Port Adelaide 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2018

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 am

Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I guess the question about Atley is, why hasn't he been signed by Port for 2019? His decision or have Port not put a contract in front of him?

We would have been waiting on Wines' signature, if Wines had left then Atley would have been a must keep. Given Wines has signed on and Atley could have some currency he's potentially a nice carrot to dangle on the end of a trade or to get an upgrade for Port in a deal.

Wines, SPP, Ebert, Rockliff all in the AFL side with Drew and Snelling as back ups he might be one that could be moved on as part of a deal.

Would you keep Drew & Snelling over Atley?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:04 am

amber_fluid wrote:True.
Lindsay Thomas has gone to the next level this year ;)

Most people try to make the most of a second chance though.

Please don't place "player" & Lindsay Thomas in the same sentence again.

I'll add "under 27".
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:05 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:
Dutchy wrote:I guess the question about Atley is, why hasn't he been signed by Port for 2019? His decision or have Port not put a contract in front of him?

We would have been waiting on Wines' signature, if Wines had left then Atley would have been a must keep. Given Wines has signed on and Atley could have some currency he's potentially a nice carrot to dangle on the end of a trade or to get an upgrade for Port in a deal.

Wines, SPP, Ebert, Rockliff all in the AFL side with Drew and Snelling as back ups he might be one that could be moved on as part of a deal.

Are they on our list?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:08 am

Spargo wrote:
Booney wrote:

Snelling > Atley > Drew IMO
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:25 am

I heard one media outlet say yesterday that Atley was “extremely keen” to get to North & really wants to play along side brother.
First I’ve heard.

Spargo
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:28 am

Spargo wrote:I heard one media outlet say yesterday that Atley was “extremely keen” to get to North & really wants to play along side brother.
First I’ve heard.

May well be, he's behind Wines, SPP, Ebert, Rockliff, Wingard and Gray in getting a gig in our midfield.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:30 am

amber_fluid wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
amber_fluid wrote:Most players improve when they leave Carlton.
Carlton are good are not getting the best out of their players.

Most players play better at their second club I reckon.

True.
Lindsay Thomas has gone to the next level down this year ;)

Most people try to make the most of a second chance though.

EFA
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:31 am

Booney wrote:

Port should be signing him then to make sure a trade happens to secure him, seeing he hasn't played a game this year probably indicates the media reports are on the mark.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3492 times

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 am

Dutchy wrote:
Booney wrote:

Port should be signing him then to make sure a trade happens to secure him, seeing he hasn't played a game this year probably indicates the media reports are on the mark.

I reckon he's only played 10 or 11 SANFL games this year, missed several weeks with a back complaint mid year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby LMA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:59 pm

Dutchy wrote:
LMA wrote:If they are willing to pay 700k per year then he is worth a first rounder

How much we pay him has nothing to do with it, as Ive said we could get him via PSD anyway

I don't reckon Polec and his management would go to the Draft. Different scenario I know but I'm pretty sure Free Agency compensation is based on the value of the contract
LMA
Coach

Has liked: 387 times
Been liked: 714 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby LMA » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Plenty of Carlton talk in here today. Amber must be loving it, his 2 favourite clubs in the 1 thread :)
LMA
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:42 pm

LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
LMA wrote:If they are willing to pay 700k per year then he is worth a first rounder

How much we pay him has nothing to do with it, as Ive said we could get him via PSD anyway

I don't reckon Polec and his management would go to the Draft. Different scenario I know but I'm pretty sure Free Agency compensation is based on the value of the contract

Not a free agent. Could go for nothing if Port demand too much, not sure who else might be wanting to pick him up ahead of North for the money he's talking about. If that happens Port get zilch. Likely will make a trade for a late second or even early third round pick. Out of step with the contract but North would hold all the cards and really any trade they offer would have a touch of charity, given the fact they probably don't have to part with anything.

Also wouldn't make sense to pay Polec overs initially and also give away valuable draft assets. The strategy would be to pay Polec up front, then as their drafted lads demand more, Polec's wage decreases thus allowing the space required.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby Spargo » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:38 am

Grahaml wrote:
LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Not a free agent. Could go for nothing if Port demand too much, not sure who else might be wanting to pick him up ahead of North for the money he's talking about. If that happens Port get zilch. Likely will make a trade for a late second or even early third round pick. Out of step with the contract but North would hold all the cards and really any trade they offer would have a touch of charity, given the fact they probably don't have to part with anything.

Also wouldn't make sense to pay Polec overs initially and also give away valuable draft assets. The strategy would be to pay Polec up front, then as their drafted lads demand more, Polec's wage decreases thus allowing the space required.

BINGO.

Spargo
Coach

Postby LMA » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:54 am

Grahaml wrote:
LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

I know he's not a FA, that's why I said different scenario
LMA
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:36 am

Grahaml wrote:
LMA wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

No chance of a pick that low being the main piece for Port in this deal especially when he is going to be on over 700k average per year. We will get a first rounder for him or a 2nd round pick & a player. If Atley is packaged up in the deal, could end up being a first rounder + a player.
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:27 am

In - Ladhams, Powell-Pepper
Out - Dixon, Houston

Trengove in if Polec misses
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 am

What's Snelling got to do to get a game?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2590 times
Been liked: 1830 times

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:55 am

MW wrote:What's Snelling got to do to get a game?

Wait, basically, for a midfield spot to open up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:16 pm

Writing in theage.com.au, chief footy write Jake Niall says:

“Port Adelaide have told North Melbourne that any deal for midfielder Jared Polec will have to involve the Kangaroos' first draft pick.

“In a recent discussion between the clubs, Port Adelaide are understood to have suggested to North Melbourne that Polec would only be traded if that deal involved North's first pick, which would be pick nine on current ladder positions, without including the compensation pick Gold Coast would get for the departing Tom Lynch.

“Polec is viewed as likely to leave the Power and join North on a five-year deal, believed to exceed $600,000 a season, an offer that is significantly greater than Port's three-year offer of close to $500,000…

“Polec, 25, is not a free agent in his eighth season (when players first become eligible) because he changed clubs.”
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Bum Crack » Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:19 pm

Booney wrote:Writing in theage.com.au, chief footy write Jake Niall says:

“Port Adelaide have told North Melbourne that any deal for midfielder Jared Polec will have to involve the Kangaroos' first draft pick.

“In a recent discussion between the clubs, Port Adelaide are understood to have suggested to North Melbourne that Polec would only be traded if that deal involved North's first pick, which would be pick nine on current ladder positions, without including the compensation pick Gold Coast would get for the departing Tom Lynch.

“Polec is viewed as likely to leave the Power and join North on a five-year deal, believed to exceed $600,000 a season, an offer that is significantly greater than Port's three-year offer of close to $500,000…

“Polec, 25, is not a free agent in his eighth season (when players first become eligible) because he changed clubs.”

Pick 9. LOLOLOL
So you've seen everything have you?
Yep
Have you ever seen a man eat his own head?
No
Well you haven't seen everything then have you.
Bum Crack
Coach

Has liked: 320 times
Been liked: 890 times
Grassroots Team: Berri

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL