AFL media

Talk on the national game

Re: AFL media

Postby Pistol Pete » Fri May 25, 2018 6:01 pm

It almost sounds like Mr Rucci is promoting it himself. Which means he probably has something already lined up.
Pistol Pete

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm

I was on triple M Saturday morning and KG just cut me off totally, he didn't agree with me, had a big argument with Blewy and Jars and then hung up on me.

It was in regards to selling naming rights to Adelaide Oval.

Miserable prick.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 28, 2018 2:41 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I was on triple M Saturday morning and KG just cut me off totally, he didn't agree with me, had a big argument with Blewy and Jars and then hung up on me.

Miserable prick.

We're all ears....for or against?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon May 28, 2018 2:43 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:I was on triple M Saturday morning and KG just cut me off totally, he didn't agree with me, had a big argument with Blewy and Jars and then hung up on me.

Miserable prick.

I don't really see a problem with it if we're going to inject $5M per year into grassroots footy, my point was that we all referred to AAMI Stadium as Footy Park, the same would apply to Adelaide Oval, he went nuts.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 28, 2018 2:47 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Miserable prick.

I don't really see a problem with it if we're going to inject $5M per year into grassroots footy, my point was that we all referred to AAMI Stadium as Footy Park, the same would apply to Adelaide Oval, he went nuts.

Fence sitter here.

While I agree we'd all still call it Adelaide Oval, I don't like the idea of the name being sold off either.

Pretty sure there's gubminment legislation protecting the name, yes?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 28, 2018 2:58 pm

Im with LM here. Its not like its named after someone already. If it was the Chappell oval or Bradman Oval or something I could see an argument about not wanting to change it, but its just named after the city. who cares what its called, we all know its the Adelaide oval, it doesn't diminish the history of the oval, and that extra cash, provided it was spent properly, would be great.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 3:04 pm

I wonder if Adelaide Oval's role as one of this city's few attractions is playing a part in resistance to this.
If you call the oval something else, what other event/attraction has any cut through in the Eastern States or internationally from Adelaide?
The more often it's called SponsorsNameHere Oval, the less time Adelaide is mentioned.

Just a thought.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Booney wrote:

Miserable prick.

How would it find its way down to grassroots footy? Zero chance of that. SANFL only hold 1/4 of the oval income/revenue these days, Cricket, Port and Crows would have little interest in funds going there.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby MW » Mon May 28, 2018 3:06 pm

The meaning of the name 'Adelaide Oval' was gone the minute they brought in the bulldozers.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Mon May 28, 2018 3:24 pm

MW wrote:The meaning of the name 'Adelaide Oval' was gone the minute they brought in the bulldozers.

Really? I think the hill and scoreboard have been enough for it to feel like a modern day Adelaide Oval for me.

I can still picture the old stands, even the southern end prior to the Bradman Stand going up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon May 28, 2018 3:25 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder if Adelaide Oval's role as one of this city's few attractions is playing a part in resistance to this.
If you call the oval something else, what other event/attraction has any cut through in the Eastern States or internationally from Adelaide?
The more often it's called SponsorsNameHere Oval, the less time Adelaide is mentioned.

Just a thought.

Potentially true - but there seems to be similar hype about the new stadium in Perth, and I don't think that has suffered because its not called Perth Stadium or something.

Why not get tourism sa on board then, call it Barrossa oval or something.

Booney wrote:Really? I think the hill and scoreboard have been enough for it to feel like a modern day Adelaide Oval for me.

I can still picture the old stands, even the southern end prior to the Bradman Stand going up.

I personally think they have done an excellent job in redeveloping it into a modern stadium whilst still retaining the character of Adelaide oval. They could have just turned it into a concrete bowl, but the individual stands, scoreboard and hill means it retains some of the old character
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon May 28, 2018 3:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I wonder if Adelaide Oval's role as one of this city's few attractions is playing a part in resistance to this.

Just a thought.

Potentially true - but there seems to be similar hype about the new stadium in Perth, and I don't think that has suffered because its not called Perth Stadium or something.

That's actually a good example of where there's room for potential confusion:

You've Optus Stadium, but every time I hear it I think of Princes Park.
Stuff knows who sponsors Princes Park now, but it's still firmly imprinted in my mind as Optus Park.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon May 28, 2018 3:39 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Just a thought.

That's actually a good example of where there's room for potential confusion:

You've Optus Stadium, but every time I hear it I think of Princes Park.
Stuff knows who sponsors Princes Park now, but it's still firmly imprinted in my mind as Optus Park.

Princess Park is Ikon Park now.

Mate who lives a stones throw from Optus Stadium says all the signage, the public transport runs all say "Perth Stadium" and that's what the locals all call it.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 pm

Never ever sell naming rights! Should always remain Adelaide Oval
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4207 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby heater31 » Mon May 28, 2018 5:09 pm

Isn't it written to the rules of the SMA that no naming rights ever?

I'm sure that is what SACA members were told when voting for the formation of that body.....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon May 28, 2018 5:13 pm

heater31 wrote:Isn't it written to the rules of the SMA that no naming rights ever?

Correct, I think the government demanded it

There are a number of naming rights inside the venue - BankSA Roof Climb, Audi Club, Telstra Plaza
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby RB » Tue May 29, 2018 8:27 pm

They could sell the naming rights to Coopers - there are already two Coopers Stadiums in Adelaide, what's one more?
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Just a thought.

Booney wrote:Really? I think the hill and scoreboard have been enough for it to feel like a modern day Adelaide Oval for me.

I personally think they have done beyond an excellent job in redeveloping it into a modern stadium whilst still retaining the character of Adelaide oval. They could have just turned it into a concrete bowl, but the individual stands, scoreboard and hill means it retains some of the old character

For me I was against developing the Adelaide Oval initially and building a new stadium where the RAH now is. The redevelopment I think is the best thing this state has done in a very long time. Adelaide Oval looking back now went from being some terrible looking concrete terraces to the East and old, outdated stands with in some instances crappy looking wooden benches to the South and West to now being a theatre that portrays everything that is great about SA Football and Cricket. For me Adelaide Oval and not a sponsors name.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed May 30, 2018 9:46 am

You'll note that the great and iconic venues in Australia are not Insert Sponsors Name Here, they remain Adelaide Oval, Sydney Cricket Ground, Melbourne Cricket Ground. It's only secondary and new stadiums that have been branded.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby amber_fluid » Wed May 30, 2018 1:30 pm

Who cares what it’s called.
If they can make money from it, go for it.
Like Footy Park though it’ll always be Adelaide Oval regardless of the ‘name’ some sponsors gives it.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL