Volta vinte e um ( Round 21 )

Talk on the national game

Volta vinte e um ( Round 21 )

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:19 am

Another weekend where the only thing riding on the outcome of several contests is position in the upcoming draft. As such, I won’t dwell on them for long, unless I think of something very, very funny and it’s unlikely after all this time that I’ll come up with anything like that.

Western Bulldogs v Collingwood –

The Dogs got over the Roos last week despite their chronic injury list, might have given themselves a chance to host an early final under the roof. The Pies simply can’t be trusted and the bastards killed my weekend multi before last weekend even started.

The Dogs with far too much to play for, the Pies with nothing to play for. Dogs by 39.

Brisbane v Carlton –

Carlton by 12.

Hawthorn v North Melbourne –

The smallest of chinks in the armour last weekend, the Hawks missed Frawley down back and the loss of Stratton early (a much under rated player and one very important to the Hawks back half) left the back half in a shambles. The Demons moved the ball quickly from defence and caught the Hawks back off guard.

Just when people go to write them off they bring Frawley, Puopolo, Shiels, Hartung and Burton ( on debut ) into the side. Stratton missing for a month with a torn pectoral, Siciliy out with a MRP issue and three dropped. Just getting some important players back at the right time, Poppy especially.

The Kangas had righted the ship with wins over Collingwood and St Kilda, but once again fell to a fellow top a contender last weekend. The under manned Bulldogs keeping the Roos to just 7 goals under the roof and making sure they sit in 8th place and will most likely stay there.

The first trip to the MCG for the Roos in 2016, the 8th for the Hawks. Good ins for the Hawks, will be too strong and haven’t lost two in a row since early 14 and haven’t lost two in a row at the G since 2010. Hawks by 14 points.

GWS v West Coast –

Another battle of two 2016 finalists but it doesn’t shape up as thriller with the Eagles having to get on a plane, which is always a concern. The Giants are still in touch with the top 4 and the possibility of a home final in week one is well and truly alive, might be just what the “club” needs to make a real mark in the western Sydney market place. Looking pretty settled especially down back where Davis has got a string of matches together, he’s a leader they’ll need in September with Shaw also very important.

The Eagles, well, they’re pretty lame away from home and heading off to Spotless I expect that to continue. Numbers suggest the Giants will beat the Eagles up in contested ball situations and get more I50’s because of it. Can’t see the Eagles stopping the Giants who had a good hit out over the Suns last weekend.

The Giants love Spotless, the Eagles won’t. Giants by 35 points.

St Kilda v Sydney –

Last chance saloon for the Sainters here, cuttla games behind the Roos ( and %age ) and a loss here will be it, thus, this will be it. The Swans warmed up for September by thrashing the listless Port Adelaide in Sydney last week and on top of their big win over the Dockers the week before look to be gaining momentum at the right time.

The Swans here, in a rare visit to the Dome, where they have won their last 9. Sydney by 25 points.

Port v Melbourne –

Very, very average last week. Some big names did next to nothing, some others did less. Gray and Ebert will have the spotlight on them this week, as too will Lobbe who comes back into the side and young Jesse Palmer ( who I rate highly ) will make his debut. Even though Port have been down on numbers this year the coaching staff have made him earn his call up. Ports skills have been shit house all year and turning the ball over to this Melbourne midfield will add to the misery of those of us who have invested financially and more importantly emotionally in this club this year. Melbourne will kill us if we hand it to them in the middle.

A real sign of improvement for the Demons taking the scalp of the top side, Gawn is now the best big man in the competition in my view, he’s taken over from Goldstein who has slowed with a knee complaint. Gawn wins lots of ball with 14 touches, 4 marks and a goal per game to go with 4 tackles and 42 hitouts, makes him the games #1 ruckman. He dominated Lobbe in NAB 2 at Elizabeth Oval and it was a sign of things to come for both big men.

Melbourne will be ferocious at the body and ball, I don’t know what Port will bring. Melbourne by 16 points and the betting is giving you $2.60 on Melbourne. $1.50 for Port. That’s wrong.

Essendon v Gold Coast –

Gold Coast by 40 points.

Richmond v Geelong –

Geelong by 48 points.

Fremantle v Adelaide –

Won’t be pretty this one. Fremantle shut up shop a month ago and Adelaide are smashing anyone who isn’t up to scratch. Certainly hasn’t hurt Adelaide getting 18th, 17th and 16th on the ladder in the last 3 weeks. Tough draw indeed.

Adelaide will belt them, Fremantle are very ordinary in defence at the moment. Adelaide by 55 points at best, for Fremantle.
Last edited by Booney on Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Re: Volta vinte e um ( Round 21 )

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:41 am

Dogs, even though they are the walking wounded should beat Pies
Carlton, 60+, would hope the Lions show something
Hawks 25+
GWS 40+ over the jet lagged eags
Cracker of a match here, but Sydney looking forward to September should get the job done here.....just
Melbourne to continue with their good form over the Powaaa
The Dons are a sneaky hope against the Sun's, but the Sun's should be winning unconvincingly
Cats by 60+
Crows to get the job done out west
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:48 am

I got a feeling the crows may drop one this week... Whether it's wishful thinking or I expect freo to finally put a decent fight up I am not sure. This game will be closer than most people think imo
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby JK » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:18 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I got a feeling the crows may drop one this week... Whether it's wishful thinking or I expect freo to finally put a decent fight up I am not sure. This game will be closer than most people think imo

Ive been thinking similarly .. Crows need to jump out of the blocks like your mob did, the longer it goes, the harder it should get for the Dockers. Dont know that Im brave enough to tip Freo, but I give them some sort of chance. (for some weird inexplicable reason)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4461 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby helicopterking » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:21 pm

Ross Lyon has no interest in winning.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby Brodlach » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:25 pm

Sandilands vs O'Brien is an interesting matchup, Sandi should have a bit of extra touch after his game back last week. I really rate ROB

Just depends on whether Freo want to win too
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:25 pm

Brown and Thompson out for the Kangaroos.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby carey » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:15 pm

Booney wrote:Brown and Thompson out for the Kangaroos.

Brown hurts the Roo's but Thompson doesn't they may bring in an accountable defender now.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby MW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:19 pm

No Thompson? Only Firrito left to pretend they're a tough guy in the NM defence now
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Booney » Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:34 pm

MW wrote:No Thompson? Only Firrito left to pretend they're a tough guy in the NM defence now

He's too ******* stupid to know or be told he isn't.

At least with Thompson out they get the average age of the side under 30.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Corona Man » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:14 pm

FWIW

Dogs
Blues
Hawks
Giants
Swans
Pear
Suns
Cats
Crows
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1279 times
Been liked: 3488 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby MW » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:17 pm

Not sure on the comment re. Crows draw Booney.
When the draw was released, Essendon were expected to challenge for the eight and Freo were definitely a walk up top 4 side.
Then we've got Port who again were expected to be top 8 if not top 4 and then WCE.
They way its panned out has certainly helped so far, but Freo over there is always tough, and showdowns can be anyones guess.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:05 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:I got a feeling the crows may drop one this week... Whether it's wishful thinking or I expect freo to finally put a decent fight up I am not sure. This game will be closer than most people think imo

I got a feeling the Swans may drop one this week. Whether it's wishful thinking or I expect the Saints to play just as well as they normally do at Ethiad while maybe this time the Swannies won't as they normally do pretty well at this venue. I sense a a Banana skin for the Swannies.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:07 pm

People are tipping Geelong by eight or ten goals. Nope, try about five goals. We just aren't efficient up forward. Defensively we go ok but we won't be scoring 15-18 goals to win by eight to ten goals. Won't happen.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:04 pm

JK wrote:

Ive been thinking similarly .. Crows need to jump out of the blocks like your mob did, the longer it goes, the harder it should get for the Dockers. Dont know that Im brave enough to tip Freo, but I give them some sort of chance. (for some weird inexplicable reason)

Freo had a good game against us here earlier in the year when the were travelling badly. Was at that game & they outplayed us for the first half & should have been well ahead if it wasn't for bad kicking for goal.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:02 pm

MW wrote:Not sure on the comment re. Crows draw Booney.
When the draw was released, Essendon were expected to challenge for the eight and Freo were definitely a walk up top 4 side.
Then we've got Port who again were expected to be top 8 if not top 4 and then WCE.
They way its panned out has certainly helped so far, but Freo over there is always tough, and showdowns can be anyones guess.

Certainly been kissed on the dick the way the it's worked out - plus no injuries that have affected the win/loss column.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Spargo » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:04 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

I got a feeling the Swans may drop one this week. Whether it's wishful thinking or I expect the Saints to play just as well as they normally do at Ethiad while maybe this time the Swannies won't as they normally do pretty well at this venue. I sense a a Banana skin for the Swannies.

regards,

REB

Saints no chance.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby helicopterking » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:08 pm

Why is that free kick. Moore hits the fence after a legit spoil inside the field of play.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 667 times

Postby stan » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:11 pm

helicopterking wrote:Why is that free kick. Moore hits the fence after a legit spoil inside the field of play.

Yep nothing in that the dogs player didn't even make contact with him.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1254 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby cracka » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:15 pm

Spargo wrote:
MW wrote:Not sure on the comment re. Crows draw Booney.

Certainly been kissed on the dick the way the it's worked out - plus no injuries that have affected the win/loss column.

That's probably been the major factor in our good run.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Next

Board index   Football  AFL