AFLW - Womens AFL

Talk on the national game

Re: AFLW - Womens AFL

Postby Q. » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:45 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote: and some had more tatts than Dustin Martin!!!

SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:04 am

Mrs Boon has shown some level of interest in the AFLW, despite being in a relationship with me for over 25 years she's now suddenly found an appreciation for a good Sherrin fight, so I tuned in for a fair portion of Friday night's game. It was awful. The skills on display from a large portion of the women were really average, the players who could handle the ball correctly ( as in hold it in the proper manner to kick and handball ) shone while the others with lesser skills were aware of the fact and seemed rushed and panicky to the point of just throwing it on the boot. I know the game is in it's infancy and I appreciate the endeavor they show, but the skills were really average which makes it really difficult to score and an ordinary spectacle.

Carlton v Collingwood 3 goals to 2, Melbourne v GWS 7 goals to 6, Brisbane v Adelaide 4 goals to 3, Bulldogs v Freo 7 goal to 3. If the AFL is serious about AFLW then they either need to reduce the number of players on the field and make the field smaller or do both, certainly making the ground smaller would benefit.

Playing full oval matches when the better players barely leg it 35m means the skill level needs to be higher to transition the ball with any purpose and the skills, in the main, are pretty ordinary.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Magellan » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 am

Booney wrote:Carlton v Collingwood 3 goals to 2, Melbourne v GWS 7 goals to 6, Brisbane v Adelaide 4 goals to 3, Bulldogs v Freo 7 goal to 3. If the AFL is serious about AFLW then they either need to reduce the number of players on the field and make the field smaller or do both, certainly making the ground smaller would benefit.

Spot on.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:53 am

Because of the lack of depth to their kicks I think making the ground smaller will make the game even more congested and won’t allow enough freedom to increase goal scoring
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 am

Brodlach wrote:Because of the lack of depth to their kicks I think making the ground smaller will make the game even more congested and won’t allow enough freedom to increase goal scoring

I'd get rid of the forward and back pocket players and make it a 4 person forward and back line. Take 8 off the field and make the ground smaller.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:57 am

Already play 16?
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:59 am

I know, and I reckon the bottom 4 in each side aren't making the game any better.

Perhaps go back to 14 a side then on a smaller field.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:50 am

I think it comes down to infancy.
AFL know the standard is not that good yet, that's why the admission is free for the most part.
It's going to take years before it is worth watching, but like anything starting out, you need to start somewhere.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 1850 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:13 am

it will get better.

Its akin to watching B grade country footy. Skills arent there but the endeavour is, and if its a close contest the skill level is secondary.

I havent watched any of it this year but ill certainly take a passing interest in the crows games.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby MW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am

It's got my 13 yr old daughter playing footy so it's got the tick of approval from me!
MW
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am

Do they use a full-size footy?
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 pm

FlyingHigh wrote:Do they use a full-size footy?

No
MW
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:35 pm

MW wrote:

No

I think thats part of the issue, they use a size 4 footy which is actually harder to kick than a full size footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby MW » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
MW wrote:

No

I think thats part of the issue, they use a size 4 footy which is actually harder to kick than a full size footy.

For a bloke yes. Different for a woman with (usually) much smaller feet?
MW
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, that why I was wondering., similar with marking and general ball-handling I would have thought.
Just looking at the Sherrins website, I didn't know a size 5 was full size, thought it was still a size down, but there's still only a couple cm's between four and five
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:58 pm

Yeah, that why I was wondering., similar with marking and general ball-handling I would have thought.
Just looking at the Sherrins website, I didn't know a size 5 was full size, thought it was still a size down, but there's still only a couple cm's between four and five
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:20 pm

FOURTH ESTATE wrote:Call me a Dinosaur or what ever. I saw 5 mins of last nights game and that was enough for me. The skill level was abysmal some could not kick and missed from the goal square!!! and some had more tatts than Dustin Martin!!!

The only way they get crowds is that it is free if people had to pay nobody would turn up.

If this is the level of skill at that level I would hate to think what is happening in local grades!!!!

I was at the Nwd v North SANFLW game saturday and the skills were so much better than what i have seen in the AFLW. The game was pretty good
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 72 times

Postby mots02 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:49 pm

For me, the only interest in the AFLW game is that it is full of unknowns. You kind of watch it on the edge of your seat because you have no idea what will happen next.

The AFL is now a very technical, logical style of game. You know where the ball is heading next and you know that ideally it will be to a team mate that is not needing to contest the ball but will accept it in some space. All very predictable.

The older style footy (60's - 80's) was much more contested possession (particularly in the air), it was less predictable and players with the better all round skills stood out as they won more one-on-one contests.

AFLW is more like the old style. The ball moves around really unpredictably, this gives it one plus over how the modern AFL game is played at times.

That said... it's only plus is also it's biggest minus. It's incredibly frustrating to watch players continually make very basic ball handling mistakes. The kicking and handballing skills will improve over time but the bit that kills it for me is the players inability to take the ball cleanly - both in the air and on the ground. Constantly fumbling makes it more congested and a pretty horrible spectacle at times.

Just when you think there will be some predictability in play, someone drops the balls, stuffs the kick or over runs the play.

I'll continue to give it a go, but i'll struggle to embrace it as it genuinely it feels like i'm watching people still learning to play the very basics of the game. I'm happy to watch that on a Saturday morning in the park lands, but don't expect it to be on my tv screens in prime time.
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 881 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Jim05 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:43 pm

2 weeks suspension for kicking another player in the box :D
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Brodlach » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:54 pm

Such a short season anything too long means she wouldn’t play again this season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL