St Kilda

Talk on the national game

Re: St Kilda

Postby JK » Wed Oct 26, 2022 9:10 am

oldman wrote:You blokes missed the point. All the players I listed will be better playing in a team that doesn't rely on individual talent but rather plays a brand of football that puts team first with a strong coach. Maybe the reason the saints are deemed to be a home for little cloggers is because of the way in which the players have been coached over the last decade. I mean Watters and Richardson hardly set the world on fire before Ratten came in, clearly something went wrong in the second half of this year.

FWIW I reckon you're right mate. Loved Ratt's as a player and seems like a great bloke, not sold on him as a coach though. And for all those that like to pot Ross, he took 2 unlikely (historically) teams to GF's and sure they didn't win a flag, but no shame in losing to those Geelong and Hawthorn sides, nor Collingwood in 2010, albeit a freak bounce of the ball possibly the only reason they didn't get it done. The bloke is proven imho.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:09 pm

JK wrote:
oldman wrote:You blokes missed the point. All the players I listed will be better playing in a team that doesn't rely on individual talent but rather plays a brand of football that puts team first with a strong coach. Maybe the reason the saints are deemed to be a home for little cloggers is because of the way in which the players have been coached over the last decade. I mean Watters and Richardson hardly set the world on fire before Ratten came in, clearly something went wrong in the second half of this year.

FWIW I reckon you're right mate. Loved Ratt's as a player and seems like a great bloke, not sold on him as a coach though. And for all those that like to pot Ross, he took 2 unlikely (historically) teams to GF's and sure they didn't win a flag, but no shame in losing to those Geelong and Hawthorn sides, nor Collingwood in 2010, albeit a freak bounce of the ball possibly the only reason they didn't get it done. The bloke is proven imho.

Saints were the best side in 09
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby tigerpie » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:14 pm

Dutchy wrote:You would think the last thing the Saints need is another St Kilda person

Especially when him and his new coaching group have only ever came second.
They just couldn't get it done on the day yet they're going back to the dry well.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:00 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
JK wrote:

They were beaten by the luckiest toe poke in GF history in 2009 & the unluckiest bounce in GF history in 2010. I know a couple of Saints supporters still haven’t got over what went on in the prelim at Footy Pk in 2004…
People seem to forget this.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Dirty dog » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:17 pm

Spargo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
JK wrote:

They were beaten by the luckiest toe poke in GF history in 2009 & the unluckiest bounce in GF history in 2010. I know a couple of Saints supporters still haven’t got over what went on in the prelim at Footy Pk in 2004…

I named my dog The G~Train
Dirty dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 187 times
Grassroots Team: Kadina

Postby oldman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:33 pm

Booney wrote:In the 09 GF St Kilda had :
King, Montagna, Riewoldt, Milne, Hayes, Dal Santo, Ball, Goddard, Fisher, Koschitzke

In the 13 GF Fremantle had :
Sandilands, Hill, Pavlich, Mundy, Crowley, McPharlin, Johnson, Mayne, Barlow, Neale

For mine those mentioned trump the current St Kilda list.

Marshall, Steele, Gresham, Sinclair, Hill, Clarke, Coffield, Billings, Owens, Windhager, King, Membrey, Higgins, Battle, Howard

I don't see that Membrey, Higgins, Howard, Marshall or Hill have any improvement in them.

I agree that the 09 GF team appears to be better however that's looking back on finished careers. It is possible that the current group could emulate the 09 group if coached correctly and given the time to do so.
oldman
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 62 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby saintal » Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:23 pm

Spargo wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
JK wrote:

Erm thanks for bringing those up :lol: Attended all three games and remember them as though they were only yesterday
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:08 pm

After returning from his ACL Jack Hayes has broken a bone in his foot and will miss 10 weeks.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7488 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:38 am

Booney wrote:After returning from his ACL Jack Hayes has broken a bone in his foot and will miss 10 weeks.

:(
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 20, 2023 7:41 pm

Nick riewoldt vs Brett Ratten :lol: :lol:
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby mal » Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:45 pm

Ross Lyon is a very good coach , he got SK and FR into Grand Finals
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby mal » Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:18 pm

SK finish 6th with 13 wins
Another very good result for a Ross Lyon team
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1152 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:00 am

mal wrote:SK finish 6th with 13 wins
Another very good result for a Ross Lyon team

Agree... he's not everyone's cup of tea due to the style of football but its hard to deny his record of improving football sides which all a coach can do.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5588 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:06 pm

Jack Sinclair takes home the Trevor Barker Award (B+F) for the second straight year

J. Sinclair 237 votes
C. Wilkie 228
R. Marshall 205
M. Owens 172
N. Wanganeen-Milera 164
B. Crouch 142
B. Hill 142
J. Higgins 119
J. Steele 118
J. Battle 115
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..