A sedulous analysis of Round 16

Talk on the national game

Re: A sedulous analysis of Round 16

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:29 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:The biggest problem is the commentators complaining about the umps not understanding the theatre of the game and paying marks like that.

This! Dead right - couldn't believe it last night when that comment came out! pay the mark for theatre? WTF? Is AFL turning into WWE wrestling lol.

Another comment that irked me was "thrown out by Rioli to xx, that's ok though, it was brilliant work" :shock: Oh so because "its brilliant" it becomes ok to throw the ball?*

*note I don't know if there actually was a thrown, they didn't replay, just speaking in relation to the shit commentating
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4012 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:33 am

Zartan wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:The biggest problem is the commentators complaining about the umps not understanding the theatre of the game and paying marks like that.

This! Dead right - couldn't believe it last night when that comment came out! pay the mark for theatre? WTF? Is AFL turning into WWE wrestling lol.

Another comment that irked me was "thrown out by Rioli to xx, that's ok though, it was brilliant work" :shock: Oh so because "its brilliant" it becomes ok to throw the ball?*

*note I don't know if there actually was a thrown, they didn't replay, just speaking in relation to the shit commentating

Ah yes, the Rioli throw is now an official AFL stat called a "rioli" thanks to Hamish
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2617 times
Been liked: 1855 times

Postby am Bays » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:35 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:I think Bruce loves everybody but plays it up beyond belief

Cyril to Lley Lley and Courier into Francesca (can't blame him there)

But it is getting cringeworthy.

Into Cathy https://soundcloud.com/12thmanhq/bruce-2000

Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1814 times

Postby Armytank » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:38 am

Booney wrote:
Spargo wrote:Was Hartlett officially concussed? If so, questions will be asked as to how soon he was able to come back on.
As for the umpiring, I can't recall a worse performance for the season. Truly staggering all night.

Clearly no club takes any chances with concussion in todays game.

The umpiring was truly unbelievable.

Watching from the from row next to the umpires race, Hartlett had no bloody idea what quarter it was when he came off the ground. I was very surprised to see him come back on, and as soon as he started to run he looked wobbly.

I am not saying the medical staff didn't do their job properly, but he did not look his best once he returned to the oval.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 am

Yes, how could I forget

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11868 times
Been liked: 3605 times

Postby saintal » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:39 am

How were the fireworks pre-game? $50K well spent I assume? 8)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 347 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby MW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:40 am

Ironically Hartlett played one of his better games
MW
Coach

Postby stan » Fri Jul 08, 2016 11:51 am

MW wrote:Ironically Hartlett played one of his better games

Just needs some sense knocked into him each game then.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Hawthorn win every major stat and some port supporters blame the umpires for the loss.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3028 times
Been liked: 2404 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Little bit surprised laidler and McGlynn is out for tonight. Good to have papley and Richards back.

But worried tonight will get ugly for us tonight!!!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:23 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Hawthorn win every major stat and some port supporters blame the umpires for the loss.

Who blamed the umpires for the loss? Who on here has said "The umpires are to blame for us losing"?

The umpires were horrid - FACT.. but aren't to blame for Port losing.. nice fishing though.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:30 pm

Zartan wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:Hawthorn win every major stat and some port supporters blame the umpires for the loss.

Who blamed the umpires for the loss? Who on here has said "The umpires are to blame for us losing"?

The umpires were horrid - FACT.. but aren't to blame for Port losing.. nice fishing though.

I said some and I never mentioned anyone on here. I was referring to social media. And that hashtag #freekickhawthorn
Probably should have said that
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:44 pm

Zartan wrote:

Go check out Ports FB page...
MW
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:45 pm

One thing that stood out to me last night (apart from Ports shocking disposal skills), was the amount of times that Hawthorn read the play and then managed to intercept, swat away or partially spoil the ball when Port looked to link up with handballs/kicks.

I thought it was very impressive, I cant recall any side doing it as consistently as the Hawks did last night.
The Bedge
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:46 pm

MW wrote:Go check out Ports FB page...

