North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:05 pm

Most of the Power F/S's going forward would be for players that played for the Power anyway so that ship has probably sailed.

I probably should have been clear that I think if it can be worked so the player is picked at market value it should be kept but like Booney said unless that is the case then it should be scrapped.

For those that think North should have picked Daicos at No.1 and made them accountable you then rob your player of the prestige of the number 1 pick and maybe put doubt in their mind that they weren't the first choice.

I am happy that we went JHF, see how this ages in a couple of years, rather than playing games because of the AFL's stupid rules. Agree that clubs at 2,3 etc should probably keep the bastards honest but again only if that player would fill a need on their list.
Last edited by Zelezny Chucks on Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 66 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:06 pm

whufc wrote:I feel sick sticking up for the SA Clubs but I just don't get how they can justify the rules.
Why is Borlase dad not eligible….did he not play 200 before 1997 but continued to play for the magpies pre 1997 which got him up to 246 games. If so surely common sense should prevail and he could be eligible for the Power.

At the end of 1996 Borlase had not played 200 league games for Port, he had played over 200 but preseason games did not count by the AFL's rules.

The same rule applied to Bryce / Ross Gibbs, was just a ludicrous.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby RB » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:10 pm

In a few years, there'll be no 18 year olds whose fathers played x games before 1997, so fairly soon it will equalise itself.

It was a farce for a while though.

I don't see a problem going forward, so long as clubs are giving up decent value for FS picks.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:38 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:I feel sick sticking up for the SA Clubs but I just don't get how they can justify the rules.
Why is Borlase dad not eligible….did he not play 200 before 1997 but continued to play for the magpies pre 1997 which got him up to 246 games. If so surely common sense should prevail and he could be eligible for the Power.

At the end of 1996 Borlase had not played 200 league games for Port, he had played over 200 but preseason games did not count by the AFL's rules.

The same rule applied to Bryce / Ross Gibbs, was just a ludicrous.

Thought that might have been the case.

On my other question would you give up access to players from Centrals, WWT, Westies etc if it meant you would qualify if you played 100 games for Port Power/Magpies same as the Victorian clubs. Are you aware if Port have ever thrown that negotiation on the table on the AFL???
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:12 pm

It's not just F/S.
It's smart recruiting like Stengle, Stewart, Blitz, O'Connor, Henry, Atkins, etc with more egs going back 20 years that cost us nothing or were rookie drafts.
Even Cameron cost us nothing we virtually only lost Tim Kelly who cost us nothing and has been a dud since.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby gadj1976 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:46 pm

Wedgie wrote:It's not just F/S.
It's smart recruiting like Stengle, Stewart, Blitz, O'Connor, Henry, Atkins, etc with more egs going back 20 years that cost us nothing or were rookie drafts.
Even Cameron cost us nothing we virtually only lost Tim Kelly who cost us nothing and has been a dud since.

The $64 question is, how do you recruit 'smart types' to your club if you are bottom?

Generally speaking (not always) good players will leave for the opportunity of success and look for a team on the up. North are not currently that team.

We went through this by recruiting/enticing (by paying overs to) Daisy Thomas, hardly someone to build a side around.

The off-field is the key to me.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:51 pm

gadj1976 wrote:

The $64 question is, how do you recruit 'smart types' to your club if you are bottom?

Generally speaking (not always) good players will leave for the opportunity of success and look for a team on the up. North are not currently that team.

We went through this by recruiting/enticing (by paying overs to) Daisy Thomas, hardly someone to build a side around.

Most of those I mentioned didn't get interest anywhere else so no choice was made.
Develop a club through smart recruiting (and run that club exceptionally well) then people will want to join.
If you want to develop a team purely from players wanting to go there from other clubs to start your recruiting you'll soon run into salary cap issues and tumble back down the ladder.
And don't rest on your laurels, keep recruiting smartly to compliment those players who choose to join you once you're near the top.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:59 pm

Wedgie wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:

Most of those I mentioned didn't get interest anywhere else so no choice was made.
Develop a club through smart recruiting (and run that club exceptionally well) then people will want to join.
If you want to develop a team purely from players wanting to go there from other clubs to start your recruiting you'll soon run into salary cap issues and tumble back down the ladder.
And don't rest on your laurels, keep recruiting smartly to compliment those players who choose to join you once you're near the top.

Given Geelong's last flag was 11 years ago some would argue near the top isn't where you want to be, you want to be at the top.

