AFL Preliminary Finals

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL Preliminary Finals

Postby bulldogproud » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:47 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Cockatoo plays we lose

So, you will get knocked off your perch?
A Bulldog in winter; a WTDCC Eagle and OICC Wolf in Summer!
bulldogproud
League - Top 5

Has liked: 489 times
Been liked: 401 times
Grassroots Team: Imperials

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:51 pm

bulldogproud wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Cockatoo plays we lose

So, you will get knocked off your perch?

He's cuckoo
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2060 times
Been liked: 3917 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby JK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Brodlach wrote:Here we go again with the bloody stupid puns

I know, they're just plain fowl
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4464 times
Been liked: 2992 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:21 pm

Sounds like Henderson in for Menzel. I'd like to see Bews or someone else (not Cockatoo) in for Ruggles too.
I'm getting chicken.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:56 pm

McVeigh and Nankervis out! Tippett and Zac Jones in. God choice with Jones
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Corona Man » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:58 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:McVeigh and Nankervis out! Tippett and Zac Jones in. God choice with Jones

A divine selection?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1280 times
Been liked: 3493 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Corona Man wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:McVeigh and Nankervis out! Tippett and Zac Jones in. God choice with Jones

A divine selection?

:lol: just realised I did that
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3030 times
Been liked: 2406 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:18 pm

Wedgie wrote:Sounds like Henderson in for Menzel. I'd like to see Bews or someone else (not Cockatoo) in for Ruggles too.
I'm getting chicken.

Crikey, I was spot on!
Ins: Bews, Henderson
Outs: Ruggles, Menzel

Bews will be a much bigger asset in a game like this than Ruggles.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Sounds like Henderson in for Menzel. I'd like to see Bews or someone else (not Cockatoo) in for Ruggles too.
I'm getting chicken.

Crikey, I was spot on!
Outs: Ruggles, Henderson

Poor old Henderson, dropped after 0 games
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:37 pm

JK wrote:
Wedgie wrote:
I'm getting chicken.

Crikey, I was spot on!
Outs: Ruggles, Henderson

Poor old Henderson, dropped after 0 games

Whoops, fixed, don't tell Daniel I made that mistake!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:24 pm

Syd/Bullies double @ $7.92 looks overs
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2333 times
Been liked: 3561 times

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:33 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Booney wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:You got mixed up with your own club mate. Port Adelaide Magpies are no more 8)

i just find it interesting that one club can change it's name and move to another city and another keeps it's name but changes competitions and how the two are viewed so differently.

South Melbourne are no more, that name hasn't been used for 30 years.

Completely different, a club can move, it can change names, its still the same club.
A brand new entity that gets a traditional club to change its name so it can name itself that does not become that traditional club.
If I renamed myself Freddie Mercury I wouldn't suddenly like men and be able to sing nor be able to claim Freddie Mercury's history.
Quite simple.

Very simple, because you weren't concieved from Freddy's old man's ball sack in Zanzibar or Alberton
Does one sibling with a different family name from the other sibling have more belonging to that family's heritage?
So your saying there should of been two Magpies in the AFL. One black and white, the other white and black perhaps
Last edited by LMA on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:35 pm

Sydney 1-24
Gws 25+
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:08 am

3 games of AFL footy left for the year and despite 14 of the clubs having nothing to do this weekend the fans of all 18 clubs will be fixed to the two preliminary finals to be played. The prelims are often talked about as the best matches of the year and this weekend promises to be no different.

We’ve got two sides who have both tasted premiership success in the modern era ( more than once ) and they have both managed to “rebuild on the run” with smart recruiting, good development from their younger stars and solid form from their veterans. Nothing new to see Geelong and Sydney looking at a GF berth.

On the other side we’ve got the success starved Western Bulldogs. The last time they tasted ultimate football glory Marilyn Monroe was married to Joe DiMaggio. On the flip side we have a club who have been around for 2 years less than One Direction. A beast born from the AFL’s desire to take the Northern states market, we all knew they were coming, might be premature if they win one this year though.

Geelong v Sydney –

Will be interesting to see how the Catters start tonight, with one game in the last 27 days you must consider whether or not they have been able to keep the intensity in their training to a level to be ready for a Sydney side looking for a third GF in 5 years.

Forward lines –

The Cats have settled their forward line in recent weeks with Hawkins finding some touch ( perhaps the delivery is better? ), Motlop getting hands on the ball and Stanley, while not hitting the scoreboard in recent weeks ( none in his last 4 outings ) he’s averaging 15 touches and 4 marks per week in that time.

The Swans have the best big man in the game to kick it too, but don’t under estimate Papley ( 6 goals in his two finals ), McGlynn and the returning Tippett who might spend more time forward on the bigger MCG than he does in Sydney.

Advantage – Sydney

Midfield –

“Dangerwood” ( vomit in mouth ) have made for a dangerous duo, at worst, throw in the more consistent Guthrie ( 20+ touches his 13 of his last 15 games ), the other Selwood, Duncan, Caddy and the versatile Menegola and the Cats have start power at the top and some more depth in the middle of that group.

Not much to say about this line up other than Kennedy, Hannebery, Jack ( under rated? ), Parker, Heeney, Mitchell, Lloyd etc etc. The bench mark for inside and outside mix and attack on the ball.

