2018 AFL Season

Talk on the national game

Re: 2018 AFL Season

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:26 pm

MW wrote:
Suri wrote:Suns have apparently offered Lynch a 7 yr, $1.5 mill/yr contract with the AFL to throw in an amba$$ador role. Fair deal for the Melbourne clubs (Collingwood) to try and match.

Insane

No, this is :

The Oakland Raiders will sign Jon Gruden to one of the longest coaching deals in NFL history -- a 10-year contract likely approaching $100 million -- when it is made official Tuesday, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Friday.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7492 times
Been liked: 10774 times

Postby Fricky » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Bum Crack wrote:
Suri wrote:Suns have apparently offered Lynch a 7 yr, $1.5 mill/yr contract with the AFL to throw in an amba$$ador role. Fair deal for the Melbourne clubs (Collingwood) to try and match.

Not much different to what the Pies will offer Sloane I would have thought. Maybe 5 years but will be around the same per year I reckon.

It'd be hard for Sloane to knock that offer back.
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby gadj1976 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:55 pm

Any Carlton members out there able to purchase tickets for rd1 in Melb?
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:03 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Bloody good player Greene. Very effective late in games in particular.

regards,

REB

Agreed. Have him in a heartbeat. Be a long heartbeat now...
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby DOC » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:17 pm

2008 Brownlow Medallist Adam Cooney has listed the four smartest players he ever encountered on a football field during his decorated career at the Western Bulldogs and Essendon.

4 - Brian Lake
“Football IQ of the highest order. Wasn’t fit, didn’t train hard and didn’t really do weights but read the ball just about better than anyone off the boot.”

3 - Sam Mitchell
“In terms of game nous and his positioning on-field, he would always set up to be in a position to be a receiver off the back… He would always be that outlet player that would dish off to a (Grant) Birchall running off half-back. A good kick on both sides of the body and again a player that could change his mind mid-kick. The kick off one step was brilliant, elite hands and a potential coach in waiting.”

2 - Dane Swan
“A pretty laconic sort of guy but used angles pretty well when he ran. He was a smart runner, he had elite speed and pretty good endurance as well. He worked a lot harder than what he makes out, the perception of him, but he could beat a tagger, read the ball off a ruckman’s hands really well. He looked unfit but got the job done.”

1 - Eddie Betts
“He’s got skill. He can take a hanger. He can use the one glove. Kicks it on his left foot or right foot and gets his angles right when he curls and dribbles the ball. Kicks it through people’s legs and nutmegs people. Left-foot barrels from the boundary line…he has got it all. He outsmarts opponents. He is one step ahead.”
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 730 times
Been liked: 2085 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:41 pm

Are Geelong going to wear the short sleeves during the season? I like them jumpers that
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Wedgie » Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 pm

Brodlach wrote:Are Geelong going to wear the short sleeves during the season? I like them jumpers that

No, thank Christ.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2042 times
Been liked: 3887 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Brodlach wrote:Are Geelong going to wear the short sleeves during the season? I like them jumpers that

No, thank Christ.

Yep. Ditch the tshirts boys.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Corona Man » Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:03 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

No, thank Christ.

Yep. Ditch the tshirts boys.

regards,

REB

Perhaps they could go with the Lycra like the Redlegs used to run with?
1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015.... And don't you forget it!
Corona Man
Coach

Has liked: 1278 times
Been liked: 3485 times
Grassroots Team: Echunga

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:57 pm

Etihad ground staff in a race against time to have the ground ready for Bombers v Crows next Friday night. They are replacing 4000 square metres of turf due to multiple Ed Sheeran concerts.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1211 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:59 pm

I've got my rosters in for the first four weeks and notice the Crows have two prime time games on Thursday night and Friday night against high drawing opposition where Ports first two games are against shit teams in Sat arvo and Sat twilight spots. Is this just a quirk of the early season draw and evens out eventually? You'd think they'd program it the other way around as the Crows could play anyone at any time and pack the place out where Ports crowd is a lot more reliant on timeslots and opposition.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby MW » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:01 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've got my rosters in for the first four weeks and notice the Crows have two prime time games on Thursday night and Friday night against high drawing opposition where Ports first two games are against shit teams in Sat arvo and Sat twilight spots. Is this just a quirk of the early season draw and evens out eventually? You'd think they'd program it the other way around as the Crows could play anyone at any time and pack the place out where Ports crowd is a lot more reliant on timeslots and opposition.

Port still need a leg up to draw crowds do they?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1846 times

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:07 pm

Wedgie wrote:I've got my rosters in for the first four weeks and notice the Crows have two prime time games on Thursday night and Friday night against high drawing opposition where Ports first two games are against shit teams in Sat arvo and Sat twilight spots. Is this just a quirk of the early season draw and evens out eventually? You'd think they'd program it the other way around as the Crows could play anyone at any time and pack the place out where Ports crowd is a lot more reliant on timeslots and opposition.

I'd say it's better to play Fremantle and Brisbane in those time slots early in the season before the amateur footy kicks off and before the weather turns some people away. The Brisbane one is the first week of the ammo's and 2:40, won't be a big number there but I'd rather was a Lions visit on a poor time slot than a good one.

Our draw mid year, around the byes, includes 3 in a row at home. Richmond Friday night, Bulldogs Thursday night and Melbourne Friday night, 3 clubs expected to go well, all at home, all prime time slots.

Will be a big 3 weeks in the context of our season, would need to win two of those 3 at home to give ourselves the best chance of finals footy.
Last edited by Booney on Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:08 pm

MW wrote:

Port still need a leg up to draw crowds do they?

Opposition and time makes a big difference to a lot of clubs (including all SANFL teams and most sporting clubs around the world) just take it as a complimemt to the Crows that it doesn't as much to them.
I would think smart fixturing would ensure maximum overall crowds, but as I said I haven't looked at the whole draw, only 4 weeks.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:09 pm

Booney wrote:

I'd say it's better to play Fremantle and Brisbane in those time slots early in the season before the amateur footy kicks off and before the weather turns some people away. The Brisbane one is the first week of the ammo's and 2:40, won't be a big number there.

Our draw mid year, around the byes, includes 3 in a row at home. Richmond Friday night, Bulldogs Thursday night and Melbourne Friday night, 3 clubs expected to go well, all at home, all prime time slots.

Will be a big 3 weeks in the context of our season, would need to win two of those 3 at home to give ourselves the best chance of finals footy.

Cheers, that makes sense and I didn't consider the start of other comps like the ammos, excellent point.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby bennymacca » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:14 pm

crows have pushed super hard to make thursday night games their own and are a proven crowd puller on those nights, which some other teams arent.

Also was near the top of the ladder last year and play an attractive brand of footy, so they get rewarded with plenty of prime time slots

if port finish top four this year, they will be similarly rewarded the year after imo
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:20 pm

I just checked the draw for Geelong and they came top 4 and only get one prime time home game and thats against the poorest supported team in the comp.
That doesn't overly bother me as we will pack the place out no matter when we play most weeks similar to Adelaide would but I thought there would be a bit more consistency/common sesnse.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:27 pm

Our draw is pretty good for time slots, well, I like it I know a couple of amateur league affiliates on here don't though.

We've got a few Saturday twilight, one Sunday twilight, one Saturday and a Thursday, two Friday and two Saturday night games with one TBA in the final round.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:31 pm

Damn, no early Sunday games, that would suit me the most. Good for church goers though!
Night games are the worst.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Booney » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:32 pm

Great for drinkers! :D

No, North Melbourne get ALL the early Sunday games.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL