Grand Final Tickets: Dos and don'ts

Talk on the national game

Re: Grand Final Tickets: Dos and don'ts

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:54 pm

OnSong wrote:*Not sure if there's another threat this fits in

So after the Crows' win in the qualifying final, I went hunting for grand final tickets.

I figured if they don't win the prelim, I could sell them, but the chance of going to watch my side play in a GF for the first time in 19 years meant I was keen to secure a spot early.

Missus put an ad on Gumtree looking for available tickets.

A bloke texted her claiming to be a Melbourne supporter who had bought finals series tickets, entitling them to tickets for all four rounds of finals, including two to the Grand Final.

I spoke to the guy, who claimed to be from Melbourne and working at a NAB.

We had a good, friendly convo and agreed I would pay for one ticket ($400), he would post the tickets that arvo with and send the tracking number.

On arrival of the tickets, I would pay the remaining $400.

I had been advised by the wife to use PayPal but he sort of nonchalantly talked around that and I foolishly bought into the whole thing.

I paid the $400 via bank transfer, sent a screenshot, and he responded saying he had sent the tickets at 3.18pm on Friday arvo.

He did not provide a tracking number at the time.

Monday, Tuesday passed, I check the post Wednesday, still nothing.

I texted him, no response, I called, the phone wouldn't ring, straight to generic messagebank. Tried with work phone, same thing.

We were a bit suss so bit of a background searching and found his facebook profile (not under his real name provided with banking details).

The missus contacted his former place of work (not NAB, he's a landscaper), the HR department said they had his number on file and it was different to the one he was using.

They contacted him letting him know we were trying to get in contact with him.

In the meantime, missus had lodged a police report.

He called the missus on Friday morning very apologetic, claiming his phone had broken not long after sending the tickets, he'd made an error and the tickets had been sent back.

Only issue is we'd contacted others on Gumtree with similar ads to the one we placed advising them of our situation and he'd been in contact with another 'customer' days after claiming his phone had broken, with the same phone number, this time looking for $1000 a ticket.

She informed him we'd lodged a police report, which we would drop, on receipt of a refund, and I'd be calling him to sort it out.

I called him, which he returned and was clearly very nervous on the phone.

He explained it did look suss but it was a genuine misunderstanding and he'd never been in any trouble before other than a speeding fine.

I just said it was not an issue and was happy to just get a refund and we'd leave it there. We'd find other means for tickets.

He's supposed to be sending a refund this arvo. We'll see. Otherwise we'll pursue further.

I have his full name and the phone numbers he used. If anyone needs them, PM me.

Soooooo, what's some of the other stories out there? Anyone else been ripped off before? Any ideas on best ways to get tickets for non members etc?

As soon as you deal with someone who doesn't want to use PayPal consider it dodgy. With paypal you can lodge complaints of items not rocking up and win all the time where as bank transfer you have less of a chance as it's harder to prove
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:57 pm

AFL Grand Final day falls on my birthday so as a birthday present to myself I've purchased a GF package with my partner. We made the purschase leading into round 3. Paid $1900 each and that includes grand final breakfast at the Crown and we've got a seat in M13. We purchased flights back in May which cost $300 each return. Flights now are almost double just for one way.
Last edited by mighty hounds on Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby prowling panther » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:42 pm

mighty hounds wrote:AFL Grand Final day falls on my birthday this year so I've purchased a GF package with my partner back in round 3. Paid $1900 each and that includes grand final breakfast at the Crown and we've got a seat in M13. We purchased flights back in may as well and only paid $600 total return. Flights now are almost that one way.

Sounds to me you did/done the right thing. All you need now is for the Crows to be part of it.
I wish my remembering was as good as my forgetting
prowling panther
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

Postby carey » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:45 pm

mighty hounds wrote:AFL Grand Final day falls on my birthday this year so I've purchased a GF package with my partner back in round 3. Paid $1900 each and that includes grand final breakfast at the Crown and we've got a seat in M13. We purchased flights back in may as well and only paid $600 total return. Flights now are almost that one way.

Well played mate. Enjoy.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:01 pm

prowling panther wrote:

Sounds to me you did/done the right thing. All you need now is for the Crows to be part of it.

Yeh that would top it off nicely. I went in with the expectation of watching a neutral grand final and if the Crows made it that would just be a nice bonus.
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:29 pm

mighty hounds wrote:
prowling panther wrote:

Yeh that would top it off nicely. I went in with the expectation of watching a neutral grand final and if the Crows made it that would just be a nice bonus.

Exactly what my parents did, in their late 70's and just want to experience a GF so did it, if Crows get in it is a bonus.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Sent off a thing to Today Tonight.

I've got this guy's number, photo, where he works, Facebook page. I'll sick Frank Pangallo onto him haha.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby HH3 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:34 pm

OnSong wrote:Sent off a thing to Today Tonight.

I've got this guy's number, photo, where he works, Facebook page. I'll sick Frank Pangallo onto him haha.

Did he send the money back?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:39 pm

get the details out there. Let's get into him.
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 885 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:48 pm

Bum Crack wrote:

F****** oath, we'll all make arrangements with him.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:50 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Bum Crack wrote:

F****** oath, we'll all make arrangements with him.

Happy to PM all details to those who want to contact some crooked ticket scammer lol
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:55 am

UPDATE: Local police have contacted my ticket scamming friend. Convinced him they are the real deal by quoting off some details about him only SAPOL have access to. Police have told him this matter will only continue to develop the longer he takes to pay the money back.

He's agreed to pay the money back this afternoon. We'll see! This is the third time he's agreed to pay the money back haha.
OnSong
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:45 pm

OnSong wrote:UPDATE: Local police have contacted my ticket scamming friend. Convinced him they are the real deal by quoting off some details about him only SAPOL have access to. Police have told him this matter will only continue to develop the longer he takes to pay the money back.

He's agreed to pay the money back this afternoon. We'll see! This is the third time he's agreed to pay the money back haha.

And??
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby OnSong » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:25 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
OnSong wrote:UPDATE: Local police have contacted my ticket scamming friend. Convinced him they are the real deal by quoting off some details about him only SAPOL have access to. Police have told him this matter will only continue to develop the longer he takes to pay the money back.

And??

Nada. Was meant to email me a screenshot of the transaction. Hasn't happened, despite his insistence he sent it. Lol.

Getting a call in the morning!
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:54 pm

Good news:

It appears I've been sent a legitimate reciept for a refund from said scammer.

It came a few hours after Channel 9 contacted him for an interview after I contacted them last week with my story.

Hopefully the funds go through and the ordeal is over. Story is on tonight's news
OnSong
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:00 pm

OnSong wrote:Good news:

It came a few hours after Channel 9 contacted him for an interview after I contacted them last week with my story.

Hopefully the funds go through and the ordeal is over. Story is on tonight's news

Did you end up getting tickets to the GF from somewhere else?
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:07 pm

The Bedge wrote:

Did you end up getting tickets to the GF from somewhere else?

No mate. The search continues but my whole idea of going a bit early for tickets would have been good, had it ******* worked. Everything is through the roof now haha. Still trying!
OnSong
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:02 pm

Wow, opening story!

Youre famous! You could have put safooty on the laptop in the backround though! :lol:
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2021 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:25 pm

Yeah. They either wanted Gumtree or Facebook. Would have happily had SA Footy on display. Maybe has a negative connotation though haha
OnSong
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:32 pm

Bugger...I was at work and missed the headline story
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11807 times
Been liked: 3582 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL