Port Adelaide 2016

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2016

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:42 pm

Hate Port v Hawthorn matches. Barracking for Port Adelaide goes against everything I believe in.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:43 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Hate Port v Hawthorn matches. Barracking for Port Adelaide goes against everything I believe in.

regards,

REB

#youareportadelaide
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7511 times
Been liked: 10806 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:44 pm

Booney wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Hate Port v Hawthorn matches. Barracking for Port Adelaide goes against everything I believe in.

regards,

REB

#youareportadelaide

#iamgeelongandanyonewhoplayshawthorn

:)
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:10 am

Beautiful showmanship and tactics pre match by Clarko, he knew if the game was fast paced and open Port would have the advantage, so he challenged them to an arm wrestle and Port fell for it. Brilliant.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2330 times
Been liked: 3549 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:31 am

Dutchy wrote:Beautiful showmanship and tactics pre match by Clarko, he knew if the game was fast paced and open Port would have the advantage, so he challenged them to an arm wrestle and Port fell for it. Brilliant.

yes and no. In the first half, esp. the first quarter, Port were running and gunning and hawks could not catch them, it was Ports poor disposal that let them down.
2nd half played right into Hawks plans though I agree.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2624 times
Been liked: 1858 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:35 am

Dutchy wrote:Beautiful showmanship and tactics pre match by Clarko, he knew if the game was fast paced and open Port would have the advantage, so he challenged them to an arm wrestle and Port fell for it. Brilliant.

I thought so too. I also wondered if it was about helping an old club, by building the game up to get a few more patrons through the gate - but am also unsure of the relationship between Port and Clarko.

It must be frustrating for Port supporters that they can dish this sort of strong performance up against Hawthorn, game in, game out, but show inconsistency through the rest of the season.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby marbles » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

shultz was ok, but the only time he gets the ball is within 30 metres of goals

whos spot has he taken in the side

he needs to play like riewalt & present right up to the wings

did see him come up the ground at times but seemed like he was tailing dixon, maybe a set plan
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:43 am

MW wrote:

yes and no. In the first half, esp. the first quarter, Port were running and gunning and hawks could not catch them, it was Ports poor disposal that let them down.
2nd half played right into Hawks plans though I agree.

In the first 15 mins Port tried to plan an open game and it was working, few adjustments by Clarko (pushed a few forward up around the ball) and it was a contested game all of a sudden.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:49 am

Dogwatcher wrote:

I thought so too. I also wondered if it was about helping an old club, by building the game up to get a few more patrons through the gate - but am also unsure of the relationship between Port and Clarko.

It must be frustrating for Port supporters that they can dish this sort of strong performance up against Hawthorn, game in, game out, but show inconsistency through the rest of the season.

I thought Port were terrible when the whips were cracking. I have seen a few comments of people saying that Ports effort was good but I don't agree. That wasn't Hawthorns best performance, they were just tougher. A clinical Hawthorn over the last 4 years would have won that game last night by 8-9 goal. Port had enough just before half time and piped up again when the game was gone. I expected far more from Port than that last night.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:33 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

I thought Port were terrible when the whips were cracking. I have seen a few comments of people saying that Ports effort was good but I don't agree. That wasn't Hawthorns best performance, they were just tougher. A clinical Hawthorn over the last 4 years would have won that game last night by 8-9 goal. Port had enough just before half time and piped up again when the game was gone. I expected far more from Port than that last night.

The clinical Hawthorn you speak of lost two matches to Port last season but if you are looking for tough Port I suggest some 1990's SANFL videos of the Magpies. As shown earlier in the year against Geelong, Port don't play the tough card that well. Not because they aren't tough, but because they don't switch on to the football again afterwards.

I thought Port were pretty good tbh. Hawthorn have a system that is difficult to counter and they had an extra 5 days to prepare for this match. Port matched them early because they were fresh but they were never going to run out the game, particularly when Ebert was out and Hartlett and later Boak were also struggling. I reckon your comment sells both sides a little short.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:40 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:

Then they let down your expectations but not those of everyone else. Remember we're still without a genuine ruckman and Ceglar and McEvoy had a day out. 55 hit outs to 24, 41 clearances to 33, but the killer and has been all year, Port had 6 players go at over 80% disposal efficiency, Hawthorn 9, Port had 6 under 60%, Hawthorn 3. Ball use has killed us all year. Our skills, not just when under pressure but out in the open have been terrible.

Logan Austin and Tom Clurey down back with a combined 16 games were ok when it came to stopping their opponents but overwhelmed when it came to creating run or trying to dispose of the ball. Skill errors from these lads cost us at least 3 goals and I'm not going to burn them, we're undermanned down there and they did their best and both showed they have something to offer in the future. Austin I think it developing into a good tall defender, might just need to not back himself with ball in hand but that will come.

Losing Ebert wasn't the deciding factor but I said on the night we won't be a chance without him now. He's wasn't going to be the difference but he's but serviceable when we need someone shutdown and with the Sam on top of Kane in the Mitchell battle we had nobody else to send to either Mitchell or Lewis.

Watching them closely the Hawks zone is water tight. Once they get deep you need to be very clever or brave to get out and at the moment we aren't really either. They will prove to be very hard to beat again, especially if they play two games in Melbourne to make the GF.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:46 am

He probably won't win it, but Trengove deserves Port's best and fairest this year.
He's done a remarkable job in filling out a role for which he's not equipped.
It's been a selfless task.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:49 am

Dogwatcher wrote:He probably won't win it, but Trengove deserves Port's best and fairest this year.
He's done a remarkable job in filling out a role for which he's not equipped.
It's been a selfless task.

Pittard will win it, Trengove will be close and Gray around the mark. You can however give Jacko the Coaches Award now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:06 am

I heard in the post game on the radio that Ollie Wines only had 2 effective kicks for the game, and they were his 2 goals. Disposal efficiency is a major concern.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 450 times
Been liked: 1220 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:16 am

PatowalongaPirate wrote:I heard in the post game on the radio that Ollie Wines only had 2 effective kicks for the game, and they were his 2 goals. Disposal efficiency is a major concern.

25 disposals at 52%, not good enough from a genuinely good player. He's also fallen into calling for the ball when covered or not in a good position, it's good that as a young leader he wants to be ball in hand, he wants to be doing the work for his team but he needs to know when and where to demand the ball.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:45 pm

Code: Select all
Quarter   W   D   L   For   Against   %
1st   7   0   8   51.43 (349)   51.49 (355)   98.31
2nd   8   0   7   55.38 (368)   54.40 (364)   101.10
3rd   6   2   7   51.51 (357)   49.54 (348)   102.59
4th   9   1   5   54.49 (373)   38.40 (268)   139.18
Tot   30   3    27   211.181 (1447)   192.183 (1335)   108.39

Just looking thru Ports quarter by quarter performance and the last quarter is very interesting, the standout is they are only conceeding 17 points average in last quarters this year.

Puts to bed the early thought that the fitness was an issue, however maybe it is?

Does this indicate that they are very fit and they are running out games very strong, however maybe their training regime has been about stamina and not explosiveness that is required early in the games??? Any thoughts?

Be interesting to see ranking points of their stars in a quarter by quarter basis to see if the last quarter is their strength also.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:56 pm

Possibly, sadly, a reflection we're out of the game and the opposition is looking to next week already too.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Arch44 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:47 pm

You got a stat for 3rd quarter centre bounce clearances? That to me was where the game was broken open, very little pressure almost bruise free footy in the 3rd from the guts by port, hawks were a little inaccurate on the scoreboard from it though.
Hogg Shield Div IV 2018 Winner
Arch44
League - Top 5

Has liked: 717 times
Been liked: 272 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm

"bruise free", turn it up, when the ruckman win the hitout to advantage and the Hawks midfield get first look at it there's not much that can be done. Bruise free.... :roll:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:51 pm

Booney wrote:Possibly, sadly, a reflection we're out of the game and the opposition is looking to next week already too.

Yeah I think it could be this too - if the game is dead at 3QT the last quarter is often won by the losing team
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL