North Melbourne

Talk on the national game

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 am

cracka wrote:
Might be wrong, I think Hawthorn & Carlton have had them twice


1st Round Priority Pick history ->

Carlton, Melbourne & Hawthorn have had 3 each

Bulldogs, St Kilda & Collingwood 2

Freo, West Coast, Richmond, Gold Coast all had 1

all of the above picks where in the top 3 and delivered Nick Riewoldt, Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd, Adam Cooney, Brett Deledio, Jarryd Roughhead, Marc Murphy, Dale Thomas, Matthew Kreuzer, Matt Rowell

Other non 1st Round Priority picks include Alex Rance, Luke Shuey & Jack Darling

I dont agree with PP's but when you look at the leg up other clubs have had, its a huge advantage to get this calibre of players into your club.
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42688
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1897 times
Been liked: 2901 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Brodlach » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:16 am

Surprised that Sydney have not had one
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
User avatar
Brodlach
Coach
 
 
Posts: 41410
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:18 pm
Location: Unley
Has liked: 71 times
Been liked: 3275 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:24 am

Brodlach wrote:Surprised that Sydney have not had one

Sydney are like Geelong. They don't bottom out.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach
 
Posts: 7705
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Here
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:35 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Surprised that Sydney have not had one

They don't bottom out.


Very easy when you have an academy, cola and ambassador deals.
Darcy Fogarty Fan Club Member
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6709
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Bum Crack » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:37 am

Armchair expert wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Surprised that Sydney have not had one

They don't bottom out.


Very easy when you have an academy, cola and ambassador deals.

What's Geelong's excuse then?
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach
 
Posts: 7705
Joined: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:20 pm
Location: Here
Has liked: 307 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:46 am

Bum Crack wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Surprised that Sydney have not had one

They don't bottom out.


Very easy when you have an academy, cola and ambassador deals.

What's Geelong's excuse then?


The cents on the dollar property deals they get, everyone knows that.
Darcy Fogarty Fan Club Member
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6709
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:40 pm

Armchair expert wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:
Armchair expert wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:[quote="Brodlach"]Surprised that Sydney have not had one

They don't bottom out.


Very easy when you have an academy, cola and ambassador deals.

What's Geelong's excuse then?


The cents on the dollar property deals they get, everyone knows that.[/quote]And some brilliant F/S selections
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 45259
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1116 times
Been liked: 3162 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:14 pm

That brings up the question, I know this won't be a popular opinion but should the F/S rule be scrapped?

The current system allows clubs to get top picks for next to nothing and completely negates the drafts main purpose of spreading young talent throughout the comp. If Collingwood wanted Nick Daicos enough they should have been made to make a trade at his value not some arbitrary points based on god knows what.

I realise the romanticism of having a son follow in his fathers footsteps but that is a throwback to when it was semi-professional, no other sport in the world bends it's rules to give nepotism a leg up.
User avatar
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 60 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Re: North Melbourne

Postby MW » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:21 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:That brings up the question, I know this won't be a popular opinion but should the F/S rule be scrapped?

The current system allows clubs to get top picks for next to nothing and completely negates the drafts main purpose of spreading young talent throughout the comp. If Collingwood wanted Nick Daicos enough they should have been made to make a trade at his value not some arbitrary points based on god knows what.

I realise the romanticism of having a son follow in his fathers footsteps but that is a throwback to when it was semi-professional, no other sport in the world bends it's rules to give nepotism a leg up.


What's wrong with it?
AFL have brought in the system to allow clubs to pick the F/S player and the club needs to match the points. It has evened it up a little although when you can only give up 5 picks in the 60's and 70's and get a gun it does not make much sense.

Need to keep some tradition and family ties in footy.
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11854
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2194 times
Been liked: 1568 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Dutchy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:29 pm

FS is in SANFL also, its basically the only reason why you can play outside your zone
User avatar
Dutchy
Site Admin
 
 
Posts: 42688
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:24 am
Location: Location, Location
Has liked: 1897 times
Been liked: 2901 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Jim05 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:29 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:That brings up the question, I know this won't be a popular opinion but should the F/S rule be scrapped?

The current system allows clubs to get top picks for next to nothing and completely negates the drafts main purpose of spreading young talent throughout the comp. If Collingwood wanted Nick Daicos enough they should have been made to make a trade at his value not some arbitrary points based on god knows what.

I realise the romanticism of having a son follow in his fathers footsteps but that is a throwback to when it was semi-professional, no other sport in the world bends it's rules to give nepotism a leg up.
Aussie Rules is unique to this country, who cares what other sports around the world do.
I love the F/S rule and eventually all clubs will hopefully pick up a gem for next to nothing
Jim05
Coach
 
 
Posts: 45259
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:03 pm
Has liked: 1116 times
Been liked: 3162 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:30 pm

Clubs need to stop being nice and actually bid on the father sons, North should have bidded on Daicos and Sam Darcy knowing full well their bid would have been matched basically eliminating all the Dogs/Pies picks for the rest of the draft.

The 20% discount for 1st round picks needs to go though.
Darcy Fogarty Fan Club Member
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6709
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:38 pm

Even up F/S rules and I'm all for it. Leave it as it is and it's bullshit.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54288
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6431 times
Been liked: 9524 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:40 pm

MW wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:That brings up the question, I know this won't be a popular opinion but should the F/S rule be scrapped?

The current system allows clubs to get top picks for next to nothing and completely negates the drafts main purpose of spreading young talent throughout the comp. If Collingwood wanted Nick Daicos enough they should have been made to make a trade at his value not some arbitrary points based on god knows what.

I realise the romanticism of having a son follow in his fathers footsteps but that is a throwback to when it was semi-professional, no other sport in the world bends it's rules to give nepotism a leg up.


What's wrong with it?
AFL have brought in the system to allow clubs to pick the F/S player and the club needs to match the points. It has evened it up a little although when you can only give up 5 picks in the 60's and 70's and get a gun it does not make much sense.

Need to keep some tradition and family ties in footy.


I am not sure if you are arguing for or against it? What you have outlined is the exact reason it should be scrapped. Giving up 5 or 6 picks in the 60s, that lets be honest more often than not don't make it, isn't the same as giving up a good player or high picks to get a Number 1 pick.

Nothing stopping tradition and family ties it is just making sure it is an even playing field. If Collingwood deemed Daicos worth it they trade up for him and the club they trade with gets some real quality, as it is now Collingwood get their gun and the rest of the league get jack.
User avatar
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21
 
Posts: 2027
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:57 pm
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 60 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Re: North Melbourne

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:41 pm

Booney wrote:Even up F/S rules and I'm all for it. Leave it as it is and it's bullshit.


Yeah agree.

The father/son concept is great.....its unique and almost the last bit of romance we have left in the game.

Agree though that the structure behind it is uneven and needs fixing to make it fair for all club. Surely they still don't have that rule for the SA clubs making them play more games.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24857
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4673 times
Been liked: 2053 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: North Melbourne

Postby tigerpie » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:41 pm

Collingwood had to do all sorts of wheeling and dealing in order to garner enough points to get Daicos.
You don't get father/sons for next to nothing.....its not that easy.

I can't imagine him going to north.....and nor could he.
It comes with its own risk as not all sons are as good as dad.
Edward's and Jarman's boys come to mind.

Leave the fs rule as it is I say.
tigerpie
League - Top 5
 
 
Posts: 3463
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:00 pm
Has liked: 379 times
Been liked: 326 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Booney » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:49 pm

whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Even up F/S rules and I'm all for it. Leave it as it is and it's bullshit.


Yeah agree.

The father/son concept is great.....its unique and almost the last bit of romance we have left in the game.

Agree though that the structure behind it is uneven and needs fixing to make it fair for all club. Surely they still don't have that rule for the SA clubs making them play more games.


All clubs
A player is eligible if his father played 100 or more senior games for the clubs. In the cases of the two interstate clubs with historic links to Victorian Football League teams, namely the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, the sons of players who appeared 100 times for their Victorian predecessors: the Fitzroy Lions in the case of the Brisbane Lions; and the South Melbourne Football Club in the case of the Sydney Swans.[10]

West Australian and South Australian teams
In addition to the standard eligibility rules, the South Australian and Western Australian clubs have a modified rule in place with eligibility to be determined by a certain number of games played for specific sides in SANFL or WAFL, if those games were played prior to the club entering the AFL.[5][10] Specifically:

The West Coast Eagles could select any player whose father had made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1987 for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco.
Adelaide could select any player whose father made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1991 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt.
Fremantle could select any player whose father has made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1995 for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts.
Port Adelaide can select any player whose father has made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1997 for the Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens.


Stephen Paxman played 102 games for Fitzroy, yet the Brisbane (?) have access to his son via father son.

Darryl Borlase played 246 games for the Port Adelaide Football Club, 4 x premiership player, premiership captain in 1998 and his son is not eligible for F/S.

Seems reasonable?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
User avatar
Booney
Coach
 
 
Posts: 54288
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:47 pm
Location: Alberton proud
Has liked: 6431 times
Been liked: 9524 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby MW » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:50 pm

Short answer is i'm in favour of it just make it a little more expensive for the club to take the F/S rather than dregs from the 4th rd.
MW
Coach
 
 
Posts: 11854
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:55 pm
Has liked: 2194 times
Been liked: 1568 times

Re: North Melbourne

Postby whufc » Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:53 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
Booney wrote:Even up F/S rules and I'm all for it. Leave it as it is and it's bullshit.


Yeah agree.

The father/son concept is great.....its unique and almost the last bit of romance we have left in the game.

Agree though that the structure behind it is uneven and needs fixing to make it fair for all club. Surely they still don't have that rule for the SA clubs making them play more games.


All clubs
A player is eligible if his father played 100 or more senior games for the clubs. In the cases of the two interstate clubs with historic links to Victorian Football League teams, namely the Brisbane Lions and the Sydney Swans, the sons of players who appeared 100 times for their Victorian predecessors: the Fitzroy Lions in the case of the Brisbane Lions; and the South Melbourne Football Club in the case of the Sydney Swans.[10]

West Australian and South Australian teams
In addition to the standard eligibility rules, the South Australian and Western Australian clubs have a modified rule in place with eligibility to be determined by a certain number of games played for specific sides in SANFL or WAFL, if those games were played prior to the club entering the AFL.[5][10] Specifically:

The West Coast Eagles could select any player whose father had made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1987 for Claremont, East Perth, West Perth or Subiaco.
Adelaide could select any player whose father made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1991 for South Adelaide, Norwood, Glenelg or Sturt.
Fremantle could select any player whose father has made 150 WAFL appearances prior to 1995 for East Fremantle, South Fremantle, Perth or Swan Districts.
Port Adelaide can select any player whose father has made 200 SANFL appearances prior to 1997 for the Port Adelaide Magpies, North Adelaide, West Adelaide, Central District, Woodville or West Torrens.


Stephen Paxman played 102 games for Fitzroy, yet the Brisbane (?) have access to his son via father son.

Darryl Borlase played 246 games for the Port Adelaide Football Club, 4 x premiership player, premiership captain in 1998 and his son is not eligible for F/S.

Seems reasonable?


I feel sick sticking up for the SA Clubs but I just don't get how they can justify the rules.

Why is Borlase dad not eligible….did he not play 200 before 1997 but continued to play for the magpies pre 1997 which got him up to 246 games. If so surely common sense should prevail and he could be eligible for the Power.

Genuine question though.....would you give up having access to the blokes from Centrals, WWT etc if it meant Port Power & the Magpies had the exact same rules the VFL club has with the 100 game criteria.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
User avatar
whufc
Coach
 
 
Posts: 24857
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:56 am
Location: Blakeview
Has liked: 4673 times
Been liked: 2053 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: North Melbourne

Postby Armchair expert » Wed Jul 20, 2022 2:01 pm

What picks were given up for

Nick Daicos - 38, 40, 42, 44 picks

Sam Darcy - 34, 42, 43, 44, 45 picks
Darcy Fogarty Fan Club Member
User avatar
Armchair expert
Coach
 
 
Posts: 6709
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:18 am
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 828 times
Grassroots Team: Ports

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests