Adelaide Crows 2018

Talk on the national game

Re: Adelaide Crows 2018

Postby bennymacca » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07 am

Booney wrote:Fogarty is a tank. It's amazing how kids like him, Wines, Powell-Pepper now come into the AFL system at 90kg+ at 19 and look ready to play at the top level, certainly look capable of taking the physical punishment.

Yep

Excited to see him in a season or two when he has a few preseasons under his belt. Don’t reckon he plays more than 10 games this year
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:14 am

I know you blokes rate him with his goal kicking efforts in recent seasons, but how the hell do you watch Jenkins every week without pulling your hair out? He has such little influence on games at times, now I know it was JLT on the weekend and season proper is a week away but he was a spectator for over a half on the weekend.

I was standing next to a pleasant Adelaide supporter who engaged in some good football conversation with me and a mate I was with. He kept saying to us "Watch Jenkins here", the next thing he said was "What's he doing?". His view was Jenkins contract was a bigger mistake than Lobbe at Port given Walker, McGovern and Lynch would be picked ahead of Jenkins and that the front half looks top heavy going into a season where most clubs are focusing on forward 50 pressure at ground level.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10779 times

Postby MW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:28 am

If JJ was 180cm, 80kg forward pocket, what would your opinion of him be?
I think the expectations of Jenkins being a crash the pack KPP is false even though that's his size.
He's there because he needs a tall defender to match him because of his size, but he runs like a mid so if the ball gets out and it's a footrace, he'll beat his opponent most times and run in and kick the goal. Hence his "joe the goose" reputation.
Then during games he's able to give Sauce a spell and try and break even in the ruck for 10% of the game.
I agree with the frustrations though cause he can go missing quite often.
At the end of the day, 40, 46, 62, 45 goals from the last 4 years in that role is not bad.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2609 times
Been liked: 1849 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:31 am

MW wrote:If JJ was 180cm, 80kg forward pocket, what would your opinion of him be?
I think the expectations of Jenkins being a crash the pack KPP is false even though that's his size.
He's there because he needs a tall defender to match him because of his size, but he runs like a mid so if the ball gets out and it's a footrace, he'll beat his opponent most times and run in and kick the goal. Hence his "joe the goose" reputation.
Then during games he's able to give Sauce a spell and try and break even in the ruck for 10% of the game.
At the end of the day, 40, 46, 62, 45 goals from the last 4 years in that role is not bad.

They are good hauls, no doubt about it, but the game changes and teams have to change the way they play and the evolution we've seen in the past 18-24 months might not be the best thing for his game, his out the back beat his opponent game.

Me, I'd risk him in the air and play a flanker on him who can match him at ground level and run away from him when Adelaide don't have the ball.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby mighty hounds » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:42 am

Booney wrote:I know you blokes rate him with his goal kicking efforts in recent seasons, but how the hell do you watch Jenkins every week without pulling your hair out? He has such little influence on games at times, now I know it was JLT on the weekend and season proper is a week away but he was a spectator for over a half on the weekend.

I was standing next to a pleasant Adelaide supporter who engaged in some good football conversation with me and a mate I was with. He kept saying to us "Watch Jenkins here", the next thing he said was "What's he doing?". His view was Jenkins contract was a bigger mistake than Lobbe at Port given Walker, McGovern and Lynch would be picked ahead of Jenkins and that the front half looks top heavy going into a season where most clubs are focusing on forward 50 pressure at ground level.

This is why I grow my hair in summer Booney. Jenkins is the most frustrating Crows player I’ve had to watch
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:53 am

Booney wrote:
MW wrote:If JJ was 180cm, 80kg forward pocket, what would your opinion of him be?

They are good hauls, no doubt about it, but the game changes and teams have to change the way they play and the evolution we've seen in the past 18-24 months might not be the best thing for his game, his out the back beat his opponent game.

Me, I'd risk him in the air and play a flanker on him who can match him at ground level and run away from him when Adelaide don't have the ball.

Boon 100% correct re playing a smaller bloke on him, but I think his strength in a more stationary 1on1 marking contest stops that.

I think sides did it with Wingard and putting a medium def instead of small def on him as he marks well over head. So basically not a size match up but a skill set match up.

I dont think you will get to many arguments re JJ from Crows fans. His impact on a game is fiercely dependent on the mids and HBFs dominance
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby cracka » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:18 am

Booney wrote:

That's exactly what Richmond did. He has to find something different to do or he'll be on the scrap heap very shortly
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 462 times
Been liked: 567 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:21 am

Fogarty will squeeze him out when Walker comes back.
Might be the 1st player traded mid season
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby mots02 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:23 am

Booney wrote:

I'd take that match up. Isolate him all day every day on a smaller player
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby MW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:25 am

If they isolate a small on him, you'd think the coaches would instruct him to go one on one in the goal square and open it out.
MW
Coach

Postby mots02 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:40 am

MW wrote:If they isolate a small on him, you'd think the coaches would instruct him to go one on one in the goal square and open it out.

Yep which is why most coaches wont risk a small on him for long periods. Not great at shoving around guys his own size but will easily out muscle a smaller player
mots02
League - Top 5

Has liked: 138 times
Been liked: 880 times
Grassroots Team: Reynella

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:43 am

Ultimately Jenkins relies ( as noted above ) on the movement from the back half to compliment the assets he has, much of the reason he was poor on Saturday was Port didn't allow Adelaide "out" too often, certainly not with ease anyway. This resulted in Adelaide's defence having to stay at home and Port having to pick our way through the zones, thus Port had nearly 100 more touches.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:49 am

Boon, Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the weekend of AFC. I only watched moments of the game. Seemed a game of 2 halves, crows controlling 1 and port the other?
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:58 am

I personally think Jenkins gets un fairly maligned sometimes. He is our fourth forward behind Betts walker and lynch, maybe even fifth behind McGovern, so his returns are outstanding for that type of player.

Go look at the 4th/5th best forward in any other team.

Having said that he’s a bloody big unit that should impact the game more, no doubt about that.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:02 pm

Footy Smart wrote:Boon, Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the weekend of AFC. I only watched moments of the game. Seemed a game of 2 halves, crows controlling 1 and port the other?

It certainly was.

I must admit I wasn't watching your lot that closely, but, Gibson certainly worked hard and looked like the seasoned campaigner that he is, I'm not sure he makes your best side but with Walker and Smith out to start the year ( and maybe B.Crouch ) I think he'll probably play round 1.

Fogarty looks like he could walk right in, probably needs to drop a few kg's of puppy fat but I'd think come mid year he'll have that done.

Ellis-Yoleman, he's been on the protein shakes! Is there room for him and Greenwood in the midfield rotations? I'd say not, Greenwood would have that spot.

I'm not a big wrap for Hampton, he didn't do anything to change my mind about that on Saturday.

Gibbs has slotted in nicely by the look of it, a little like Rockliff with Port, can play inside but prefers to be outside and adds balance to a side perhaps needing that player ( although B.Crouch already does that for Adelaide ). I think he is going to allow Sloane to drift forward from time to time.

Adelaide controlled the clearances in the first half and player their normal direct route to goal, after half time Port managed to get the ball forward when Ryder ( and Howard ) got first hands in the middle and gained repeat entries as we held you up in the middle coming out.

Pyke certainly made mention of that in his post match comments, you can't hesitate coming out of defence against us, we zone up well through the middle and Adelaide turned it over a lot in this area in the third quarter. Certainly need to find someone to play that line breaker role that Smith plays, I don't think it's Douglas and I'm not sure Seedsman does enough as a defender to play in the back half and sling shot forward, Smith stills covers and opponent as his primary role.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Footy Smart » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Booney wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:Boon, Id be keen to hear your thoughts on the weekend of AFC. I only watched moments of the game. Seemed a game of 2 halves, crows controlling 1 and port the other?

It certainly was.

I must admit I wasn't watching your lot that closely, but, Gibson certainly worked hard and looked like the seasoned campaigner that he is, I'm not sure he makes your best side but with Walker and Smith out to start the year ( and maybe B.Crouch ) I think he'll probably play round 1.

Fogarty looks like he could walk right in, probably needs to drop a few kg's of puppy fat but I'd think come mid year he'll have that done.

Ellis-Yoleman, he's been on the protein shakes! Is there room for him and Greenwood in the midfield rotations? I'd say not, Greenwood would have that spot.

I'm not a big wrap for Hampton, he didn't do anything to change my mind about that on Saturday.

Gibbs has slotted in nicely by the look of it, a little like Rockliff with Port, can play inside but prefers to be outside and adds balance to a side perhaps needing that player ( although B.Crouch already does that for Adelaide ). I think he is going to allow Sloane to drift forward from time to time.

Adelaide controlled the clearances in the first half and player their normal direct route to goal, after half time Port managed to get the ball forward when Ryder ( and Howard ) got first hands in the middle and gained repeat entries as we held you up in the middle coming out.

Pyke certainly made mention of that in his post match comments, you can't hesitate coming out of defence against us, we zone up well through the middle and Adelaide turned it over a lot in this area in the third quarter. Certainly need to find someone to play that line breaker role that Smith plays, I don't think it's Douglas and I'm not sure Seedsman does enough as a defender to play in the back half and sling shot forward, Smith stills covers and opponent as his primary role.

Thanks, I saw Gibson get a bit of it but seemed to fumble.... I think he plays most of the year purely because we wont have a full list. At full strength he doesnt.

re the smith role, I think they have tried McKay back there the first 2 matches. While he does turn it over occasionally I think he can attempt that role. You cant replace AA players. Agreed Seedsman doesnt do enough defensively and is better on the wing and can hit the scoreboard.

Doedee i think gets first crack at Levers spot, I have been impressed with Jake Kelly and his growth over the past 12 months. His versatility is very handy across HB and as competitive as they come.
Footy Smart
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:41 pm

Good old Junk time Jenkins. It would be an interesting stat to see how many of these were late in games.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby MW » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:55 pm

case in point
MW
Coach

Postby hawks21 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:17 pm

For me the Crows should have almost put the game to bed by half time, in the first quarter we should have been a few more goals up. Some mistakes and rusty football (First game for a lot of the players) cost us easy goals.

Our pressure dropped right off in the last half and Port did what they pleased. The coaching group wasn't overly impressed with the lack of pressure from our mids and forwards in the 2nd half. In saying that, mid way through the last quarter the cue was in the rack, Talia finished the game at CHF for example...

Wouldn't take much out of the game at all except it was a decent first hit out for the lot of our senior players, dusting the cobwebs off for round 1.

Fogarty as mentioned above huge positive and CEY continued on his good preseason form, both probable starters against Essendon with Tex and BCrouch very unlikely to play round 1.
hawks21
Reserves

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 37 times

Postby Booney » Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:37 pm

hawks21 wrote:For me the Crows should have almost put the game to bed by half time, in the first quarter we should have been a few more goals up. Some mistakes and rusty football (First game for a lot of the players) cost us easy goals.

Our pressure dropped right off in the last half and Port did what they pleased. The coaching group wasn't overly impressed with the lack of pressure from our mids and forwards in the 2nd half. In saying that, mid way through the last quarter the cue was in the rack, Talia finished the game at CHF for example...

Wouldn't take much out of the game at all except it was a decent first hit out for the lot of our senior players, dusting the cobwebs off for round 1.

Fogarty as mentioned above huge positive and CEY continued on his good preseason form, both probable starters against Essendon with Tex and BCrouch very unlikely to play round 1.

Trial game or not, I doubt Pyke would have been too pleased with that as you note.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL