad the most promising.

I’m going out on a limb here, I think Carlton can go back to back. Carlton by 15 points. I’m now going to go have a cold shower and question every decision I’ve ever made.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Re: The last little one..round 13ish

Postby am Bays » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:25 pm

You backing Port or the Bye this weekend mate?
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:26 pm

it feels so dirty to be tipping carlton
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:40 pm

bennymacca wrote:it feels so dirty to be tipping carlton

Then don't, I give the Suns a real good chance.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:42 pm

If it was at the Gold Coast I think I would have.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:43 pm

am Bays wrote:You backing Port or the Bye this weekend mate?

I think the below should give you sufficient cause to understand my stance :

**** off you ******* ****** ****.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10754 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:48 pm

Hopefully the Pie boys are thirsty for a crack at a quality opponent and play accordingly. Will be shattered if they lay down like they did against Geelong and Adelaide.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby stan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:19 pm

bennymacca wrote:If it was at the Gold Coast I think I would have.

Carlton are not playing horrible at the moment. They were good against Adelaide and better against Port. I would say they are a damn good chance this weekend.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Feenix » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:50 pm

Spargo wrote:

Depends if GAJ plays
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby stan » Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:04 pm

Feenix wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Depends if GAJ plays

He would take a few to get back into it but you do make a good point.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Keefy » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:04 pm

stan wrote:
Feenix wrote:
Spargo wrote:

Depends if GAJ plays

He would take a few to get back into it but you do make a good point.

GAJ already ruled out
Keefy
League - Best 21

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 181 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby Spargo » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:19 pm

Won't matter - get on the Suns.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5456 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby carey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Umpires are starting to really shit me. Sidebottom does a 720 on the wing whilst being tackled then Mayne is held for 2 seconds and its holding the ball!
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:22 pm

Collingwood getting a serious run from the umpires
Currently 9-2
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Sandilands is so disappointing when it comes to marking overhead. He should just own that layer of atmosphere, and Freo should be able to rely on him resting in a pocket and clunking marks as he pleases.
A great Docker, no doubt, but could've been so much more.
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby carey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:29 pm

helicopterking wrote:Collingwood getting a serious run from the umpires
Currently 9-2

I swear these Umpires are Collingwood members!
carey
Coach

Postby carey » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:46 pm

Look how f**ked the modern game is you break from have back and can't go any where as 35 players are behind you. What a f**king joke we've turned the greatest game in the world to bullshit.
carey
Coach

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:54 pm

carey wrote:
Currently 9-2

Boohoo, about time we got a good run.
Q.
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:57 pm

Q. wrote:
carey wrote:
Currently 9-2

It's just surprising that Collingwood are getting their usual run in Perth tho.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 666 times

Postby Q. » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:03 pm

helicopterking wrote:
Q. wrote:
carey wrote:
Currently 9-2

It's just surprising that Collingwood are getting their usual run in Perth tho.

Our usual run? We're ranked 17th in free kicks free for. Try again.
Q.
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL