Adelaide Crows 2017

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2017

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:36 pm

How are they different?

It’s obviously based on my subjective and biased opinion and I only really have news reports to go on, but I feel like there are players that go home for family reasons, and there are players that use “family reasons” to jump ship. It’s entirely possible they all have legitimate family reasons to move, but in a lot of cases it would be purely a better offer.

Someone like lever clearly got a mega deal to leave - and I can’t begrudge him that.

I personally think players shouldn’t fear coming out and saying yeah I’m moving at the end of the year.

A bit more transparency would be good I reckon.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:How are they different?

It’s obviously based on my subjective and biased opinion and I only really have news reports to go on, but I feel like there are players that go home for family reasons, and there are players that use “family reasons” to jump ship. It’s entirely possible they all have legitimate family reasons to move, but in a lot of cases it would be purely a better offer.

Someone like lever clearly got a mega deal to leave - and I can’t begrudge him that.

I personally think players shouldn’t fear coming out and saying yeah I’m moving at the end of the year.

Nor should you begrudge Lever. He saw out his contract and what ever reason he didn’t re sign is irrelevant.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:45 pm

So you don’t think we would benefit from greater transparency like we see in other sports?

I certainly do. Particularly around what players are paid
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
bennymacca wrote:How are they different?

Nor should you begrudge Lever. He saw out his contract and what ever reason he didn’t re sign is irrelevant.

Played to the line, well, to the end of the preliminary final but he's no lone soldier there.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby The Bedge » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:49 pm

bennymacca wrote:So you don’t think we would benefit from greater transparency like we see in other sports?

Yes, but most supporters are an emotional and fickle bunch, they can't deal with the transparency.. they have mental breakdowns.

bennymacca wrote:Particularly around what players are paid
No, don't think people should know what players are getting paid - it's their career/job, that information deserves to remain confidential. Plus could only imagine the increased uproar and scrutiny players would come under for poor performances if supporters knew their wages.

Cameron leaves coz Adelaide is a fishbowl now - imagine how much worse it would be.
Last edited by The Bedge on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3999 times

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm

bennymacca wrote:So you don’t think we would benefit from greater transparency like we see in other sports?

What, so mugs like us can be even more critical of players? No way, we don't need to know.

If we were to look at disclosing salaries I think we could have something like :
Geelong :
Cat 1 - $700k+ 4 players
Cat 2 - $600-700k 6 players
Cat 3 - $500-600k 13 players

Would you disclose to the wider population on here or at the Xmas dinner table what you earn?

As for moving clubs it's pretty easy to spot the blokes who are, they roll out the "I'm in no hurry / my manager and I will work through it / I'll discuss it with my wife / family", if they're no signed on by mid year and they're rolling that stuff out wave them goodbye.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:50 pm

Yep. Can’t fault his endeavour on the field, even when he obviously knew he was going a month beforehand.

I would rather they officially sign that contract though and it’s made public - because at the moment it’s all handshake rubbish as Melbourne isn’t able to officially offer him anything anyway.

I have said this before but I would like to see free agency reduced to 5 years but players under contract can be traded at the whim of the clubs. The players have way too much power at the moment.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yep. Can’t fault his endeavour on the field, even when he obviously knew he was going a month beforehand.

I would rather they officially sign that contract though and it’s made public - because at the moment it’s all handshake rubbish as Melbourne isn’t able to officially offer him anything anyway.
I have said this before but I would like to see free agency reduced to 5 years but players under contract can be traded at the whim of the clubs. The players have way too much power at the moment.

More than a whisper he was getting the cold shoulder from team mates back in July.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:I personally think players shouldn’t fear coming out and saying yeah I’m moving at the end of the year.

It's because footy clubs and supporters have an insular mindset. If a player comes out mid season and says 'That's it I'm off at the end of the year" the club would probably refuse to play him again, his teammates would ostracise him and the fans would turn on him and make the rest of his time a living hell. No player would be stupid enough to do that to themselves, that's why we get all the mealy mouthed "I and my management will sit down at the end of the season" crap when deals have already been stitched up with other clubs.

Footy clubs are built on this stuff and they've got a long way to go to reach truly professional sporting leagues like the NBA for example where free agency, trades and the banter between fans of which players might go where is half the fun of it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:55 pm

Booney wrote:
If we were to look at disclosing salaries I think we could have something like :
Geelong :
Cat 1 - $700k+ 4 players
Cat 2 - $600-700k 6 players
Cat 3 - $500-600k 13 players

This just leads to more speculation and guesswork - which doesn’t really chance the situation we have now.

Maybe you could have similar bands but name players?

Booney wrote:Would you disclose to the wider population on here or at the Xmas dinner table what you earn?

I work for the government, my wages are public knowledge if you know what level I am Maybe that’s part of why I don’t have as much of an issue
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Gozu wrote:
bennymacca wrote:I personally think players shouldn’t fear coming out and saying yeah I’m moving at the end of the year.

It's because footy clubs and supporters have an insular mindset. If a player comes out mid season and says 'That's it I'm off at the end of the year" the club would probably refuse to play him again, his teammates would ostracise him and the fans would turn on him and make the rest of his time a living hell. No player would be stupid enough to do that to themselves, that's why we get all the mealy mouthed "I and my management will sit down at the end of the season" crap when deals have already been stitched up with other clubs.

Footy clubs are built on this stuff and they've got a long way to go to reach truly professional sporting leagues like the NBA for example where free agency, trades and the banter between fans of which players might go where is half the fun of it.

Yeah agree with all of that
bennymacca
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:56 pm

None of my business what someone gets paid, even though I also work for the government... I think it’s crap how in the NRL players say they are leaving mid season, shit look imo.
Last edited by woodublieve12 on Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:57 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

None of my business what someone gets paid... I think it’s crap how in the NRL players say they are leaving mid season, shit look imo.

Is it more or less shit than players staking their whole careers on handshakes mid season as they are not allowed to sign anywhere else?
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Gozu wrote:

Do NBA players declare mid season they're moving and to where?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

I don’t follow the NBA that closely but soccer players do on occasion. In the final 6 months of a contract they are allowed to sign wherever they want
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Btw interesting discussion everyone.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Booney wrote:
Gozu wrote:

Do NBA players declare mid season they're moving and to where?

No not usually but their 'people' often leak it to a favoured journo so it's often common knowledge.

I should probably add one star player who didn't want to play the final year of his contract with the team he was with declared before the start of this season that he as a free agent the following season would be signing with the Lakers. It meant that most teams knew if they traded for that player he would likely only be a one year rental which obviously would greatly effect what his then team would get back for him in a trade. The Lakers ended up being fined $500K by the NBA for tampering.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby bennymacca » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:13 pm

Yesss. Best SA kid in the draft taken by the crows.

Now he only had port to leave to [emoji2]
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Spargo » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:35 pm

bennymacca wrote:Yesss. Best SA kid in the draft taken by the crows.

Now he only had port to leave to [emoji2]

Of all the clubs.
Can’t wait to see him line up against Glenelg next year... :roll:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dutchy » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Crows don;t have any recruiting officers across the border anymore? :lol:
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times