Having said that, Geelong win it this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Didn't Geelong also get Cam Guthrie with one of the 1st round compensation picks for Ablett going to the Suns? Despite only having to use a 3rd round pick to get him. F/S the gift that keeps on giving, to some. Sometimes.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 8:12 pm

Have a look at what collingwood have picked up in mid season and rookie drafts.
Its how you identity the talent and a mix of draft picks.

Tell me how Adelaide didn't see Noble, Carmichael, Johnson on their doorstep?
And throw in that Hayes bloke at the saints.

The main draft alone is not the best way to rebuild.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 498 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:01 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Didn't Geelong also get Cam Guthrie with one of the 1st round compensation picks for Ablett going to the Suns? Despite only having to use a 3rd round pick to get him. F/S the gift that keeps on giving, to some. Sometimes.

Nup, we basically got Smedts and Caddy in the Ablett trade.
We picked up Guthrie at 23 in the draft which GWS and GC had over 30 pre draft picks.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:06 am

tigerpie wrote:Have a look at what collingwood have picked up in mid season and rookie drafts.
Its how you identity the talent and a mix of draft picks.

Tell me how Adelaide didn't see Noble, Carmichael, Johnson on their doorstep?
And throw in that Hayes bloke at the saints.

The main draft alone is not the best way to rebuild.

While I agree with you re. Adelaide recruiting, you can't throw names out like that without knowing why clubs didn't take them.

i.e. for Noble, Crows did not have a pick in that mid season draft and no clubs took him in the main draft.
Carmichael is a bit early to say after 2 games :lol: and we havent seen Turner play yet.
Crows took Parnell over Johnson...Parnell is going ok for now and both are way too early to assess.
Jack Hayes was the one both local clubs missed.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:31 am

So hypothetically who do you target from other clubs this year. Let's make a wish list.

I'll start with 4;

Dow from Carlton (he'll be very cheap)
Grundy from Collingwood (Collingwood will pay most of his contract and Goldy will go this off season or next)
Logue & Acres (Freo)

That will help three positional areas they are/will be deficient.

Midfield, Ruck and key backman.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby MW » Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:35 am

gadj1976 wrote:So hypothetically who do you target from other clubs this year. Let's make a wish list.

I'll start with 4;

Grundy from Collingwood (Collingwood will pay most of his contract and Goldy will go this off season or next)
Logue & Acres (Freo)

Not likely.
If getting a $1m per year, Pies would only be taking 2-300k per year of that, not most of it.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:01 am

MW wrote:
gadj1976 wrote:So hypothetically who do you target from other clubs this year. Let's make a wish list.

I'll start with 4;

Logue & Acres (Freo)

Not likely.
If getting a $1m per year, Pies would only be taking 2-300k per year of that, not most of it.

Imagine them paying up to $600k per year ( a quality player ) to have Grundy and Treloar play against them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:11 am

Read this last night and didn't believe it so I went looking to confirm. Oh boy!

North Melbourne 2022 AFL draft ( As of 21/7 )

Pick 1

No 2nd round pick :

In 2021 -
To North
Callum Coleman-Jones
pick #42
pick #47
2022 fourth round pick (Richmond)

To Richmond
Robbie Tarrant
pick #40
2022 second round pick (North Melbourne)

No 3rd round pick :

2021 -
To North
pick #32
pick #52
2022 third round pick (Western Bulldogs) on traded to Collingwood for pick 36 last year ( Miller Bergman )

To Bulldogs -
pick #42
pick #47
2022 third round pick (North Melbourne) currently pick 37

Pick 55, 65, 73

So in this draft they have 1,55,65,73
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:18 am

CCJ is a long term player and will come good and be a good long term decision - we needed a back up plan for Goldy, we also picked up Paul Curtis with one of those picks last year - he has proved already he should have gone in the first round.

Cooper Harvey is expected to be a 2nd rounder this year, so he will slot into that pick.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:18 am

Dutchy wrote:CCJ is a long term player and will come good and be a good long term decision, we also picked up Paul Curtis with one of those picks last year - he has proved already he should have gone in the first round.

Cooper Harvey is expected to be a 2nd rounder this year, so he will slot into that pick.

What pick?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:19 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:CCJ is a long term player and will come good and be a good long term decision, we also picked up Paul Curtis with one of those picks last year - he has proved already he should have gone in the first round.

What pick?

Father Son
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Thu Jul 21, 2022 11:20 am

Pick 1 and a Priority pick and ironically then a bunch of late picks to get Cooper Harvey.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL