AFL media

Talk on the national game

AFL media

Postby Booney » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Sad day for many.

The Age's exceptional and much-loved chief football writer, Caroline Wilson, is stepping down from the role she has performed so expertly for the past 19 years.

Wilson, a true legend of Australian journalism, will remain with The Age as a regular AFL columnist and as a panellist on the Real Footy podcast, but said the time was right for her to reduce her workload.

Multi-award winning journalist Jake Niall will rejoin The Age as chief football writer in the new year.

"It's been a great privilege to have spent the past two decades covering the greatest sport in the world at one of the world's best newspapers," Wilson said.

"Although this is a melancholy day for me I'm so happy to be continuing as a contributor to The Age. Writing a weekly column during the football season and being involved with the podcast is the ideal transition for me to do other things and I'm so proud to be handing over the baton to my great friend and long-time colleague Jake Niall.

"Jake was the perfect successor and I know The Age will continue to set the agenda with its unique perspective and independent coverage of Australian Rules football."

Wilson has won two Walkleys, the Graham Perkin Australian Journalist of the Year award and the Harry Gordon prize as the Australian Sports Journalist of the Year. She has won multiple AFL media awards including the prestigious Alf Brown trophy. She was the first woman to be inducted into the MCG Media Hall of Fame and was honoured by the Australian Sports Commission with a lifetime achievement award.

"Caro is undoubtedly one of the top reporters in Australia," said The Age's editor Alex Lavelle.

"She would excel in any area of journalism, anywhere in the world. Fortunately for us, and our readers, she has been The Age's chief football writer for close to two decades. Her work ethic, energy and professionalism has never wavered. I look forward to continue working with her at The Age, and welcome Jake Niall back to be our chief football writer."

Niall worked at The Age for 20 years before moving to Fox Sports almost two years ago. He, too, is a Walkley winner, a proven newsbreaker and expert analyst who is one of the most respected voices on football.

"Jake will bring his own flair, passion and expertise to the role," Lavelle said.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7466 times
Been liked: 10753 times

Re: AFL media

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:22 pm

Please define "many"?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:24 pm

I didn’t mind Caro. Very good at her job
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3015 times
Been liked: 2383 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:44 pm

I cant stand Jake Niall
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3581 times

Postby valleys07 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:56 pm

I quite enjoy Caro's work.

Will be missed.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:35 pm

Cue Essendon supporters...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Gozu » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:38 pm

Is she still going to stick around on Footy Classified? Caro was the best in the business for mine.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:21 pm

I always enjoyed listening to her, although I think she has lost it a bit in recent years....no one feel flatter on her face when North survived in Melbourne post the Gold Coast suggested move.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby RustyCage » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Have always rated Caro highly, dont always agree with her but she speaks her mind and stands by what she says
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

AFL media

Postby Jim05 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:41 pm

Spargo wrote:Cue Essendon supporters...

Thought I’d have an ally, she hates North just as much as Essendon :)
Good riddance to her though
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm

she ain't going anywhere, just doesn't have the head job* anymore
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby JK » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:24 am

RustyCage wrote:Have always rated Caro highly, dont always agree with her but she speaks her mind and stands by what she says

Pretty much my thoughts too - None of the journo's get it right all the time. For her to have such longevity in a male dominated industry says plenty about her character too I reckon.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2984 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 am

I reckon the biggest feather in her cap was the information she got/gets.

Someone, somewhere is always willing to tell her what she wanted to know and what the readers wanted to read with the confidence in her to not be exposed. She has good sources who trust her, can't get higher praise than that for a journo I reckon.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:45 am

Several big names in the footy media are on the move, including Garry Lyon, Caroline Wilson and Jake Niall.

Lyon has left Channel 9 to take on a new role at Fox Footy, with the lure of returning to commentary reportedly swaying his decision.

Lyon had been with the network for over two decades on programs like the AFL Footy Show and Footy Classified, rising to become one of the top football media personalities.

A Channel 9 spokeswoman said the network wished Lyon well for the next stage of his career.

“We’ve been great supporters of Garry for more than 20 years.”

“He’s a great talent and we wish him all the very best for the next chapter of his career.”

Lyon said he was excited by the challenge of his new role at Fox Footy.

“I can’t wait to kick-off the 2018 season with my new Fox Footy teammates,” he said.

“I’m looking forward to debating all of the latest footy news with Derm [Brereton] and Jase [Dunstall] and getting a first-hand look at the famous Fox Footy Lab.”

Lyon will join St Kilda champion and retiree Nick Riewoldt as Fox Footy’s prized new recruits for 2018.

Meanwhile, Caroline Wilson has stepped down as the chief football reporter at The Age with Fox Footy’s Jake Niall to take over in the new year.

Wilson will maintain her presence at the publication, however, staying on as a weekly columnist and podcast panelist.

“It’s been a great privilege to have spent the past two decades covering the greatest sport in the world at one of the world’s best newspapers,” Wilson said

“Although this is a melancholy day for me I’m so happy to be continuing as a contributor to The Age. Writing a weekly column during the football season and being involved with the podcast is the ideal transition for me to do other things and I’m so proud to be handing over the baton to my great friend and long-time colleague Jake Niall.

“Jake was the perfect successor and I know The Age will continue to set the agenda with its unique perspective and independent coverage of Australian Rules football.”

Niall will rejoin the publication, having left in 2016 to join Fox Footy.

The Age editor Alex Lavelle thanked Wilson for her service and said he was looking forward to working with Niall again.

“Caro is undoubtedly one of the top reporters in Australia,” Lavelle said.

“She would excel in any area of journalism, anywhere in the world. Fortunately for us, and our readers, she has been The Age‘s chief football writer for close to two decades. Her work ethic, energy and professionalism has never wavered. I look forward to continue working with her at The Age, and welcome Jake Niall back to be our chief football writer.

“Jake will bring his own flair, passion and expertise to the role,” he said.

Wilson’s announcement comes as she looks to reduce her workload after almost two decades in the role.

She steps down as one of the most highly decorated football media personalities having won multiple Walkley awards and a Quill award for her coverage of the Essendon supplements scandal, in addition to multiple awards from other organisations.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby bertiebeatle » Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:35 am

Caro is just about the only person i listen to on 5AA during footy season. Very good to listen to
bertiebeatle
Under 18s

Has liked: 59 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:47 pm

Booney wrote:I reckon the biggest feather in her cap was the information she got/gets.

Someone, somewhere is always willing to tell her what she wanted to know and what the readers wanted to read with the confidence in her to not be exposed. She has good sources who trust her, can't get higher praise than that for a journo I reckon.

Yup

It's obvious she had a direct line to Demetriou when he was in cahrge and was used as the unofficial spokesman for the AFL judging by her columns and the way show would defend the Cypriot Greek

bertiebeatle wrote:Caro is just about the only person i listen to on 5AA during footy season. Very good to listen to

Yep after Bone got boned would be the only 5AA segment I'd listen to and even then when Bone was around didn't care much for the rest of the show anyways.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby amber_fluid » Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:29 pm

I didn’t mind Caro.
To speak her mind in a male dominated industry couldn’t have been easy at times.

As for Gary Lyon, he can **** right off.
Never could stand the smug prick.
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2217 times
Been liked: 2508 times

Postby carey » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:23 pm

Port Win by 50 points last night, The Crows lose 2 nights ago but who’s front page of the Sunday Mail (crow Mail) yep you guessed it.

#newseasonnothinghaschanged
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2796 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby MW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:38 pm

carey wrote:Port Win by 50 points last night, The Crows lose 2 nights ago but who’s front page of the Sunday Mail (crow Mail) yep you guessed it.

#newseasonnothinghaschanged

:goodman:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby Spargo » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:40 pm

Reckon one of Carey’s chips with his late night yiros last night may have temporarily made it to his shoulder for that post...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5454 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Next

Board index   Football  AFL