Advantage – Sydney

Back lines –

When push comes to shove there’s not many sides who can rely on the back half like the Cats can. Taylor and Enright still seem to be in the price of their careers 5 years after they should have been out of it, Mackie and Lonergan as dependable as ever and the addition of swing man Henderson can’t be under rated. Kolodjashnij offering some real dash.

Young. Simple as that. Grundy, Smith and Laidler ( another Carlton discard playing in September ) are the experienced ones holding together the young group of Marsh (6 games) and Aliir (12). Rampe is the creator who takes a chance to get off his man.

Advantage – Geelong

So I see it as the Geelong midfield having to be at its absolute best to match the Sydney group and give the Geelong forwards plenty, plenty of scoring opportunity. The Geelong mids also need to hit the scoreboard enough to get the Cats close to the 100 point mark to match the Swannies attack. The Cats back line will be under plenty of pressure from the Swans midfield group who will get the ball I50 time and time again, but they’re up to it.

My tip – Sydney in a close one. Sydney by 14 points.

GWS v Bulldogs –

The Giants have marched into the finals, big wins over Fremantle and North coming into the week off then they battered the Swans into submission at ANZ. The midfield out-Swanning the Swans inside and outrunning them outside. The big forwards looking menacing.

The Bulldogs did anything but leading into the finals,an unexpected ( when under manned ) loss to Fremantle in the last round led them into the weekend off, and didn’t they love that? Back to Perth and they barely got stuck in the Eagles web and then ran the Hawks off their feet last weekend.

Forward lines –

GWS have both key men in Cameron and Patton in form at the right time, Lobb offers the third marking target and Greene, Smith and Shiel offer plenty of headaches. The loss of Johnson can’t be underestimated though and the likes of Whitfield, Scully and Hopper might rotate through there a little more this week.

Boyd, in the Eagles game, seemed to come of age. A little down last week but still gave them a target, Cordy offers that target too. Stringer back with each touch of the ball counting, Dickson unusually inaccurate last week ( nerves? ) and little men galore from the midfield rush forward when they get the ball with Daniel, Liberatore, Hunter and the Bont all capable of multiples.

Advantage – GWS

Midfield –

It’s like looking at a list of top 10 picks, well, it is. The grunt from Coniglio and Scully is top shelf, the skills of Kelly and Williams pretty to watch and the likes of Ward, Griffen, Smith, Shiel, Whitfield....they just keep coming at you. Most dangerous in space.

Not much different here! Bontempelli, Daniel and Dahlhaus ( under rated? ) lead the way from the father-son Liberatore, Hunter and Wallis ( and Cordy ), hard as teeth Picken with some Smith and McLean for measure. Run just as deep and have just as many guns.

Advantage – GWS

Back lines –

Target recruiting of Davis, Patfull ( who ever thought? ) and Shaw a master stroke. Running man Wilson with dash, Griffen and Tomlinson add to the mid/tall flexibility and Haynes while untidy looking is very tidy with his ball use.

The heart of the Bulldogs running machine. Morris, Boyd and Wood out mark bigger opponents with regularity and take plenty of uncontested marks with the help of the midfield, Johannisen and Biggs create dash and Hambling has found a home in the back lines after limited chances at Geelong.

Advantage – Bulldogs

Again, a midfield battle but I think this one is won and lost with the GWS forward half. If they can create 50+ I50’s for the match the Bulldogs smaller defence will struggle in the air. The Dogs have been gallant in their two finals, with two trips to Perth in the last month and two cut throat finals under their belt I think the week off for GWS will be a huge advantage.

My tip – The GWS big men to have the advantage in the air forward of centre and I expect them to make the most of it. GWS by 27 points.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby JK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:18 am

Nice write up as always mate!

That midfield contest tonight is seriously mouth watering .. The Swans probably bat the deepest in the competition for top shelf mids, but the Cats have at least two of their own. Last time they played, whilst he got a lot of the ball early, the Swans midfield sat off Dangerfield but were queueing up to nab him once he took possession. This resulted in sub-standard usage. Dangerfield and Geelong will be aware of it, and he's due for a belter. Cats will need the likes of Guthrie and Caddy to pitch in, which they're very capable of. Cant wait!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:40 am

JK wrote:Nice write up as always mate!

That midfield contest tonight is seriously mouth watering .. The Swans probably bat the deepest in the competition for top shelf mids, but the Cats have at least two of their own. Last time they played, whilst he got a lot of the ball early, the Swans midfield sat off Dangerfield but were queueing up to nab him once he took possession. This resulted in sub-standard usage. Dangerfield and Geelong will be aware of it, and he's due for a belter. Cats will need the likes of Guthrie and Caddy to pitch in, which they're very capable of. Cant wait!!

Are you getting moist JK?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby JK » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:43 am

Wedgie wrote:
JK wrote:Nice write up as always mate!

Are you getting moist JK?

Getting?? Well past that mate ;)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:59 am

He's dripping like a ****** fridge.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7517 times
Been liked: 10811 times

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:19 pm

I'm quite stress free, looking forward to the game but my grand Final was 2 weeks ago.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:21 pm

Dennis Commetti's last Friday night call tonight.
Wish he was staying on and Bruce was leaving.
Wedgie
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL