Average attendance trend or not?

Talk on the national game

Average attendance trend or not?

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:07 pm

Was reading an article on Facebook which pointed out since 2012 when GWS entered AFL, that winter sports AFL, NRL, SANFL have dropped their average attendances.

On the other hand the four summer sports A-League, Big Bash, NBL and baseball league have all rebranded and all increased their average attendance in that same period.

Why??

Has it been because of successful rebranding?
Is it because of disengaged spectators with the winter sports?
Is it society becoming 'softer' and not being as prepared to do things in colder months?

I'm not sure what thread to put this topic in, feel free to move.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2529 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Re: Average attendance trend or not?

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:19 pm

None of your answers mate, they're all wrong.

A League is down 21pg since 12/13 and down 2.3Kpg since 07/08. That's all despite the influx WSW inflating figures since they entered the comp.

AFL in 2016 will be roughly the same as 2012 after finals figures are taken into account. Membership is up and despite taking a hit introducing two new teams will more than make it up in TV rights. AFL couldn't be healthier.

NRL have been pretty steady since 2000 with only minor ups and downs depending on which teams are doing well, they admit they rely purely on TV and their ratings are awesome.

Big Bash is still too new and with only 4 home games per team hard to compare.

I went to a baseball game last year, it was just about family and friends, they're actually moving to a smaller home base at West Beach for this season.

Basketball hasn't changed much since 1994. Probably had over 20 teams pull out at various times, ask the Town ville Crocs how they're going.

Rugby Union has gone backwards since the Reds turned shit.

At the end of the day the comp with the biggest headaches is the A League and I can't see that changing with the standard dropping every year. It really is a shit product.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:24 pm

A-league is up since 12-13

12/13- 12658
15/16- 12706

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records. ... on=2015-16

Only reason baseball is moving to a smaller oval is because Norwood Oval is under construction and west beach is headquarters for baseball
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:29 pm

whufc wrote:A-league is up since 12-13

12/13- 12658
15/16- 12706

http://www.ultimatealeague.com/records. ... on=2015-16

Sorry, I was looking at the regular season attendance which was down which is a fairer indication in this time.
The only reason the finals were different was because of the novelty factor of Adelaide Oval attracting 8K more than the SFS did in 12/13.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:30 pm

Nrl is also down 1k per game since 2012

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2016 ... drop-again

You could also say the AFL figures are inflated because of the novelty of AO and Geelongs stadium upgrade
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:33 pm

At the end of the day the AFL are in the best shape of all comps, the NRL next.
Big Bash will always be well attended (I buy 4 tickets myself every season) but the rest are always going to have issues scrapping for money/crowds.
A League despite having such a popular world wide game are awful and of the most concern considering where they were ten years ago and have to have money pumped into them from other ventures.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:35 pm

whufc wrote:Nrl is also down 1k per game since 2012

You could also say the AFL figures are inflated because of the novelty of AO and Geelongs stadium upgrade

Mate, you're comparing one figure with finals included and one without. NRL is fine.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:36 pm

Wedgie wrote:At the end of the day the AFL are in the best shape of all comps, the NRL next.
Big Bash will always be well attended (I buy 4 tickets myself every season) but the rest are always going to have issues scrapping for money/crowds.
A League despite having such a popular world wide game are awful and of the most concern considering where they were ten years ago and have to have money pumped into them from other ventures.

The A-League will never be as big as AFL or BBL but I'm sure that the AFL would be looking at the fact that four summer sports competiting against one another have increased their average attendences while in winter two sports which have their own niche market (apart from two states) having declining to flat figures
whufc
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:42 pm

Mate, they'd be laughing at the A League looking at the last ten years, they might look at the BBL for some pointers, I think Port did to a degree.
The AFL is so far in front of A League, NBL and whatever the baseball comp is called that they wouldn't care less about them, itd be like asking Donald Trump if he's worried that my bank balance has stayed steady for 3 years where his has declined by 1 million. Do your little crowd comparisons after the finals so they can be compared.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:52 pm

Australian Baseball League averaged 945 per game in 15/16 (the first time its dropped below 1K since the inception of the ABL.)
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 01, 2016 2:31 pm

whufc wrote:Was reading an article on Facebook which pointed out since 2012 when GWS entered AFL, that winter sports AFL, NRL, SANFL have dropped their average attendances.
On the other hand the four summer sports A-League, Big Bash, NBL and baseball league have all rebranded and all increased their average attendance in that same period.

A League -

12/13 - 12658
13/14 - 13479
14/15 - 13048
15/16 - 12706

Comparing A League 12/13 with 15/16, yes, it is up ( 48 people per game ) but the author of that Facebook article overlooked the fact it's over 300 per game down on last year and 773 per gamer down on the year before.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:55 pm

whufc wrote:Nrl is also down 1k per game since 2012

Games at Geelong have gone down due to stadium upgrade?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:12 pm

While under construction capacity has been slightly reduced from the previous maximum capacity.

Obviously that will go up again, once completed.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:41 pm

Wedgie wrote:None of your answers mate, they're all wrong.

A League is down 21pg since 12/13 and down 2.3Kpg since 07/08. That's all despite the influx WSW inflating figures since they entered the comp.

AFL in 2016 will be roughly the same as 2012 after finals figures are taken into account. Membership is up and despite taking a hit introducing two new teams will more than make it up in TV rights. AFL couldn't be healthier.

NRL have been pretty steady since 2000 with only minor ups and downs depending on which teams are doing well, they admit they rely purely on TV and their ratings are awesome.

I went to a baseball game last year, it was just about family and friends, they're actually moving to a smaller home base at West Beach for this season.

Basketball hasn't changed much since 1994. Probably had over 20 teams pull out at various times, ask the Town ville Crocs how they're going.

At the end of the day the comp with the biggest headaches is the A League and I can't see that changing with the standard dropping every year. It really is a shit product.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/new- ... nci8mezu3l

Not sure if the a-league has as many headaches as first thought

Look at that growth in memberships and tv ratings
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:59 am

whufc wrote:
Wedgie wrote:None of your answers mate, they're all wrong.

http://www.a-league.com.au/article/new- ... nci8mezu3l

Not sure if the a-league has as many headaches as first thought

Look at that growth in memberships and tv ratings

SANFL thread = TV ratings doesn't mean the game/competition is better.

Pro A-League thread = TV ratings means the game is heaps good.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:30 am

LOl, shocking trolling WHUFC.
Comparisons of minor rounds this season compared to last with TV ratings & Crowds:
AFL 88 million (up 1%)
NRL 79 million (up 12%) not including SoO or Test matches
A League 8 million (down 25%) - down 53% on Free to Air

http://www.footyindustry.com

Seriously mate, comparing the A League with the AFL is like comparing a bike with no chain or tyres with a Ferrari, you need to start putting your energy onto the dying soccer competition in this country before it becomes any more embarrassing rather than worrying about the elite sports comps that are flourishing. You sound like the SANFL and pro Crows wankers with their heads in the sand trying desperately to polish a turd. Doesn't matter how much you polish it the A League is shit.

TV rights:
A League 40 million (packaged with Socceroos game)
AFL 2.5 billion
NRL 1.8 billion
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:37 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:Was reading an article on Facebook which pointed out since 2012 when GWS entered AFL, that winter sports AFL, NRL, SANFL have dropped their average attendances.

A League -

12/13 - 12658
13/14 - 13479
14/15 - 13048
15/16 - 12706

Comparing A League 12/13 with 15/16, yes, it is up ( 48 people per game ) but the author of that Facebook article overlooked the fact it's over 300 per game down on last year and 773 per gamer down on the year before.

Difference of 48 when the co-efficient of variation in 2.5% (stdev/mean*100 of the four average crowd figures) I would say that there is no change between 12-13 and 15/16.

As someone doing sports management you should know that
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby whufc » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:54 pm

You actually may be able to help with the coefficient statistics as I'm only just studying this to which I got a different answer with those figures

I got a standard variation of 4%

based on a mean of 12972
subtracting from the four average crowd figures to give a mean of 16 and then taking the square root which is 4

Happy to be corrected where I went wrong
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:04 am

whufc wrote:You actually may be able to help with the coefficient statistics as I'm only just studying this to which I got a different answer with those figures

based on a mean of 12972
subtracting from the four average crowd figures to give a mean of 16 and then taking the square root which is 4

Comparing the A League to the AFL. /thread
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:31 am

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:You actually may be able to help with the coefficient statistics as I'm only just studying this to which I got a different answer with those figures

based on a mean of 12972

Comparing the A League to the AFL. /thread

I was only comparing their attendance trend

At no point did I say the a league will overtake the AFL (it never will), I never said the A-League was in a better financial position (it never will be) all I compared an attendance figure on an article I saw on Facebook
whufc
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  AFL