Haha! Nah, I try and steer clear of Port and Crows FB pages.. SA footballing fans are an interesting breed!
The Bedge
Coach

Postby MW » Fri Jul 08, 2016 12:55 pm

Zartan wrote:One thing that stood out to me last night (apart from Ports shocking disposal skills), was the amount of times that Hawthorn read the play and then managed to intercept, swat away or partially spoil the ball when Port looked to link up with handballs/kicks.

I thought it was very impressive, I cant recall any side doing it as consistently as the Hawks did last night.

Charlie Dixon should not be allowed outside the 50m arc and only kick when going for goal
MW
Coach

Postby Armytank » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Question - Why are Hawthorn allowed to continually interfere with the man on the mark PRIOR to "play on" being called?

They have been doing this all year, but it is against the rules. You cannot shepherd the man on the mark until play on is called.

I can't believe both the umpiring panel and all the other clubs have not picked this up.

Hawthorn get so many kicks with zero pressure and/or 20-30m free running play on from this tactic.
I hate Full Back.....................
Armytank
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 21 times
Grassroots Team: Ironbank

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:06 pm

Zartan wrote:One thing that stood out to me last night (apart from Ports shocking disposal skills), was the amount of times that Hawthorn read the play and then managed to intercept, swat away or partially spoil the ball when Port looked to link up with handballs/kicks.

That's because they were too slow often with ball movement. Hawthorn were good in many aspects around the contested area but too many kicks, handballs ect were released that split second too late or the disposal had no heat on it. On many occasions Port had the spread on the cards but just went down the line instead.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 742 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Armytank wrote:Question - Why are Hawthorn allowed to continually interfere with the man on the mark PRIOR to "play on" being called?

They have been doing this all year, but it is against the rules. You cannot shepherd the man on the mark until play on is called.

I can't believe both the umpiring panel and all the other clubs have not picked this up.

Hawthorn get so many kicks with zero pressure and/or 20-30m free running play on from this tactic.

Here's a few more.

1. Why are Hawthorn defenders allowed to get caught with the ball without being pinging HTB? I've got no issues with the Cyril one being given at the end of the quarter but surely it should have been a free kick against Gibson earlier in the game.

2. Why is Sam Mitchell allowed to continuously throw the ball?

3. When are we going to see the end of the review system? I'm not a fan of this technology and the way it slows down the game?

4. When are teams going to either stop going the biff against Hawthorn or learn to focus on the footy afterwards? No one does the rough stuff then switch on to the game again better than the Hawks. Port did exactly what North did and Clarko played this beautifully.

The third quarter was a joke. The umpires had no idea and were paying shockers both ways. No good telling the players to 'relax' when the umpires are guessing half the time and plucking **** knows what out of **** knows where. You umpires are in control of the game so control it, it's not a ******* counseling session exert your authority with decent decisions.

Port tried hard but aren't at Hawthorn's level yet and nothing is more dangerous than a Hawk with something to prove. However, I became very frustrated at the rugby union levels of whistleblowing during that third quarter. Let them play FFS. More than one of my friends switched off during the third. If that's what the AFL is after mission accomplished.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:28 pm

Booney wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Reckon questions need to be asked of Ports medical staff, Hartlett was clearly concussed, i guess no way will they rule him out with Ebert already out of the game

What a ridiculous comment.

How so? Clearly concussed or at least showed signs and they didnt even do the 20 min concussion test. Complete disregard for the players welfare. Not only do you have a bunch of scrubbers running around on field, the incompetence has spread to off field

Good call from the sofa.

Not often do I agree with daisy but I thought Hartlett was concussed as well. His comment 'I was seeing stars there for a while but with Ebo down I had to get out there' was pretty telling. He went for the ears straight away to check for claret and he was walking around in circles at first and took some time to get his 'legs' back.

I'm not going to have a pot shot at your medicos though as they'd know just a touch more than myself about medicine. :)

regards,

'Dr' REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1819 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL